PDA

View Full Version : Live8 or Dancing?

Andy McGregor
30th-June-2005, 06:25 PM
With a predicted 85% of the population watching Live8 I'm sure this is of interest to those of us who have a dance on Saturday 2nd JulyBig Beach Ball followed by Barbie on the Beach, King Alfred Ballroom, Hove.

Who's going to Live8?
Who's not dancing and watching it on T.V.?
Who's going to a dance

Minnie M
30th-June-2005, 06:40 PM
What's wrong with the video :whistle:

Yliander
1st-July-2005, 09:21 AM
Who's going to Live8? what is live8?

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 09:31 AM
what is live8?
:what: Amazed the hype has missed anyone on the globe - link here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4597363.stm).

Purple Sparkler
1st-July-2005, 09:33 AM
You didn't include a neither option!

My housemates always commandeer the TV on Saturday evening, and as I have no car *sad* there's nowhere I can reasonably get to to GO dancing. So I shall probably be watching films.

Gojive
1st-July-2005, 09:55 AM
No contest for me....dancing! (Woking if anyone wants to say hello :wink:)

Lou
1st-July-2005, 10:45 AM
Sorry guys. I can't really get enthusiastic about Live8. Of course, the sentiment is a very worthy one. And hurrah for St Bob for once more getting off his behind to try to do something about it. :clap: But.... meh! The line-up? :yawn: Maybe I'm an old cynic, but I can't really see it making a difference.

I liked this music reviewer's take on it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4637801.stm

BobbyA
1st-July-2005, 11:01 AM
Lol What about both! heheheh Live8 starts at 2 in the afternoon.. pleanty of time to see the acts then do a freestyle :P

however I won't have a decent place to go. Cant really afford to stay 2 nights in London. Freestyle for me Tonight and Live8 Tommorow, then home time :(

I should get going soon. Need to get my brother to slough for 4 oclock.

clevedonboy
1st-July-2005, 11:23 AM
Dancin' tonite Live8 will be on in the house tomorrow afternoon but it's tempting to go to the cinema in the evening workshop on Sunday

CJ
1st-July-2005, 11:45 AM
Have no idea what I'm doing Saturday, and an impending arrival may make my decision for me.

However, am attending Live8 in Edin on 6th. (all going well!!!) The line up is fairly pants ish but the thought of The Proclaimers doing 500 Miles to 50,000 people in Murrayfield Stadium is just mental.

Love them or loathe them. Love or hate the song. However, you just know that'll be THE party moment of the whole gig. :D :D :D :D :D

LMC
1st-July-2005, 12:02 PM
Watford for me.

I NEEEEEED endorphins!

Stuart
1st-July-2005, 12:54 PM
Dancing for me as well.

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry guys. I can't really get enthusiastic about Live8. Of course, the sentiment is a very worthy one. And hurrah for St Bob for once more getting off his behind to try to do something about it. :clap: But.... meh! The line-up? :yawn: Maybe I'm an old cynic, but I can't really see it making a difference.
:yeah:
The spectacle of such known parsimonious givers as Celine Dion and Madonna, imploring us to give money, for some reason doesn't inspire me.

And {rant on}why is no-one at Live8 mentioning the key problem with Africa: the majority of African governments don't give a stuff about their own citizens? How about a "Ditch the Dictators" gig, hmmm? I'd support that for sure... { / rant }

Gadget
1st-July-2005, 01:30 PM
how about ploughing the money into something a bit closer to home... like drug rehab, neighberhood trust, RSPCC, the volentery coastguard, mountain rescue, community projects, cancer reserch, support groups, ... Yes, there may be people dying in Africa, but what about the people dying two doors down? What about the care services and local hospitals that are closing because of lack of funding? *sigh*

Andy McGregor
1st-July-2005, 01:43 PM
:yeah:
The spectacle of such known parsimonious givers as Celine Dion and Madonna, imploring us to give money, for some reason doesn't inspire me.

And {rant on}why is no-one at Live8 mentioning the key problem with Africa: the majority of African governments don't give a stuff about their own citizens? How about a "Ditch the Dictators" gig, hmmm? I'd support that for sure... { / rant }Since Plato first addressed the subject in "The Republic," wise observers of the human condition the world over have noted that, for better of for worse, societies tend to have the governments they deserve. What the societies of Africa have done to deserve the, often corrupt, administrations they have is beyond my ken. But, for better or worse, those are the administrations they are under. The USA seem to have 2 solutions, and if recent history is one we can go by, one follows swiftly on from the other. The first is to give massive aid and support to the corrupt administration in the hope that they can somehow manipulate that administration into making decisions in favor (sic) of the USA - keep oil flowing/cheap. The second phase comes when the corrupt administration does something corrupt with the aid given by the USA. The main difference is one of oil - if those African countries do anything to interrupt the flow of oil into the USA they will get to see a lot of tanks and aircraft ...

And, what is to stop a society, once St Bob has "ditched the dictator", from appointing a new one just the same? After all, it's the same system which produced the first one.

I don't pretend to know the answer. But I'm pretty sure it's not cash. And that is all cancelling debt is. It's saying you can keep your cash rather than paying it back. What message does that send to those societies? Don't work, borrow money, don't pay it back. These are government loans we're talking about, not sacks of grain or medical care provided by and aid agency: that was free.

Northants Girly
1st-July-2005, 02:39 PM
Watford for me.
How far is Watford from Northants? :confused:

Andy McGregor
1st-July-2005, 02:51 PM
How far is Watford from Northants? :confused:
Not much nearer than Brighton/Hove :whistle:

Northants Girly
1st-July-2005, 02:56 PM
Not much nearer than Brighton/Hove :whistle:Oh really?

Your map reading/navigational skills are worse than mine then :na:

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 03:12 PM
And, what is to stop a society, once St Bob has "ditched the dictator", from appointing a new one just the same? After all, it's the same system which produced the first one.
Well, sending a message that Dictators Are Bad should eventually, one hopes, ensure that being a dictator will become less of a cushy job-for-life number.

Africa isn't inherently dictatorial - look at Botswana for a great example of how a p*ss-poor country with zero natural resources can prosper, simply from having a solid and stable democratic government.

Then compare with neighbouring Zimbabwe, with massive resources, and a somewhat-less than democratic government, and a GDP that's shrunk by, what? 40% in the past 5 years? Something like that...

But I guess "Good-governance, rule-of-law, democratic-institutions and free-press-Aid" doesn't quite have the same ring to it :whistle:

I don't pretend to know the answer. But I'm pretty sure it's not cash. And that is all cancelling debt is. It's saying you can keep your cash rather than paying it back. What message does that send to those societies? Don't work, borrow money, don't pay it back. These are government loans we're talking about, not sacks of grain or medical care provided by and aid agency: that was free.
Yeesss... Cancelling debt is just "aid in a different way". But there's a slightly more subtle argument, to do with the reputation of the government itself - i.e. if a country isn't "debt-ridden", it may attract more outward investment. I'm not completely convinced though

I'd agree that "cash is not the answer". There's a good article in a book by P.J. O'Rourke about poverty in the US. He calculated that the amount of money the US Government paid to alleviate poverty was more than enough to bring the average poor person well above the povery income level. In other words, there should be no poor people. And yet, there they were...

Cruella
1st-July-2005, 04:07 PM
Dancing,at a charity ball in coventry. So get my fix and do some good for a charity in this country too.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
1st-July-2005, 06:19 PM
Am not dancing on sat. But I would rather dance than go to Live8, and I probably won't be watching it either...

Lynn
2nd-July-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree that Live8 isn't a perfect solution, neither is simply pouring aid into countries if its not managed properly. But I'm glad it raises awareness of issues - the massive poverty, the many people dying from such simply cured illnesses...

IMHO if sending aid to Africa - put money into supporting small businesses develop, into properly managed, sustainable projects.

One incident on a visit to Africa highlighted for me the daily struggle that life can be - I wanted to buy a carved wooden bowl from a trader, he brought it to my door at the end of the day, and I said I would buy it the next day as I was going home that week and wanted to buy other things to take home as gifts. I had seen this man every day for 2 months, as he traded under a tree at the gate of the compound I was living on, he knew I would be there tomorrow if I said I would be. But he asked, if it was OK with me, could I buy the bowl that evening, as it had rained and he hadn't sold anything that day - and needed to buy the food for his family for that evening. That day to day existence is a pattern for many.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
2nd-July-2005, 01:57 PM
I agree with you Lynn. But what bothers me about Live8, is the fact that-oh yes Bob and co. are so generously giving their time for free, and asking us to dig deep in our pockets and support the cause, but how much of THEIR money are they giving?!

Chicklet
2nd-July-2005, 02:39 PM
do those Coldplay chappies have a really bad hangover or do they always sound flat, dirgelike and quite horrid on the ears??? that singer can't hit a note, never mind hold it!Shocking. :eek:

...there may be more similar posts as I hear some these bands for the first time in my sheltered 50s centred life

back to the knitting :waycool:

Minnie M
2nd-July-2005, 02:45 PM
how about ploughing the money into something a bit closer to home... like drug rehab, neighberhood trust, RSPCC, the volentery coastguard, mountain rescue, community projects, cancer reserch, support groups, ... Yes, there may be people dying in Africa, but what about the people dying two doors down? What about the care services and local hospitals that are closing because of lack of funding? *sigh*

:yeah: :yeah:

Lynn
2nd-July-2005, 02:51 PM
I agree with you Lynn. But what bothers me about Live8, is the fact that-oh yes Bob and co. are so generously giving their time for free, and asking us to dig deep in our pockets and support the cause, but how much of THEIR money are they giving?! I remember a while back saying something similar to a friend about Elton John as he spends so much money on luxury - and then found out that he does give a sizable amount to charity. We just don't hear about it as it makes a much better story when he is spending a fortune on flowers or something.

And I don't think this is just about raising money, as raising awareness this time. I'm pretty sure that Bob gives a fair amount of his money as he does really care about this.

And the fact that a lot of the artists are already 'big' names, they aren't all doing this to raise their profile, they have been invited because of their profile. But of course some also like the 'good press' that comes from being involved with something like this. Though I don't reckon that would apply to the likes of U2 and others who are doing this because they want to make a difference.

Lynn
2nd-July-2005, 02:57 PM
Yes, there may be people dying in Africa, but what about the people dying two doors down?

:yeah: :yeah: I agree there are needs closer to home. But those people dying two doors down, aren't usually dying simply because they haven't got any food or clean water to drink.

And yes schools and hospitals in the UK are closing (not because there isn't enough money but because how the money is being managed) but I'm not sure teachers and doctors here would work for months without any pay, which does happen in Africa.

Chicklet
2nd-July-2005, 03:04 PM
aha, I quite like the portly chap on now with the piyaner and the bushy hair singing the praises of his long lost lady friend and planning on taking her out at the weekend, quite sweet really.

Chicklet
2nd-July-2005, 03:12 PM
don't think he should have let the twelve year old thunderbird doll in the make up on the stage but!

Chicklet
2nd-July-2005, 03:16 PM
Davenport one break up in the first

clevedonboy
2nd-July-2005, 03:54 PM

How about finding out what live8 is about - Bob doesn't want you f***ing money this time he wants the world's support to influence 8 people in 1 room on July 6 www.live8live.com

Chicklet
2nd-July-2005, 03:57 PM
Finally - a bit of heart and energy - I'm liking the Stereophonic laddies - kind of U2 meets a spoonful of ELO sugar :waycool: -could be tempted to a greatest hits at £6.99.

Lynn
2nd-July-2005, 04:19 PM
How about finding out what live8 is about ... I think people see a big event like this and think it about an appeal for money. Despite the fact that tickets were being given away free and there has been no details of how to give money...

People just don't pay attention - but that is the problem - people not paying attention to what is happening in the rest of the world.

Minnie M
2nd-July-2005, 05:51 PM
Have to make a post - the Live8 is really fantastic, watching Annie Lennox :worthy: she still rocks - wot a lady :worthy: AND as I will be able to watch nearly all of it BEFORE going dancing :clap:

Minnie M
2nd-July-2005, 07:26 PM
right now 7:25pm MADONNA and our very own Glen (WCS Glen) as a backing dancer

he's the one with the bad hand, he broke his thumb, he did this in rehersals (told us about it at MJC)

Tiggerbabe
2nd-July-2005, 08:39 PM
Wow! The dancers with her were fab, Minnie. So which one was "your Glen" - the one who did that amazing head spin? :worthy: :worthy:

Minnie M
2nd-July-2005, 09:12 PM
Wow! The dancers with her were fab, Minnie. So which one was "your Glen" - the one who did that amazing head spin? :worthy: :worthy:

Yes the one without the shirt who did the spinning etc. :worthy:

I'm waiting for Dale to confirm as he knows him better than me. He was at MJC last weekend and said he had broken his thumb in a dance routine backing Madonna, I thought it was for a video. It was difficult to see his face, but 95% sure it was him.

He taught WCS at MJC last year and often turns up at big events. Brady & Jane have met him

I was so excited when I saw him, it was like a 'claim to fame' :blush:

Bigger Andy
5th-July-2005, 10:16 AM
I went to the Ceroc (Kent) Summer Ball at the Leas Cliff Hall at Folkestone.

The Jive Aces performed :waycool: :clap:

and there was a class as well as a cabaret performance ('The Principles of Lust') by
Nicky Haslam and Robert Winter :clap: :worthy:

An excellent night !

CJ
5th-July-2005, 10:29 AM
Anyone going to the gig in Edin?!?

Anyone want to swap 2 standing tix for 2 seats? (plus an undisclose dsum of monaey/sexual favours...)

Will
5th-July-2005, 10:47 AM
They were saying yesterday on Radio 1 how each year Britain gives £50 million in aid to Mozambique. Last year £100 million of public money in Mozambique went "missing". So twice what Britain give was wasted by corruption last year.

I think it is quite correct to say that cancelling the debt won't end poverty in Africa, and I sympathise with the position that says we shouldn't cancel it until we know the repayments that African governments no longer has to pay aren't then used to by more Mercedes for the rulers, or for more millitary spending.

However, like Lynn says, the Live8 thing does massively raise awareness of the poverty that people are suffering. It also shows a humanitarian side to people in that they genuinely care about other peoples suffering. This surely has to be morally right.

It also hightlights issues of fair trade which are hugely important if you aren't just to provide a "band-aid" (pardon the pun) solution. Perhaps we should start re-investigating the amount of subsidies that our farmers get in the west? How can these other nations compete in this market whent this is going on?

Finally, if we cancel 3rd world debt, it won't end poverty in Africa, but it might "remove a blanket" and help to expose the corruption African leaders, and the unfair trade / farming subsidies that the African people are up against.

Lindsay
5th-July-2005, 11:34 PM
right now 7:25pm MADONNA and our very own Glen (WCS Glen) as a backing dancer

he's the one with the bad hand, he broke his thumb, he did this in rehersals (told us about it at MJC)

Not (wcs) Glen from Scotland, surely? Moved South a few years back...

Minnie M
6th-July-2005, 01:32 AM

and there was a class as well as a cabaret performance ('The Principles of Lust') by

An excellent night !

:confused: are you comparing the above to Live8 :confused:

Bigger Andy
6th-July-2005, 11:34 AM

An excellent night !

:confused: are you comparing the above to Live8 :confused:

Certainly not !
The question was "Live8 or Dancing ?"
I was simply saying that I went dancing and had a good night.

I videoed the Live8 concert that I couldn't see and watched it later.
I am all in favour of making poverty history.
I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with that !
Or why you should be confused by my innocent statement ! :flower: