PDA

View Full Version : Spinning around...

Stuart M
16th-April-2002, 01:40 PM
Maybe this should belong in a special section for Taxi dancers, but I'm sure other gents would benefit, so I'm putting it here. Maybe the ladies can give us some extra guidance as well!

Anyway, the question is: how can you show a woman how to spin properly? The most common difficulty female newcomers have seems to be in spinning on the spot. I know teaching isn't the main brief of a Taxi, but they do ask these sorts of questions and I'm always struggling for a good answer.

I know there's general guidance - like don't "stir" your partner around in a return, etc. but these are more about what the guy should be doing. Are there any other things we gents could be doing to help?

On a related point, Franck, a number of new women who came along recently have been wearing soft-soled training shoes (there were 4 last night), which are a nightmare for spinning in. I could see they were getting frustrated with their problems spinning, and it may have put them off coming back. Does the publicity say anything about suitable footwear?

DavidB
16th-April-2002, 02:19 PM
One of the biggest things I have been shown is to prepare for a spin by twisting your body in the opposite direction. So if you want to spin to your right, you start with your weight on your left foot, and your body twisted to the left. To spin, you step onto your right, untwist your body, and you should get enough momentum to get round the spin.

This action happens naturally when spinning in Ceroc. Think of any move like a Yoyo, or First Move. Just before the spin, you are twisted in the opposite direction. And when you do a return, you have usually just spun the other way, and are already twisted.

But when you are trying to show someone how to spin, they are usually just standing normally, and have not prepared in any way. You have to be a very good dancer to create a spin from nothing.

David

Franck
30th-April-2002, 10:03 AM
Whoops, Stuart, sorry about the late reply, I had not noticed that thread...

Originally posted by Stuart M
Anyway, the question is: how can you show a woman how to spin properly? The most common difficulty female newcomers have seems to be in spinning on the spot. I know teaching isn't the main brief of a Taxi, but they do ask these sorts of questions and I'm always struggling for a good answer.

I know there's general guidance - like don't "stir" your partner around in a return, etc. but these are more about what the guy should be doing. Are there any other things we gents could be doing to help? As you say, the main point for the ladies is to spin / turn on the spot, i.e. they should finish their turn / spin at the same place they started it. Most of the problem, will come from lack of balance and confidence. In effect, ladies should spin / turn on the ball of one foot (typically left foot when spinning left, and right foot when spinning right), this requires that some muscles in their leg are strong / developed enough for spinning, and therefore, only comes after a bit of practise. A lot of women will notice that they have a stronger leg, on which they find spinning easier...
To start with, beginners will often compensate by using both feet while spinning / turning, resulting in a travelling motion. (This is not a huge problem in freestyle, though it does force the men to follow their partner around the floor a bit :) )
As a taxi-dancer, you should first reassure them that they will get better over time, and that they should practise spinning as often as possible. They should try to slow down their spin / turn, as this will prevent the over-enthusiastic thrust which often leads to more loss of balance.
You could also mention the Beginners workshops which usually offer some help in that area.

On a related point, Franck, a number of new women who came along recently have been wearing soft-soled training shoes (there were 4 last night), which are a nightmare for spinning in. I could see they were getting frustrated with their problems spinning, and it may have put them off coming back. Does the publicity say anything about suitable footwear? With regards to foot-wear, we tend not to recommend any particular type of shoes when starting.
While hard-sole shoes might help the spin, they also can mask the other problems I mentionned above, and, my view is that women have very varied preferences in shoes for dancing, and I would rather they spent a few weeks learning to dance and finding out that way which shoes are best for them, rather than invest in a pair of shoes that might prove unsuitable for them later...

I hope this helps, :nice:

Franck.

John S
30th-April-2002, 10:33 AM
All I would like to add to what has been said is to advise the person trying to spin NOT to look down at his/her feet, or bend his/her body, as that will usually result in falling over.

There's a good list of spinning tips (and also tips for guys leading spins etc) on the wonderful jiveaholic site (no apologies for plugging it again) at http://www.jiveoholic.org.uk/

Jiveaholic also refers out to another site at http://www.eijkhout.net/lead_follow which I haven't explored yet, but seems to cover an enormous range of dance topics.

In my experience, the average lady dancer can spin better than the average guy dancer - possibly they have to, as a lot of the male spinning is optional, so maybe some of the ladies reading this can say how they learned to do it so well?

Wendy
30th-April-2002, 09:44 PM
Spinning is a tricky one!

I love spinning to the left (must have a stronger left leg for some reason) but hate spinning to the right
(feel like my shoes are made of chewing gum !).

Practise makes perfect and all that.

Having said that, when I practise at home, I always end up banging my hand into corners of bookshelves etc. Well, what's another bruise in the pursuit of excellence ....

Wendy xxx

Stuart M
1st-May-2002, 08:56 AM
Loads of good advice - thanks all.

Something else I tried on Monday to help with this, was to actually try dancing the woman's part. Yes, I know, next it'll be admitting how comfortable silk underwear is, experimenting with make-up, volunteering to demo with Franck :what: ....well, hang on, I'd have to draw a line somewhere :grin:

But seriously, it did show me just how difficult it is for women learning - I was hopeless at everything other than an Octopus - and I'll be more patient in future.

And thanks to Wendy and Janet for letting me try dancing the other part on Monday (though I think they were repayed with a right good laugh at my expense! :sorry )

Janet
1st-May-2002, 02:08 PM
And thanks to Wendy and Janet for letting me try dancing the other part on Monday
No problem Stuart. Anytime! :devil:

(though I think they were repayed with a right good laugh at my expense! :sorry )
Yup... I haven't had so much fun in ages (at dancing that is! :yum: )

So, now you can testify to all the guys out there that in fact following is not as easy as it looks!
And if you don't, I'll tell everyone just how 'good' you were.
Or was it all just down to my poor leading??? :wink:

Franck, it looks like a 'St Patrick's style' lesson might be in order for Glasgow?

As for spinning, it is all an illusion ....

Janet

Stuart M
3rd-May-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Janet

Franck, it looks like a 'St Patrick's style' lesson might be in order for Glasgow?

I never knew a "roles reversed" class had a proper name.

Up to you, Franck, but if my effort was anything to go by the drop-out rate would be pretty high! Besides, aren't we trying to stop the gals from ever thinking they can lead the dance:D ?

I'll give it another go , though - certainly helps me understand all the mistakes women make on the dance-floor (sorry, I mean the mistakes we guys make which they always follow...)!

Thanks for the offer Janet :cheers:

Franck
3rd-May-2002, 10:46 AM
I never knew a "roles reversed" class had a proper name. I doesn't. It's just that the last "role reversal" class I taught was at the St Patrick's party night in Aberdeen...

The hope, is that men understand how hard it is to follow when the lead is too "subtle" :wink: or non-existent :sad: , and the women, realise how hard it is to lead and think ahead of the next move (especially when men insist on leading !!! )

I might do that for the next Glasgow night (11th May), which I am reliably informed also happens to be the 'UK day of dance'... Whatever that means :nice:

Franck.

jiveoholic
9th-May-2002, 09:17 PM
I am starting to realise that a man spinning and a lady spinning might be more different than one thinks.

When a lady spins, she is lead by a man. She twists her body in the opposite way as has been described and then rebounds off then man's hand (without using her feet!) with a rigid arm. It has to be done this way, otherwise a man cannot lead a double spin rather than a single (in the same time that is!).

When I occasionally build up the courage to try a full man spin then I spin myself and that HAS to be with my feet because the lady cannot help me. Even when I do a man's catapult from a sway, the lady usually does not know what to do and I get no help being spun round 1.5 turns, so I have to do it myself.

I wonder whether it is about time to introduce a few standard moves where the lady leads the man to spin!

I am beginning to think that one of the important points with spinning (as a follower) is that it is done from the arms and not the feet. This of course fits perfectly well with the fact that when stepping in and out on normal jive moves, it is the arms that change the direction of motion and not braking with the feet. Turning therfore only differs from stepping in and out because it is about angular mometum change rather than lateral. Well that has now confused everything!

Franck
10th-May-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by jiveoholic
I am starting to realise that a man spinning and a lady spinning might be more different than one thinks.

When a lady spins, she is lead by a man. She twists her body in the opposite way as has been described and then rebounds off then man's hand (without using her feet!) with a rigid arm. It has to be done this way, otherwise a man cannot lead a double spin rather than a single (in the same time that is!).I am not sure that this is true. Both and women would normally use their own momentum for spinning, the man leading is only there to provide the timing of the spin, not the energy for it.
I do not think you can really lead a double spin, this is up to your partner. You can certainly emphasize your action, to encourage her to double spin, but at the end of the day it will be up to her. Women will use the manÕs hand , but certainly do not have to (as demonstrated in Òair dancingÓ when there is no hand contact), and either of you should still be able to double / treble spin.

I wonder whether it is about time to introduce a few standard moves where the lady leads the man to spin! Oh, no! :really: that would be the thin end of the wedge, next thing, youÔll have women leading... :grin:
Your partner should not have to lead you at all into a spin, in fact, she should not feel anything different at all prior to the spin.

I am beginning to think that one of the important points with spinning (as a follower) is that it is done from the arms and not the feet. This of course fits perfectly well with the fact that when stepping in and out on normal jive moves, it is the arms that change the direction of motion and not braking with the feet. Turning therfore only differs from stepping in and out because it is about angular mometum change rather than lateral. Well that has now confused everything! Ok, you have lost me now :wink: , but I think I agree, your arms / upper body play a very important part in spinning, and I often recommend that you use your elbows when practising to create momentum, one elbow chasing the other, but never getting any closer (like a dog chasing his own tail! :really: )

Franck

jiveoholic
13th-May-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Franck
I am not sure that this is true. Both and women would normally use their own momentum for spinning, the man leading is only there to provide the timing of the spin, not the energy for it. Franck

Hmmm....now this is getting interesting. Momentum comes from "force" which can either come from the man pushing or the lady using her feet. Before the spin she is at rest so clearly it cannot come from nowhere. Perhaps the question is whether jive turns/spins could be performed on rollerskates (without using a side push)! I would agree that some/many ladies do initiate their own turns. The question is whether they should do so. There is no doubt that my style means that I intiate their turns (although perhaps they carry them on somehow). Maybe there is a spectrum from light leads who just facilitate the lady's timing as you say and forceful leads, however even for these, the lady can just go limp and not allow his force to turn her.

I would be interested in feedback from a statistical sample of ladies on this one! I feel a survey coming on - if only I can work out how to do it!

Franck
13th-May-2002, 05:58 PM
Hmmm....now this is getting interesting. Momentum comes from "force" which can either come from the man pushing or the lady using her feet. Before the spin she is at rest so clearly it cannot come from nowhere. Well force can come from the upper body, by simply twisting your upper body, you can start a spin, without involving either a man or your feet.

I would agree that some/many ladies do initiate their own turns. The question is whether they should do so. There is no doubt that my style means that I intiate their turns (although perhaps they carry them on somehow). Maybe there is a spectrum from light leads who just facilitate the lady's timing as you say and forceful leads, however even for these, the lady can just go limp and not allow his force to turn her.

I would be interested in feedback from a statistical sample of ladies on this one! I feel a survey coming on - if only I can work out how to do it! I think we are talking about different things. The man will always initiate the turn / spin, ie he will lead his partner into a turn / spin. However, the lady will take the lead and initiate a turn / spin either through her own momentum or by using the man's hand as a prop to push against.
Either way, once the turn / spin is signalled, the man becomes pretty passive, only providing resistance to the lady's tension.
I believe this is the best way, as all too often the men try to be overly active and end up de-stabilizing their partners rather than help them.

Franck.

jiveoholic
13th-May-2002, 06:22 PM
Well force can come from the upper body, by simply twisting your upper body, you can start a spin, without involving either a man or your feet.

I think we are talking about different things. The man will always initiate the turn / spin, ie he will lead his partner into a turn / spin. However, the lady will take the lead and initiate a turn / spin either through her own momentum or by using the man's hand as a prop to push against.
Either way, once the turn / spin is signalled, the man becomes pretty passive, only providing resistance to the lady's tension.
I believe this is the best way, as all too often the men try to be overly active and end up de-stabilizing their partners rather than help them.

Franck.

Nicely put! Cetainly with respect to the lady pushing against the man's hand (ie she uses her hands to spin not her feet).

I'm interested in the concept of "using her own momentum". Is there a move etc that is an example of this for the lady spinning? I feel that I do this when I perform a full man-spin as I have no hand to push from.

Tiggerbabe
13th-May-2002, 08:38 PM
Can I be a statistical lady and reply?

I've been trying to think of a move where I spin without being lead into it by my partner and so far I've not come up with any - however it is Monday...................

I totally agree that the man will initiate the spin but it is really up to the lady how many spins she does. The gentleman can definitely facilitate a double or even triple spin but the more forceful guys do tend to knock you off balance. I think it is a tension thing - good dancers offer you resistance but let you spin by yourself. The problem comes, in my humble opinion, when less experienced dancers see girls spinning really well when dancing with someone else and think the only way to help is by flinging them in the opposite direction with all the force they can muster - this only serves to either bump you into an other couple, dislocate your shoulder or hasten your journey towards the floor.

There's no better feeling than that first double spin though..........well nothing that I can mention here before the watershed!:devil:

jiveoholic
13th-May-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
good dancers offer you resistance but let you spin by yourself.

Yes!

Just come back from Jive (Ceroc this time) and out of a statistical sample of one lady who expressed a preference(!) (the demonstrator), this was her comment.....

.....she likes resistance and tries to spin totally from her hand and not her feet. However some men offer less resistance so she has to use her feet too. Without being prompted, she stated that she prefers forceful men, but ones who just offer resistance and do not stir her around and knock her off balance!

David Franklin
14th-May-2002, 11:23 AM
Well force can come from the upper body, by simply twisting your upper body, you can start a spin, without involving either a man or your feet.

Hopefully this isn't over pedantic, but twisting your upper body to start a spin wouldn't work if it wasn't for the force between your feet and the ground. If you try doing exactly the same motion in a swivel chair, you'll find your lower body does an "equal and opposite" twist and there's no net spin at all. Without something to "push" against, angular momentum is conserved.

[Strictly speaking, it is possible to "turn" but not "spin". That is, you can change the direction in which you are facing - this is how a cat lands on its feet when dropped upside down - but this can't be used to generate a true spin where your whole body is turning the same way].

Anyone wanting even more boring technical detail may find this article of interest:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/1997/2/twisting.html

Getting back to men v.s. women - even the very good male spinners (Viktor, Joseph, Humphrey) tend to use quite different technique from the women. Women usually spin with both feet close together and close to the floor, and it can be hard to tell which foot they're using at any moment. The men tend to have the feet further apart, and if they spin one footed, often have the other foot way off the ground. My gut feeling is that spinning like this is easier to control but (relatively) slow. Because men tend to use more force when spinning, it's a good trade-off for them.

Apart from men not getting the practice, I think there are other things that make it harder for men.

Firstly, it's hard to "make the space" for a spin. Typically either the man has to travel a lot during the spin (hard!), or he and the lady spin simultaneously, which means he can't use her as a "stabilizer" at the end of the move, as she's coming out of a spin herself.

Secondly, just as the men aren't used to spinning, the women aren't used to waiting for a man to spin, and do tend to wander off! Personally, when I do fast multiple spins, I can't spot my partner, I spot the whole wall in the direction I was facing at the start of the spin. If she moves behind me, I'm in trouble. And if I accidentally travel on the spin, it's very rare for the women to compensate and catch me.

Thirdly, when you've got the balance absolutely right and pulled off 13 rapid revolutions, whispering to your partner afterwards "I need you to hold me up for a second - I'm really dizzy" isn't quite as acceptable as it is the other way around!

Dave

Franck
14th-May-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by David Franklin
Hopefully this isn't over pedantic, but twisting your upper body to start a spin wouldn't work if it wasn't for the force between your feet and the ground. If you try doing exactly the same motion in a swivel chair, you'll find your lower body does an "equal and opposite" twist and there's no net spin at all. Without something to "push" against, angular momentum is conserved.Ok, I accept this of course, my point was in the context of a spin being initiated by either force applied to your partner's hand or using your own feet to initiate the spin.
Most people (and certainly good spinners) will be able to start a double + spin from a standing start without help from a partner or visibly using their feet as a mean of propulsion.

Getting back to men v.s. women - even the very good male spinners (Viktor, Joseph, Humphrey) tend to use quite different technique from the women. Women usually spin with both feet close together and close to the floor, and it can be hard to tell which foot they're using at any moment. The men tend to have the feet further apart, and if they spin one footed, often have the other foot way off the ground. My gut feeling is that spinning like this is easier to control but (relatively) slow. Because men tend to use more force when spinning, it's a good trade-off for them. While I agree that most men have poor technique while spinning (due to lack of practise), men who spin regularly and who teach spinning as part of workshops (Viktor is a great example) have far more control over their spinning than that, and will typically spin with both feet close, choosing which foot to spin on (for effect rather than balance - ie crossing over etc...). Having one foot "way off the ground" always a bad idea really.

Apart from men not getting the practice, I think there are other things that make it harder for men. Therein lies the essence of the problem, most men do not get the chance to practise spinning. They must remain in control to be able to lead their partner into the next move, and a man spinning out of control really does not look good :sad:

However, as I love spinning, I am all in favour of men practising more and more often. Ladies should get used to having to wait for the man finishing a treble spin, and indeed start thinking of stylish things to do while waiting :wink: :waycool:
So here we go ladies, the gauntlet is down, who will pick it up and suggest a few things to do while you're watching your partner spin endlessly?

Franck.

Janet
15th-May-2002, 06:02 PM
So here we go ladies, the gauntlet is down, who will pick it up and suggest a few things to do while you're watching your partner spin endlessly?

Whatever you do it should definitely be done with Attitude.:waycool:

The old watch watching is definitely a good fall back, or how about a little toe-tapping-hands-on-hips.
Keep a lady waiting at your peril, guys! :reallymad

Often the man will change feet while he is doing his sextuple spin (or whatever he claims it was :wink: ) and in doing so end up 10 feet away from you. When this happens, I like to use the music to make a pointed return to my partner - always assuming I can't persuade him to come to me. :yum:

Whatever you do, don't chase after your man! :D

Janet

p.s. I think 'endlessly' is a BIT of an exaggeration, even for you Franck!
All ideas gratefully received.

Jayne
16th-May-2002, 11:50 AM
suggest a few things to do while you're watching your partner spin endlessly?

Franck.

This is a very amusing thread and I've annoyed most people in the office by laughing constantly at the descriptions of the physical laws that define a spin. Maybe if someone came up with an equation we could call it the ceroc law and have it taught in schools all over the country....:wink:

As for things to do whilst you partner is showing his tail feathers I too have done the old clock watching, hand on hips, looking bored act. I've also been known to wait until he's finished, make eye contact, then turn round and start heading for the bar... (of course I get back to him eventually..)

Someone commented earlier on the joy of your first double spin. I lost my "double spin virginity" last night and can relate to this comment! :grin:

Happy spinning!
Jayne

Stuart M
16th-May-2002, 01:28 PM

Whatever you do it should definitely be done with Attitude.:waycool:
The old watch watching is definitely a good fall back, or how about a little toe-tapping-hands-on-hips.
Keep a lady waiting at your peril, guys! :reallymad

Since Jayne beat me to the "go get a drink" idea I had to think up a new one...what about making a call on your mobile? :grin:

As to keeping a lady waiting, well it can be fun sometimes...

Franck
16th-May-2002, 01:54 PM
Whatever you do, don't chase after your man! :D
All ideas gratefully received. Hey! Why not? After all we spend most of the time chasing after your (as in all women, not you specifically) turns / returns... :wink:

Another idea, which I think would be interesting is to have a friend standing by close and while the man is spinning get her to take your place, I would be very interested in the man's reaction (assuming he noticed in the first place :really: )

p.s. I think 'endlessly' is a BIT of an exaggeration, even for you Franck! Well ok, endlessly is a bit over the top :nice: though last night I managed a couple of quadruple (quintuple?) spins, but I was too busy to notice what my partners were doing at the time! :what:

Franck.

Janet
16th-May-2002, 06:24 PM
Hey! Why not? After all we spend most of the time chasing after your (as in all women, not you specifically) turns / returns... :wink:
I am so glad that you added that small clarification Franck. For a minute there I was about to take that personally. :reallymad

The difference, though, is that the men choose when to turn and return their lady. So, if you are getting bored waiting you only have yourself (sorry, that should be 'yourselves' - general) to blame.

Another idea, which I think would be interesting is to have a friend standing by close and while the man is spinning get her to take your place, I would be very interested in the man's reaction (assuming he noticed in the first place :really: )

But Franck, Wendy and I did that to you a couple of weeks ago! :yum:
I take it that means you really didn't notice??! :sick:

Janet

Franck
17th-May-2002, 12:04 PM
The difference, though, is that the men choose when to turn and return their lady. So, if you are getting bored waiting you only have yourself (sorry, that should be 'yourselves' - general) to blame. That 's not what I meant. I was referring to the discussion going on in the thread above (or below) on travelling moves, and the fact that a lot of women travel considerably during the turns / returns... Not to mention that more and more women now do multiple spins, giving us something to wait for (though in that respect, us men are well practised waiting for women... ;)

But Franck, Wendy and I did that to you a couple of weeks ago! :yum:
I take it that means you really didn't notice??! :sick:

Janet Gosh, and all that time I though I was dancing with Stuart!!! :really:

Franck.

Stuart M
17th-May-2002, 12:22 PM
Gosh, and all that time I though I was dancing with Stuart!!! :really:
[/B]
Wasn't it me dancing with Wendy and Janet although they were doing the guy's part...? Confused doesn't even begin to describe this :confused:

I think, Franck, you should apologise for the remark above...they're both better dancers and better lookers than me :wink:

Janet
17th-May-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Stuart
I think, Franck, you should apologise for the remark above...
Stuart, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Janet

Franck
17th-May-2002, 01:18 PM
I think, Franck, you should apologise for the remark above...they're both better dancers and better lookers than me :wink: That would imply I was paying attention, and looking at my partner at the time... Most likely, I was too busy spinning, and generally showing off :waycool: :wink:

Ok, then I apologize, anyway I should have known it was not you Stuart, you do not lead as strongly as Wendy or Janet! :wink:

/Franck runs away quickly before getting hit/

Franck.

Janet
17th-May-2002, 01:59 PM
Ok, then I apologize
Apology graciously accepted.... but I suppose I did ask for that! :yum:

...anyway I should have known it was not you Stuart, you do not lead as strongly as Wendy or Janet! :wink:

Not true, Franck! You should try leading Stuart as a lady... :what:

Janet

/Franck runs away quickly before getting hit/
Ooooooops, too slow :tears: :tears: :tears:

Franck
21st-May-2002, 02:05 PM
Franck! You should try leading Stuart as a lady... :what:

Well I did offer yesterday, but I was turned down :tears:

Maybe an other time... :wink:

On the subject of spinning, after a really good week-end in Aberdeen where I felt able to spin easily, yesterday I could not double spin to save my life... I kept losing my balance :sad:
I wonder what influences my ability to spin... Same shoes etc...

Franck.

filthycute
21st-May-2002, 04:46 PM
I just thought i'd let everyone know my useless information :D
Just humour me for a second......

Most guys who have danced with me will know i can't....(but am frantically trying to learn!) to spin on my right foot.
Well whadda ya know......on Sunday, with help from John in Dundee (cheers:cheers: ) i did a double spin on my RIGHT foot!!
Did it a few times actually and was well chuffed :D :D :D

Wow doesn't it feel great when it all comes together? :wink:

Now i just gotta learn the one where the man spins you from behind by the waist :sick:

filthycute x x

Franck
22nd-May-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
Well whadda ya know......on Sunday, with help from John in Dundee (cheers:cheers: ) i did a double spin on my RIGHT foot!!
Did it a few times actually and was well chuffed :D :D :D

Wow doesn't it feel great when it all comes together? :wink: Well done fc, it is such a brilliant feeling... :cheers: :waycool:

For some reason, spinning is one of those things that can give you a huge sense of achievement... Now you'll have to start practising the cross spin (ie spin to the right on your left foot and and vice versa, starting by crossing the spinning foot in front).

