PDA

View Full Version : Meeeoowwww....well so much for the Lions roar! :(

MouthoftheSouth
25th-June-2005, 11:55 AM
I must confess I started to wonder when I realised the AB pack outweighed the Lion's "massive" one by 10kg, and it all went straight downhill from there!

Now don't get me wrong - we love to see Sir Clive eat his words, but apart from that this Lions tour was expected to be a real challenge - England won the WC, Wales won the 6-Nations, and the Super 12 has been derided as "touch football" by some folks.......admit it - you know who you are!! :D

The Nthn Hemisphere pack was expected to be all over our blokes - who were expected not to know how to scrummage properly, and the Lions starting hooker, whoever he was, was supposed to be the most accurate lineout thrower in the world.

Johnny did pretty well, but he was pretty much the only decent effort from the whole team all night.

I'd been hoping the "A" team would put up a good fight - while still loosing of course ;) - the "B" teams have been less than impressive vs various low ranked provinces - but we were assured the "A" team was so much better!

I think we might be wanting refunds after tonight - I bet the cost of tickets on the auction web sites drops through the floor!!

Graham W
25th-June-2005, 03:34 PM
It ain't over ....

ok, screw it i'll be watching the cricket highlights instead

G

Allez-Cat
25th-June-2005, 11:31 PM
Disappointing, my friend, disappointing. Most of us hoped for something a little extra: nothing new there then. Dysfunctional line-out, wasteful kicking out-of-hand, half-a-yard off the mark at the breakdown and a tendency to over-egg the omelette when they did get possession.

However, a couple of flashes of brilliance give rise to the thought that the re-match at the Cake Tin might just fire the Lions up. I hope so, I'd hate for a Kiwi whitewash!

All said and done, a stunning performance from the Blacks, especially in the second half once they really began to believe they were winning. Congrats.

Stuart
26th-June-2005, 07:30 PM
What the Lions need to do to turn it around next week is to make sure that they get possession, which means that they have to win their own line out ball. Something they conspicuously failed to do in this match

Without this they will always be on the back foot.

MouthoftheSouth
27th-June-2005, 04:50 AM
Of course - you can't do anything without the ball! :)

However hte Lions did have 40-something% of possession on Sat night - but then they often just kicked it away - they seemed bereft of attacking optoins.

So having the ball is only part of the formla - doing something useful with it is a pretty important part too!

Magic Hans
27th-June-2005, 04:58 PM
... like any temporary side, professional or not, there is always going to be some manner of settling in to be done. Some sides will do this better than others. The barbarians is a classic (and more extreme) example.

For rugby's sake, I hope that this Lions side begins to get it together before too long!!

Dizzy
28th-June-2005, 09:16 AM
It's such a shame about O'Driscoll too. He has been building up his career for this moment and then gets injured 45 seconds into the game!!

He will be a big loss to the side for the coming games as he is one of the more powerful players. Let us hope that Sir Clive can pull something spectacular out of his hat for next saturday!!

MouthoftheSouth
2nd-July-2005, 10:34 AM
Good to see the Lions playing much better than last week - and I had a few beeers with some of the Barmy Army at the pub aftre class on Thursday - but bloody hell - that AB performance was sublime.

Not even the substandard refereeing (for & agaisnt both sides) could take the shine off it.

Shame it wasn't at the World Cup tho - seems we always peak at hte wrong times!!