PDA

View Full Version : Explosions and Bombs in London

Trousers
7th-July-2005, 10:46 AM
OOH FCUK

I hope this isn't the start of something very sinister.
Tubes and buses being blown up.

This world is turning to *****

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4659093.stm)

David Franklin
7th-July-2005, 10:46 AM
See, for example www.ananova.com.

Words fail me. Is everyone OK?

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 10:47 AM
There have been (according to the BBC) three bus explosions and a huge power surge on the underground which has wiped out the whole network.

Mobile phones are down so if you work in London or are at home and can get access to the internet please let us know you're OK...

S. x

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 10:50 AM
I have heard that Sheepman and Sal are both OK, and I'm fine too.

It's just horriffic - the radio's on and eye witnesses are phoning in...

LMC
7th-July-2005, 10:52 AM
Eerie, I was just going to post a "roll call" thread on the same lines.

I must have missed the Kings X incident by minutes and we can see the smoke in Russell Square from here.

Very sobering.

Hope everyone else is OK....

cerocmetro
See, for example www.ananova.com.

Words fail me. Is everyone OK?

What the hell is going on :angry:
We were told power surges, what caused them?

why are people so fcking evil

Please don't let there be any deaths or serious injuries. My thoughts and prayers go to everyone involved and I pray there will be no more.

David Franklin
There have been (according to the BBC) three bus explosions and a huge power surge on the underground which has wiped out the whole network.Report just in of explosion at Tavistock Square - very very close to the Jive Bar... :sad:

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 10:56 AM
They're looking at the bombs and undergound stations and there seems to be a triangulation - suggesting something more sinister.
They're investigating Aldgate East, Russell Square, King's Cross, Liverpool Street and some others but they're speaking too fast for me to type.
Bus explosion at tavistock place confirmed.
Fatalities confirmed.
All hospitals on 'major incident alert'.
S. x

Msfab
7th-July-2005, 10:58 AM
What the hell is going on :angry:
We were told power surges, what caused them?

why are people so fcking evil

Please don't let there be any deaths or serious injuries. My thoughts and prayers go to everyone involved and I pray there will be no more.

Please Lets not starting blaming people before we know exactly whats gone on!

Hope everyone is Ok.

cerocmetro
7th-July-2005, 11:01 AM
Please Lets not starting blaming people before we know exactly whats gone on!

Hope everyone is Ok.

Of course I'm blaming people, bombs don't put themselves on buses. I just don't know who to blame, yet.

David Franklin
7th-July-2005, 11:01 AM
They're looking at the bombs and undergound stations and there seems to be a triangulation - suggesting something more sinister.If they're planting bombs, how much more sinister do you need? Though one has to suspect there was a certain plan of "Knock out the tube, then when everyone is evacuated onto the streets and buses, blow up some buses".

Still not entirely clear what happened with the tube - some eyewitness reports strongly suggest an electrical issue rather than a bomb. But that may well have been "knock-on" damage from an initial explosion.

Reports of 90+ casualities @ Aldgate East alone; seems likely there will be several hundred total.

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 11:02 AM
Bus explosions confirmed at Tavistock Square and Liverpool Street.

JoC
7th-July-2005, 11:07 AM
Following this on the Beeb and CNN websites, guys hope you're all okay down there, keep safe.

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 11:08 AM
Eerie, I was just going to post a "roll call" thread on the same lines.

I must have missed the Kings X incident by minutes and we can see the smoke in Russell Square from here.

Very sobering.

Hope everyone else is OK....

Eerier- I was going to post the exact same thread and call it 'Roll Call'.

I'm here. Had to walk to work from Kings Cross (I work in St James's Park), and I think I heard an explosion at Euston (something banged very loudly and it didn't sound like a car crash), but I'm OK. Just for a change, it looks like it was a very good thing that the Thameslink had collapsed due to the bit of rain again- I was considerably later into Kings Cross than I would otherwise have been.

Next important question- have you all phoned your Mums and Dads?

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 11:13 AM
Now being described as a series of co-ordinated explosions by the police.

Lory
7th-July-2005, 11:18 AM
'JUST' heard from Mr Lory, he's Ok :clap: (bloody mobile's :angry: ) he just hasn't a clue how he's going to get home! :confused: He works close to Russell Square! :sad:

I was in the Edgware Road last night! :sick:

I agree with CerocMetro, these people are pure evil, who ever they are! :angry:

David Franklin
7th-July-2005, 11:23 AM
'JUST' heard from Mr Lory, he's Ok :clap: (bloody mobile's :angry: ) he just hasn't a clue how he's going to get home! :confused: He works close to Russell Square! :sad: Glad he's OK.

For anyone else worrying - I've heard the mobile network is overwhelmed and rumours they've switched it off for all but emergency calls and services. So don't assume bad news just because someone isn't answering their mobile.

cerocmetro
7th-July-2005, 11:24 AM
'JUST' heard from Mr Lory, he's Ok :clap: (bloody mobile's :angry: ) he just hasn't a clue how he's going to get home! :confused: He works close to Russell Square! :sad:

I was in the Edgware Road last night! :sick:

I agree with CerocMetro, these people are pure evil, who ever they are! :angry:

Police have turned mobile network off in Town. Stops terrorists speaking to eachother and also as in Madrid they are used to set off bombs

DavidB
7th-July-2005, 11:25 AM
DavidB and LilyB are both ok

Trousers
7th-July-2005, 11:25 AM
Re the Mobile phones I heard once that the first responce in a disaster that initiates the governments responces - those set up for terror attacks and the old cold war attacks is to turn off the Mobile system. not 100% clear on the thinking behind that.
But i may have somat to do with limiting further terrorist activity (if indeed this is what is happening).
Just wish I could remember the source of that now.

Gary
7th-July-2005, 11:29 AM
Very sorry and angry to hear about this :mad:

I hope all the forumites (and their friends and family) are OK.

Simon r
7th-July-2005, 11:29 AM
both nicole and myself are ok

cerocmetro
7th-July-2005, 11:30 AM
Just heard from a mate who is a train driver. He said 2 bombs on trains, 2 at Stations and 2 on buses.

He confirmed mobiles would be turned off in event terrorist. Used to trigger the bombs as well as stops the bastards talking to eachother.

Lory
7th-July-2005, 11:33 AM
What a contrast, the pictures we saw of London yesterday and the one's we're seeing today! :tears:

ElaineB
7th-July-2005, 11:34 AM
Thinking of you all over there and hope everyone is OK..........please!!!!

Elaine :hug:

Rhythm King
7th-July-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm ok, - just hope everyone else is. We have been confined to our building until further notice by the police.

R-K

Sheepman
7th-July-2005, 11:45 AM
The current speculation is that the power surge on the underground was caused by explosions. At least 2 fatalities at Aldgate station, still no reports of casualties on the 2 buses, it looks like overall numbers of injuries will run into the 100s.

I heard one report of Swindon and Brighton railway stations being closed, but no more has been said so far.

Admittedly it's all very vague still, but the thing that is striking me is how much co-ordination and organisation must have been involved to create such chaos...

Greg

Lee
7th-July-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm ok (in London Victoria), apart from all buses, tubes & main lines have been closed.

It's been confirmed as a coordinated attack. :sad: 20 confirmed dead :(

Not sure how we're all gonna get out of London tonight. :eek:

If you''re in London, they are saying stay where you are, don't travel.

Lee :hug:

Pammy
7th-July-2005, 11:49 AM
My cousin works at Canary Wharf and they are now evacuating there, not sure if "just in case" or if they have heard something is up...

LMC
7th-July-2005, 11:55 AM
Stewart38 has checked in

It's all so sad after the positive atmosphere yesterday :sad:

Conspiracy theories coming out already :mad: - it's all tragic and scary enough without panic-mongering.

cicamica
7th-July-2005, 11:55 AM
My husband works at Aldgate! Normally he would get to the station exactly around the time of explosion!! Today he got up earlier than usual and so got to work well before 8:30!!! Thank god! There must be a guardian angel out there!! Now he only has to worry about coming back home tonight!

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 11:56 AM
If you''re in London, they are saying stay where you are, don't travel.

Lee :hug:

I wish I'd heard that before I came in from Zone 4.

This is all very scary- hope everyone's OK.

Lucy Locket
7th-July-2005, 11:56 AM
Hope everyone is ok. Good to hear from you guys that you're fine.
Client flown in to Heathrow from USA says no trains running from there.

Take care all of you. I know I speak for everyone that our thoughts and prayers are with you all and with everyone down there.

RoyBoy
7th-July-2005, 11:57 AM
Glad he's OK.

For anyone else worrying - I've heard the mobile network is overwhelmed and rumours they've switched it off for all but emergency calls and services. So don't assume bad news just because someone isn't answering their mobile.

I work for a national telecom carrier and can confirm the network is being totally overwhelmed.

If anybody is trying to make a call - or waiting for a call - please try to be patient (easier said than done).

Will
7th-July-2005, 11:57 AM
Kate and I are both OK.

Lou
7th-July-2005, 11:58 AM
I heard one report of Swindon and Brighton railway stations being closed, but no more has been said so far.
Yup. Swindon station's been evacuated. All the potential passengers are hanging around in the street outside. Some GWR employees seem to be organising then into taxis & buses, which implies to me that the station's going to be closed for some time.

A positive side to it is that we haven't yet been evacuated from our building (just 2 mins from the station).

DianaS
7th-July-2005, 11:59 AM
My cousin works at Canary Wharf and they are now evacuating there, not sure if "just in case" or if they have heard something is up...

Hi Pammy,
I don't know whether this helps but anywhere that is regarded as a particular target will be on higher alert. We've just been instructed to do a head count and account for staffs whereabouts in London. It's just proceedure.. :flower:

(just hope nobody's not where they are supposed to be :blush: )

ITs not good news though...can we do anything for those affected? :sad:

Pammy
7th-July-2005, 12:03 PM
It's all very well evacuating, but once evacuated, where are these people going to go?

LMC
7th-July-2005, 12:03 PM
Looks like I'm stranded and won't be able to get back to Stevenage tonight :sad:

Should be able to get a floor from someone in the office, but I just wanna go home :tears:

Guess we've all just got to wait and see, thank whatever we believe in that we are all in one piece and be patient and give priority to the poor people who have been hurt or have lost loved ones.

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 12:06 PM
Foxylady is fine, so are Divissima, Toby and Dan.

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 12:06 PM
And Groovy Dancer Too.

Yliander
7th-July-2005, 12:07 PM
just heard that my sister, her partner and another friend in London are all safe.

Sisters Partner - was complaining about it taking so long to get to work - until he found out why - his train passed through one of the stations just minutes before an explosion apparently.

my thoughts are with you all :hug:

Lounge Lizard
7th-July-2005, 12:08 PM
Tony Blair just been on TV, he's leaving G8 to visit London (returning tonight) and he belives it is a terrorist attack

Al-Qaeda europe website, just claimed responsibility (on news 24)
Peter

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear that you guys are OK. I have been in a building (under the desk, still on the phone) with controlled explosions going on outside and its un-nerving. And I know it will be a real headache for everyone trying to get home tonight, so my thoughts are with you. I hope you are all able to get in touch with loved ones soon to reassure yourself that they are OK.

Lee
7th-July-2005, 12:09 PM
Sir Iain Blair, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service has just given a public safety briefing issuing the following guidelines:

People should remain where they are (until any further updates are given) and remain calm.

All public transport in greater London has been suspended until further notice.

Further updates will be given throughout the day.

Please do not call the emergency services unless it is an emergency.

cerocmetro
7th-July-2005, 12:10 PM
Tony Blair just been on TV, he's leaving G8 to visit London (returning tonight) and he belives it is a terrorist attack
Peter

Gee you think?

Northants Girly
7th-July-2005, 12:12 PM
I've just had half a text from a friend saying his work have told him to stay indoors with the room blinds down and that bombs are "going off under his nose" . . . .

Gus
7th-July-2005, 12:13 PM
Its very odd in Canary Wharf at the moment. The offices are usually a lively place ... today there is no laughter, no smiles ... a sombre place. We're in a very real crisis situation, we've been informed that the entire Wharf is locked down, no one comes in, no one leaves ... not that there is any transportation to take you anywhere. At the same time I think everyone is very glad for the tight security here because we know that after the City, Canary Wharf is the next big target. We've all got the problem of how to get home, but at least we are safe. After the first few hours of closely monitoring the (fragmented) news most people are now just getting on with work as usual.

So ... what happens tomorrow. Transport permitting, people have a choice. they can play safe and avoid an 'increased risk' ... or we can carry on life as normal and not let the terrorists win. Not a easy choice. there is suppose to be a group of us meeting tomorrow night for a meal out. Despite the awfulness of what has happened today, I hope we all make it. Sometimes there are things more important than taking the safe route. At the end of the day, the chances of being involved in a terrorist attack, even in London, are still extremely small. Maybe now is the time to stand up and be counted?

Dreadful Scathe
7th-July-2005, 12:18 PM
hope thats the end of it and everyone is ok.

Im in Edinburgh this week but my office in London has issued an email telling everyone to stay inside just now and worry about travel home later - the travel issue is going to be a problem later today!

Bardsey
7th-July-2005, 12:21 PM
Shocked and stunned!!!

Glad to hear of those of you reporting that you are okay. I'll be thinking of you all and hope all your families and friends are okay. I'll keep an eye on the thread so I can keep up to date on your reports.

Jill x

Dizzy
7th-July-2005, 12:23 PM
I am ok. Luckily I have changed offices recently so work in Wembley instead in the centre of London.

I hear that there is a least 20 people dead and hope that there is not many more.

David Franklin
7th-July-2005, 12:23 PM
Adding to the roll-call, Bryony is fine as well (I think her hospital is on major incident alert though...)

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 12:26 PM
So ... what happens tomorrow. Transport permitting, people have a choice. they can play safe and avoid an 'increased risk' ... or we can carry on life as normal and not let the terrorists win. Not a easy choice. there is suppose to be a group of us meeting tomorrow night for a meal out. Despite the awfulness of what has happened today, I hope we all make it. Sometimes there are things more important than taking the safe route. At the end of the day, the chances of being involved in a terrorist attack, even in London, are still extremely small. Maybe now is the time to stand up and be counted? We had problems about this time of year a few years ago due to Drumcree. Not concern about bombs (though there has been that in the past), but cars (and buses) were being hijacked and burned, roads barricaded. So people just didn't go out at night unless they could walk to where they were going. Very frustrating at how easy it is to disrupt everyday life.

But this in London is on a different scale and hitting transport networks alone is sufficient to cause widespread disruption.

DavidB
7th-July-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm in Canary Wharf, and most people still seem to be at work. There are loads of police and security around, and all the buildings are doing ID checks at the entrances.

There was a rumour that to police stopped a suspected bomber getting to canary wharf, but not heard anything else about that yet.

Lory
7th-July-2005, 12:33 PM
A friends husband is a policeman right in the thick of it and he's just spoken to her (from a land line) saying, he's been given an hours break, after having to witness some horrific scenes, apparently he's described it as 'limbs everywhere' :sick:

Lou
7th-July-2005, 12:52 PM
Ahh... Swindon station's just reopened by the looks of it. :) They'd apparently found a suspect package there, but luckily it looks like a false alarm.

Sheepman
7th-July-2005, 12:57 PM
I hear that there is a least 20 people dead I do hope that is a seriously pessimistic report.
So far there are 2 confirmed dead, from Aldgate East. Regarding the bus explosions, it is actually just one explosion on a bus at Tavistock Sq. with one uncomfirmed dead. Everybody is now out of Edgware Rd tube Station, and injuries "may be in the tens rather than the hundreds."

In addition to the bus, there have been 6 reported explosions, at these stations:-
Edgware Rd
King's Cross
Liverpool St
Russell Sq
Aldgate East
Moorgate

The BBC News 24 is now pretty much on "repeat" mode, ie they are just repeating news and interviews that have previously been transmitted, presumably because nothing much new is now coming in, and it will be some time before facts can be established.

To repeat what the police are saying, - "Stay where you are" ie don't try to make any journeys in central London, because there is no transport. Buses in zone 1 are currently all suspended, and the entire tube network is closed. Also, only use the emergency services in "life threatening situations."

Greg

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 01:05 PM
In addition to the bus, there have been 6 reported explosions, at these stations:-
Edgware Rd
King's Cross
Liverpool St
Russell Sq
Aldgate East
Moorgate Bombs can be very disruptive, they have been used here, but usually with warnings so that people can be evacuated away from the area (though not always correct information as was the case in Omagh and not always enough time to evacuate safely).

Good to hear that things aren't maybe as bad as feared in terms of casualties but still very sad for those who have been killed or injured.

Lee
7th-July-2005, 01:08 PM
Map of blasts in London attached:

Chef
7th-July-2005, 01:18 PM
If anyone is going to be stranded and can't make it home home I can try and get my car to the edge of London, pick you up and offer your food and shelter in Maidstone (kent) until this thing is over. I should imagine that the airports will be sealed down tight as well.

If you think I can help then PM me. Whatever it takes for as long as it takes.

Tessalicious
7th-July-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi all, glad to hear everyone is ok. Shocking events but at the same time unsurprising, except maybe that (if this was Al-Qaeda as has been claimed) that they waited this long after September 11th? :hug: to all the other Londoners, both on here and out there, and lets hope that there aren't any more nasty surprises yet to come.

Simon r
7th-July-2005, 01:36 PM
If anyone is going to be stranded and can't make it home home I can try and get my car to the edge of London, pick you up and offer your food and shelter in Maidstone (kent) until this thing is over. I should imagine that the airports will be sealed down tight as well.

If you think I can help then PM me. Whatever it takes for as long as it takes.
same goes for the other side i am at langly and would be happy to help if i can pm if needed we also have a couple of rooms as put ups....

latinlover
7th-July-2005, 01:42 PM
I work in Covent garden. quite close to russel square although I was already at work when it all happened . everything is very quiet here (10 people in the queue at M&S for lunch),I'm just wondering how I'll get home.
glad to hear of all the forumites that are ok
thoughts go out , not only to those injured and their loved ones, but also to the members of the emergency services who deal with all the S***
respect

Dan Hudson
7th-July-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm safe and ok.. .was just 400 yards from Woburn place bus bomb...counting myself very lucky.... :flower:

Am home now..... had my car in Central London

Hope everyone and their loved ones are safe..... :flower:

Dan

Minnie M
7th-July-2005, 02:00 PM
DavidB and LilyB are both ok

Thanks David, was going to ring you - and thanks to all London friends letting us know you are OK - I am so upset by this - WHY attack us :tears: these people really are evil

Brighton Station is closed and there was an explosion there this morning, but I think it was a controlled one, not a planted one.

Thank goodness my son wasn't in London today

ALL YOU LONDONERS PLEASE CHECK IN PLEASE

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 02:08 PM
PeteK just PMd- he's fine.

Sal
7th-July-2005, 02:11 PM
Was walking away from Russell square, after getting off my bus, when i heard one of the bombs go off this morning. I did not realise how close I had been until I got to work.
The centre of town is eerily quite, normally we can hear traffic noise from our building, it is only sirens we can hear today. We have been told to stay in the building, and are not sure what is happening. There seems to be a lull in deveopments recently.
I hope everyone is ok.

Gojive
7th-July-2005, 02:14 PM
News from Network Rail, is that all mainline stations, with the exception of Kings Cross and Liverpool Street, are OPEN, and will remain so unless security alerts dictate otherwise :)

Little Monkey
7th-July-2005, 02:35 PM
Oh my god!!!! I hope everyone's ok! Glad so many people have let us know you're fine! :hug: :kiss: Anyone heard from Feelingpink??

I'm so happy I changed my mind and didn't go to London this week as planned!!!!!! :eek:

LM

Feelingpink
7th-July-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh my god!!!! I hope everyone's ok! Glad so many people have let us know you're fine! :hug: :kiss: Anyone heard from Feelingpink??

I'm so happy I changed my mind and didn't go to London this week as planned!!!!!! :eek:

LMYes, I'm fine (my mum in Oz rang, watching events on TV there). Just reading this thread.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-July-2005, 02:40 PM
Just got news from a friend - he was travelling into Kings Cross on the tube this morning. The train pulled into the deserted station with the tanoy repeating 'Evacuate the Station'. The doors stayed shut. The driver then came on to say he realised they could hear the tanoy but he was told to not move and not open the doors. They stayed like that for 20 mins. Ouch. Scary stuff when you have no clue whats happening.

When the passengers were let out to be greeted by chaos outside, he then heard the huge explosion from the bus at Russell Square.

Little Monkey
7th-July-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes, I'm fine (my mum in Oz rang, watching events on TV there). Just reading this thread.

Glad to hear you're fine! :hug:

Lee
7th-July-2005, 02:46 PM
SKY NEWS: At least 45 people are reported to have been killed and 1,000 injured in a series of terror attacks on London. :eek:

Sheepman
7th-July-2005, 02:49 PM
News from Network Rail, is that all mainline stations, with the exception of Kings Cross and Liverpool Street, are OPEN, and will remain so unless security alerts dictate otherwise :) That's similar to what I heard not so many minutes ago, but I've just heard that Waterloo is closed and will remain so for the rest of the day, I believe trains are only going as far as Clapham Junction. I'll keep checking travel details later on.**

And my earlier report of 7 explosions seems now to be wrong, it is now reported as 3 explosions on the tubes, plus one on the bus.
But sadly I've just heard a report that the death toll may currently be 45.

One witness was not allowed on a bus as it was too full, she got on one just behind, only to see a few minutes later the bus she would have been on explode. Unbelievably another witness who was on the top deck of the bus that exploded, walked away from it with only minor injuries.

I'm sure that amidst the disaster, there will be many stories of courage and kindness to emerge, hopefully the better side of human nature...

Greg

** And just 10 minutes later I hear that nearly all mainline and surburban services should be running later. Still plenty of confusion...

Gojive
7th-July-2005, 03:01 PM
That's similar to what I heard not so many minutes ago, but I've just heard that Waterloo is closed and will remain so for the rest of the day, I believe trains are only going as far as Clapham Junction. I'll keep checking travel details later on.

Greg

Greg, I've just grabbed this from the South West Trains site...

"At the present moment our services are running and Waterloo station remains open. In addition, contrary to some reports, Clapham Junction station is open.
At this moment in time we would however advise passengers not to travel into London.

This page will be updated if the situation changes.

Information correct as at: 14.56"

http://www.swtrains.co.uk/aboutus/newsreports.asp?ArticleID=350

:)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
7th-July-2005, 03:04 PM
Really glad to hear that everyone is ok :hug: This is all because of this stupid G8 summit, they shouldn't have publicised it so much, and waited till it was over. I think the whole world knew about it, and the fact that loads of police from London were taken up to it.

Again, really glad you are all ok.

Ashx

cheeks
7th-July-2005, 03:05 PM
Glad everyone is okay!

My friends and I are in office in Dundee and everyone says there thoughts are with everyone!

Huge Hugs

Cheeks and friends. :hug: :kiss:

DianaS
7th-July-2005, 03:21 PM
Gosh such to-ings and fro-ings!
I just thought I'd let you all know that I'm working from home for a few days!!
There's been a few people concerned, as there have been a few unconfirmed rumours, so I just thought I'd let every one know that I'm not there in any case :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
7th-July-2005, 03:31 PM
According to the BBC website, it's now "only" three bombs on tubes, and one bus.

ChrisA
7th-July-2005, 03:42 PM
Jayne and I are fine.

Gus
7th-July-2005, 03:44 PM
For those that believe may a few prayers for the injured and bereaved might not go amiss. For those that don’t, maybe still a time for quite contemplation. Whatever happens, the worst thing that can now happen is for blind rage, the need for vengeance and uninformed speculation can lead to greater wrongs.

Maybe the truth of the matter is that this is the new world. You can't make an open transport system in any major city totally secure. Maybe London (along with other major European cities) will now have to endure a future of attacks as previously experienced in Belfast, N Spain and Israel :(

Pammy
7th-July-2005, 03:45 PM
Just got news from a friend - he was travelling into Kings Cross on the tube this morning. The train pulled into the deserted station with the tanoy repeating 'Evacuate the Station'. The doors stayed shut. The driver then came on to say he realised they could hear the tanoy but he was told to not move and not open the doors. They stayed like that for 20 mins. Ouch. Scary stuff when you have no clue whats happening.

When the passengers were let out to be greeted by chaos outside, he then heard the huge explosion from the bus at Russell Square.

This reminds me of an incident that happend when I was on London Underground some years back. We pulled into the station and heard "There has been a bomb scare, please evacuate the station", but the doors on the train would not open. The train driver came over the tannoy and said to remain calm and that we were being taken to the next station once he got the go-ahead. We were stuck on that train for about fifteen minutes waiting in those conditions and it was horrible. Luckily on that occasion it was a false alarm.

Gojive
7th-July-2005, 03:55 PM
For those that believe may a few prayers for the injured and bereaved might not go amiss. For those that don’t, maybe still a time for quite contemplation. Whatever happens, the worst thing that can now happen is for blind rage, the need for vengeance and uninformed speculation can lead to greater wrongs.

Maybe the truth of the matter is that this is the new world. You can't make an open transport system in any major city totally secure. Maybe London (along with other major European cities) will now have to endure a future of attacks as previously experienced in Belfast, N Spain and Israel :(

:yeah:

KatieR
7th-July-2005, 04:02 PM
Im okay as well, although am very freaked out about everything. All my family and friends from Australia were trying to get through but couldn't because the phones were down. Mum and Dad were beside themselves. It really upset me. Ive never heard my dad like that before. I almost thought he was going to put me on a plane home then and there. Made me cry.

I was at the Jive Bar last night so it is a bit freaky knowing that I was where all this happened this morning. How do you others feel that were there last night..? R-K, Sparkles, Foxy?

Im still planning to go to Fulham tonight to some how make a small but I feel important stand.

Hugs to all :flower: :flower: :flower:

cerocmetro
7th-July-2005, 04:09 PM
Im okay as well, although am very freaked out about everything. All my family and friends from Australia were trying to get through but couldn't because the phones were down. Mum and Dad were beside themselves. It really upset me. Ive never heard my dad like that before. I almost thought he was going to put me on a plane home then and there. Made me cry.

I was at the Jive Bar last night so it is a bit freaky knowing that I was where all this happened this morning. How do you others feel that were there last night..? R-K, Sparkles, Foxy?

Im still planning to go to Fulham tonight to some how make a small but I feel important stand.

Hugs to all :flower: :flower: :flower:

Glad to hear you are OK. It took me two hours to get through to Mandy in NZ. She was at Ceroc when she heard and the class almost stopped to hear the news. Everyone ran to a phone to get in touch with loved ones over here.

Is Fulham still on tonight?

Gojive
7th-July-2005, 04:18 PM
Network Rail now say all but Kings Cross station are now open, and they're urging people to travel home now, while the stations are quiet.

Source: Sky News

Gus
7th-July-2005, 04:21 PM
Im still planning to go to Fulham tonight to some how make a small but I feel important stand. :yeah: Its not the size of the action that matters but the strength of the conviction behind it. Hope you are among friends there. :hug:

DavidB
7th-July-2005, 04:23 PM
Got this email from Dave Bradley:

Despite the problems in London today, we have received several calls in the office asking us not to bow to terrorists and to run Fulham Town Hall tonight.

We can also confirm that the Casbah with the 'Jive Aces' will also be running tomorrow night.

Gus
7th-July-2005, 04:25 PM

Despite the problems in London today, we have received several calls in the office asking us not to bow to terrorists and to run Fulham Town Hall tonight.

We can also confirm that the Casbah with the 'Jive Aces' will also be running tomorrow night.Go Ceroc!! Considering all I think its a brave decision and one that deserves to be supported. I really wish I could have made it but Fulham is a little too far to walk from the Wharf :o

Zebra Woman
7th-July-2005, 04:37 PM

We can also confirm that the Casbah with the 'Jive Aces' will also be running tomorrow night.

Good Call :clap:

They can't win if we don't let them :angry:

Simon r
7th-July-2005, 04:41 PM
ok about to set off home had no calls for help so far but i will check when i get home, safe traveling everyone ...

Sheepman
7th-July-2005, 04:51 PM
A recent travel report:-

No tubes will be running all day.
Al Zone 1 buses remain suspended.
The DLR is now running (I'm not clear if it is a reduced service)
All mainline stations are now open except King's cross, they are hoping to open suburban services from there later.

Taxi queues are solid everywhere.

There are road closures in the following areas:-
Liverpool st
Aldgate
Russell sq
Canary wharf

And at Wembley, the Blue concert is cancelled tonight, but will go ahead tomorrow and Saturday.

Greg

cicamica
7th-July-2005, 05:04 PM
Oh please the BLUE concert!! THat is just terrible!! What has the world come to? They should make a stand! I am gutted! NOT! :rofl:

Sheepman
7th-July-2005, 05:22 PM
I am gutted! NOT! :rofl: Well I was a bit surprised that it seemed to major in the news. But I suppose an extra 10,000 (anyone know the size of Wembley Arena?) people trying to travel there without tube trains would be an extra problem.

Latest news, buses are now running in Zone 1, but with major delays.

It looks like most people should be able to get home sometime tonight...

Greg

Barry Shnikov
7th-July-2005, 05:34 PM
24 hours will not pass before somebody starts utilising these events as further justification for unduly pervasive ID cards.

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 05:38 PM
Maybe the truth of the matter is that this is the new world. You can't make an open transport system in any major city totally secure. Maybe London (along with other major European cities) will now have to endure a future of attacks as previously experienced in Belfast, N Spain and Israel :( Bombs are extremely destructive, but at least when they did plant bombs here in NI they usually gave warnings.

We used to have pretty high security levels in Belfast. I remember going into M&S on Oxford St on a visit to London and holding my handbag open for the security man on the door who looked at me in amazement - but that was what we did here when we went into any shops, your bag was checked (stopped years ago).

The people who were stuck on the tube will have been terrified and those injured will be traumatised, even if their injuries aren't too bad. I'll be praying for the families of those killed.

It seems the emergency services have been great, you can be proud of them.

To all those still stuck in the centre of London, I hope your journey home isn't too long or tiring. :hug:

Andy McGregor
7th-July-2005, 05:41 PM
24 hours will not pass before somebody starts utilising these events as further justification for unduly pervasive ID cards.Let's debate ID cards here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5802)

Minnie M
7th-July-2005, 06:05 PM
Would it really make a difference :sad: unless these cards are particularly high tech it will be easy to manufacture should a terrorist or some like would want to - and for the rest of us it will cost us (in tax or out of our pockets)

Most of us have a card with our photo one - be it a 'club' card or driver's licence or even our passport (or a bus pass), that should be enough to identify us if we really need to

These guys are pros they will get where and into what they want as the need takes them

from the "ID" thread

ID cards won't stop a suicide bomber, they didn't help in Madrid, New York doesn't want them - and neither do I.

Alfie
7th-July-2005, 06:17 PM
A bad day for the capital. I hope everyone gets home tonight. Good work by all the emergency services.
Stay safe one and all.

ChrisH
7th-July-2005, 07:11 PM
I know that when terrible events happen like these it arouses our less positive emotions. I pray for those who have been hurt and for the families and friends of those who have been killed. I feel especially bad for those tourists or people from abroad for whom news of their involvment may take time to discover. However, there is also a good side. Millions of people are contacting others to communicate to them and say are you ok? Just like people have been doing on this forum! Family members are contacting each other and friends are contacting each other. I have spoken to nearly all my family today and to many of my friends. We are all saying that it is important for me to know that you are ok. I think there is also some goodness that will come of this.

Dance Demon
7th-July-2005, 07:11 PM
Have been watching all the news coverage of ths attrocity.....after yesterdays celebrations, it certainly brings you back down to earth with a thud!........Relieved to hear all our London Forumites are safe and well........but it just brings home how vulnerable we are to such attacks. Should imagine that anyone who depends on public transport will now worry about their safety every time they travel :sad: ....

Dance Demon
7th-July-2005, 07:17 PM
Princes Street in Edinburgh is closed while army bomb disposal men examine a suspicious parcel on a bus!!!.......everyone seems to be getting quite edgy now..... :really:

David Franklin
7th-July-2005, 07:24 PM
Princes Street in Edinburgh is closed while army bomb disposal men examine a suspicious parcel on a bus!!!.......everyone seems to be getting quite edgy now..... :really:Having lived in London all my life, and having had bombs go off within 200 yards of where I live, I can honestly say my strongest memory of the last big incident isn't hearing the bangs in the middle of night; it's the severe transport problems caused by security scares in the aftermath.

Crazy how it gets to you like that, but I can honestly remember on occasions stuck in a tunnel thinking - "S*d it! Let's all huddle below window height, let the driver go through the suspended station without stopping, and we'll all take our chances. Got to be better than putting up with this level of disruption all the time". Humans don't have particularly good mechanisms for assessing risk!

Ballroom queen
7th-July-2005, 08:41 PM

I'm sorry, but I find this rather sick. About 40 people are dead. My hospital has been on major incident alert all day. The police are asking people not to travel, the tubes are all closed. I say please leave the roads and buses for essential workers to get home - 4 buses and 2 hours it took me.

And you want to dance?????? :tears:

may be I am in delayed shock?

Dance Demon
7th-July-2005, 08:49 PM
The police are asking people not to travel, the tubes are all closed. I say please leave the roads and buses for essential workers to get home -

Sounds like a pretty sensible request to me....... :yeah:

Barry Shnikov
7th-July-2005, 08:52 PM
Humans don't have particularly good mechanisms for assessing risk!
:yeah:

...at least, not the ones we face in modern society. Richard Dawkins points out the the human brain evolved to deal with geometrical, arithmetical and probabilistic aspects of hunting small herds of large mammals moving slowly across the savannah.
No underground transport systems and violently obsessive types there, then....

Barry Shnikov
7th-July-2005, 09:01 PM
Maybe I'm too cynical but are the news reporters and anchorpersons smacking their lips? Wall to wall news, extended programs, news specials...

David Bailey
7th-July-2005, 09:16 PM
And you want to dance?????? :tears:
People deal with things in different ways.

It's perfectly valid to me, either to stay in, or indeed to go out, as a mark of respect - the important thing is the respect, not how you as a person manifest it.

I don't believe anyone in London is unaffected. But if we let them alter our love for and way of life, they win.

I say please leave the roads and buses for essential workers to get home - 4 buses and 2 hours it took me.
Awww... :hug: :hug: :flower: :kiss:
But I suspect the roads are not a major problem now, and a few ceroc-ers woudln't make a difference one way or t'other.

may be I am in delayed shock?
Hope not, but clearly staying in is right for you - hope you feel OK soon.
We're all likely to be in minor shock for a few days, at least. Stick in there. And, what the heck, have another :kiss: for luck...

DaveD
7th-July-2005, 10:49 PM
Like everyone else dismayed and horrified by today's events. Was due to be in the area myself but opted for teleconference instead, and the London end shut down while buildings were evacuated..

Glad to hear that the Forumites are OK - take care and keep dancing...

:hug:

Dave

Gadget
7th-July-2005, 11:04 PM
:hug: really releaved that everyone seems OK.. a few more I would like to hear from, but happy about those who have "reported in" :flower:

Am I the only one who noticed a strange coincedence (Irony? Fate's sick sense of humor?) that the bus bomb blew up outside the British Medical Practice building? I wonder if it was planned?

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 11:30 PM
53 now reported dead. Very sad. And yet it could have been much worse, and this incident might help London be better prepared and more alert and able to prevent a future 'worse' attack as a result of this experience. Small comfort though to those who have lost loved ones.

Whether people go out or not is up to them I think. People do deal with things differently and sometimes carrying on 'as normal' is the easiest and most helpful thing to do, esp in light of terrorist attacks when they are aiming to be disruptive. So for those who did go out dancing, I hope it defused the tension, stress and worry of the day. :hug:

angelique
7th-July-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi there to all
Still commute down to London a few times each week and was running late today due to the demands of being a mummy. Feeling very stressed when finally hit the motorway, possibly travelling FAR too fast in order to get there not as late as could have been. My mobile started to go wild and Mr Angelique
just told me to get off the motorway and get home, do not enter London, do not pass go and collect £200 etc etc.
Being a soldier and privvy to more information than us I didn't question it and then turned the radio on to hear the abhorrent news.
So am home safe and sound but feeling a little sick and praying to whoever to keep him and many others safe and sound in this horrid fight against those evil bas****s who want to kill us all.
Love to everyone on here and keep you and yours safe :kiss: :flower:

p.s He's not telling me anything which worries me more than when he does talk about things to me! Fingers crossed :sick:

Tiggerbabe
8th-July-2005, 12:04 AM
Just :hug: to all the London forumites. Hope all your loved ones are safe and well.

Debster
8th-July-2005, 08:37 AM
So pleased so many of you have checked in to let us know you are OK. I have been thinking of all my lovely friends in London from both Ceroc and the British Library, all so close to the mayhem. Still haven't heard from a couple of them.

Big hugs and Lots of love, Debster

David Bailey
8th-July-2005, 09:14 AM
Whether people go out or not is up to them I think. People do deal with things differently and sometimes carrying on 'as normal' is the easiest and most helpful thing to do, esp in light of terrorist attacks when they are aiming to be disruptive. So for those who did go out dancing, I hope it defused the tension, stress and worry of the day. :hug:

I've been thinking about this a lot since last night - the "Is it right to dance / enjoy yourself?" question. And the general reactions of people to crises. And the whole "cost of living in London" thing I was referring to a few days ago.

In a crisis, there will be some people who are magnificent - not just the superb emergency services ( :worthy: ), but ordinary members of the public who become heroes. They help the injured, they save lives and risk their own in the process.

There will be some people whose actions are exploitative - looters, hotel owners (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4662809.stm), people selling photos of the dead and dying, and so on.

And there will be most of us who just try to survive or get on with our lives - not being able to deal with these issues; or more appropriately, our method of dealing is to live our lives as normal, and perhaps try to help out in a small way where we can (for example, giving lifts to people home if you have a car). I'm in this third group, I believe.

So, I'll continue to live my life as normal, and yes, that means I'll go out dancing as I'd already planned to. And hopefully I'll have a good time.

Even if I do have to try this silly "raisins" line...

Lynn
8th-July-2005, 09:29 AM
I had reported last night 53 dead as I had heard that on ITV, but reports are actually still at 37 dead, 17 critical (though apparently one paper is claiming 75 dead but then when are newspapers accurate?). Apologies for passing on mis-information.

Dizzy
8th-July-2005, 10:26 AM
Just wanted to mention a HUGE :worthy: :clap: to all the unsung heroes from yesterday. Not just the AMAZING work of the hospital staff and emergency services :worthy: but also found out today that the staff at Marks and Spencer on Edgware Road not only handed out free water and food, started handing out blankets but when the blankets ran out, started to take clothes off the hangers to hand out to people to keep them warm.

:worthy:

Ballroom queen
8th-July-2005, 10:44 AM
Just wanted to mention a HUGE :worthy: :clap: to all the unsung heroes from yesterday. Not just the AMAZING work of the hospital staff and emergency services :worthy: but also found out today that the staff at Marks and Spencer on Edgware Road not only handed out free water and food, started handing out blankets but when the blankets ran out, started to take clothes off the hangers to hand out to people to keep them warm.

Thank you. I have to say the major incident plans worked VERY well.

As for dancing last night my main concern was that the police had politely asked people only to travel if essential.

Purple Sparkler
8th-July-2005, 10:49 AM

I have to say that the field hospital being set up in Marks and Spencers made me think 'yep, this is Britain alright!'.

KatieR
8th-July-2005, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear you are OK. It took me two hours to get through to Mandy in NZ. She was at Ceroc when she heard and the class almost stopped to hear the news. Everyone ran to a phone to get in touch with loved ones over here.

Fulham went ahead last night as planned, and even though the group was small, led by Simon B we formed a great group not willing to bow to the fear and pressure put upon us. Simon gave a great few words at the end and it made me very proud to be in London. Not to mention learning a great aussie fave the Go Cat and variations thereof.

Ceroc in Adelaide where I am from were all very relieved to hear I was okay and received many emails from everyone wishing myself and everyone here well.

Im convinced that even though there is evil in the world, there are still a number of angels masquerading as humans out there and I think I may know some of them :flower:

Hugs to all.

Purple Sparkler
8th-July-2005, 11:02 AM
Fulham went ahead last night as planned, and even though the group was small, led by Simon B we formed a great group not willing to bow to the fear and pressure put upon us. Simon gave a great few words at the end and it made me very proud to be in London. Not to mention learning a great aussie fave the Go Cat and variations thereof.

Ceroc in Adelaide where I am from were all very relieved to hear I was okay and received many emails from everyone wishing myself and everyone here well.

Im convinced that even though there is evil in the world, there are still a number of angels masquerading as humans out there and I think I may know some of them :flower:

Hugs to all.

I concur- I was glad I went to Fulham last night. :clap: to Simon for his speech. I also think it did me a lot of good- it had been a weird and upsetting day, what with hearing one of the bombs go off and spending most of the afternoon checking other people were OK and reassuring friends in America, but I talked to new people, saw Forumite (and other) friends, and got cheered up. That was important.

Dizzy
8th-July-2005, 11:10 AM

Hugs to all.

I could not get to Fulham from North London last night. :tears:

I am only frustrated that I was not able to get there last night as I think that it would have distracted me for a while to what was happening and be around friends instead at being stuck at home with only the news. :mad:

KatieR
8th-July-2005, 11:16 AM
I concur- I was glad I went to Fulham last night. :clap: to Simon for his speech. I also think it did me a lot of good- it had been a weird and upsetting day, what with hearing one of the bombs go off and spending most of the afternoon checking other people were OK and reassuring friends in America, but I talked to new people, saw Forumite (and other) friends, and got cheered up. That was important.

Definately, being so far from home and have people I couldn't contact to let them know I was alright was very frightening for me. I walked from Holloway where the bus stopped to Westminster (roughly taking about 3 and a half hours) so that I could be with someone who needed cheering (you know who you are :flower: :flower: ) and I really needed to be with friends also. I think I earnt my right to take one bus 15 minutes to Fulham to be with a few people so that we could all unite and share our experiences.

dancing is about union, togetherness, life, friendship and support not just shuffling your feet to some music. How can that be wrong in the face of adversity?

LMC
8th-July-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah, this... (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22989-1685498,00.html)

(Matthew Parris in the Times today)

If the only real impact on our lives has been inconvenience, then the best way of "fighting back" is to refuse, as far as possible, to allow these people to be important enough to upset our routine and our emotions - and save our energies for those who have been genuinely affected by injury or bereavement.

drathzel
8th-July-2005, 12:06 PM
I take it all our dancers are present and correct then? I was thinking about all you london dancers yesterday when the news flash came on ITV and 10 oclock! My thoughts are with those who have been or had family hurt or injured :hug: