PDA

View Full Version : VAT - Poll - should the law force companies to quote with or without VAT?

Robin
1st-July-2005, 03:05 PM
[Grumble Mode On]
Running a business myself, I quote all my business customers a price + VAT as most of them are registered for VAT. If I do work for a private client I calculate the VAT for them and include it in my quote.

I find it really annoying that lots of websites and shops and tradesmen who deal mainly with non-VAT registered individuals always quote prices excluding VAT.
[Grumble Mode Off]

El Salsero Gringo
1st-July-2005, 03:14 PM
[Grumble Mode On]
Running a business myself, I quote all my business customers a price + VAT as most of them are registered for VAT. If I do work for a private client I calculate the VAT for them and include it in my quote.

I find it really annoying that lots of websites and shops and tradesmen who deal mainly with non-VAT registered individuals always quote prices excluding VAT.
[Grumble Mode Off]Not only does it make the charges sound lower, but from the trader's point of view it gives a fairer impression of what he's charging for the job/item.

Robin
1st-July-2005, 03:22 PM
Not only does it make the charges sound lower, but from the trader's point of view it gives a fairer impression of what he's charging for the job/item.

But my point is that VAT is a tax that you must charge on the goods you sell and everyone knows this - if you quote a VAT inclusive price its exactly what it means. The only possible reason for quoting exclusive prices ro non-vat registered people is to make the item appear cheaper!

Maybe I should have called this the VAT rant at the retailer thread !

philsmove
1st-July-2005, 03:37 PM
Hate having to do things by law

Why not quote both

As this company does

http://uk.insight.com/index.php

ducasi
1st-July-2005, 05:58 PM
I believe that consumer law says they must, and that it must be more prominent than the ex. price if that is also given.

So, if a company isn't doing this, it means either that they aren't mainly trading with the public, or else they're asking to get their knuckles rapped.