PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Dancing in Wigan?

Mie
29th-June-2005, 03:59 PM
Hello there

I'm wondering if anyone can help me...? (Hmmm... Dumb question, when I come to think if it... The forumites have the answer to any problem, don't they?) :D :worthy: :wink:

I'm relocating from London to Wigan for a couple of months for work and am desparately looking for good places to go dancing. Any kind will do, but preferably MJ, Salsa or WCS. I don't know if I'll have a car yet, so don't know how far I can travel, but am interested in hearing about anything in the area.

So... What do you guys suggest?

Northants Girly
29th-June-2005, 04:04 PM
Hello there

I'm wondering if anyone can help me...? (Hmmm... Dumb question, when I come to think if it... The forumites have the answer to any problem, don't they?) :D :worthy: :wink:

I'm relocating from London to Wigan for a couple of months for work and am desparately looking for good places to go dancing. Any kind will do, but preferably MJ, Salsa or WCS. I don't know if I'll have a car yet, so don't know how far I can travel, but am interested in hearing about anything in the area.

So... What do you guys suggest?Have a look here (http://www.modernjive.com/) - click on the map :D

Gus
29th-June-2005, 04:07 PM
Peversley I think that Ceroc Manchester have a club there. Been going 6 months or so. Think also that Barnside Jive (or something similar) also have a club in the area.

Try www.uk-jive.co.uk ... its the only really UK based source of clubs (and loads of other great info.

Russell Saxby
30th-June-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm relocating from London to Wigan for a couple of months for work

:sad:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-June-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm relocating from London to Wigan for a couple of months for work
{snip}
So... What do you guys suggest?A new job?

Paul F
30th-June-2005, 11:17 PM
Now everyone, watch what you say. Wigan is my home town :grin:

Hi Mie. Tis true I was born and bred in Wigan even though I may not sound like it. I still dont understand what the broad Wiganers say sometimes!!

Got to say, after living in quite a few towns throughout England Wigan is certainly one of the best. Of course I would say that but it is true. Its got a lot going for it with regard to low crime, good transport/roads, shops, friendliness etc.

(for anyone living in London friendliness is where people are nice to each other :grin: .......sorry :blush: )

Certainly a lot better than some towns I can mention :tears: And absolutely brilliant compared to a lot of the big cities.

(dont get me started on the quality of the roads in Leeds and London. For us cyclists its a nightmare :mad: )

As for dancing, well, i will give you the break down.

West Coast Swing - Not a chance! At least , not yet.

Salsa - Yeah a few venues. One of the best is run by "Salsa...Feel the heat". Not a bad little club but for major clubs you will have to look into Manchester although Liverpool and Manchester are pretty much equidistant (another good thing I think!). They have clubs in Atherton and nearby Walkden I think.

MJ - There is Barnside Jive who do a night in Atherton on a tuesday. Its not too far a drive to their venue near Prestwich on a Monday. There is Prestwich itself on a monday by leswing (both a 25 minute drive)

Then , of course, there is Ceroc :) in Hindley, a borough of wigan, at the magnificent Monaco Ballroom. It is a pretty new venue in newish territory so the overall standard is Beginner/Inter with a few high-intermediate dancers but obviously this will improve. Not too big numbers yet (about 70) but, again, its getting bigger. I say not too big because of the size of the venue. I have danced in LOADS of venues round the country and this is by far and away one of the best. A proper period ballroom!
And lastly if you fancy a drive we have our other night at Hyde in East Manchester about 40 minutes from Wigan on a wednesday.

Im trying to think if i have missed anyone out. I cant remember the names of any other salsa clubs but because you can get into Liverpool in 20 mins and Manchester in about the same people tend to go there - both via relatively ungongested motorways at evening times.

It goes without saying that if you need any info on anything for your move dont hesitate to ask. If you PM me i will give you my contact details.

Paul

Mie
4th-July-2005, 06:38 PM
Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

My managers have now decided to keep me in London for another 2 weeks, and then perhaps send me to Wigan.

I will keep you posted.

PaulF... A special thanks to you. You made me actually look forward to going to Wigan a little bit more. :flower: I'll definitely be in contact when I know more details about my stay.