PDA

View Full Version : Skirt or trousers for the ladies

JoC
6th-July-2005, 01:54 PM
Just wondering, what ladies prefer wearing and what gentlemen prefer ladies wearing and why? (Gentlemen who enjoy wearing skirts feel free to comment also...)

I wear both, so far I've always worn trousers to club nights (apart from anything, I'd feel a little self-conscious in a skirt) and wear a skirt or trousers to party nights. I do enjoy a bit of skirt swishing, but occasionally feel ever so slightly (only a little bit) limited in terms of the practicality of certain moves.

Any thoughts?

(I notice Jockey posted on the costume thread that he prefers ladies in tight trousers, I wondered why tight...?)
:grin:

ducasi
6th-July-2005, 02:04 PM
It makes not the slightest bit of difference to me. Unless the skirt is short. :devil:

I can only presume it was a lady in a skirt who lost her knickers at last night's class... Hmm... I guess she'll be wearing trousers in future. :D

JoC
6th-July-2005, 02:07 PM
I can only presume it was a lady in a skirt who lost her knickers at last night's class...
Eh!?!?!?!?!

ducasi
6th-July-2005, 02:26 PM
Eh!?!?!?!?! A pair of knickers appeared on the floor last night in the middle of the class. No-one is quite sure where they came from... Read more about it on my blog (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/07/05/late-again-to-jjs/).

Anyway, a more serious response to your question...

As I said, I don't really mind either way, though I do like the swirly skirt thing that you don't get in trousers. But I've had difficulties before dancing with women with big skirts, you know, that stand out a good foot around them. They look great, but tend to get in the way a bit. Can also make it difficult to see what she's doing with her feet. (Not that I consciously take that into account while dancing. :whistle:)

On balance, I guess on class nights, trousers are probably the best bet, while on party nights, if you feel like it, an elegant dress or skirt is appreciated.

Or is that a sexist comment? :confused:

OK, what it really comes down to is... Ladies: wear whatever you want; we'll still want to dance with you.

Lee
6th-July-2005, 02:46 PM
Just wondering, what ladies prefer wearing and what gentlemen prefer ladies wearing and why? (Gentlemen who enjoy wearing skirts feel free to comment also...)

I wear both, so far I've always worn trousers to club nights (apart from anything, I'd feel a little self-conscious in a skirt) and wear a skirt or trousers to party nights. I do enjoy a bit of skirt swishing, but occasionally feel ever so slightly (only a little bit) limited in terms of the practicality of certain moves.

Any thoughts?

(I notice Jockey posted on the costume thread that he prefers ladies in tight trousers, I wondered why tight...?)

Hi,

I always wear jeans to evening classes (for comfort), and if on a weekend Camber or Bognor event i take a pair of combats. For things like Hammersmith freestyle or a more classy dance functions i might put on a pair of trousers.

Generally, i would say just wear want you wear but i do find it hard to do some of my moves if a lady is wearing a longer skirt.

For the ladies, does it not depend on what footwear you want to wear?

God, then you've got to match the shoes to the handbag.......... :rolleyes:

Lee

Danielle
6th-July-2005, 03:13 PM
for me its just down to the weather - in the winter trousers, unless its a really special event, and on a hot summers day, nothing but a little skirt will do!!! (i always wear shorts underneath though!!! :innocent: )

Aleks
6th-July-2005, 03:19 PM
Flowing skirts and dresses only for me (with big knicks).

Trousers are just too hot.

David Bailey
6th-July-2005, 03:22 PM
Trousers. Always, no question about it.

Whilst some ladies carry off skirts superbly (e.g. ZW :drool: ), for 95% of the time it's much easier to do moves with a trouser-wearer than a skirt wearer. For example, going down for a wiggly-seducer thing can be awkward with some types of skirt, and it's annoying to be halfway through the move and then find that out :(

Andy McGregor
6th-July-2005, 03:58 PM
For me it's usually trousers. My legs are so hairy I have to wear tights with skirts and they are far too hot and clammy :sick: And, I find that it's much more difficult to find the right shoes when you're wearing a skirt ...

One lady commented to me recently that if she wears a dress she gets asked to dance much more than she does when she wears trousers :flower:

Lory
6th-July-2005, 03:58 PM
I much prefer trousers for the comfort value AND I feel I dance better in them, cos they don't unexpectedly twist round or get caught up, I don't have a fear that if I fall over, i'll suddenly expose myself and I can do wiggly-seducer things with David James! :D

But sometimes I feel it's the lazy option and I'm wearing an MJ uniform. (Black trousers, black top! :rolleyes: )

So, occasionally I make the effort and wear a dress or skirt! :na:

One unexpected thing that happened at Southport. I wore a new skirt to the Hot hot hot thing and gradually, due to the heat and possibly moisture :blush: , the waistband started to expand! :really: It started off fairly tight around my waist an hour later I was in serious danger of it falling to the floor! :eek:

Luckily, I had a change of clothes in my Chalet! :grin:

Rhythm King
6th-July-2005, 04:25 PM
ILuckily, I had a change of clothes in my Chalet! :grin:

So I should hope! You wouldn't want to have just one outfit for the whole weekend - eugh! :really: And after all, what would the Andy McGregors of this world do, when they wanted to go play dressing up? :wink:

R-K :hug:

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 04:30 PM
It makes not the slightest bit of difference to me. Unless the skirt is short. :devil:

I can only presume it was a lady in a skirt who lost her knickers at last night's class... Hmm... I guess she'll be wearing trousers in future. :D

she was dancing with you at the time wasnt she :rofl:

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 04:33 PM
When i see me dancing... mirror or other, i think my dance style suits me wearing trousers. I am just not elegant enough for skirts. However, i bought the most gorgeous skirt (tendy not elegant) on sat and shall be wearing it to Glasgow Party night on Sat. I tend to wear skirts to party nights or functions even tho i prefer trousers. :hug:

ducasi
6th-July-2005, 04:33 PM
she was dancing with you at the time wasnt she :rofl:
Yep, perhaps I have a knicker-loosening effect on women... Just lucky, I guess. :innocent:

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 04:34 PM
Yep, perhaps I have a knicker-loosening effect on women... Just lucky, I guess. :innocent:

or something like that..... :whistle:

ducasi
6th-July-2005, 04:35 PM
However, i bought the most gorgeous skirt (trendy not elegant) on sat and shall be wearing it to Glasgow Party night on Sat. I tend to wear skirts to party nights or functions even tho i prefer trousers. :hug: :clap: :flower:

JoC
6th-July-2005, 05:19 PM
i do find it hard to do some of my moves if a lady is wearing a longer skirt

I tend to wear skirts to party nights or functions even tho i prefer trousers. :hug:
Lee you wouldn't have a problem with Drathzel's skirts that I've seen so far... :D :devil: Drathzel, you wear them well! (Envy envy envy...) Look forward to seeing Saturday's. :flower:

jivecat
6th-July-2005, 05:41 PM
I like wearing the Ceroc black trousers uniform, though with a coloured top, because it's comfortable, flattering, anonymous (perhaps a yashmak would be a good addition?) and I can wear dance sneakers with them.

I do wear skirts & dresses, shortish & swirly, and like the way they feel, but can't always be bothered sorting out the tights/ high heels thing. I think I probably get asked to dance more if I wear a skirt, but I haven't done a scientific survey. I think I get asked more if I'm wearing something I really, really like.

Skirts can be a bit inhibiting with some moves, as I try to remember mother's advice about a lady always keeping her knees together. And there's always the knicker problem - big knicks/ shorts are absolutely essential, but even that wasn't much help when this guy suddenly turned me upside down when I was wearing a very swirly dress resulting in instant loss of dignity and decorum. :blush: Luckily it was in a dark corner of a blues room so I don't think anyone noticed. :eek: Think about a lady's clothing before trying certain moves, guys!

The worst thing is a thong with a short, swirly skirt.

El Salsero Gringo
6th-July-2005, 06:09 PM
Think about a lady's clothing before trying certain moves, guys!We do...

JoC
6th-July-2005, 06:13 PM
Just remembering...I saw a lady wearing stockings and suspenders at one event (with little dress). That...I think is daring....

Are you that lady and would you recommend it?

fletch
6th-July-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi,

you've got to match the shoes to the handbag.......... :rolleyes:

Lee

I spend my life shopping for shoes and handbags, thats half the fun....................... :nice:

Lynn
6th-July-2005, 07:13 PM
I love everything I wear to dance and I love that people do make some effort in what they wear to dance and we can wear sparkly tops and pretty swirly skirts! :clap:

I get these great black stretchy fabric trousers that I have as 'dancing trousers' (usually for about £4 age 12 in the teenage section of New Look but don't tell anyone :rofl: ) but even though they are very light they are still a bit hot for crowded/summer/holiday dancing. On the other hand I'm not a fan of tights, so skirts aren't as suitable in the winter. So its partly seasonal with me.

And also depends on my mood - am I in a black trousers and trainers 'funky' dance mood? A black trousers and b&w 'swing' mood? A heels and skirt 'tango' mood?

And if I am doing a class, trousers are better esp if there are likely to be any lifts! But I think nice shoes look better with a skirt - though I love the b&ws flashing out from the edge of the black trousers.

I got a great black skirt that has now become my skirt version of the dancing trousers - black skirt, black top with a hint of red, with red shoes - really make the shoes stand out.

(Can you tell I like dance shoes?! :whistle: )

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
6th-July-2005, 09:31 PM
However, i bought the most gorgeous skirt (tendy not elegant) on sat and shall be wearing it to Glasgow Party night on Sat.

Sounds luvly D :hug: I don't think i'm quite ready for skirts just yet, so i'll stick to me trousers for now :grin:

And as for those knickers last night... :eek: :rofl:

Ashx

Gadget
6th-July-2005, 09:59 PM
What exactly is the social ettiquete when your partner is shedding clothes infront of you as you are dancing with them? :whistle:

frodo
6th-July-2005, 10:12 PM
Anything but long tight skirts / dresses ( as in at the hem ) are good.

Never quite worked out why ladies wear these to dance events. :confused:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
6th-July-2005, 10:32 PM
Anything but long tight skirts / dresses ( as in at the hem ) are good.

Never quite worked out why ladies wear these to dance events. :confused:

If I ever wore a skirt, i'd want one of those ones that was like stitched in a bit just above the knee that would then float out below the knee to the bottom so when you twirl its looks really cool :waycool: Does anyone know what I mean? I don't know if has a name or not.

Ashx

Tiggerbabe
6th-July-2005, 10:54 PM
What exactly is the social ettiquete when your partner is shedding clothes infront of you as you are dancing with them? :whistle:
Not sure, but I heard tell that if you're sitting down at the time you give them money :innocent: :innocent:

MartinHarper
6th-July-2005, 11:00 PM
I danced with one woman who was wearing a hobble skirt, and that was kinda interesting. Close holds didn't work, and nor did anything that lead her to take long steps.

Personally I like the skirt over trousers thing for its mix of practicality and twirliness.

ducasi
7th-July-2005, 12:27 AM
Not sure, but I heard tell that if you're sitting down at the time you give them money :innocent: :innocent:
:rofl: :clap:

Andy McGregor
7th-July-2005, 01:39 AM
(Can you tell I like dance shoes?! :whistle: )Sorry, I think I'm partly to blame for this :blush: I can remember taking Lynn shopping in Felix and having to persuade her that a pair of B&W shoes looked fab on her. Nowadays she's probably got hundreds of shoes to choose from - I believe the only thing that worries her is the check-in weight limit :wink:

Yliander
7th-July-2005, 06:29 AM
my preference is for skirts - I have nearly a dozen black ones :blush: but it does tend to be seasonal - I have about 1/2 dozen black pants that are wearable for dancing.

I will wear skirts to class or parties - with correct underwear all is good. Pants I will generally wear to class but not to parties

and I have a range of exercised/yoga/jazz pants that I use for training and workshops although I have got some skirts for this now too

David Bailey
7th-July-2005, 08:12 AM
Yes, that's something I've always wondered too. Keeps me awake at nights :innocent:

What about the Strap Question? I.e. is it polite to lift a lady's falling strap and put it back in place, or should we leave it dangling? I've developed a couple of StrapComb moves specifically for that type of occasion, but they always fall back.

Of course, it's kinda nice work replacing them :whistle:

Gadget
7th-July-2005, 08:35 AM
Ah... good reason not to sit down :whistle:

What about the Strap Question? I.e. is it polite to lift a lady's falling strap and put it back in place, or should we leave it dangling? I've developed a couple of StrapComb moves specifically for that type of occasion, but they always fall back.
Now don't tell me you've not worked the other way yet and developed moves specifically for removal of straps... buckles... catches... :devil:

{No? Nor have I :innocent: Just need some willing <strike>vict..</strike> volunteers to develop them with :devil::wink: ...I seem to be able to make a lady's skirt climb or fall off without using any specific moves; I wonder what I could do if I tried :devil::evilgrin:}

David Bailey
7th-July-2005, 09:30 AM
Now don't tell me you've not worked the other way yet and developed moves specifically for removal of straps... buckles... catches... :devil:
...handcuffs... oh hold on, we're talking about dancing? :blush:

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 10:17 AM
Yes, that's something I've always wondered too. Keeps me awake at nights :innocent:

Of course, it's kinda nice work replacing them :whistle: Not just straps, I have some Morgan halterneck tops (bought in the sales of course!) and they have large white labels at the back (with washing instructions etc) - during dancing this must have escaped and been noticed, the guy executed a move that swung me round in front of him with my back to him, a pause (which fitted the music) and a quick tuck of the label and on with the move! Very neat! :rofl:

(I have since removed the label!)

Little Monkey
7th-July-2005, 10:45 AM
BAGGY BLACK TROUSERS!!!!!!!!! To go with my B'n'Ws of course.... :cool: :D :D :D :D

Failing that, if I feel brave and girly..... A twirly skirt!!!

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I think I'm partly to blame for this :blush: I can remember taking Lynn shopping in Felix and having to persuade her that a pair of B&W shoes looked fab on her. Nowadays she's probably got hundreds of shoes to choose from - I believe the only thing that worries her is the check-in weight limit :wink: Yeah Andy, its all your fault! :wink:

Funny thing is, I'm not like that with normal shoes, yes I have quite a few pairs, but I seem to get a special joy out of dance shoes.

And on the whole skirt thing esp - anyone else do spins in the changing room, move about to check the material doesn't restrict dancing movement and basically ask 'can I dance in this' about potential new purchases!?

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 11:24 AM
And on the whole skirt thing esp - anyone else do spins in the changing room, move about to check the material doesn't restrict dancing movement and basically ask 'can I dance in this' about potential new purchases!?
:yeah: x several 1000!

All the time. If I can't dance in it, or work in it, I don't buy it.

I do have a reasonable preference for skirts on *some* nights as so many friends have told me I have fantastic legs (no, I didn't coerce them into it), and you never know what effect showing them off might have... :innocent: But if there's a likelihood I'll be being flipped upside down, or if it's cold, or my skirts are all in the wash, I go with my Lipsy dancing trousers (they have nifty lace up bits).

In the heat wave this year I also did a lot of dancing in shorts.

Yliander
7th-July-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah Andy, its all your fault! :wink:

Funny thing is, I'm not like that with normal shoes, yes I have quite a few pairs, but I seem to get a special joy out of dance shoes.

And on the whole skirt thing esp - anyone else do spins in the changing room, move about to check the material doesn't restrict dancing movement and basically ask 'can I dance in this' about potential new purchases!?Is there any other way to shop?????? :confused: :eek: :D

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 11:43 AM
Is there any other way to shop?????? :confused: :eek: :D No! But I do get some funny looks in changing rooms sometimes when trying skirts for 'dancability'! :rofl:

Haven't danced in shorts, but cropped trousers are good for that in between style - still look reasonably OK with trainers.

Petal
7th-July-2005, 01:32 PM
No! But I do get some funny looks in changing rooms sometimes when trying skirts for 'dancability'! :rofl:

:yeah: Me too. People will just see your feet and ankles spinning, they must wonder what's going on.

Petal
7th-July-2005, 01:34 PM

Yes. :clap:

CJ
7th-July-2005, 01:39 PM

I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVE dancing in the kilt. (not always the best while demoing on stage tho!!) Nobody mention ZW's "special" moves!!!!

I feel my style has changed to bring out the best of it, too. Quirky kick type things that I have no control over, etc :blush:

The ladies thing?? Is not that important as long as you feel good in it. THAT will have way more effect then what it is you are wearing. :flower:

Tessalicious
7th-July-2005, 02:06 PM
And on the whole skirt thing esp - anyone else do spins in the changing room, move about to check the material doesn't restrict dancing movement and basically ask 'can I dance in this' about potential new purchases!?Skirts/dresses - can I dance in this (right length, nice twirl)?
Trousers - can I dance in these (on the rare occasions a skirt won't do)?
Tops - can I dance in this (is it going to fall off/down/up)?
Shoes - can I dance in these (or at least wear them to dancing to 'make an entrance')?
Bags - can I take this with me to dancing?
Make-up - does this go with anything I wear dancing?
Underwear - well, you get the picture :yum:
I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVE dancing in the kilt. (not always the best while demoing on stage tho!!) Hmm, and what does a Scotsman wear under his kilt when demoing - string, floss, or the traditional :devil: ?

El Salsero Gringo
7th-July-2005, 02:45 PM
Skirts/dresses - can I dance in this (right length, nice twirl)?And when did you last wear anything long enough to twirl?

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 02:58 PM
And when did you last wear anything long enough to twirl?

:rofl: Don't hit me, Tessa, but it's funny 'cos it's true. I would cite Tuesday's dress as evidence! :devil:

I'm just jealous, you know- I could never get away with wearing a skirt that short. :(

CJ
7th-July-2005, 03:20 PM
Hmm, and what does a Scotsman wear under his kilt when demoing - string, floss, or the traditional :devil: ?

Gold! :rofl:

Tessalicious
7th-July-2005, 03:25 PM
And when did you last wear anything long enough to twirl? :what: ----- :tears: (actually depending on what you define as 'long enough to twirl' I would say, um last Thursday maybe? :blush:)

I would cite Tuesday's dress as evidence! Yeah alright, accepted just this once, but normally my skirts are at least an inch longer than that one...
I'm just jealous, you know- I could never get away with wearing a skirt that short Rubbish, Miss 'Fantastic legs'! :flower:

Seriously though,
But I do get some funny looks in changing rooms sometimes when trying skirts for 'dancability'! :yeah: particularly in open plan changing rooms, or when trying on shoes and 'CerocTM-testing them in the middle of a crowded shoe shop.. can't imagine why this seems strange. Maybe I should get a sign to hang on my back when I go dance-shopping - "Yes I know I look silly, no need to comment thank you very much"...

El Salsero Gringo
7th-July-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm just jealous, you know- I could never get away with wearing a skirt that short.Go on, give it a try...

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 03:44 PM
:what: ----- :tears: (actually depending on what you define as 'long enough to twirl' I would say, um last Thursday maybe? :blush:)
Yeah alright, accepted just this once, but normally my skirts are at least an inch longer than that one...
And that inch would be the 'twirly' bit, right? :D

Rubbish, Miss 'Fantastic legs'! :flower:

They're only fantastic until about halfway up my thigh- after that the 'stairway to heaven' gets a bit of what you might call a camber increase! The skirt I was wearing last night is the shortest dance skirt I own. I do love it, despite the rather 'interesting' effect it has when dancing close to fans! Very Marilyn Monroe...

Seriously though, :yeah: particularly in open plan changing rooms, or when trying on shoes and 'CerocTM-testing them in the middle of a crowded shoe shop.. can't imagine why this seems strange. Maybe I should get a sign to hang on my back when I go dance-shopping - "Yes I know I look silly, no need to comment thank you very much"...

You know the answer, don't you: MASS FORUMETTE SHOPPING TRIP! One person dance-testing a skirt is a bit odd, but they can't argue with a whole bunch of us doing the changing-room-shimmy-shake!

Go on, give it a try...

You know, the truth or dare thread is in 'Take It Upstairs'...

Tessalicious
7th-July-2005, 03:49 PM
And that inch would be the 'twirly' bit, right? :D Er, yup.
You know the answer, don't you: MASS FORUMETTE SHOPPING TRIP! One person dance-testing a skirt is a bit odd, but they can't argue with a whole bunch of us doing the changing-room-shimmy-shake! That, my dear, is an inspired idea. When London settles down a bit, I think we should organise it - perhaps simultaneous trips in Ceroc-towns all over the UK.
And if we all promise to buy short skirts and low cut halterneck tops, do you think the male forumites will sponsor us?

Dizzy
7th-July-2005, 03:49 PM
:rofl: Don't hit me, Tessa, but it's funny 'cos it's true. I would cite Tuesday's dress as evidence! :devil:

I'm just jealous, you know- I could never get away with wearing a skirt that short. :( [/SIZE]

:yeah: :yeah:

Tessalicious can wear some quite revelaing outfits but has the figure to get away with it so good on her!! :flower:

PS, you have a stomach to die for, what are you on about!! :hug:

Sparkles
7th-July-2005, 03:50 PM
Go on, give it a try...

...This coming from a guy who objects to a little cleavage :rolleyes:

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 03:51 PM
Er, yup. That, my dear, is an inspired idea. When London settles down a bit, I think we should organise it - perhaps simultaneous trips in Ceroc-towns all over the UK.
And if we all promise to buy short skirts and low cut halterneck tops, do you think the male forumites will sponsor us?

I think we should do it soon- got to carry on living, and not let the *string of obscenities* who decided to plant those bombs win. And when we go, we have to go into at least one shop with an open plan changing room.

Tessalicious
7th-July-2005, 03:51 PM
Tessalicious can wear some quite revelaing outfits but has the figure to get away with it so good on her!! :flower: Thank you darlin, :blush: ooh look you made me go all red. But you always look gorgeous too :kiss:

PS, you have a stomach to die for, what are you on about!! :hug: :yeah:

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 03:53 PM
:yeah:

It's not the stomach! It's the top half of the thighs!

Dizzy
7th-July-2005, 03:57 PM
Er, yup. That, my dear, is an inspired idea. When London settles down a bit, I think we should organise it - perhaps simultaneous trips in Ceroc-towns all over the UK.

:yeah:
That would be a shopping trip to remember!!! :whistle:

The last shopping trip I went with PS, we spent 6 hours wandering around Brent Cross, it would be so much fun having mass forumite shopping for clothes.

I need advice when shopping for dance clothes!!! :cheers:

Cruella
7th-July-2005, 05:32 PM
I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVE dancing in the kilt. [SIZE=1] Nobody mention ZW's "special" moves!!!![/COLOR]

I
Would that be the move where ZW needed to shut her eyes tight for fear of going blind? :rofl:

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 05:42 PM
I get these great black stretchy fabric trousers that I have as 'dancing trousers' (usually for about £4 age 12 in the teenage section of New Look but don't tell anyone :rofl: ) Got another pair of these today on the way home from work - £5 :clap: (they had a pair at £3 but they were age 13 and way too long - how tall are teenagers these days? :really: )

Lory
7th-July-2005, 06:00 PM
Hmm, and what does a Scotsman wear under his kilt when demoing - string, floss, or the traditional :devil: ?
I've seen what CJ wears under his kilt, :really: when he stood at the top of the grand steps of Ealing Town Hall and lifted his kilt :eek: :rofl: and I can report back, he definitely wouldn't put it the machine, when it needs washing! :whistle:

Whitebeard
7th-July-2005, 11:44 PM
What do they call those skirts which are sort of wraparoundy and start off at mid-thigh level and end up virtually at waist level. In combination with thingy thongy things. 'orrible. There is no way this can be accidental. I stear well clear.

MartinHarper
7th-July-2005, 11:52 PM
Whitebeard: sarongs?

Lynn
7th-July-2005, 11:55 PM
...thingy thongy things... :rofl:

Skirts that 'ascend' as you spin really need to be worn in combination with a 'substantial amount of material' undergarment to maintain modesty. :whistle:

Whitebeard
8th-July-2005, 12:02 AM
:rofl:

Skirts that 'ascend' as you spin really need to be worn in combination with a 'substantial amount of material' undergarment to maintain modesty. :whistle:
This "lady" in question didn't know the meaning of modesty !!!

El Salsero Gringo
8th-July-2005, 12:23 AM
This "lady" in question didn't know the meaning of modesty !!!Did you get her number? Is she free on Wednesdays?

Tiggerbabe
8th-July-2005, 12:36 AM
Is she free on Wednesdays?
Does she charge much on the other days? :whistle:

RogerR
8th-July-2005, 07:51 AM
Trousers or skirt? It's what you want to wear, and how you wear it. Some people have their particular fashion line others change their styles. The London area has women of most degrees of modesty even those who regard modesty as negative.

For some dancers the show-off/performance aspect is important and for others the dancing is a private thing, - dress accordingly.

But dont think we men won't notice and maybe respond differently to different looks

Donna
8th-July-2005, 04:34 PM

Any thoughts?

WELL I PREFER TO WEAR TROUSERS....WHY?? 1. BECAUSE MY LEGS ARE SOOOO WHITE THEY WOULD BLIND PEOPLE :waycool: AND 2. SO WHEN I'M DOING ANYTHING LIKE DROPS OR ARIELS I KNOW I WON'T BE FLASHING MY KNICKERS. THE ONLY TIME I WOULD WEAR A SKIRT IS IF I HAD A SPRAY TAN FIRST!!!!

Just Wiggle
8th-July-2005, 04:39 PM
WELL I PREFER TO WEAR TROUSERS....WHY?? 1. BECAUSE MY LEGS ARE SOOOO WHITE THEY WOULD BLIND PEOPLE AND 2. SO WHEN I'M DOING ANYTHING LIKE DROPS OR ARIELS I KNOW I WON'T BE FLASHING MY KNICKERS. THE ONLY TIME I WOULD WEAR A SKIRT IS IF I HAD A SPRAY TAN FIRST!!!!

Well said Donna!

Plus I was at a dance last Saturday when some guy turned this woman upside down and her skirt went right over her head! Just not right! I bet that woman was mortified!

Gill (Norwich)
19th-July-2005, 01:59 PM
Definately skirts. Carefully chosen to be full and flare but are always tested so they never show my underwear! :blush:

Commis Chef
20th-July-2005, 09:10 PM
WHEN I'M DOING ANYTHING LIKE DROPS OR ARIELS I KNOW I WON'T BE FLASHING MY KNICKERS.

What's wrong with knickers? Rena showed hers off regularly. The dancers on Strictly Dance Fever showed theirs. We show off bikini bottoms on the beach and wear leotard shorts in the gym.

I get far too hot in trousers to dance in anything but a short skirt. Showing my (big - bikini bottoms actually) knickers causes me very little concern.

Be proud of a flash of a shapely dancer's thigh.

Lynn
21st-July-2005, 12:31 AM
What's wrong with knickers? Rena showed hers off regularly. The dancers on Strictly Dance Fever showed theirs. We show off bikini bottoms on the beach and wear leotard shorts in the gym. And you can get 'dance' pairs that are, or even shorts. Very modest.

Whitebeard
21st-July-2005, 11:23 AM
Be proud of a flash of a shapely dancer's thigh.
Spread the message !!!

frodo
21st-July-2005, 10:07 PM
Definately skirts. Carefully chosen to be full and flare but are always tested so they never show my underwear! :blush:
While showing underwear is entirely optional, I've discovered I do like to be able to see the ladies feet.

So trousers or non-obscuring skirts are good.

I reckon with open-toed shoes it's just a sensible self-preservation strategy.

And how can we admire your shoes if we can't see them :confused:

Icey
22nd-July-2005, 12:37 PM
I've got a fab black dress which swirls out when I turn, unfortunately I've only worn it to unsprung floor venues before so when I wore it to Ashtons last weekend I ended up flashing my pants at everyone.

I was wearing the big pants/shorts variety so I was decent but I've decided to write / embroider something on the back of my pants so in the future if I do flash them mid spin people have something else to look at and it might make them laugh and ask me to dance.

Purple Sparkler
22nd-July-2005, 12:41 PM

I thought I had one of those. It's a beautiful black jersey number, and swirls in a lovely manner which I thought still maintained modesty.

Then Rhythm King steered me in front of a fan at Fulham.
I quote:
Silver Fox: Are her knickers rummage proof?
Rhythm King: I'm not sure- I'll just spin her again...
*spins me and crouches down with quizzical look on his face*

I'd put up a :blush: but I actually wasn't that embarrassed. I was too busy laughing.

Lynn
22nd-July-2005, 12:44 PM
And how can we admire your shoes if we can't see them :confused: My dancing trousers are long (because I am too short :tears: even when buying teenagers sizes :tears: ) - that's why I love my new red shoes and my black and whites as you can't always see the whole shoe - but you can certainly see where my feet are with the white or red showing. :clap:

I love it when a thread goes 'shoey'! :grin:

Pink Lady
22nd-July-2005, 03:54 PM

Anyone in particular you are thinking of with this question, Gadget?

Andy McGregor
22nd-July-2005, 05:12 PM
My dancing trousers are long (because I am too short :tears: even when buying teenagers sizes :tears: ) - that's why I love my new red shoes and my black and whites as you can't always see the whole shoe - but you can certainly see where my feet are with the white or red showing. :clap:

I love it when a thread goes 'shoey'! :grin:One problem with skirts is that your heel can get caught in the hem. This leaves you hopping about on one foot trying not to put the other foot down as it might pull your skirt down with it - I remember it happening to at least one of the SCD competitors. You need to have the right shoes for each skirt.

The answer is to buy more shoes. Have shoes for trousers, shoes for short skirts, shoes for long skirts, shoes for shorts, etc. There is very little in life that can not be improved by the careful and considered purchase of a pair of fabulous shoes :flower:

David Franklin
22nd-July-2005, 05:17 PM
There is very little in life that can not be improved by the careful and considered purchase of a pair of fabulous shoes :flower:Your bank balance...?

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-July-2005, 05:23 PM
You need to have the right shoes for each skirt.
Have shoes for trousers, shoes for short skirts, shoes for long skirts ... Not to mention the shoes for when you're wearing no skirt at all... :whistle:

Purple Sparkler
22nd-July-2005, 05:26 PM
Not to mention the shoes for when you're wearing no skirt at all... :whistle:

I have several pairs like that. Though I miss my 'f*** me' boots, they were the perfect way to round off that PARTICULAR outfit...

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-July-2005, 05:30 PM
I have several pairs like that. Though I miss my 'f*** me' boots, they were the perfect way to round off that PARTICULAR outfit...I feel this thread heading upstairs faster than an express lift...

Lynn
22nd-July-2005, 07:33 PM
The answer is to buy more shoes. Have shoes for trousers, shoes for short skirts, shoes for long skirts, shoes for shorts, etc. There is very little in life that can not be improved by the careful and considered purchase of a pair of fabulous shoes :flower: Was shoe shopping today - not dance shoes, but got some fabby red shoes for wearing with jeans. And nice flip flop style ones to wear going into dance venues before putting on dance shoes - that look good with trousers or a skirt (subtle shift back to topic of thread before I get too carried away by shoes!)

JoC
1st-August-2005, 01:11 PM
Well I bought my most ridiculous (dancing) skirt yet last week. Haven't bought anything so unsuitable for me since my student days (sigh, the dodgy outfit memories...). I say roll on the next event that invites a little extra frivolity! ;)

ducasi
1st-August-2005, 01:19 PM
Well I bought my most ridiculous (dancing) skirt yet last week. Haven't bought anything so unsuitable for me since my student days (sigh, the dodgy outfit memories...). I say roll on the next event that invites a little extra frivolity! ;)
Cool! I've now changed my mind from what I said earlier in this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131876&postcount=4) and I now feel that swirly skirts should be mandatory. (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/07/27/swirly-skirts/) :waycool: