PDA

View Full Version : To take offence?

El Salsero Gringo
27th-June-2005, 03:05 PM
It seems from recent posts that some esteemed forum members get a great deal of satisfaction (they've almost raised it to fetish levels) from taking umbrage from what other people say to them - either on the forum or at dances, or, I suspect, in real life.

And then I suppose there are others who just let the most hateful and ill-meant comments pass them by as they troll along with their heads in the clouds. Nothiing is going to get through to them.

So rather than making a judgement about which is better (I see pros and cons in both attitudes to life) I'm asking you to have a think - then decide which category you fall into.

So are you the sort of person who reads an insult into the most harmless comment and isn't happy unless they're sure that four people have been rude to them by lunch-time? Or is it just impossible for you to get the hump, even when the four letter words come flying your way?

And if you're somewhere in the middle, to which extreme are you closer?

Andy McGregor
27th-June-2005, 03:15 PM
I think there are two parts to this. How we feel and what we do about how we feel having thought about it*. If we perceive that someone has insulted us we can, for example, feel angry, upset, amused, challenged, etc. We have an instinctive reaction to how we feel, be that punching someone on the nose (you lookin' at my bird?) or bursting into tears - these are neaderthal reactions, those of the the animal within us. BUT, we humans are different from most of the rest of the animal kingdom in that we're able to think before we act on how we feel* and temper our reaction based on experience and consideration of the probable outcome of our behavior.

*unless you are a guest on Tricia :innocent:

CJ
27th-June-2005, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't say it's impossible to offend me but you would have to try bloody hard to achieve it.

The problem being, once I've crossed that line it takes AGES for me to settle down again: am afraid to say I can be more than a little indignant. :wink:

:blush:

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 03:34 PM
Well I'm personally offended by the complete lack of animation in your avatar. I sat around for 3 seconds (long time by my standards) waiting for it to do something clever.

And it didn't.

Obviously, this malicious lack of action was aimed entirely at me.

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2005, 04:04 PM
I agree with DavidJames the malicious absence of donkey related humourous animation is clearly designed to infuriate and offend. I have NEVER BEEN SO INSULTED IN MY LIFE YOU DUMBASS.

:)

Minnie M
27th-June-2005, 04:05 PM
Well I'm personally offended by the complete lack of animation in your avatar. I sat around for 3 seconds (long time by my standards) waiting for it to do something clever.

And it didn't..
:rofl: seriously though - I DID :really: can't quite make out Gadget's one :sad:

LMC
27th-June-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm a woman, I'm inconsistent, so I think it's just NOT good enough that you can only post in one option on this poll, because my behaviour changes depending on whether there's an R in the month, how much coffee I've had, and is inversely proportional to the amount of work I should be doing.

:non-existent foot-stamping guy:

Nick M
27th-June-2005, 04:41 PM
I think this is an EXTREMELY offensive poll and wish to have nothing whatsover to do with it

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2005, 04:45 PM
I think this is an EXTREMELY offensive poll and wish to have nothing whatsover to do with it
You're a anti-thread fundamentalist and hypocrit. Not content to let us get on with our offensive threads you let us know you don't want anything to do with it but joining in with it. I happen to find that very offensive ;)

CJ
27th-June-2005, 05:07 PM

Well if you've got nothing to say on it, say nothing. :angry:

By posting like that, you've said something which amounted to saying nothing AND you said it too bloody loud.

Offended?!? Pah, I am dumbstruck, flabbergasted and bloody well unamused! :sad:

Sadly, I find your behaviour divisive.... :D

Nick M
27th-June-2005, 05:10 PM
You're a anti-thread fundamentalist and hypocrit. Not content to let us get on with our offensive threads you let us know you don't want anything to do with it but joining in with it. I happen to find that very offensive ;)

I am totally offended by the offense you take over my inoffensive post which took offense at this offensive poll. I find the whole thing ...... ummm, what's the word?

Dance Demon
27th-June-2005, 05:54 PM
Nothing

MartinHarper
27th-June-2005, 06:01 PM
There are others who just let the most hateful and ill-meant comments pass them by as they troll along with their heads in the clouds. Nothiing is going to get through to them.

Yeah - I try to pretend this is due to tolerance, but it's mostly due to stupidity. Goes along with being unpatronisable. Ignorance is bliss.

Little Monkey
27th-June-2005, 07:24 PM
Nothing

How dare you!!! :angry:

I'm deeply offended, hurt and upset, and will require months of therapy to get over this!!

Monkey (following like a sheep - baaaaah!)

