PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Soup for the Soul

Andy McGregor
5th-July-2005, 02:34 PM
This thread is for heartwarming stories. The things that made you feel good and wholesome the things that made you cry for joy, either for yourself of somebody else. Please recount the last time you did a good deed that made you feel good and the last time you cried (or at least had a lump in your throat/tear in your eye) for joy.

Here's mine;

Good Deed - I was putting out posters in Eastbourne a few weeks ago and needed the loo so I went to the railway station to find that I needed a 20p piece. So I brought a paper for 60p and got two 20p pieces as change. I nipped in the loo and on the way out saw a guy come in try the turnstyle, get his change out and look disappointed. So I gave him my other 20p saying it was my 'good deed for the day' - and he have me his 50p and said 'keep the change as my good deed for the day'. I felt good and made 30p profit too :flower:

Joyful Moment - I thought Kristie, of Nathan & Kristie in Strictly Dance Fever, was the best dancer in the show and was really disappointed when she was knocked out the week before the final: especially as the Movie Routine they did was so fabulous :worthy: I really was delighted and quite moved for Kristie when, at the final, it was announced that Arlene Phillips was offering to cast her in a show - it must have been a dream come true for Kirstie :tears:

Feelingpink
6th-July-2005, 05:17 PM
Joyful Moment: When I was having a rotten day and someone (at dancing) recently listened to me complain and then let me know their phone number in case I wanted to talk some more the next day. What a hun!

Good Deed: The closest I can think of is making sure that Rhythm King got to "quality check" the banana cake mixture on the bowl & spoon before the last T-Jive. When I returned, it was totally clean and on the draining board - bless - he'd washed it up too ... although it could have just been a very thorough tasting :sick:

Rhythm King
7th-July-2005, 10:15 AM
Good Deed: The closest I can think of is making sure that Rhythm King got to "quality check" the banana cake mixture on the bowl & spoon before the last T-Jive. When I returned, it was totally clean and on the draining board - bless - he'd washed it up too ... although it could have just been a very thorough tasting :sick:[/QUOTE]

:blush:

LMC
7th-July-2005, 10:33 AM
What a great thread :nice:

Good deed too many to mention :innocent: - actually, probably only a couple stand out in the last few weeks, one minor - a career lead to PS (good luck :flower: ) and a bigger one where I had the opportunity to use my shiny new First Aid qualification on a guy who collapsed with a fit in the street - ambulance arrived and took him away, will never know I guess - but I can honestly say that I probably saved his life. Scary thought that actually...

Joyful moment: Lots in the last week: being in a traffic jam, having a damn good cry, losing my temper and storming out of a class, having a difficult/depressing week generally - and why are those so joyful? Because I've managed to survive them all WITHOUT "benefit" of nicotine :clap: :clap: (Day 7 today :D ). OK, I know - I should never have started smoking in the first place, blah blah blah (too many years ago :eek: ). But although I'm not complacent I'm dead smug, as I've given up loads of times before ( :blush: ) but this time is definitely different. Damn it feels good to be free :D

BeeBee
8th-July-2005, 02:58 PM
Good Deed: Colleage has a son who had a job delivering bread and rolls. She used to bring in the extra ones from that mornings delivery for the office. I would snaffle some and take them down to Alan who sold the Big Issue near the office to make sure he had some basic food, and he wasnt spending his money from the sales of the Big Issue on something that he could get for free. Small gesture, but I think the both of us got something out of it . . .

Joyful Moment: Being introduced to my new wee cousin. Not usually a maternal kinda gal, but this wee bundle melted my heart. :flower:

Minnie M
9th-July-2005, 08:53 AM
Good Deed Went to the market on Wednesday and bought lots of fruit (was really good and cheap) and gave half to my next door neighbour who has two children and a husband who has just lost his job

Joyful momentWent to the doctors about my foot yesterday and the doctor was really surprised at my DOB as he said I didn't look my age :blush: :rofl: :rofl:

Feelingpink
11th-July-2005, 09:51 PM
Good DeedI'm about to mentor a fellow photographer who wants to hold a professional qualification I gained a number of years ago.

Joyful momentI was at London Bridge station tonight and noticed one toerag skipping his fare by dodging close behind another passenger as they went through the ticket barrier. He turned around, saw that I'd noticed and laughed at having got away with it. As I went through the barrier myself, I noticed his mate was trying the same trick behind me and stopped just after the barrier, trapping his mate between the now closed barrier and my backpack. I yelled at the travel staff guy to make him pay for his ticket as I'd done and the staffer was about to let him go (although I wasn't) when a man appeared on the other side of me, whipped out his police badge and insisted that the fare dodger be dealt with. YES! YES! Sometimes there is justice in this world. :clap: :clap:

This may not be quite what Andy had in mind when he started this thread ... but this did bring me joy as I saw it as someone not turning a blind eye when they could have done because I would like to live in a fair world (even if it is a pipe dream).

Andy McGregor
11th-July-2005, 10:20 PM
This may not be quite what Andy had in mind when he started this thread ... but this did bring me joy as I saw it as someone not turning a blind eye when they could have done because I would like to live in a fair world (even if it is a pipe dream).Hey, I'm not refereeing this thread - that said, I think this is a great story :worthy:

DianaS
12th-July-2005, 09:34 AM
Good deed
Saw a guy sitting on his own and looking sad at Daventry so I went and asked him to dance telling him I was only dancing with people I'd never danced with before. He said "well thats me" and we went off on the floor...

Joyful moment
Yes, you've guessed it Wow was he good! We had two dances and his heart and soul was well in it...

Andy McGregor
12th-July-2005, 01:29 PM
Joyful Moment Here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5829)

Minnie M
12th-July-2005, 04:26 PM
Joyful Moment Here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5829)
So true :D :yeah: :clap:

LMC
13th-July-2005, 02:48 PM
Having a bad week, so I need some chicken soup....

Good deed: have provided a shoulder to cry on for a couple of friends - not sure if I can really count it as they would (and have) done the same for me. :clap: :hug: for all good friends - old and new.

Joyful: The main reason for posting now - a huge thank you to the people who have sent PMs in support of my quitting the evil weed - I don't feel like I deserve 'em as the majority of people manage to get through life without nicotine, so why shouldn't I? But although I feel unworthy, they have been hugely appreciated :worthy: :flower: (Day 13 :clap: )

CJ
13th-July-2005, 03:02 PM
Good deed: Seeing an elderly gent across the street spinning and about to fall, I managed to get there and catch him in my knees before his head hit the road. The look of disbelief on his face as he stared up at me will never leave me.

Joyful Moment: With apologies for being gushy, but after a couple of minor complications, to hear Honor splutter, cough then cry.

Purple Sparkler
13th-July-2005, 03:03 PM
Good Deed: Providing accomodation at the Hotel Purple Sparkler for a little Aussie Firecracker. I *even* made her breakfast in bed both mornings! Boiled eggs with toast soldiers, and a nice cup of tea.

Joyful Moment: My last dance at ISH last night was good, if it counts. I was deeply flattered when my dance partner turned someone else down to grab me. :o

LMC
13th-July-2005, 03:13 PM
Joyful Moment: With apologies for being gushy, but after a couple of minor complications, to hear Honor splutter, cough then cry.

Since I am today's Official Forum Evil Demon B***h From Hell, I am going to take it upon myself to give you a big SLAP (and no, you're not supposed to enjoy it).

The slap isn't for being gushy, it's for apologising about it. Moments to treasure like that are all too rare so thanks for sharing :flower: made me feel all fluffy for oooh, a good two minutes.

Purple Sparkler
13th-July-2005, 03:24 PM

Awwwww. :hug: More congratulations. I DEMAND TO SEE PICTURES A.S.A.P. Yes, even though they're going to make me broody as anything (but that's not difficult- even walking past Next and seeing all the little tiny outfits in the window makes me broody).

bobgadjet
14th-July-2005, 12:42 AM
Good deed
Some years back, maybe 15 or so, I had to collect money from a customer.
At the time he was finding it hard to make ends meet, so I told him I would wait till he could pay me.
I waited well over 8 months or so, but he did make sure he settled his debt.
Over the following years thru hard work he is now a wealthy businessman.

Joyful moment
A few years ago that same man was instrumental in ensuring I was able to purchase the home I now have, after a costly divorce.
He didn't have to do it, but as he said "I felt I owed you a favour"

MORE Joyful moment
Unfortunately I don't see my only grandson very much, but later today, on my birthday no less, I will be getting a present money cannot buy.
There is a local "Alice in Wonderland" thingy for the under 5's (he has just turned 3) going on, and I am taking my grandson there, just the two of us.

Deep Joy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D