PDA

View Full Version : More women recently ?

stewart38
29th-June-2005, 11:58 AM
9,247 extra women tonight :sad: - I got into a bit of a strop about the 'moving on' - if we're moving on, then b****y well MOVE :mad: - don't DAWDLE!!! Beginners class took an extra 15 minutes tonight!!! I can count and walk at the same time and I'm blonde. I'm sure I confused things by counting to my next victim, I mean partner, and overtaking, or calculating that I was "out" and just making a beeline for the fan. I also don't keep the same place in the queue when I'm 'out' either, or you end up with the same partners all the time in class and it's good to practice with as many as possible - and that seems to confuse the hell out of people as well :devil:

Not sure if its just in the classes I’ve attended but seems to be recently a lot more surplus women then say 6 months ago

I know we have discussed elsewhere re the merits of different types of rotation but I’m not sure if one can ever get to an 'agreement' re what is best

I attended the above class and that venue seems to be trying out new variations each week ,some which work better then others

I’ve always been of the view count the ladies around. However as one women said being counted around 16 places at a time she is off a 1/3rd of the time. As Im not a women I don’t know what women feel best with

Having women EVENLY spread out can work I guess but that can be mixed up when more people turn up as happen at above event.

What I don’t like is when you have 12 extra women and the teacher moves on 6 then another 6. Women standing out for too long

I’m not sure if there is ever a simple solution apart from having more men or women dance as men when there are lots of women over

It does make the classes longer and less free style :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
29th-June-2005, 12:09 PM
I know we've discussed this before, but I'll leave MartinHarper to dig out the links.

Whichever way you look at it, if there are 50% more women than men, then if the system is fair a woman is going to spend 1 turn standing out for every two that she follows the class. It doesn't matter if it's one long line at the front of the class or if the 'spare' women are individually spaced around the room, or whatever - you can't beat the numbers.

And watching the chaos that ensues when the women are spread out ("duh, why am I standing in the middle of a line with no-one to dance with? I think I'll just wander off to the front and start another queue again" - or - "duh, I'm too dumb or selfish to move on to an empty place because there's no man free, so the woman behind me can stand out instead".) Sorting that mess out (or trying to) takes up more time than counting around.

Andy McGregor
29th-June-2005, 12:30 PM
I've noticed that we get more women over on at our 2 newer classes than we do at our established class (we've only got one). I've no idea why?

On the subject of moving on, I've tried different moving on methods and the one that works best is the single line of women at the side. But I think the reason for this is familiarity. The only time I think it's worth using a different moving on method is when there's guys over. Get the guys to line up and then get the women to stand in front of a guy - or get the couples to line up and get the spare guys to go and stand in the line between the couples. There will be guys with no partner but you can just move on one lady and the gap moves too! You just need to make sure the gaps are spaced out a bit. This seems to work better than moving on guys from a line at the side - maybe it's because we aren't familiar with moving on but we are able to stand still and count ladies.

LMC
29th-June-2005, 12:34 PM
Seems that 90% of the time there are more women than men, which kinda goes with the territory - so I don't mind that so much unless there are WAY more women (as there were on Monday, but I still got loads of dancing so I don't care :D :na: ). It's the queuing/moving on that gets on my nerves -the way that the line seems to move as if they are at a funeral wake not a dance night.

It doesn't take so long to traipse around if we're all spread out between couples - and this can work quite well in intermediate classes, although it only takes one or two people to be a bit thick about it and it all goes t**s up :mad:

MartinHarper
29th-June-2005, 02:20 PM
Watching the chaos that ensues when the women are spread out

Worcestershire lasses cope fine. Perhaps your women are defective?

Rotate or scatter (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3405)

Tessalicious
29th-June-2005, 02:30 PM
You'd best be careful what you say around here mister, us London girlies are in perfect working order thank you very much :wink:

LMC
29th-June-2005, 02:46 PM

No definitely not. It's all your worcestershire lasses that are defective. Evidence to support the hypothesis: I seem to be in the minority of coping fine. I am defective. Therefore.....

Let's hear it for defectiveness though :clap: or should that be defectivity?

As I said on another thread, perhaps the teacher can "gee things up a bit" if people are meandering along like there's no freestyle later?

Andy McGregor
29th-June-2005, 02:55 PM
Seems that 90% of the time there are more women than men, which kinda goes with the territory - so I don't mind that so much unless there are WAY more women (as there were on Monday, but I still got loads of dancing so I don't care :D :na: ). It's the queuing/moving on that gets on my nerves -the way that the line seems to move as if they are at a funeral wake not a dance night. :yeah: I've noticed this too. There's always one woman that holds up the snake of women moving through the line by walking slowly. And there's usually a guy who thinks that me saying move on 27 ladies is a signal for him to show his current partner the whole routine in slow motion and doesn't notice the log jam of women waiting for him to release his partner :what:

stewart38
29th-June-2005, 03:48 PM
:yeah: I've noticed this too. There's always one woman that holds up the snake of women moving through the line by walking slowly. And there's usually a guy who thinks that me saying move on 27 ladies is a signal for him to show his current partner the whole routine in slow motion and doesn't notice the log jam of women waiting for him to release his partner :what:

why do they say men dont count

ANY time and i mean ANY time men have to walk they count fine

They tend not to talk to each other like the women :whistle:

jivecat
29th-June-2005, 04:18 PM
It's the queuing/moving on that gets on my nerves -the way that the line seems to move as if they are at a funeral wake not a dance night.

It doesn't take so long to traipse around if we're all spread out between couples - and this can work quite well in intermediate classes, although it only takes one or two people to be a bit thick about it and it all goes t**s up :mad:

It clearly takes less time for 20 ladies to step sideways one place to reach the next available man than for 20 ladies to march/ slouch/ mince/ amble halfway round a large dance hall to reach their next partner. So from the point of view of class organisation this method is best. But I prefer the queuing up method so I can get the chance to sit down/ compare outfits/ check out glutes/ moan about the number of other ladies/ have a laugh about the direness of the routine etc etc and other enjoyable forms of social interaction. Sometimes the queue is the only place to get to chat to the other ladies.

On the rare occasions when there are too many men I quite enjoy watching them shifting about on those chairs looking embarrassed. Is chatting not manly, then, Stewart 38? :innocent:

bigdjiver
29th-June-2005, 04:32 PM
I've noticed that we get more women over on at our 2 newer classes than we do at our established class (we've only got one). I've no idea why?...Women chat. They tell their friends, who are probably mostly female, about the new good thing that they have found. It is the newly converted that are the keenest, and have the most friends that have not already heard the news. The result is the large collection of extra women at new venues and usually after Christmas, when they have been meeting old friends.

stewart38
29th-June-2005, 04:34 PM
Women chat. They tell their friends, who are probably mostly female, about the new good thing that they have found. It is the newly converted that are the keenest, and have the most friends that have not already heard the news. The result is the large collection of extra women at new venues and usually after Christmas, when they have been meeting old friends.

But its late June :what: