PDA

View Full Version : windows\system32 HELP

Lucy Locket
4th-July-2005, 01:32 PM
Can't open some programmes on my computer it comes up with this message

c:windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Can anyone help me please. Need to do my accounts but can't open the programme & haven't saved them :tears:

Northants Girly
4th-July-2005, 01:44 PM
Can't open some programmes on my computer it comes up with this message

c:windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Can anyone help me please. Need to do my accounts but can't open the programme & haven't saved them :tears:Try lookin here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767)

Good luck

:flower:

Lucy Locket
4th-July-2005, 02:27 PM
Try lookin here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767)

Good luck

:flower:

Thanks, have had a go but it's not working still, either that or i've done it wrong, very possible. It can't find the path names??

Robin
4th-July-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks, have had a go but it's not working still, either that or i've done it wrong, very possible. It can't find the path names??

Autoexec.nt is a sort of program startup file for older programs - how old is the program you are trying to run ?

It could also be that the file simply doesn't exist so you need to "expand" it from your original windows xp disks - or ask someone to email it to you !
hth

Lucy Locket
4th-July-2005, 07:24 PM
Autoexec.nt is a sort of program startup file for older programs - how old is the program you are trying to run ?

It could also be that the file simply doesn't exist so you need to "expand" it from your original windows xp disks - or ask someone to email it to you !
hth

Hi
It is an old programme, but i've been using it on this computer for ages, last used it a few weeks ago, so can't understand why it has suddenly stopped working.

El Salsero Gringo
4th-July-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi
It is an old programme, but i've been using it on this computer for ages, last used it a few weeks ago, so can't understand why it has suddenly stopped working.Have you downloaded or installed *any* new programs since the last time you used it?

Gadget
4th-July-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi
It is an old programme, but i've been using it on this computer for ages, last used it a few weeks ago, so can't understand why it has suddenly stopped working.
Probably messed up a shortcut somewhere:
You need to know the name of the application and/or the manufacturer (Eg Sage, Line50)
go to "My Computer", double click on "Local Disk ( C: )", double click on the folder "Program Files", find the folder that should contain the application you want (eg "Sage") and then find the program name with a ".exe" extrension (eg "line50.exe") {The '.exe' will only show if 'hide known extensions' is un-ticked from the view options under the 'view' menu}

If you can double click on this and it works, then simply use the right hand mouse button to drag it to the desktop and "create a shortcut here" (r-click and re-name it to something more intuative)

If you can't find it in the "program files" folder, the folder may just be in the root ( C: ).

If double clicking on the .exe dosn't work, then you probably need to set some variables for it to work properly: look for another file like "start" or with the same name as the EXE, except with a ".bat" extension. Try double clicking on this. {<- make sure you are in the correct folder - lots of programs use this name/method and you could re-install something by accident and loose some settings}

Lucy Locket
4th-July-2005, 09:28 PM
Have you downloaded or installed *any* new programs since the last time you used it?

Not that i can think of but windows automatically updates, would that have done anything?

Lucy Locket
4th-July-2005, 09:30 PM
You need to know the name of the application and/or the manufacturer (Eg Sage, Line50)
go to "My Computer", double click on "Local Disk ( C: )", double click on the folder "Program Files", find the folder that should contain the application you want (eg "Sage") and then find the program name with a ".exe" extrension (eg "line50.exe") {The '.exe' will only show if 'hide known extensions' is un-ticked from the view options under the 'view' menu}

If you can double click on this and it works, then simply use the right hand mouse button to drag it to the desktop and "create a shortcut here" (r-click and re-name it to something more intuative)

If you can't find it in the "program files" folder, the folder may just be in the root ( C: ).

If double clicking on the .exe dosn't work, then you probably need to set some variables for it to work properly: look for another file like "start" or with the same name as the EXE, except with a ".bat" extension. Try double clicking on this. {<- make sure you are in the correct folder - lots of programs use this name/method and you could re-install something by accident and loose some settings}

Will have to print that lot off & try. Got Line 50 but that's ok I've tried it. My personal stuff (which i can't open) is on Money Manager, software on diskettes.

Lucy Locket
4th-July-2005, 09:34 PM

All i can see are .DLL no .EXE nor .BAT extensions

Lucy Locket
4th-July-2005, 09:42 PM
put diskette in.
clicked on start
run
browsed a:
it shows setup, clicked on that & looked at its properties
it says in compatibility that you can set it to run in compatibilty mode for various windows i.e. 95 or 98 or 2000 or NT 4.0 (service pack 5).

I've had this running on NT for nearly a year. The NT windows option is : windows NT 4.0 (service pack5). How do i know what mode to run it in?

frodo
5th-July-2005, 12:41 AM
Hi

I've seen this something similar with autoexec.nt going corrupt with no obvious reason on a stable system.

The useful link posted by Northants Girly while correct seems very hard to read and follow and perhaps it doesn't need to be that complex.

If you try the following step below it might make it clearer what the problem still is ( please ignore it if it is obvious to you, or it is something you've already tried ).

If you go the "Run" dialog box by using the "Start Menu" or "Windows Key-R" and type exactly "notepad.exe %systemroot%\system32\autoexec.nt" ( without the quotes ) what do you see ?

Is it something like this (below), or do you get "Cannot Find File" or do you get lots of random text.

@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

Lucy Locket
5th-July-2005, 07:54 AM
apologies, running XP not NT, but did try & set is as windows 98 coz that's what i had on my last computer

Lucy Locket
5th-July-2005, 07:59 AM
I've seen this something similar with autoexec.nt going corrupt with no obvious reason on a stable system.

The useful link posted by Northants Girly while correct seems very hard to read and follow and perhaps it doesn't need to be that complex.

If you try the following step below it might make it clearer what the problem still is ( please ignore it if it is obvious to you, or it is something you've already tried ).

If you go the "Run" dialog box by using the "Start Menu" or "Windows Key-R" and type exactly "notepad.exe %systemroot%\system32\autoexec.nt" ( without the quotes ) what do you see ?

Is it something like this (below), or do you get "Cannot Find File" or do you get lots of random text.

@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

did the first bit you suggested and.........
cannot find the c:wimdows\systems32\autoexec.nt.file
do you want to create a new file (yes or no)
if you click on yes it comes up with a blank notepad page

Gadget
5th-July-2005, 08:39 AM
Yes: Copy the above (from @echo...) into it and save it.

Lucy Locket
5th-July-2005, 10:31 PM
tried just about everything & no joy. Even tried reloading the software & renaming it, but it won't load at all. Will have to take it in to be checked. Will let you know what happens.
Thank you for all your help.

:grin: :clap: :kiss:

Gadget
6th-July-2005, 12:31 AM
Is it coming up with any error messages?
If it's an old program, you may have to run it in a "DOS shell":
R-click on the EXE, and go into "Properties". On the 'program' tab, click 'advanced...' and tic "MSDOS Mode"

If there is an error message about memory, then there are some tweaks on the "properties" that can be done to get it to work.

{Some arcane lore...
Start:run and type in "command" - this will bring up a black window with a flashing cursor and a prompt saying somthing like "c:\windows\desktop>_"
You want to navigate to the correct directory;
- Use "cd .." to go back a level {this would change the cursor to "c:\windows>_"
- Use "cd dirname" to go forward one. {this would change the cursor to "c:\windows\dirname>_"
- Use "dir *. /w/p" to list all directory folders that can be used with the "cd" command above {/w=wide /p=page pause}
- Use "dir *.exe /w/p" to see a list of all the .exe files in that directory.

To run the exe, simply type in it's name - eg "HACK" will open/run HACK.EXE
- (The tilda [~ beside the enter key] is used to shorten windows names over 8 chars and those with spaces/nonstandard chars, but if it's an old program, the file names should be <= 8 char long. If you omit the "/w" from the dir command, you will see the 'long filename' as well as the shortened one)
- Type in "Exit" to close the command window}

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 09:01 AM
R-click on the EXE, and go into "Properties". On the 'program' tab, click 'advanced...' and tic "MSDOS Mode"

If there is an error message about memory, then there are some tweaks on the "properties" that can be done to get it to work.

{Some arcane lore...
Start:run and type in "command" - this will bring up a black window with a flashing cursor and a prompt saying somthing like "c:\windows\desktop>_"
- Use "cd .." to go back a level {this would change the cursor to "c:\windows>_"
- Use "cd dirname" to go forward one. {this would change the cursor to "c:\windows\dirname>_"
- Use "dir *. /w/p" to list all directory folders that can be used with the "cd" command above {/w=wide /p=page pause}

- (The tilda [~ beside the enter key] is used to shorten windows names over 8 chars and those with spaces/nonstandard chars, but if it's an old program, the file names should be <= 8 char long. If you omit the "/w" from the dir command, you will see the 'long filename' as well as the shortened one)

it says it's not suitable for MS Dos or windows, cannot understand what's happening

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 09:02 AM

{Some arcane lore...

just done
start
run
command
enter

and it says command.com not suitable for MS Dos or Windows

Gadget
6th-July-2005, 09:09 AM
:confused:
Got any anti-virus software installed (up-to-date anti-virus that is)?

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 09:10 AM
:confused:
Got any anti-virus software installed (up-to-date anti-virus that is)?

norton anti virus & norton firewall, both been on there since i had the computer. They do run automatically. I'll run them now check if they find anything.

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 09:13 AM
just scanned the floppy with the programme & it's ok. the only file on there is setup.exe.

started a scan on computer.

no anti virus updates to apply.

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 09:44 AM
Computer scanned for virus & nothing to report

David Franklin
6th-July-2005, 09:48 AM
In the Start Menu, under Accessories, do you have an entry Command Prompt? And does it work? (You should end up with the black window Gadget described).

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 09:57 AM
In the Start Menu, under Accessories, do you have an entry Command Prompt? And does it work? (You should end up with the black window Gadget described).

yes found it

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 10:01 AM
in the black box it says
c:\documents and settings
tried typing cd & it shows the same, tried typing
c:\windows
and it comes up with c:\windows is not recognized as an internal or external command

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 10:03 AM
yes found it

in the black box it says
c:\documents and settings
tried typing cd & it shows the same, tried typing
c:\windows
and it comes up with c:\windows is not recognized as an internal or external command

David Franklin
6th-July-2005, 10:36 AM
OK, to get to your windows directory, you need to type cd \windows. To be honest, I'm not exactly clear what you're supposed to do once you get there, so perhaps Gadget can add to this.

[The good news is that you can open a command window. The fact that didn't seem to be working is what had Gadget (and me) immediately thinking "Oh s**t - sounds like a virus"]

If Gadget doesn't respond, my next suggestion is:

type:

cd \windows\system32
dir *.nt

Ignore the first bit of the output, but you should get some lines looking like:

04/08/2004 11:00 1,688 AUTOEXEC.NT
01/01/2005 09:58 2,577 CONFIG.NT

Let us know exactly what those lines say, or if they don't appear.

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 10:46 AM
OK, to get to your windows directory, you need to type cd \windows. To be honest, I'm not exactly clear what you're supposed to do once you get there, so perhaps Gadget can add to this.

[The good news is that you can open a command window. The fact that didn't seem to be working is what had Gadget (and me) immediately thinking "Oh s**t - sounds like a virus"]

If Gadget doesn't respond, my next suggestion is:

type:

cd \windows\system32
dir *.nt

Ignore the first bit of the output, but you should get some lines looking like:

04/08/2004 11:00 1,688 AUTOEXEC.NT
01/01/2005 09:58 2,577 CONFIG.NT

Let us know exactly what those lines say, or if they don't appear.

dir*.nt is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file

David Franklin
6th-July-2005, 10:50 AM
dir*.nt is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch fileYou need a space between dir and *.nt (you are now discovering why some of us are more pedantic about punctuation than others...)

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 11:03 AM
You need a space between dir and *.nt (you are now discovering why some of us are more pedantic about punctuation than others...)

autoexec nil
config 2577

David Franklin
6th-July-2005, 11:10 AM
OK - my guess is you need a replacement autoexec.nt file. I would really like (hint hint!) someone else with a bit more experience to suggest the best way of doing this - my suggestion would be someone uploads theirs as an attachment, and we then have to work out the simplest way to describe how you replace it, but someone may have a better plan. I also don't know how readily transferable the autoexec.nt file is (i.e. will my one work on your machine).

N.B. With all due respect - I don't think asking you to enter the new autoexec.nt by hand is going to work; I'd be wary about doing it, and I am both an accurate typist and understand enough about the commands to know where spaces are/aren't required etc.

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 11:14 AM
OK - my guess is you need a replacement autoexec.nt file. I would really like (hint hint!) someone else with a bit more experience to suggest the best way of doing this - my suggestion would be someone uploads theirs as an attachment, and we then have to work out the simplest way to describe how you replace it, but someone may have a better plan. I also don't know how readily transferable the autoexec.nt file is (i.e. will my one work on your machine).

N.B. With all due respect - I don't think asking you to enter the new autoexec.nt by hand is going to work; I'd be wary about doing it, and I am both an accurate typist and understand enough about the commands to know where spaces are/aren't required etc.

Thank you so much for your help. It is much appreciated. I guess i need 'the professionals' as you suggest. I understand doing it wrong could corrupt everything on my computer.

You have all been amazing, thank you x

David Franklin
6th-July-2005, 11:39 AM
A bit of googling came up with a likely solution, so have been on the 'phone to Lucy Locket and we've got this sorted.

If it helps anyone, and for future reference, apparently under XP there's a backup copy of autoexec.nt in c:\windows\repair, so all my worries about uploading a copy etc. weren't needed. We just copied it over to c:\windows\system32 and all seems to be well.

Lucy Locket
6th-July-2005, 12:13 PM
A bit of googling came up with a likely solution, so have been on the 'phone to Lucy Locket and we've got this sorted.

If it helps anyone, and for future reference, apparently under XP there's a backup copy of autoexec.nt in c:\windows\repair, so all my worries about uploading a copy etc. weren't needed. We just copied it over to c:\windows\system32 and all seems to be well.

David, thank you so much you are a star :flower: :clap: I owe you :cheers: when we meet.

All is working again. I've written down what to do, just in case.

David you can be my superhero!!!! :wink:

Thank you everyone for all your help.

x x x :flower: :cheers:

David Franklin
6th-July-2005, 12:17 PM
David you can be my superhero!!!! :wink: :blush:

[Hmmm... that smiley doesn't quite look like I planned. It was supposed to be an "Aw shucks - it was nothing" blush, but it looks more like a "I'm sorry I reformatted your hard disk" blush :rofl: ]

Anyway, glad you're up and running now....