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2005, 09:15 PM
Monkey (following like a sheep - baaaaah!)

What are you doing with Sheepman under your jumper? :eek:

El Salsero Gringo
27th-June-2005, 11:36 PM
You lot are unbelievable. Every time I put up a jokey poll that's not meant to be taken seriously, everyone thinks I'm being serious and I come in for a slagging, left right and centre. And now that I'm being serious you're all taking the ****.

If I weren't so laid back and tolerant, I'd be really offended.

David Bailey
28th-June-2005, 08:32 AM
You lot are unbelievable. Every time I put up a jokey poll that's not meant to be taken seriously, everyone thinks I'm being serious and I come in for a slagging, left right and centre. And now that I'm being serious you're all taking the ****.
Maybe we should have a "Poll: should polls have jokey icons for the humour-challenged" poll. Or a "Poll: should we have a Poll about polls having jokey icons..." poll. Or...

Or maybe I should get some work done. :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
28th-June-2005, 11:52 AM
Seeing as no-ones voted for the first option yet, it looks like members of this Forum's Strop Squad don't want to engage. Come on guys (and girls), I know you're there! Be out and proud!

Andy McGregor
28th-June-2005, 12:10 PM
Seeing as no-ones voted for the first option yet, it looks like members of this Forum's Strop Squad don't want to engage. Come on guys (and girls), I know you're there! Be out and proud!There are two kinds of stroppyness out here. The kind that has direction: that says "it shouldn't be like that it should be like this": then there's the undirected kind "I don't like what you're saying and it makes me stroppy". IMHO the second type has only one direction, and that is to lessen the author of the post you're complaining about in the eyes of the unwashed of the Forum. Also it has a sub-text and that sub-text is "who's with me on this?" or "do you want to be in my gang?", to quote a discredited king of glitter.

El Salsero Gringo
28th-June-2005, 12:18 PM
There are two kinds of stroppyness out here. The kind that has direction: that says "it shouldn't be like that it should be like this": then there's the undirected kind "I don't like what you're saying and it makes me stroppy". IMHO the second type has only one direction, and that is to lessen the author of the post you're complaining about in the eyes of the unwashed of the Forum. Also it has a sub-text and that sub-text is "who's with me on this?" or "do you want to be in my gang?", to quote a discredited king of glitter.What I had in mind were the members of the "I got really upset/offended because he/she said/told me xxxxx" gang - or better still, the "He/she said that? Wow - I'd be really offended if I were you" posse. Saying "it shouldn't be like that" doesn't of itself count as stroppy I don't think.

Maybe some members of the Strop Squad need to be outed...

MartinHarper
28th-June-2005, 12:27 PM
Seeing as no-ones voted for the first option yet, it looks like members of this Forum's Strop Squad don't want to engage. ..

It would appear that they're all pathologically damaged...
(statistics can prove anything, eh?)

Andy McGregor
28th-June-2005, 12:39 PM
Maybe some members of the Strop Squad need to be outed...But wouldn't that make them a bit stroppy? :innocent:

DianaS
28th-June-2005, 01:16 PM
What I had in mind were the members of the "I got really upset/offended because he/she said/told me xxxxx" gang - or better still, the "He/she said that? Wow - I'd be really offended if I were you" posse. Saying "it shouldn't be like that" doesn't of itself count as stroppy I don't think.

Maybe some members of the Strop Squad need to be outed...
Di thinks
God When did I last post and how hot is it??
actually when did I last dance and how hot was that
and then when did I last s**** and was that at all hot?
and why don't I get gossipped about or criticised or any thing
I FEEL so insignificant I'lkl have to have a row with some one so every one will watch and take sides and I can cry or feel brave, but hsi is all just words and I'm a teapot :tears:
PS fingers getting bettter not that any one has asked.. :mad:
and I've had no rep good or bad for AGES

Life sucks
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]

Sheepman
28th-June-2005, 03:07 PM
What are you doing with Sheepman under your jumper? Still nothing! :tears:

Baaaa.

Lory
28th-June-2005, 03:39 PM
[SIZE=1]and then when did I last s**** and was that at all hot?

What did everyone else make of this disguised word, the two words that sprang to my mind both have only 3*s

One, I can probably be quite sure was hot (and probably steamy :sick: ) and the other, well, who knows??? :wink: :whistle:

Come on, she's begging us to gossip!

CJ
28th-June-2005, 03:46 PM
What did everyone else make of this disguised word, the two words that sprang to my mind both have only 3*s

One, I can probably be quite sure was hot (and probably steamy :sick: ) and the other, well, who knows??? :wink: :whistle:

I figure they'd both be hot and steamy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But with that amount of *****, I assumed it was "sweat".

Anyway, my Dear Di.

Stop yer whingin!! You're beginning to sound like McGregor! (who, incidentally IS the biggest pro-abortion argument this country has.)

Anyway, am sending you a big two finger salute!!!!

Give me your best reply, woman!!

Dance Demon
28th-June-2005, 03:49 PM

Ah......the first one could have 4 *s if you add an e........then again maybe I'm just talking s***........ :D

Lou
28th-June-2005, 03:50 PM
and why don't I get gossipped about or criticised or any thing
oi missus. I gossiped about you yesterday (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129024)

Jeez Louise! This place is full of drama queens! How am I ever supposed to cope dealing with such amateurs?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

latinlover
28th-June-2005, 04:06 PM

yeah but Diana IS the female gadget when it comes to spelling , so she could have meant ANYTHING!

DianaS
28th-June-2005, 04:40 PM
I figure they'd both be hot and steamy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But with that amount of *****, I assumed it was "sweat".

Anyway, my Dear Di.

Stop yer whingin!! You're beginning to sound like McGregor! (who, incidentally IS the biggest pro-abortion argument this country has.)

Anyway, am sending you a big two finger salute!!!!

Give me your best reply, woman!!
No bodies going to tell me that I'm all mouth and no trousers :devil:
There too much of all that around here :mad:
My fingers still stumpy and won't type right
In any case you winging southerners probably wouldn't know a s**** if it hit you in the face...
and your 've probably never had one either
Your SO pathetic dance you dance smoothly
how sad is that! :rofl:
don't you know northern lads have bouncy hands cas it makes our t*Ts jiggle? :rofl: :rofl:
They are REAL men..
don't eat quiche...
and bounce and s**** us proper
:devil:
Response please
AND I WANT REP :cheers:

CJ
28th-June-2005, 04:42 PM
No bodies going to tell me that I'm all mouth and no trousers :devil:

Rightly so...

I've been led to believe that if you were no trousers, you'd be all lips!! :whistle:

David Bailey
28th-June-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, I'm thinking female Gadget now also...

And:

In any case you winging southerners probably wouldn't know a s**** if it hit you in the face...
Totally. I don't know what it is on the screen. :tears:

OK, what the h*ll is s****? :confused: :confused:

DianaS
28th-June-2005, 04:45 PM
Well, I'm thinking female Gadget now also...

And:

Totally. I don't know what it is on the screen. :tears:

OK, what the h*ll is s****? :confused: :confused:
See you don't know
and I'm not telling till my rep hits 100 :whistle:
I'll provide pictures :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
28th-June-2005, 05:10 PM
See you don't know
and I'm not telling till my rep hits 100 :whistle:
I'll provide pictures :devil:
well ok then...but I cant give you anymore rep :)

Andy McGregor
28th-June-2005, 05:43 PM
Stop yer whingin!! You're beginning to sound like McGregor! (who, incidentally IS the biggest pro-abortion argument this country has.)Does CJ mean the whole clan or just one member of it? This from a guy that's so inexperienced as a DJ he can't leave the decks for a second, even for a pi55 :sick:

Lory
28th-June-2005, 05:59 PM
don't you know northern lads have bouncy hands cas it makes our t*Ts jiggle? :rofl: :rofl:
They are REAL men..
don't eat quiche...
:devil:

<Lory gasps> :really: ooh Diana, that's rude! :innocent:

I did wonder why Angelique moved oop there :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
28th-June-2005, 06:09 PM
OK, what the h*ll is s****? :confused: :confused:Whatever it is, I'll bet a donkey can do it to Di's satisfaction. Out of the way boys, I'm a comin' through.

David Bailey
28th-June-2005, 06:24 PM
he can't leave the decks for a second, even for a pi55 :sick:
Is that like a Scots version of a P45?

I mean, I know he's clearly useless, but sacking him seems a bit extreme in the middle of a set... Who knows, he might take vicious revenge by playing, say, "Brown Eyed Girl" :eek: Can you take the chance?

Nick M
28th-June-2005, 06:36 PM
don't you know northern lads have bouncy hands cas it makes our t*Ts jiggle?

Reminds me of the joke ....

Q
How do you tittilate an ocelot?

A
You oscillate its tits a lot

jockey
29th-June-2005, 08:26 PM

If I weren't so laid back and tolerant, I'd be really offended.
Hola E. S. G!
Be aware that once the writer has written and published it matters not one jot what he intended - the text takes on its own life independent of the author and can be interpreted and criticised (praise is included in that concept) by others according to what they find in it. They have to make their comments stick with the use of argument - as ever.
Do you want to know what gets my goat? Refusals in freestyle and I am contemplating constructing a case against the guilty; make no mistake it will be powerful...but will I be taken seriously E. S, G.? Do you know what "hola" means in what language or are you a complete imposter... :rofl:

angelique
29th-June-2005, 11:50 PM
<Lory gasps> :really: ooh Diana, that's rude! :innocent:

I did wonder why Angelique moved oop there :rofl:

OIY!!! :eek:

I'll have you knwo I'm a GOOd girl I am...go to church every Sunday! :whistle:

Don't know what you on about!........ :rofl:
Someone P.M me?

Whitebeard
30th-June-2005, 12:09 AM
..... by playing, say, "Brown Eyed Girl" .....
I wish - just now and then.

David Bailey
30th-June-2005, 09:10 AM
I suppose. I mean, we all need an opportunity to go to the bar sometime. Maybe that's a cunning plan - play awful tracks so that the bar takings rise?

Hmmm, that could explain some DJs :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-June-2005, 12:18 PM
Hola E. S. G!
Be aware that once the writer has written and published it matters not one jot what he intended - the text takes on its own life independent of the author and can be interpreted and criticised (praise is included in that concept) by others according to what they find in it. They have to make their comments stick with the use of argument - as ever.
Do you want to know what gets my goat? Refusals in freestyle and I am contemplating constructing a case against the guilty; make no mistake it will be powerful...but will I be taken seriously E. S, G.? Do you know what "hola" means in what language or are you a complete imposter... :rofl:Hola Jockey, sÃ*, estoy impostor, pero hablo un poco Espagnol también.

Why do refusals get you so worked up? Looking forward to hearing your case...

Lou
30th-June-2005, 12:23 PM
Come down our way. :)

btw... John got it pretty much right on Monday. Although he could've brought Tu Es Foutu forward by just one song to make it absolutely perfect.

DianaS
30th-June-2005, 04:28 PM
Rightly so...

I've been led to believe that if you were no trousers, you'd be all lips!! :whistle:
CJ you smooth talker
Guess one day you'll meet your princeess

CJ
30th-June-2005, 04:33 PM
CJ you smooth talker
Guess one day you'll meet your princeess

DianaS,

you ARE my princess!! :flower:

DianaS
30th-June-2005, 04:38 PM
DianaS,

you ARE my princess!! :flower:

:blush:

Northants Girly
30th-June-2005, 04:47 PM
DianaS,

you ARE my princess!! :flower: :tears: :tears: :tears:

She's just the wicked sister! :devil:

I'm your princess! :flower: :flower:

CJ
30th-June-2005, 04:50 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears:

She's just the wicked sister! :devil:

I'm your princess! :flower: :flower:

NG,

you are my Queen.

:wink:

DianaS
30th-June-2005, 05:13 PM
NG,

you are my Queen.

:wink:
Queen of tarts!! :devil: :rofl:

Whitebeard
30th-June-2005, 10:24 PM
John got it pretty much right on Monday. Although he could've brought Tu Es Foutu forward by just one song to make it absolutely perfect.
Crikey Lou, you must be way tuned in and with it to be so picky as to notice a track slightly out of order.

To me its just a wall of sound with the occasional open doorway beckoning me in. No disrespect to the music maker, I'm just a crabby old fart.

And thanks for the introduction and dances, at least I didn't step on your sneakilly shod toes ;-))

Lory
30th-June-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm just a crabby old fart.

:rolleyes: Don't ya just hate people who brag about themselves! :sick: :whistle:

Whitebeard
30th-June-2005, 11:14 PM
Don't ya just hate people who brag about themselves!
'twas true.

I'm mortified that you hate me. I guess that amounts to a refusal. ;-)

Andy McGregor
1st-July-2005, 02:55 PM
Hola Jockey, sÃ*, estoy impostor, pero hablo un poco Espagnol también.

Why do refusals get you so worked up? Looking forward to hearing your case...
Jockey is busy translating the first part of ESG's post so I'll answer for him.

Refusals at a dance class are personal. A woman has come to a dance class for the specific purpose of dancing. If she turns you down it's not because she doesn't want to dance, it's because she doesn't want to dance with YOU IN PARTICULAR!