6th-July-2005, 12:50 PM
It's London!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bex
6th-July-2005, 12:51 PM
we Got It!!!!!!

David Franklin
6th-July-2005, 12:52 PM
Beat me to it!

BBC website is slashdotted! Never seen that before!

OK, who's going to do the "good news or bad news" poll?

LMC
6th-July-2005, 12:52 PM
As if the French didn't hate us enough already.

IOC should have compromised and voted for the games to be held in the Channel Tunnel.

< relents cynicism - good news really >

Lory
6th-July-2005, 12:53 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO! :clap: :clap: :clap:

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 12:54 PM
Woo Hoo.... oh wait i live in glasgow... no benefit to me :rofl:

(and before someone goes off on one abot the economy, i was only joking)

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 12:55 PM
Beat me to it!

BBC website is slashdotted! Never seen that before!

OK, who's going to do the "good news or bad news" poll?

slashdotted?

Purple Sparkler
Oh great, like there weren't ENOUGH tourists to begin with!

Hmm- I wonder if they'll need dancers for the opening ceremony like they did in Sydney?...what a BFG THAT would be!

DavidB
New dish on the menu at Gleneagles for Jacques Chirac

humble pie

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 12:56 PM
New dish on the menu at Gleneagles for Jacques Chirac

humble pie

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: have some rep

Simon r
6th-July-2005, 12:56 PM

wow beat the french buggers thats a first....

ohh no it isnt...

ok who is french that we can give a hard time

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 12:57 PM
wow beat the french buggers thats a first....

ohh no it isnt...

ok who is french that we can give a hard time

ummmm......only the omnipresent moderator!!!! :rofl:

Rhythm King
6th-July-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh Bu**er. That's a major rise in my council tax for the next 7 years :mad: Can't we find some way of making the French (sorry - Trafalgar 200 Celebrations PC mode on: "The Blues") pay for it?

R-K :devil:

Lory
6th-July-2005, 01:19 PM
Just had a scarey thought... My son and daughter will be 21 and 25 :eek:

Aww well, if I'm still living in London, maybe it'll be a good excuse for them to come and visit with their 'old' Mum and stay for a couple of weeks :o I mean, who knows what part of the globe they might be in by then? :rolleyes: :)

Dizzy
6th-July-2005, 01:24 PM

Yipee!!!

:clap: :clap: :cheers:

Andy McGregor
ummmm......only the omnipresent moderator!!!! :rofl:He was French, he's a Scot now :flower:

RachD
We won by 4 votes!

Andy McGregor
6th-July-2005, 01:26 PM
Just had a scarey thought... My son and daughter will be 21 and 25 :eek: I've had an even more scary thought. My daugthers will be 20, 24 and 26! Tell you son to keep his hands to himself :what:

RachD
6th-July-2005, 01:31 PM
I've had an even more scary thought. My daugthers will be 20, 24 and 26! Tell you son to keep his hands to himself :what:

An even more scarey thought... how old will we be? :really:

Sparkles
6th-July-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm in shock!
I was so sure Paris would win.

I think the Olympics will be good news (even if it does mean my council tax will go up).

Roll on 2012! :clap:

S. x

PS. Please can we keep the racist remaks to a minimum, they're not appropriate IMO. :flower:

DianaS
6th-July-2005, 01:49 PM
Does that mean there will be a dance category???

Any one want to complete??
Much more televisual don't ya know

Andy McGregor
6th-July-2005, 03:04 PM
PS. Please can we keep the racist remaks to a minimum, they're not appropriate IMO. :flower:The French aren't a different race from us Scots, they're a different nationality*.

*with hairier armpits :devil:

David Bailey
6th-July-2005, 03:06 PM
We won by 4 votes!
54-50, yes. Hmm, I wonder how the 2 Finnish IOC members voted :innocent:

PS. Please can we keep the racist remaks to a minimum, they're not appropriate IMO. :flower:
They started it, miss.

More to the point, that total nutter Chirac started it - the sooner he goes the better, he's not exactly doing his country many favours in the world at the moment.

I'm off to France on hols in a couple of weeks, just hoping I won't get lynched now :eek:

drathzel
6th-July-2005, 03:18 PM
54-50, yes. Hmm, I wonder how the 2 Finnish IOC members voted :innocent:

I heard they had 3 votes!!!!

Pammy
6th-July-2005, 03:21 PM
What is it with us lot,

we would have been disappointed if Paris had got it, not necessarily because we wanted it, just because we didn't want them to get it! :rofl:

David Bailey
6th-July-2005, 03:39 PM
What is it with us lot,

we would have been disappointed if Paris had got it, not necessarily because we wanted it, just because we didn't want them to get it! :rofl:
OK, I'll try to be serious for an entire post :eek:

You know, up until last week, I'd have been militantly indifferent who got it.

Now, I'll admit I'm happy to see Jacques Chirac humbled, I think he's a genuinely nasty guy.

Having said that, I didn't like seeing the crowds in Paris upset; they deserved it as much as London, they worked hard, they'd have had a great Olympics, and it's a shame they have an elitist corrupt scuzzball as a President. And I've no truck with the tabloid anti-French sentiment, it's pathetic and demeaning.

But, and this is serious, Chirac's playing the anti-British card to excuse his own domestic political failures; it's only natural for people to react when insulted. (Not that Blair is a saint, he stirred up anti-French feeling for domestic political purposes just before the Iraq war himself. ). Chirac is clearly out-of-touch; so of course to remedy this, he then appoints someone as PM who's never been elected to any office whatsoever. Reminds me of the last year or Maggie's reign, getting more and more divorced from reality.

My main fear now is that, because Chirac's in a major strop, he'll sabotage any G8 agreement on poverty / climate change out of sheer spite - I honestly believe he's capable of stooping that low, simply to deny Blair any perceived victory.

Groovy Dancer
6th-July-2005, 04:01 PM
Well it has started already... :whistle:

Simon r
6th-July-2005, 04:23 PM
Well it has started already... :whistle:
bugger just got that you beat me to it

cerocmetro
6th-July-2005, 04:24 PM
Wicked News. I think this is great for London. I wonder if we will see a bit of pride come back to the place.

Also it has just taken me 2 hours to drive from Finchley to the East End. This has to improve??? :sick:

I went to Athens last year and all the Taxi drivers go on about the new motorways and trains etc etc. Be interesting to see if anything happens here or will it just be another millenium fireworks display :sad:

As for Ceroc dancers at the opening Ceremony, better start brushing up on your Morris dancing :rofl:

Adam

Stuart
6th-July-2005, 04:28 PM
I have to say that I was veering towards the anti games side, as a result of having read the Andrew Jennings books about the IOC.

However I'm delighted now that we've won it and will soon be preparing my application as a volunteer!

cerocmetro
6th-July-2005, 04:35 PM
However I'm delighted now that we've won it and will soon be preparing my application as a volunteer!

Hey that gives me an idea :what:
Who would you vonunteer and for what job. I Volunteer Chirac as head of catering with the proviso that garlic cannot be used :whistle: Or better still as a waiter :rofl:

philsmove
12th-July-2005, 10:26 AM
You have probably all seen these but in case not

Stuart
16th-July-2005, 12:37 PM
If anybody is interested in volunteering, details can be found here:

www.london2012.com (http://www.london2012.com)