PDA

View Full Version : Worst rejection line?

David Bailey
8th-July-2005, 11:54 AM
In the same vein as the "How do you like it" thread, I thought I'd ask people what's the worst way to, ahem, decline interest romantically?

KatieR
8th-July-2005, 12:01 PM
In the same vein as the "How do you like it" thread, I thought I'd ask people what's the worst way to, ahem, decline interest romantically?

Thats opening up a can of worms isnt it? Still I have to say the most insulting thing I have ever heard and I have to say I have heard it on more than one occassion is..

'You are really nice BUT......' :angry:

that but is the killer or there are variations on this... You're a really great friend, BUT... and it goes on.... Ive heard just about every one.

None of these poll options are my prefered option to give. I think they are all insulting. I prefer to give proper reasoning behind my lack of interest as tactfully as possible. I know I have heard one if not all of these lines at some point or other and know how painful they can be.

Purple Sparkler
8th-July-2005, 12:04 PM

C'est un peu confusing! You ask what the worst rejection line is, but the poll is for the PREFERRED one! Can you clarify for poor brain addled forumites like myself? :flower:

David Bailey
8th-July-2005, 12:16 PM
C'est un peu confusing! You ask what the worst rejection line is, but the poll is for the PREFERRED one! Can you clarify for poor brain addled forumites like myself? :flower:
Err, I'm stupid?

OK, please ignore the title, and select the rejection line you would most "like" to receive, given a choice - i.e. the lesser of the evils.

Hope that's clear, I'm going to go bang my head until I make sense...

Purple Sparkler
8th-July-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, too late, I picked the one I'd least like. The least worst is 'I don't want to spoil our friendship' I think. At least that way you know that you matter to them in some way.

All the others suck. Especially the ones I've actually had. :tears: :(

Lynn
8th-July-2005, 12:44 PM
None of these poll options are my prefered option to give. I think they are all insulting. I prefer to give proper reasoning behind my lack of interest as tactfully as possible. I would agree, but I have used them, esp the 'I'm very busy one' - ie not actually saying 'I won't go out for that date with you because...' I give a genuine reason (I am usually very busy) but hope that its a 'gentle' let down. I never do the asking (I'm too shy :blush: )

And to be honest, a lot of the time the real reason is the last one - but I would hate to say that to someone. I've had some persistent guys :flower: and I have tried the 'spoil the friendship', 'you are a great person'... but usually have had to end up saying that I know it wouldn't work and lets just be friends. And I am still friends with them, so it must have been ok. :hug:

KatieR
8th-July-2005, 12:51 PM
I would agree, but I have used them, esp the 'I'm very busy one' - ie not actually saying 'I won't go out for that date with you because...' I give a genuine reason (I am usually very busy) but hope that its a 'gentle' let down. I never do the asking (I'm too shy :blush: )

And to be honest, a lot of the time the real reason is the last one - but I would hate to say that to someone. I've had some persistent guys :flower: and I have tried the 'spoil the friendship', 'you are a great person'... but usually have had to end up saying that I know it wouldn't work and lets just be friends. And I am still friends with them, so it must have been ok. :hug:

Yes, unfortunately there are times when the above options are actually true. How to you explain to a person that you just aren't interested in them romantically.

I find it very frustrating as I often fall for the wrong person ie they are not interested in me, already have a partner or are interested in me say they want to spend the rest of my life with me then go on a drug fuelled bender cheat and attempt to come back to me every 3 months or so, totally destroying my resolve.

but I also find that there are guys who would be the most wonderful partner in the world but you just dont find them romantically desirable but would love to be their friend. I find that terribly frustrating. :sad:

drathzel
8th-July-2005, 12:57 PM
I would rather someone told me straight.... I just dont fancy you! The other fob off's end up either hurting or still leaving you with a sliver of hope. :flower:

Lynn
8th-July-2005, 12:58 PM
but I also find that there are guys who would be the most wonderful partner in the world but you just dont find them romantically desirable but would love to be their friend. I find that terribly frustrating. :sad: :yeah: Yep! And they are usually wonderful guys who would treat you really well and they arrive in your life just when you really want a relationship...but you know it would never work. :tears: The plus side is that you can get a great friendship instead. :flower:

KatieR
8th-July-2005, 12:59 PM
:yeah: Yep! And they are usually wonderful guys who would treat you really well and they arrive in your life just when you really want a relationship...but you know it would never work. :tears: The plus side is that you can get a great friendship instead. :flower:

And you never can have too many friends :)

Lynn
8th-July-2005, 01:01 PM
The 'don't want to spoil the friendship' one might not be an 'excuse'. I know people who have had a series of relationships that haven't worked, really care about someone as friend and are so worried if they started dating and with their track record it wouldn't work, they would lose the person completely.

KatieR
8th-July-2005, 01:05 PM
The 'don't want to spoil the friendship' one might not be an 'excuse'. I know people who have had a series of relationships that haven't worked, really care about someone as friend and are so worried if they started dating and with their track record it wouldn't work, they would lose the person completely.

It can definately being a scary line to cross. Because if it does fall apart you risk losing the friendship and its always harder to go back to how things were after there has been a romantic involvement.

Lynn
8th-July-2005, 01:11 PM
It can definately being a scary line to cross. Because if it does fall apart you risk losing the friendship and its always harder to go back to how things were after there has been a romantic involvement. And if you don't you always wonder what 'might have been' :tears:

KatieR
8th-July-2005, 01:22 PM
And if you don't you always wonder what 'might have been' :tears:

I have to admit thought that I am a big believer in taking the chance. We only get one life (at least that we know of :) ) and if you dont take chances and risks then what are we here for?

and that goes not just for relationships but all factors in life. Work, travel, friendships, relationships.

this is something that I wrote a while ago when I was asked by someone to describe my thoughts on what life is. I know its a bit off topic but it still pertains to taking risks in life.

'Life is a series of challenges that makes us the person we are. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, after all, to matter: to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all. '

JoC
8th-July-2005, 01:25 PM
I would rather someone told me straight.... I just dont fancy you!
Be great if everyone could agree to be so upfront and agree not to be crushed. We humans are such a wobbly lot sometimes though aren't we? Might sound ok coming from one person but not another.

I know if I'm to be told something negative, the worst thing ever for me is being quietly taken for a walk, or to a quiet place, and with sombre, guilt-laden mood be told gently. I feel awful, the person who's just spoken to me feels awful.

Best case scenario I think for me is if the point can be made (and the required information transmitted) with humour, all will turn out much better. Better to be teased about such things sometimes. If things are only at the initial approach stage then hopefully it's not really too much of an issue.

Lot of unrequited love (and lust...) about in the world.

I wonder how many more people would find a partner they're happy with if 'asking' wasn't an issue and rejection was agreed to be no big deal.

LMC
8th-July-2005, 01:56 PM
Walks in

Looks

Walks out again

bigdjiver
8th-July-2005, 02:12 PM
Walks in

Looks

Walks out againIt's the way you do it.

I worked for a fashion garment producer. He was looking for models. I heard him arrange an appointment, and for once was impressed by what I was hearing. She duly appeared, with full "WOW" factor, the doing the model walk into his office.

He glanced up. "Too tall".

She did not break step, pivoted beautifully, end of catwalk style, and disappeared.

---

There was a Ceroc guy who would walk in, survey, say "No totty", and move on to the next venue. (At no cost, one of the benefits of Rover cards.)

bigdjiver
8th-July-2005, 02:18 PM
(as she is getting dressed) "That was the last time, I am getting married tomorrow."

(happened to a work colleague)

drathzel
8th-July-2005, 02:20 PM
Be great if everyone could agree to be so upfront and agree not to be crushed. We humans are such a wobbly lot sometimes though aren't we? Might sound ok coming from one person but not another.

I know if I'm to be told something negative, the worst thing ever for me is being quietly taken for a walk, or to a quiet place, and with sombre, guilt-laden mood be told gently. I feel awful, the person who's just spoken to me feels awful.

Best case scenario I think for me is if the point can be made (and the required information transmitted) with humour, all will turn out much better. Better to be teased about such things sometimes. If things are only at the initial approach stage then hopefully it's not really too much of an issue.

Lot of unrequited love (and lust...) about in the world.

I wonder how many more people would find a partner they're happy with if 'asking' wasn't an issue and rejection was agreed to be no big deal.
:yeah: to it all. I can find it hard to take critism but i would still prefer someone to say "sorry but i dont fancy you" meaning i can pick myself up, brush myself off and start again! :flower:

DianaS
8th-July-2005, 02:39 PM
okay so we're over
so I suppose a s***is out of the question

Don't ask! :rofl:

JoC
8th-July-2005, 02:51 PM
How about use of non-verbal communication such as cringing, cowering, making of crucifix signs, covering eyes in horror... Or could those be misinterpreted as 'call me' in certain circles..?

drathzel
8th-July-2005, 03:03 PM
How about use of non-verbal communication such as cringing, cowering, making of crucifix signs, covering eyes in horror... Or could those be misinterpreted as 'call me' in certain circles..?

Just playing hard to get :whistle:

philsmove
8th-July-2005, 03:28 PM
"Dear John .................................................. .."
:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

drathzel
8th-July-2005, 03:37 PM
"Dear John .................................................. .."
:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

especially when thats not your name :hug:

Lory
8th-July-2005, 03:37 PM
How about a text saying, 'please DO NOT contact me again'

DianaS
8th-July-2005, 04:23 PM
How about a text saying, 'please DO NOT contact me again'
You had on too :hug:
Hmm... how about a note on your windscreen that any passer by could see :tears: :sick: :really: :what: :mad:

angelique
8th-July-2005, 08:41 PM
"Hi, there, let me introduce you to Imogen Biglips.....my new girlfriend.
You're history....chow Bella xx"

:eek:

David Bailey
9th-July-2005, 10:17 AM
You're history....chow Bella xx"
"Eat Bella"? That's a bit of a weird exit line... :confused:

:innocent:

Lory
9th-July-2005, 10:38 AM
You had one too :hug:

Not me but someone I know! :sad:

stewart38
11th-July-2005, 04:04 PM

Someone said to me once after 3 months, I like you but liking you isnt enough !

short but fair

very hard to turn around and say to someone 'look i just dont fancy you' !

Especially if you see other qualities

LMC
11th-July-2005, 05:15 PM
None at all is fairly annoying :mad:

NEXT!

Gojive
11th-July-2005, 05:40 PM
None at all is fairly annoying :mad:

NEXT!

"NEXT!" .....Would be a cruel way of ending I think :tears: