PDA

View Full Version : Ban Stilleto Heels

Minnie M
3rd-July-2005, 01:16 PM
At Hipsters last Friday I once again got spiked in the foot by a dancer with normal shoes that have stilleto heels, lucky this time my shoe got the worst of it. However, I have often come home bleeding by one of these accidents and a once was sent flying (not a pretty site) because the the heel got caught in my shoe whilst I was turning.

Some ladies dance shoes have slim heels, but never that slim to do major damage. In the old days (nah nah nah, nah naaaaah violins etc.) when I were a wee nipper teenager, they banned shoes with these types of heels as they damaged the dance floor

Lucy Locket
3rd-July-2005, 02:37 PM
You'll love this. Wore my dance sandals (proper ones) and trod on my own big toe. Boy did it bleed. Couldn't wear closed toe shoes for weeks.

DianaS
3rd-July-2005, 02:42 PM
I agree I was spiked three times last night and had scrapes down my foot
They are hideous, deforming and make women look like badly balanced drunks (often) with very poor posture. Wear them to make an entrance then change to dance.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
3rd-July-2005, 02:57 PM
At Hipsters last Friday I once again got spiked in the foot by a dancer with normal shoes that have stilleto heels, lucky this time my shoe got the worst of it. However, I have often come home bleeding by one of these accidents and a once was sent flying (not a pretty site) because the the heel got caught in my shoe whilst I was turning.

Some ladies dance shoes have slim heels, but never that slim to do major damage. In the old days (nah nah nah, nah naaaaah violins etc.) when I were a wee nipper teenager, they banned shoes with these types of heels as they damaged the dance floor

Oh Minnie your poor toes :tears: that's awful-damn heels! :mad: I've never wore stilettos myself and i've never been stood on by someone who did, but if they did i'd be very mad! Hope you, and Diana and Lucy are all recovering :flower:

Ash x (A now stilletos at MJ hating forumite)

David Bailey
3rd-July-2005, 03:01 PM
Wear them to make an entrance then change to dance.
So, you're advocating:
- 1 pair of shoes to travel to the venue?
- 1 pair to change into, to walk into the venue?
- and 1 pair to dance with?

Have I got that right? :what:

3 pairs of shoes, just to go dancing?!? :eek: :eek:

:innocent:

DianaS
3rd-July-2005, 03:21 PM
So, you're advocating:

Hmmm last night I took 2 pairs I wore my low shoes to drive and high shoes to make an entrance then low shoes to dance and go home...
had I have thought of taking a third pair I probably would...
Thanks! :flower:

LMC
3rd-July-2005, 03:35 PM
I've only ever been to one venue where stilettos have been banned, and that was a salsa one. Surprising really, because as Minnie has said, they must damage floors.

I had someone put a stiletto through my big toe a few weeks ago - the nail is still split :( - sympathies :flower: :hug: .

Tiggerbabe
3rd-July-2005, 04:13 PM

Totally ridiculous! - I always have at least 4 pairs in my bag :whistle: (and I'm not joking).

Seriously, though, the worst injury I got was from the heel of a man's shoe - he stood back, his foot coming quite high off the floor, and scraped the (very hard) heel of his shoe down the front of my shin and then stood on the arch of my foot just to add insult to the whole thing. :tears:

Lucy Locket
3rd-July-2005, 05:26 PM
So, you're advocating:

Wrong !!! 6 pairs !! 4th pair different soled shoes for dancing in, (plus dance trainers) depending on what the floor's like one may need to change. 5th pair to walk out of the venue, 6th pair to travel home. Can't be seen wearing the same pair twice in an evening. :rofl: So potentially 7 pairs.

Lucy Locket
3rd-July-2005, 05:30 PM
Totally ridiculous! - I always have at least 4 pairs in my bag :whistle: (and I'm not joking).

Seriously, though, the worst injury I got was from the heel of a man's shoe - he stood back, his foot coming quite high off the floor, and scraped the (very hard) heel of his shoe down the front of my shin and then stood on the arch of my foot just to add insult to the whole thing. :tears:

Did you get your own back ???

Minnie M
3rd-July-2005, 05:44 PM
This should be another thread along with a couple of posts above - I have about a dozen pairs of dance shoes (possible more) I take about 5 pairs with me when going on a dance weekend + street sandles plus one or two street normal shoes

I have about a 10 pairs of shoes and boots in my wardrobe with stilleto heels but haven't worn them for years. Dancing has killed my shoe fashion sense as it is the greater part of my social life. I wear comfortable casual shoes for work and seeing family and muggle friends.

Lynn
3rd-July-2005, 06:26 PM
I prefer to dance in heeled shoes - but they are dance shoes so although they have a slim heel, they are not stillettos. (Maybe I like the extra height they give me!) I now see how crowded it is and don't wear my open toe ones if it is crowded - just in case.

But if you have ever been stood on by a horse*, you will know that its not just stillettos that can be painful! (Horses tend to avoid standing on your foot, but when they do, they aren't in any hurry to move - ouch!)

*I'm not saying that I have actually met any horses when dancing. Though I suppose they would be easy to lead...

David Bailey
3rd-July-2005, 07:02 PM
Wrong !!! 6 pairs !! 4th pair different soled shoes for dancing in, (plus dance trainers) depending on what the floor's like one may need to change. 5th pair to walk out of the venue, 6th pair to travel home. Can't be seen wearing the same pair twice in an evening. :rofl: So potentially 7 pairs.
You know that we never look at shoes, right? I only realised ZW had zebra shoes on Friday, and she's been wearing them for a year now...

Also, can we have a Shoe Fetish Area set up please?

ElaineB
3rd-July-2005, 08:19 PM
I prefer to dance in heeled shoes - but they are dance shoes so although they have a slim heel, they are not stillettos. (Maybe I like the extra height they give me!) I now see how crowded it is and don't wear my open toe ones if it is crowded - just in case.

But if you have ever been stood on by a horse*, you will know that its not just stillettos that can be painful! (Horses tend to avoid standing on your foot, but when they do, they aren't in any hurry to move - ouch!)

*I'm not saying that I have actually met any horses when dancing. Though I suppose they would be easy to lead...

Me too - 2 and 1/2 inch high heels, made by Heavenly Dance Shoes, but they are not stillettos (and the horse bit - ouch!)

Worst dance injury to my foot was a man also - stood on it and then rotated on it!!! Followed that by dancing me into a stone piller! :angry: Lost my toe nail completely a couple of months later!

Elaine

Minnie M
3rd-July-2005, 08:40 PM
IMO the stilletto (two Ts this time :whistle: ) wearers are newbies, not only are they a danger to others (and the floors) you are more likely to be unstable on your feet dancing in them, therefore a danger to yourself, that's why they should be banned

Sexy dance shoes (like those from Heavenly Shoes) are a must, we all must have a pair :clap: or dance shoes with a decent heel, but these ARE dance shoes so although could hurt someone, the damage to others and the floors is minimal compared with stillettos. BTW I agree being trod on by a size 10+ could be as painful, but IMO the better of the two evils :what:

Cruella
3rd-July-2005, 08:44 PM
I agree I was spiked three times last night and had scrapes down my foot
They are hideous, deforming and make women look like badly balanced drunks (often) with very poor posture. Wear them to make an entrance then change to dance.
I was at the same venue and have a swollen, bruised shin where a lady (although didn't call her that at the time of impact) managed to scrape her stilleto down my leg. :tears: It hurt enough to stop me dancing for a short time, usually i dance through pain, but not this time. :sick: My exact words were ''they should ban stilletos'' So Minnie you read my mind.
I guess though as we were at a ball with the women all lookin lovely in their posh frocks, trainers wouldn't have looked quite as glamourous :rolleyes:

Lucy Locket
3rd-July-2005, 08:47 PM
Me too - 2 and 1/2 inch high heels, made by Heavenly Dance Shoes, but they are not stillettos (and the horse bit - ouch!)

Worst dance injury to my foot was a man also - stood on it and then rotated on it!!! Followed that by dancing me into a stone piller! :angry: Lost my toe nail completely a couple of months later!

Elaine

BIG OUCH !!!! Did your knee jerk up (accidentally) with the pain

drathzel
3rd-July-2005, 08:51 PM

We were at a party (non ceroc altho we ended up dancing) and were discussing this! And we all agree with you! Spanish Dance heels are fine butnot proper stillettos :flower:

DianaS
30th-August-2005, 02:09 PM
ever wondered... what being caught by someone's stilletto looks like in the morning?...
One lovely lady elegantly dancing, was span around in an ariel, the dance floor was about 3 meters and only had them and us and her heel caught the back of my calf.
The result a big scrape and bruise sustained even through the trousers I was wearing. The image is now online as my profile picture!- gross.

The guy I was dancing with, had had a 8 stone woman tread on his foot wearing a stilletto. It took over 3 months to heal.

Donna
30th-August-2005, 02:34 PM
The result a big scrape and bruise sustained even through the trousers I was wearing. The image is now online as my profile picture!- gross.

That does look terrible!!! You know that first second my eyes turned to look at that picture I thought it was a bum, with a badly bruised cheek!! :rofl:

I HATE STILETTOS!!!!! :angry: Before I was due to do the semi-final at the ceroc champs...some woman ran her heels right down my ankle and it wasn't right for a couple of months after that. How I still managed to carry on dancing after I'll never know!!!!

dee
30th-August-2005, 02:50 PM
So, you're advocating:

Thats what i do everyime i come dancing, i also leave my trainers in the car incase i break down on either journey (there or back to the venue) would be awful stuck on the A41 with a pair or pretty dance shoes :grin:

DianaS
30th-August-2005, 03:00 PM
That does look terrible!!! You know that first second my eyes turned to look at that picture I thought it was a bum, with a badly bruised cheek!! :rofl:

I HATE STILETTOS!!!!! :angry: Before I was due to do the semi-final at the ceroc champs...some woman ran her heels right down my ankle and it wasn't right for a couple of months after that. How I still managed to carry on dancing after I'll never know!!!!
Its not my bum! honest its my calf :rofl:
If I get one on my bum I'll Pm it you :flower:
Just glad she didn't stand on my foot. The idea of all that weight coursing down to a 1 cm spike sends chivers down my spine :sick:

Anna
31st-August-2005, 05:07 AM
So, you're advocating:

Well actually, 3 or 4..

Bunny slippers to travel to the venue (still love getting out of the car at petrol stations etc wearing them, gives everyone a real shock :D )

Then nice Manolo looking stilettos to walk into the venue in.. :devil:

Then a quick change into latin sandals.. with sometimes a spair pair of shoes (my old favourites) if the new ones are giving me grief..

and then its a quick change back into the stilettos to walk to the car.. (agony)

and then into the bunny slippers for my dying feet.

I would have to say the bunny slippers win hands down out of the whole lot :D

And funny enough, the worst stiletto/heel of a shoe related injuries I've received have been self inflicted :blush: On some nights I simply cannot help standing all over my own feet.. actually, i think i've even managed to trip myself up before..

Anna
31st-August-2005, 05:19 AM
Just remembered something I learnt in Science last year..

*Pushes up her nerd classes and snorts loudly* Ahem..

Using the theories to do with pressure...

a 60kg woman wearing a stiletto heel of 1cm2 is putting 6,000,000 Newtons of pressure onto the floor.

and THAT is why it hurts so much when the careless ***** stands on your foot!! :rofl:

DianaS
31st-August-2005, 09:25 AM

a 60kg woman wearing a stiletto heel of 1cm2 is putting 6,000,000 Newtons of pressure onto the floor.

and THAT is why it hurts so much when the careless ***** stands on your foot!! :rofl:
:worthy:
So wearing stillettos may be as damage-causing as carrying and using a weapon. No wonder the guys foot took 3 months to heal :really:

El Salsero Gringo
31st-August-2005, 10:17 AM

and THAT is why it hurts so much when the careless ***** stands on your foot!! :rofl:I think you mean a pressure of 6 000 000 newtons per square metre.

Purple Sparkler
31st-August-2005, 10:58 AM
I know someone whose foot was pinned to the floor by a woman's stilletto- it went through his shoe, cut the skin between his toes, and then through the sole of his shoe. He couldn't move, and she didn't realise straight away what had happened. Ouchy!

I've also had evenings where I was stood on twice in the same part of my foot by stilletto heels and boy did it bruise!

My dance shoes have quite slim heels but are not stillettos- however I still do my best to be a careful and considerate dancer and not step on anyone!

El Salsero Gringo
31st-August-2005, 11:02 AM
some of us have normally to pay a lot of money to be stepped on with stiletto heels, and I think it's very unfair of you to want to take away that pleasure.

Tessalicious
31st-August-2005, 11:24 AM
I love the way everyone complains about stilettos like they're the only kind of shoes that can inflict pain - on the two occasions I've been seriously painfully stepped on, the offending shoes were Blochs the first time and Cuban heels the second. So the problem is not with the shoe but with the wearer - someone in stilettos who is considerate of the people around her is much less dangerous than someone in dance trainers or hard-soled flat shoes who thinks 'Oh well, my shoes can't hurt anyone, so I can step on whomever I like'.

David Bailey
31st-August-2005, 11:28 AM
So the problem is not with the shoe but with the wearer - someone in stilettos who is considerate of the people around her is much less dangerous than someone in dance trainers or hard-soled flat shoes who thinks 'Oh well, my shoes can't hurt anyone, so I can step on whomever I like'.
So you're saying "Stilettos don't hurt people, people hurt people"? :whistle:

I suspect the trouble is more that people who wear stilettos often tend not to be people who are experienced dancers, so maybe the answer is to ban anyone not wearing good shoes :)

Oops, that's me banned then...

Sparkles
31st-August-2005, 11:35 AM
I used to wear stilettos all the time, but I found that the crowded dancefloors at MJ venues meant that if I should, perchance, happen to step on someone I was more likely to inflict a lot of damage with my heels (just for the record I never actually inflicted any serious damage on anyone). I now always wear character shoes with shorter, leather, cuban heels - not because I can't handle stilettoes or that I'm dangerous in them, just because I would rather cause less damage than more in the event of an unavoidable accident. :flower:

S. x

Lou
31st-August-2005, 12:01 PM
I suspect the trouble is more that people who wear stilettos often tend not to be people who are experienced dancers, so maybe the answer is to ban anyone not wearing good shoes :)
Ooooh! Ooooh! I volunteer to be the shoe judge & bouncer. :D

Hmmm... if your shoes're no good, you're not coming in.... :waycool:

JoC
31st-August-2005, 12:57 PM
So you're saying "Stilettos don't hurt people, people hurt people"? :whistle:

Oops, that's me banned then...You wear stilettos dancing then?

Donna
31st-August-2005, 01:02 PM
Its not my bum! honest its my calf :rofl:
If I get one on my bum I'll Pm it you :flower:

Well thanks very much Diana...that's so kind of you! :what: :rofl: :flower:

Just glad she didn't stand on my foot. The idea of all that weight coursing down to a 1 cm spike sends chivers down my spine :sick:[/QUOTE]

Mine too!! oooeeeerrrr....... :eek:

MartinHarper
31st-August-2005, 01:37 PM
I think you mean a pressure of 6 000 000 newtons per square metre.

True that.
This would be whilst doing heel spins in stillettos, I guess. Otherwise, it's normal to take some weight on the ball of the foot.

(oh, and if you can do heel spins in stillettos, consider me appropriately awed...)

Donna
31st-August-2005, 05:02 PM
True that.
This would be whilst doing heel spins in stillettos, I guess. Otherwise, it's normal to take some weight on the ball of the foot.

(oh, and if you can do heel spins in stillettos, consider me appropriately awed...)

And anyone who can do heel spins in stillettos in a competition.....well, deserves to win!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :rofl:

Dazzle
31st-August-2005, 11:14 PM
And anyone who can do heel spins in stillettos in a competition.....well, deserves to win!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :rofl:

Stop it already picking on me again! It's only on Sundays!!! :wink:

I have to say this kind of heel cause so much damage. When teaching this I week I noticed that whoever else had used the venue since I last taught there had worn stilleto heels with metal heel tips on the stage. The wooden flower was peppered with heel marks and it won't be long before the floor ends up in the state it was in before it was replaced! No doubt we will get the blame for that too! If they will use soft wood :sick: !

Anna
1st-September-2005, 12:10 AM
I think you mean a pressure of 6 000 000 newtons per square metre.

Nope my science teacher taught it to us with the reference to a stiletto heel so it must be that. :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-September-2005, 08:54 AM
Nope my science teacher taught it to us with the reference to a stiletto heel so it must be that. :whistle:I was just pointing out that pressure is measured in pascals (abbrev. Pa) or equivalently newtons per square metre. I think your nerdy glasses had slipped for a second.

Donna
1st-September-2005, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Dazzle]Stop it already picking on me again! It's only on Sundays!!! :wink:

:rofl: Oooh you still wearing them then? Good lad!!! :rofl:

I have to say this kind of heel cause so much damage.

:yeah:

The wooden flower was peppered with heel marks

Wooden FLOWER???? :confused: Bleeessss. :rofl:

Just have to share this. Me and Steve went down south to a friends wedding, and the reception was held near a top golf course where all the popular golf players go - televised etc (forgot the name of it now but it's very well know. Not being ignorant....just can't stand golf that's all :D )

Anyway moving on...we decided to go for a walk and I walked over part of the golf course and next minute OH MY GOODNESS....QUICK GET OFF THERE NOW!!! :what: I looked back and oops, there were loads of holes left in the grass...all because of me and my stupid high heeled shoes!!!! :tears: At least the next time it's televised and I see those holes I can say...' Hey! I did that!!!! :rofl:

Lee
1st-September-2005, 03:59 PM
I think the issue is not what footwear you wear, it's about spatial awareness of the leader, ensuring the both the leader and the follower do not step on anybody.

Every time i am about to step back or lead the lady into an area i glance across to ensure there will be no clash of dancers.....

Occasionally, you will get two people moving into the same spot, but then you just stop.

Lee

MartinHarper
1st-September-2005, 05:03 PM
It's about spatial awareness of the leader

This takes time to learn. Whilst leaders are learning this, they will make mistakes. These mistakes are less painful if people don't wear spiky clothes.

It's also about spatial awareness of the follower.

spindr
1st-September-2005, 05:40 PM
It's also about spatial awareness of the follower.
:yeah:
There's nothing I can lead to directly stop a follower doing a ronde while wearing stilettos on a crowded dance floor (uggghhhh!).

I do sometimes suggest "Small steps tonight, 'cause it's crowded" -- if the lady in question is covering a tad more ground than I feel is safe.

SpinDr.

Purple Sparkler
1st-September-2005, 05:46 PM
some of us have normally to pay a lot of money to be stepped on with stiletto heels

Exactly! I was getting into terrible trouble for undercutting business, and being chased by pimps is SCARY (I've started flinching whenever I see a fake rolex or hear the jangle of a collection of gold chains)

Lee
1st-September-2005, 06:41 PM
I do sometimes suggest "Small steps tonight, 'cause it's crowded" -- if the lady in question is covering a tad more ground than I feel is safe.

SpinDr.

Good point, I get that a lot (ladies taking large steps) and have never thought about advising the lady to 'calm down a bit', only last night i advised a someone to loosen up (her arms) and it made the dance much better. :clap:

I just don't want to come across too bosy. :blush:

YES - BAN STILLETOs :cheers:

Lee