PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters - Friday

Minnie M
29th-June-2005, 02:57 PM
This is the first Ealing Friday get together after two major events - who's going, will be great to meet up :clap:

Rhythm King
29th-June-2005, 04:05 PM
This is the first Ealing Friday get together after two major events - who's going, will be great to meet up :clap:

Can't make this one, I'm afraid. Have a dance for me please.

R-K :flower:

Minnie M
29th-June-2005, 04:46 PM
Can't make this one, I'm afraid. Have a dance for me please.

R-K :flower:
Noooo.... :tears: can I book 2 dances for the next time we meet please :flower: Hopiing to meet up with lots of forumites, just hope JB is on form so we can have a good dance too :clap:

Spice 'n' Easy
29th-June-2005, 05:21 PM
I'll be there and looking forward to another fab dance with you Minnie :clap:

Cruella
29th-June-2005, 05:52 PM
Can't decide whether to do Hipsters or Cheshunt!!!! I hate making decisions, anyone help? :confused:

Trousers
29th-June-2005, 05:55 PM
Can't decide whether to do Hipsters or Cheshunt!!!! I hate making decisions, anyone help? :confused:
Yeah I'm having the same dilemma. So I'm waiting to hear from the Reading Massive if he ever picks up his phone

Oi NORTHERN BLOKE!! It's Phat Friday!

BobbyA
29th-June-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm going to Hipsters for the first time. I don't know anyone tho, and i'll be on my own.. boo hoo :(

I'm sure the friendly crowd will make me feel at home.

I'm looking forward to nigel and nina's class too..

If anyone recognises me feel free to say "Hi" (pic in profile).

I'll see everyone there.

Minnie M
29th-June-2005, 05:59 PM
Please come to Hipsters Cruella, I miss ya and need a Cruella hug and a dance too please (u're a fab lead) please don't upset me again I need TLC after DJ said he was gonna burn me :innocent:

PS: I'll look out for you Bobby, only if you promise me a dance :flower:

Cruella
29th-June-2005, 08:19 PM
Please come to Hipsters Cruella, I miss ya and need a Cruella hug and a dance too please (u're a fab lead) please don't upset me again I need TLC after DJ said he was gonna burn me :innocent:

PS: I'll look out for you Bobby, only if you promise me a dance :flower:
OK i will come just to give you your hug :hug: I'll be bringing Zebra Woman and Northants Girlie too so all you men best make sure you have got alot of stamina for us all. :rofl:

Minnie M
29th-June-2005, 09:48 PM
OK i will come just to give you your hug :hug: I'll be bringing Zebra Woman and Northants Girlie too so all you men best make sure you have got alot of stamina for us all. :rofl:
:clap: :hug: :clap: :kiss: :clap:

Mr Fitz
29th-June-2005, 10:48 PM
The plan is to go next month :clap: (aug), but flight doesn't get in to Heathrow til after 7pm...does it sellout? :confused:

Trousers
29th-June-2005, 11:08 PM
The plan is to go next month :clap: (aug), but flight doesn't get in to Heathrow til after 7pm...does it sellout? :confused:
I din't get there till after 10 the last time I went.
Was cool getting in and people turned up after that too.
I wouldn't worry you'll get in

angelique
29th-June-2005, 11:16 PM
:yeah:
Can't make it this Friday...STILL haven't been able to dance since arriving back from Southport!! :what: :tears:
Too busy earning a crust to put food on the table and all that Jazz...God, is that a cue for a dance?? :wink:

Does that mean am absolutely desperate to trip the light fantastic? :whistle:

Anyway, am pleased to tell ya that I can't make it this Friday as have a "hot date"!! :D Have a few dances for me though you guys won't ya?? :worthy:
Northants Girly, Minnie et al...do some REAL sleazy stuff for me in my abscence! :drool: :clap: :clap:

Cruella
30th-June-2005, 08:18 AM
:

Anyway, am pleased to tell ya that I can't make it this Friday as have a "hot date"!! :D :drool: :clap: :clap:
Does Mr Angelique know this!??! :wink:

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 08:57 AM
Please come to Hipsters Cruella, I miss ya and need a Cruella hug and a dance too please (u're a fab lead) please don't upset me again I need TLC after DJ said he was gonna burn me
Hey, I was just Following The Rules. You broke them, you had to pay :devil:

Never has done so far. Although parking after 10pm is always a bit of a challenge.

Anyone else fancy doing the salsa class downstairs first?

BobbyA
30th-June-2005, 11:23 AM
Salsa class? Where at the hipsters place? I have no idea what the area has to offer.. Never really been to ealing broadway.

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 11:29 AM
Salsa class? Where at the hipsters place? I have no idea what the area has to offer.. Never really been to ealing broadway.
It's in the downstairs hall, run by Mambocity (http://www.mambocity.co.uk/) - although of course you have to pay twice, for the two entries. I wish there was a Joint Entry ticket... :sad:

JoC
30th-June-2005, 11:39 AM
So is Hipsters in Ealing? I'm hoping to make a darn sarf dancing trip sometime this year so I'm trying to suss out what and where happens down London way.

I feel like such a bumpkin!

(Goes off to look in road atlas to find our where Ealing is...)

:)

Sheepman
30th-June-2005, 11:49 AM
No BFFF for me :tears: why is it that my DJ slots always seem to clash? (And checking the diary I see that the same applies in August too :tears: :tears: ) One day I'll make it...

Greg

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 11:57 AM
So is Hipsters in Ealing? I'm hoping to make a darn sarf dancing trip sometime this year so I'm trying to suss out what and where happens down London way.
Yep, it's in Ealing Town Hall.

From the West / Northwest, your best bet is probably to:
- follow the M40 / A40 to Hangar Lane gyratory (BIG roundabout)
- then go down the A406 (South, not North) for a couple of miles
- then turn right onto the A4020.
- Keep on that road for a mile or so, going through Ealing town centre,
- and the town hall is on the right.

Who needs multimap when DavidMap is here :)

BobbyA
30th-June-2005, 11:59 AM
Between the hours of 4 and the start of the Hipsters thing i'm gonna be wandering round london on my own so i may as well do the salsa thing, as long as its relativly easy.. I can only do the basics in Salsa (mambo step basic step, cross body lead and a sobraro - and some half turns and a couple other things :P )

I don't mind about the double entry price. How much is salsa anyhow?

And what time does it start?

JoC
30th-June-2005, 12:04 PM
Thankyou DJmap! I'm guessing a car is probably recommended for a dancing tour of London then...?

Zebra Woman
30th-June-2005, 12:18 PM
Between the hours of 4 and the start of the Hipsters thing i'm gonna be wandering round london on my own so i may as well do the salsa thing, as long as its relativly easy.. I can only do the basics in Salsa (mambo step basic step, cross body lead and a sobraro - and some half turns and a couple other things :P )

I don't mind about the double entry price. How much is salsa anyhow?

And what time does it start?

There are some nice bars and restaurants on around the Town hall that may be a better bet...

Both classes start at the same time, Nigel's footwork class starts at 8.30 .

Salsa at Ealing Town Hall

The Place To Be on Fridays - 8pm - 1am
Dance Classes for all levels
Beginners/Improvers from 8:30pm to 9:30pm
Intermediates/Advance from 8:30pm to 9:30pm followed by Dancing to Music by Dj's Lorenzo and Cruz.
Licensed Bar til Late.
Free Car parking at rear
Price £7/£5 Members/NUS
@Ealing Town Hall, New Broadway,
Uxbridge Road
Ealing W5 2BY

http://www.mambocity.co.uk

Damn :confused: I was going to try and be clever and do that thing with url and brackets and stuff...next time

Cu there for a dance Bobby A

ZW :flower:

JoC
30th-June-2005, 12:26 PM
I mean DavidMap

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 12:34 PM
Salsa at Ealing Town Hall...
Bear in mind that "8.30pm" is in Latin Time, so more like 9pm. The beginners and improvers classes are both very straightforward, although the advanced class is quite advanced.

Damn :confused: I was going to try and be clever and do that thing with url and brackets and stuff...next time
What, like this? (http://www.mambocity.co.uk) :innocent:

JoC, that's 10p for copyright abuse you owe me :)

Or a dance...

JoC
30th-June-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd prefer to pay my fine in dance currency, although whether a dance with me is equal to the value of as much as 10p is debatable... :whistle:

Danielle
30th-June-2005, 01:07 PM
ooooh..........I'm really tempted to try both hipsters and salsa now (went to my first salsa class with Vicktor the other day and am all inspired now!!) am a bit worried that it will get a bit confusing as have just started lambada too but figure as long as i wiggle and smile i can't go far wrong!!! :innocent:

Do any forumites fancy meeting and heading downstairs to salsa together??(safety in numbers and all that!! :wink: )

ducasi
30th-June-2005, 01:26 PM
I'd prefer to pay my fine in dance currency, although whether a dance with me is equal to the value of as much as 10p is debatable... :whistle:
A dance with Jo is worth so much more than 10p!

In fact, it might even be worth as much as 25p! :wink:

JoC
30th-June-2005, 01:49 PM
In fact, it might even be worth as much as 25p! :wink:
Stop, that's far too much, you're making me blush.

Almost an Angel
30th-June-2005, 02:23 PM
Hopiing to meet up with lots of forumites, just hope JB is on form so we can have a good dance too :clap:

I'll be there Minnie :hug: but it will be after 11, I'm heading to WCS first (need the practice) then I'll zoom up to meet all you guys. :D :D

Angel xx

DavidB
30th-June-2005, 02:33 PM
I doubt I'll be there. I'm working until 8:00, and then have to go to the gym.

under par
30th-June-2005, 02:37 PM
I finish work at 11pm in Worthing, so will not be able to get there :sad: :sad: :sad:

Mrs Par on the other hand hopes to be there :clap: :yeah:

I'll have to wait till next month :tears: :tears: :angry:

BobbyA
30th-June-2005, 02:48 PM
ooooh..........I'm really tempted to try both hipsters and salsa now (went to my first salsa class with Vicktor the other day and am all inspired now!!) am a bit worried that it will get a bit confusing as have just started lambada too but figure as long as i wiggle and smile i can't go far wrong!!! :innocent:

Do any forumites fancy meeting and heading downstairs to salsa together??(safety in numbers and all that!! :wink: )

Lambada is kinda cool, tho as my brother puts it is like floppy trees. Having to sway forwards and back all the time. The footwork can get confusing (one of the reasons i tend to prefer modern jive still), I've done salsa on and off for about a year but never really taken it seriously, its nice I think but I still like the flexibilty of MJ. All moves in Salsa tend to be 8 beats all the time and your aways doing things in sections of 4 beats. I dunno maybe if i do salsa more i'd get more into it. I tend to find MJ people a friendlier crowd.

If the class is at the same time as N&N then i will probably do the N&N class.

BobbyA
30th-June-2005, 02:49 PM
I doubt I'll be there. I'm working until 8:00, and then have to go to the gym.

The Gym? Whats that? :P :P (Just ceroc your energy away. It will make up for it :P)

Chef
30th-June-2005, 02:54 PM
Dawn and I are planning to be there this Friday - one of the few times a BFFF has not conflicted with us travelling off somewhere else. I will be in my usual disguise of Chefs trousers.

I have also booked my place at John Fords swing and blues room at Bookham for saturday so this is looking like it is going to be a good weekend and a nice way to return to dancing after Southport. See you all there.

Clive Long
30th-June-2005, 02:59 PM
Lambada is kinda cool, tho as my brother puts it is like floppy trees. Having to sway forwards and back all the time. The footwork can get confusing (one of the reasons i tend to prefer modern jive still), I've done salsa on and off for about a year but never really taken it seriously, its nice I think but I still like the flexibilty of MJ. All moves in Salsa tend to be 8 beats all the time and your aways doing things in sections of 4 beats. I dunno maybe if i do salsa more i'd get more into it. I tend to find MJ people a friendlier crowd.

If the class is at the same time as N&N then i will probably do the N&N class.
Crikey - this man's a natural - talk of 8 beats and 4 beats.

I rarely have a bad night at Ealing, (once, just once I had a really good night :devil: ) - but tak elots of spare T-shirts and a generous sized towel. It can get busy and will get hot.

I'll see you there and say hello.

Clive

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 03:16 PM
All moves in Salsa tend to be 8 beats all the time and your aways doing things in sections of 4 beats. I dunno maybe if i do salsa more i'd get more into it. I tend to find MJ people a friendlier crowd.
Can't disagree with any of that - salsa does have a longer learning curve, it is less flexible, and the crowd is less friendly. Although the Mambocity lot seem to be more friendly than average.

The only thing I would say is that if you persevere with salsa, you may find it helps your MJ, simply because it does have a bit more discipline, and it makes you think about footwork.

wicked blue
30th-June-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm going to Hipsters for the first time. I don't know anyone tho, and i'll be on my own.. boo hoo :(

I'm sure the friendly crowd will make me feel at home.

I'm looking forward to nigel and nina's class too..

If anyone recognises me feel free to say "Hi" (pic in profile).

I'll see everyone there.

I'll second that minnie!! A greeting for a dance!!

Minnie M
30th-June-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm coming up with my mate Kate and (hopefully) Mrs.Under Par. Really looking forward to meeting up with forumites I haven't seen since Southport or Greenwich - got to get my dance in with David James (missed out at MJC) and at least one with Spice 'n' Easy :drool:

What other boys are going :D

Andreas
30th-June-2005, 07:13 PM
I heard rumours that I will be there, too. Due to the distance it is gonna be a bit late, though.

Minnie M
30th-June-2005, 07:19 PM
I heard rumours that I will be there, too. Due to the distance it is gonna be a bit late, though.
:clap: :clap: could I have a dance please :blush:

I'm still undecided! - see below :whistle:

wot no Lory :tears: you must come, wont be the same without you there :sad:

Lory
30th-June-2005, 07:19 PM

:worthy: For asking such an important question Minnie :kiss:

I'm still undecided! :rolleyes:

marty_baby
30th-June-2005, 07:58 PM
Hiya All,

I'm going! :D

What are the Decent Restaurants/Take aways in the area, to grab something to eat before hand? (The place in Ealing I've booked myself into for the night, is only a B&B apparently)

And.... afterwards... Is there actually any closeby places, open at 1am, to go afterwards to munch on a Kebab or burger... which isn't going give me food posioning?? :rofl:

Cheers
Martin
:cheers:

Andreas
30th-June-2005, 08:05 PM
:clap: :clap: could I have a dance please :blush:

I'd be delighted :hug:

Minnie M
30th-June-2005, 08:10 PM
Hiya All,

I'm going! :D

What are the Decent Restaurants/Take aways in the area, to grab something to eat before hand? (The place in Ealing I've booked myself into for the night, is only a B&B apparently)

And.... afterwards... Is there actually any closeby places, open at 1am, to go afterwards to munch on a Kebab or burger... which isn't going give me food posioning?? :rofl:

Cheers
Martin
:cheers:
Check it out before you go in, there are many cafes, coffee bars, and restraurants in the immediate area and lots of take-aways (burger bars/fried chicken etc) open afterwards - we often get some fried chicken on our way home to Brighton

(Thanks Andreas :hug: will get one of the girls to point you out for me)

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 08:27 PM
My Old Dutch is just opposite - savoury and sweet pancake place, very nice. But really, in Ealing, just throw a brick, there are dozens of places.

And.... afterwards... Is there actually any closeby places, open at 1am, to go afterwards to munch on a Kebab or burger...
Loads - all with big queues at 1am, but they're there.

which isn't going give me food posioning?? :rofl:
Ah, now there you've got me... :sick:

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 08:28 PM

:worthy: For asking such an important question Minnie :kiss:

I'm still undecided! :rolleyes:
If I go anywhere, it'll be there - but I'm feeling under the weather at the moment... Am going to bed in 10 mins, will see how I feel tomorrow.
Have a lovely time anyway. :hug:

Andreas
30th-June-2005, 08:37 PM
(Thanks Andreas :hug: will get one of the girls to point you out for me)

Won't be hard finding me, I'll be the one in t-shirt, pants and shoes
:rofl: :flower:

Didn't we meet first time I was at Ashton's in October (with my girlfriend)? :nice:

Minnie M
30th-June-2005, 08:46 PM
Didn't we meet first time I was at Ashton's in October (with my girlfriend)? :nice:
Yes :yeah: :clap: I remember now :flower: didn't get a dance though :tears: looking forward to meeting up again :hug:
PS:did have some help in remembering you, got a PM giving tips how to spot you :blush:

Ballroom queen
30th-June-2005, 10:21 PM
Hiya All,

I would recommend the Tapas bar down the road opposite the town hall, but there are lots of places as for afterwards, I'm afraid none I would recommend, although if there is anywhere a group could go onto afterwards for coffee and chat it would be a good find.

Ideas anyone?

marty_baby
30th-June-2005, 11:11 PM
Hiya All,

Looks like we have a mission tommorow then! :nice:

1. Dance with more forumites! :hug:
2. Find a nice place to munch, slurp and chat afterwards! :cheers:

See you all tommorow!

Martin
:clap:

latinlover
1st-July-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm coming up with my mate Kate and (hopefully) Mrs.Under Par. Really looking forward to meeting up with forumites I haven't seen since Southport or Greenwich - got to get my dance in with David James (missed out at MJC) and at least one with Spice 'n' Easy :drool:

sorted a babysitter now, so we'll be there :clap:
save one for me :flower:

Missy D
1st-July-2005, 08:37 AM
I will be coming along too!

Hope i can remember how to dance

Cruella
1st-July-2005, 09:02 AM
Looks like a good night ahead. :clap: We are arriving about 8.30ish and probably going to a coffee bar first. Minnie are you up for that? As freestyle doesn't start till about 9.45. Northants Girlies idea so hopefully she will post venue on here so that anyone else that wants to join us can.
I'm going to follow Minnie around all night and get the men when she's finished with them, so ladies make an orderly queue behind me :rofl:

Minnie M
1st-July-2005, 02:59 PM
Looks like a good night ahead. :clap: We are arriving about 8.30ish and probably going to a coffee bar first. Minnie are you up for that? As freestyle doesn't start till about 9.45. Northants Girlies idea so hopefully she will post venue on here so that anyone else that wants to join us can.
I'm going to follow Minnie around all night and get the men when she's finished with them, so ladies make an orderly queue behind me :rofl:

probably going to a coffee bar first......... who's idea ???? :whistle:

we should get there (traffic permitting) just before 9, can't leave any earlier - but that still leaves 45mins for the coffee and chat. So for all those who don't want to do the lesson, the more the merrier come and join us, not sure of the coffee bar name but it is opposite the Town Hall to the right as you cross the road.

I will be with Mrs. Under Par and my mate Kate who is not a forumite (Lindy/Salsa dancer but originally MJ) she is a fabby dancer and has been dancing as long as me :eek: worth a dance fellas but only if you dance with me first, then Lory, and Cruella, and Northants Girlie, and Zebra Woman etc (sorry if I missed your name) etc (not necessarily in that order)

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 03:16 PM
only if you dance with me first, then ... (not necessarily in that order)
So are you first or not? :confused:

Cruella
1st-July-2005, 03:57 PM
So are you first or not? :confused:
Well as Minnie is so confused i'll jump in front of her and be first :grin: she'll never notice :rofl:

Minnie M
1st-July-2005, 04:01 PM
Well as Minnie is so confused i'll jump in front of her and be first :grin: she'll never notice :rofl:
Never notice ........... :eek: I...........don't..........thiiiiinkkkkk soooooooooooooooo.....
It's you lot behind me that have to fight, remember the old saying "age before beauty" you can't argue with that :rofl:

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 04:05 PM
remember the old saying "age before beauty" you can't argue with that :rofl:
I can argue with anything.

Also, do we have to wear armbands / bomburst things again ? :eek:

Northants Girly
1st-July-2005, 04:08 PM
I can argue with anything.

Also, do we have to wear armbands / bomburst things again ? :eek:Hope not :rolleyes: - tell us what you are gonna be wearing :)

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 04:15 PM
Hope not :rolleyes: - tell us what you are gonna be wearing :)
Well, assuming I'm up for it, I'm going to be completely radical and wear black, all black. Black shoes, black socks, black trousers and black T-Shirt. I'll also have a mop-my-brow flannel, which will be... hmmm... black :)

So that'll make me stand out from the crowd. :innocent:

Pammy
1st-July-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, assuming I'm up for it, I'm going to be completely radical and wear black, all black. Black shoes, black socks, black trousers and black T-Shirt. I'll also have a mop-my-brow flannel, which will be... hmmm... black :)

So that'll make me stand out from the crowd. :innocent:

You've not met Chris A then? :whistle:

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 04:35 PM
You've not met Chris A then? :whistle:
Clearly my invisible irony icon didn't get displayed. Strange that...

Pammy
1st-July-2005, 04:43 PM
Clearly my invisible irony icon didn't get displayed. Strange that...

If you'd said you'd gel down the quif, then fair enough, but you didn't... :D

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 04:52 PM
If you'd said you'd gel down the quif, then fair enough, but you didn't... :D
If I had hair, I would - don't let the avatar deceive you :sad:

spindr
1st-July-2005, 05:29 PM
Ok, last minute change of plans, so I'll be along -- and probably wander to the salsa lesson too.

As for outfit -- not sure yet -- but being 6'4'' makes it difficult to hide :)

SpinDr.

Minnie M
1st-July-2005, 05:43 PM
Ok, last minute change of plans, so I'll be along -- and probably wander to the salsa lesson too.

As for outfit -- not sure yet -- but being 6'4'' makes it difficult to hide :)
SpinDr.

but you can't hide from us girlies .... really pleased you will be there, save me a dance please :clap: :clap:

(hey girls the future is looking gooooood :clap: )

BobbyA
1st-July-2005, 07:03 PM
hello. im bored and killing some time in edwards bar next to the town hall. im on my pda. i met up with martin, tho he just went back to his hotel, for a nap, he invited me ack too.. no no not like that. i dunno some ppl get the wrong idea.

marty_baby
1st-July-2005, 08:17 PM
Just woke up.... sh*****t ... look at the time! :(

shower then otta here! :na:

....um... not sure what you was trying to say there Bobby.... it dosen't read very well! :rofl:

Right See you all in a bit! :D

BobbyA
2nd-July-2005, 01:06 AM
only me again. just got back to the hotel. thanks for such a fab evening to all gals and guys. im gonna get some sleep in prep for live8. i will definatly come back.

Danielle
2nd-July-2005, 03:18 AM
had a fab night too, sorry i missed you bobby :sad:

Only just got in - had a flat on the way home :angry: and in the process of changing my tyre slipped, banged my head against the car and scraped my knee on the road - and its still bleeding :tears: its gonna look great in all my little summer skirts - i'm not happy (although the 2 large glasses of pimms i've just had is helping :innocent: )

David Bailey
2nd-July-2005, 08:51 AM
had a fab night too, sorry i missed you bobby :sad:

Only just got in - had a flat on the way home :angry: and in the process of changing my tyre slipped, banged my head against the car and scraped my knee on the road
Ouch! :hug: I guess this demonstrates the lengths people go to...

I had a good night too, although the music really wasn't working for me, but the lovely forumettas made up for that of course. :flower:

Didn't have the energy to go downstairs for the salsa, was waiting for a latin set to come along upstairs and thought I might miss it. Waited a long time... :sad:

I did manage to grab Plum for a couple of dances, including one tango-y number, and I'd like to officially upgrade my insulting assessment of "she is very good" to "she is absolutely superb". :flower:

Minnie M
2nd-July-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi Folks

Was really really tired when I got it, my foot was killing me (more from the walkng to the car on the way back :eek: ) never seen the car park so full we had to park at least 10mins walk away :tears:

It took us longer to get there than the Northants lots :confused: we started the journey (after a couple of delays) at 8pm but didn't get there to near 10 :angry: missed the coffee and flapjacks :tears:

Great night, although I agree with DJ the music was a little strange, it was a real Heinz 57 but it didn't matter too much lots of really lovely people there, some I haven't seen for a about a year or so :clap: and it really extra specially nice meeting up with Cruella, NG etc. Really pleased ZW and Lory made it too :kiss: Weren't there a lot of birthday peeps there last night :cool:

Thank you for all my dances fellas, nice meeting you Bobby, never got to meet Marty, had a lovely couple of dances with Spindr (as always) BUT :sad: missed dancing with many of fav forumites - you know who you are (may I have two dances when we next meet please :hug: )

Lory
2nd-July-2005, 09:28 AM
Great night, although I agree with DJ the music was a little strange, it was a real Heinz 57
:yeah: Although I'm not 100% sure what a Heinz 57 is :blush: but it was definitly something weird :what: :rolleyes: :rofl:

I had a good night! Even though the music wasn't to my taste, the dancers certainly were! :waycool: Thanks guys :cheers:

Sorry I didn't get to dance with you Bobby :sad: and I still don't know who Marty is :confused:

Minnie M
2nd-July-2005, 09:55 AM
Heinz57 - many varieties
eg: bit of thumpy pop, soul, some 60s & 70s stuff, Rock 'n' Roll, and swingy/jazz plus some standard pop and swing stuff, in all fairness there was some good stuff - not being a DJ I am not sure why it didn't work.

David Bailey
2nd-July-2005, 10:48 AM
never seen the car park so full we had to park at least 10mins walk away :tears:
Did you try a bit further on up the side road leading to the car park? There were a couple of spare spaces there when I arrived. If it's after 10pm, I don't even try to park in the car park anymore.

:angry: missed the coffee and flapjacks :tears: There was coffee and flapjacks? :eek:

Weren't there a lot of birthday peeps there last night :cool:
I dunno, maybe I'm just being grouchy, but I'm not a big fan of the whole birthday dance thing.... :sad:

Heinz57 - many varieties
eg: bit of thumpy pop, soul, some 60s & 70s stuff, Rock 'n' Roll, and swingy/jazz plus some standard pop and swing stuff, in all fairness there was some good stuff - not being a DJ I am not sure why it didn't work.
:rofl: Excellent definition! :worthy:
Hmmm, I'd have thought that your opinion as a consumer was more important than any "professional" opinion.

For me, it was too much glam-rock, rock 'n roll, bit too fast. Maybe this is the type of audience for that venue? I dunno, but dancing to "Rockin' Robin" won't go down as one of the highlights of the evening for me.

Tiggerbabe
2nd-July-2005, 11:10 AM
dancing to "Rockin' Robin" won't go down as one of the highlights of the evening for me.
Your avatar looks like he'd cope really well with that :wink:

Cruella
2nd-July-2005, 11:31 AM
Nice to meet up with lots of forumites again. Finally met David James after a lot of hunting. Nice to put a face to the name. Bobby, recognised you from your profile picture but never got the chance to say hi, sorry. Didn't get to meet Spindr or Marty either. :tears: Thanx Minnie for the introductions and the hug. :hug:
I had a great night socially, lots of great people there but unfortunately the music really didn't do it for me, consequently i was not dancing my best. :( So sorry to any guys who struggled with me. :sick: Boy was it hot in there!! Franco could do with investing in a few more fans me thinks.
Look forward to seeing alot of you again at Daventry next saturday.

David Bailey
2nd-July-2005, 12:09 PM
Nice to meet up with lots of forumites again. Finally met David James after a lot of hunting.
I ran fast :) Lovely to meet you too.

Also, Northants Girlie and MsFab - I'm going to create a Secret Identity list to match real people with these "names" :rolleyes:

I had a great night socially, lots of great people there but unfortunately the music really didn't do it for me, consequently i was not dancing my best.
You seemed pretty darned good to me, and :worthy: for the hat-wearing thing.

OK, did anyone like the music last night? Anyone? Come on, don't be shy...

Clive Long
2nd-July-2005, 12:16 PM
Nice to meet up with lots of forumites again. Finally met David James after a lot of hunting.

David James. David James. All I'm hearing is David James :mad: :devil: :wink:

but unfortunately the music really didn't do it for me, consequently i was not dancing my best.

A couple of others said the music was "routine". Sorry Jon. All I can say was the dance floor was packed (don't go there Clive - it's been covered elsewhere, often)

Boy was it hot in there!!

A six T-shirt night for me. One lady stopped dancing with with (only temporarily) and said "Man you are slippy. We'll have to try something different". :whistle:

Franco could do with investing in a few more fans me thinks.

More fans? (as the Mad Hatter said) I didn't see one? I e-mailed Franco asking whether Ealing Council restricted him using more fans at the venue? I should have spoken to him also - he may not agree but he will listen.

Clive

David Bailey
2nd-July-2005, 12:28 PM
David James. David James. All I'm hearing is David James :You can never have too much of a good thing :)

All I can say was the dance floor was packed
Maybe the music was chosen for crowd-management as a cunning plan to, ahem, unpack the dance floor? :whistle:

More fans? (as the Mad Hatter said) I didn't see one?
There were a couple I think - one by bar and one other side of stage?
I think the fans were aimed low deliberately, for some clever reason, yes?

I e-mailed Franco asking whether Ealing Council restricted him using more fans at the venue? I should have spoken to him also - he may not agree but he will listen.
I wasn't too concerned about the heat - that's par for the course considering the number of people I think.

And re: Rockin' Robin:

Your avatar looks like he'd cope really well with that :wink:
I'll be humming that tune all day now, grrr.... :sad:

Trousers
2nd-July-2005, 12:37 PM
What was wrong wit' da musik?

There were at most 4 tracks I heard that I wouldn't have wanted to dance to and fortunately for me, but unfortunatley for the girl I caught before that track got going, I only actually danced one of them.

Some cracking Rock n Roll laid down, although after knockin one off with Coralie I was too pooped to do anymore. But sure enjoyed that one!

I had a groovy night, hot and sweaty but definately groovy. Made all the groovier by the fact that following the crappy tailbacks on the M1 I was proceeding in a northerly direction at about Mach 1 (gps kept switching into safe mode) and bugger! blue lights appeared a little way behind me. All the normal feelings of guilt, stupidity (gross and utter) and of course panic welled up and the foot came off the gas I looked back in the mirror so I could at least watch the nice gentleman in a uniform approaching. When what should happen but the now Very Very Nice Gentleman pulled someone else! RESULT!

Admittedly never one to look a gift horse in the mouth I eased off after that.

Good Night - hope no one I know got pulled tho!

Andreas
2nd-July-2005, 12:59 PM
OK, did anyone like the music last night? Anyone? Come on, don't be shy...

There was a number of really good tracks being playing throughout the night. However, there was also a good percentage of boring ding dong music, which I could have done without.

I don't complain about the fast music, though do prefer slow numbers these days. But I was lucky enough to dance all the faster tracks with ladies that could keep up :clap: So it wasn't that bad.

------------

Though, I do agree with your hypothesis that the music might have been chosen for 'floor occupation management' reasons. The large number of fast pieces would imply it.

Sorry, still no rep as I 'have to distribute rep before ....' :wink:

David Bailey
2nd-July-2005, 01:47 PM
Yay! Someone liked it! :) :clap:

"Wrong" is not really a term I'd use. It's all so subjective of course - you either like it or not, there's not really right / wrong music (OK, with the exceptions of Rockin' f***ing Robin and Swing bl**dy City).

Which is why I wanted to know if it was just a couple of loud-mouthers such as myself who weren't into it, or whether others generally liked it.

All I can say is what I personally felt, which is of course biased by my own likes and preferred musical style. For example, I'm sure, had I been a rock 'n roll / glam-rock fan, last night would have been heaven. Lindyhoppers probably enjoyed it too. But we all know they're weird.

I'd have liked a dreamstate of 3-5 Latin / slow tracks, so I could get into my rhythm; there were tracks I enjoyed, but they seemed to usually be followed by tracks I couldn't get into.

So, Minnie's "Heinz 57" description works for me. :grin:

marty_baby
2nd-July-2005, 02:36 PM
hiya all! :nice:

i had a good nite last night! :na:

I found the music good.... It was definately danceable, and not boring "1234" "1234" thump thump thump stuff....

Few things didn't quite go to plantho ....I slept a wee bit too much, and missed the 1st class, and the start of the second... :rofl:

Only bumped into one more of the forumites... and forgot to ask her if she could point out any others.... doh! maybe we all danced, but it din't click that I was a forumite! :rolleyes:

On a plus side... I did find some restaraunts open after 1am... they were on Bond street.... maybe next time! :nice:

Cheers
Martin
:clap:

Cruella
3rd-July-2005, 08:53 PM

There were at most 4 tracks I heard that I wouldn't have wanted to dance to and fortunately for me, but unfortunatley for the girl I caught before that track got going, I only actually danced one of them.

Some cracking Rock n Roll laid down, although after knockin one off with Coralie I was too pooped to do anymore. But sure enjoyed that one!

I had a groovy night, hot and sweaty but definately groovy. Made all the groovier by the fact that following the crappy tailbacks on the M1 I was proceeding in a northerly direction at about Mach 1 (gps kept switching into safe mode) and bugger! blue lights appeared a little way behind me. All the normal feelings of guilt, stupidity (gross and utter) and of course panic welled up and the foot came off the gas I looked back in the mirror so I could at least watch the nice gentleman in a uniform approaching. When what should happen but the now Very Very Nice Gentleman pulled someone else! RESULT!

Admittedly never one to look a gift horse in the mouth I eased off after that.

Good Night - hope no one I know got pulled tho!

That very nice gentlemen was one of my passengers fiance and was pulling me over for a good night kiss (not with me, with his fiance). :kiss:
He did the same on our journey down to hipsters. It was very exciting, have never been pulled by a policeman before. :rofl:

Trousers
3rd-July-2005, 10:23 PM
That very nice gentlemen was one of my passengers fiance and was pulling me over for a good night kiss (not with me, with his fiance). :kiss:
He did the same on our journey down to hipsters. It was very exciting, have never been pulled by a policeman before. :rofl:

Whey Hey! Twice in one night with a man in uniform.
That'll be one tick off the list then! lol