Franck.

Janet
22nd-May-2002, 06:20 PM
On the subject of spinning, after a really good week-end in Aberdeen where I felt able to spin easily, yesterday I could not double spin to save my life... I kept losing my balance :sad:
You have no idea how good it is to hear that! :grin:
Maybe we should start a self-help group for spinning?!

Some nights I can double spin with (relative) ease. (OK, I admit that ...actually, no I don't... 2 spins.) Other times I can bearly get round once without falling over. I have no idea why. :what:

And no, before anyone else suggests it, it has nothing to do with alcohol!

I also find that my ability to spin varies drastically during the course of an evening. There is no point in even attempting more than one spin until after the intermediate class and it is the first thing to go when I get tired: cf that repeating yo-yo.

Janet

Stuart M
23rd-May-2002, 08:42 AM
Way-hey!

I managed a double spin last night - not a great one, but I kept my footing and stayed more or less in the same place:nice:

Unfortunately, I was dancing with Wendy at the time (bear with me Wendy, this is a complement!), and she double-spinned the same move - obviously much better than me - so no-one noticed!

I did have to give myself a wee push with my feet between spins though.

Continuing the role reversal thing last night I found out what a catapult looks like from the lady's perspective. It's really weird - like reversing a car into a tunnel, then getting out on the passenger side is the only way I can describe it :what::confused:

Franck
23rd-May-2002, 11:40 AM
Way-hey!

I managed a double spin last night -Congrats Stuart, you'll have to try double-spinning with a kilt on for the ultimate rush :wink:

"...so no-one noticed!"
he he, I am sure you did it for yourself, and not to show off ! :nice:

"I did have to give myself a wee push with my feet between spins though."
Yes, a useful trick that one, I find I do that for the 4th/ 5th spin...

"Continuing the role reversal thing last night I found out what a catapult looks like from the lady's perspective. It's really weird - like reversing a car into a tunnel, then getting out on the passenger side is the only way I can describe it :what::confused: "
This sounds really weird now !? What kind of drugs were you on yesterday? :really:
I think the Catapult is a great move (from a woman's perspective).

Keep up the spinning...

Franck.

Stuart M
24th-May-2002, 02:05 PM
Congrats Stuart, you'll have to try double-spinning with a kilt on for the ultimate rush :wink:

I hope this has nothing to do with forfeits, Franck...

"...so no-one noticed!"
he he, I am sure you did it for yourself, and not to show off ! :nice:

No, I probably did it to show off :sorry:. Or because I'd forgotten all those "things to do when waiting for your partner to finish a spin" tricks. On that, here's another one - do the old hand-clapping flamenco dancer routine!

Ole!

Jayne
30th-May-2002, 09:43 AM
Just to update you all my spinning progress...

I did my first triple spin last night! Hurrah!:grin: Thanks for the momentum Franck!

And double spins have been making appearances in freestyle recently too! :waycool:

I'm surprising myself at the amount of satisfaction I can get out of something so small...:innocent:

Keep spinning!

Jayne :nice:

Franck
30th-May-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
I did my first triple spin last night! Hurrah!:grin: Thanks for the momentum Franck!

I'm surprising myself at the amount of satisfaction I can get out of something so small...:innocent:Hey, I resent that comment, size does not matter, it's what you do with it ! :wink:

Franck.

Jayne
30th-May-2002, 09:53 AM
And you accuse me of lowering the tone on the forum!!!

J

Franck
30th-May-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
And you accuse me of lowering the tone on the forum!!!Well if the cap fits :wink: Though I admit it takes two to Ceroc! :nice:

Anyway back to spinning (there goes another thread well off-topic). The treble spin was very impressive indeed, and I hardly had enough time to get bored and try out some of the earlier suggestions!

It was nice to see Mairi teaching the Almost Pretzel (just for you not doubt! :wink: )

Franck.