PDA

View Full Version : International White Band Day!

JoC
1st-July-2005, 09:29 AM
For those that didn't know and are interested... it's International White Band Day today!

This is a day all about supporting Make Poverty History (by wearing a white band!), for more info. see www.oxfam.co.uk

I expect you can buy a white band at lots and lots of places, but for sure, that I know of, Bodyshop and Oxfam.

It's only a little thing but so easy to do and you never know, it might just make a big difference.

Happy White Band Day! :)

JoC
4th-July-2005, 01:57 PM
I was expecting some grief for this, where are the ubercynics when I try to taunt them with idealism?

LMC
4th-July-2005, 02:07 PM
The charity I manage does a lot of work in Ethiopia. I have regular meetings at the Embassy and have even met PM Meles Zenawi - so I get to hear quite a lot of the "back story".

Even so, I just don't even "go there" these days, I haven't got the energy. Nor have I got a white band, nor do I intend to purchase one.

But if it makes you feel good, do it.

Lee
4th-July-2005, 02:10 PM
I got a black band when i went to see 'Batman Begins' does this cancel my white band if worn together? :rofl:

Lee :wink:

David Franklin
4th-July-2005, 02:14 PM
I was expecting some grief for this, where are the ubercynics when I try to taunt them with idealism?As you ask: the funny thing is, when I saw the thread title, I genuinely thought this was going to be an attack on Live8. Something along the lines of the developed world's answer to poverty in Africa being a load of "white bands" playing concerts to raise awareness in Africa, with, of course, any raising of the artists' profiles being entirely accidental.

David Bailey
4th-July-2005, 03:34 PM
As you ask: the funny thing is, when I saw the thread title, I genuinely thought this was going to be an attack on Live8. Something along the lines of the developed world's answer to poverty in Africa being a load of "white bands" playing concerts to raise awareness in Africa, with, of course, any raising of the artists' profiles being entirely accidental.
Hey, that's exactly what I thought too...! Spooky.

OK, requested cynicism, what flavour does madam require? Anti-Aid? Anti-popstars? Anti-band?

I'll go for the latter - I cannot for the life of me remember what band means what, and (and this is the Important Point) I keep catching my hands on the darned things when I'm sliding my hand down a lady's arm when dancing :mad:

JoC
4th-July-2005, 05:40 PM
As you ask: the funny thing is, when I saw the thread title, I genuinely thought this was going to be an attack on Live8. Something along the lines of the developed world's answer to poverty in Africa being a load of "white bands" playing concerts to raise awareness in Africa, with, of course, any raising of the artists' profiles being entirely accidental.
Took me absolutely ages to realise what you meant there!!! You don't know me for the sweetness and light I am. :innocent: Me??? Attack??? Actually I like that idea.

I haven't followed the development of the band craze, but I did one day buy a white one, then Oxfam sent me another, and I discovered the existence of White Band Day. Just thought I'd post because lots of people probably have them but didn't know there was a 'day' for it, just in case they were interested. Not sure it was a hit...

As for the bands themselves, I do have images of landfills stuffed to overflowing with little multicoloured rubber wrist bands, trying to think how I can recycle mine...maybe as 'sleeve-holder-uppers' whilst trying to dance with particularly long floppy sleeves? Like wot the banker in a western would wear, or is that the barman, or maybe the bookie?

I am now going dancing, thankyou all, idealistic hugs be bestowed upon all my fellow forumites :hug: , peace, health and harmony

small chime of finger cymbals...ching....ching...

under par
5th-July-2005, 03:26 AM
I was expecting some grief for this, where are the ubercynics when I try to taunt them with idealism?

A scientific study has projected that our progeny of 2020 and 2030 will have arms at least 7 inches longer than ours to accompany the increase in coloured bands attached to them.

JoC does that help?

azande
5th-July-2005, 08:14 AM
Have a look at this article (http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=449&id=733072005) in the Scotsman.

David Franklin
5th-July-2005, 10:00 AM
"white bands" playing concerts to raise awareness in Africa, with, of course, any raising of the artists' profiles being entirely accidental.For what it's worth, here are the figures:

From uk.music.charts: Sales - The Live 8 effect (http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.music.charts/browse_frm/thread/9eb07e8fd4ae3be7/81fac5af5273f0a8?q=1343+%22Pink+Floyd%22&rnum=6#81fac5af5273f0a8)

Sales increase at HMV between Sunday June 26 and Sunday July 3:

1 Pink Floyd - Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd : 1343%
2 The Who - Then and Now : 863%
3 Annie Lennox - Eurythmics Greatest Hits : 500%
4 Dido - Life For Rent : 412%
5 Razorlight - Up All Night : 335%
6 Robbie Williams - Greatest Hits : 320%
7 Joss Stone - Mind, Body and Soul : 309%
8 Sting - The Very Best of Sting & The Police : 300%
9 Travis - Singles : 268%
10 Madonna - Immaculate Collection : 200%
11 Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters : 174%
12 Mariah Carey - Greatest Hits : 170%
13 Snoop Dogg - Rhythm & Gangsta : 166%
14 The Killers - Hot Fuss : 131%
15 U2 - Best of: 1990-2000 : 116%
16 Elton John - Greatest Hits: 1970-2002 : 111%
17 Keane - Hopes and Fears : 101%
18 The Beatles - 1 : 71%
19 Snow Patrol - Final Straw : 69%
20 REM - Reveal : 50%
21 Stereophonics - Language Sex Violence Other? : 36%
22 Coldplay - X&Y : 3%
23 The Libertines - Up The Bracket - : (minus) 35%

JoC
5th-July-2005, 12:45 PM
A scientific study has projected that our progeny of 2020 and 2030 will have arms at least 7 inches longer than ours to accompany the increase in coloured bands attached to them.

JoC does that help?
I feel much much better now thankyou. :flower:

under par
5th-July-2005, 12:49 PM
I feel much much better now thankyou. :flower:

No please, it was my pleasure. :wink:

JoC
5th-July-2005, 12:50 PM
Have a look at this article (http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=449&id=733072005) in the Scotsman.
I think that definitely meets my needs.

Well you need a little balance don't you? :)

clevedonboy
5th-July-2005, 01:05 PM
I love stats when they're manipulated like this - a 1000% rise in sales of Echoes probably represents an increase in sales measurable in hundreds of albums. Of course the flip side is Coldplay's album - 3% increase in sales represents 1000s of sales

azande
8th-July-2005, 08:13 PM
I just happened to find this (http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/07/11/AfriFood) article. I think it makes an interesting read.