PDA

View Full Version : smiley face or sour face?

wicked blue
24th-June-2005, 07:00 PM
I was at Fulham last night and saw one particular woman dancing with a face like thunder, it wasn't just the one dance either - everytime i saw her she had the same expression on her face! The guys appeared totally unfazed by it!

So to you guys out there whats the general consensus? Does it bother you if the girl your dancing with looks really miserable? And would you ask her again?

Dazzle
24th-June-2005, 07:31 PM
I know of similar such women. Some I know are like that and you just accept them as they are. Although, if they are so miserable why are they there if they are not enjoying themselves. :confused:

Others look like this if certain partners are not present or free. Often I quiz a lady as to why she looks unhappy, in the VERY unlikely event I have upset her :waycool:. The common answer is quite frequently that she is simply concentrating so hard! :innocent:

Anyone else encountered such creatures of the dance floor?

bigdjiver
24th-June-2005, 08:03 PM
I was at Fulham last night and saw one particular woman dancing with a face like thunder, it wasn't just the one dance either - everytime i saw her she had the same expression on her face! The guys appeared totally unfazed by it!

So to you guys out there whats the general consensus? Does it bother you if the girl your dancing with looks really miserable? And would you ask her again?I take it as a challenge, and try to extract a smile.

David Bailey
25th-June-2005, 11:35 AM
It can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference between a serious-concentration face and a miserable-beggar face.

For me, mainly, the difference is the SC face people will smile after the dance and say thanks (or possibly some other word :) ), but MB face people will retain their look of disdain.

So I think it's usually best to give people the benefit of the doubt until the dance finishes... :)

LMC
25th-June-2005, 11:43 AM
It can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference between a serious-concentration face and a miserable-beggar face.

For me, mainly, the difference is the SC face people will smile after the dance and say thanks (or possibly some other word :) ), but MB face people will retain their look of disdain.
:yeah:

If I'm dancing with someone way above my 'level' then I quite often have to concentrate to follow the lead!

but I get asked to dance more when I smile :D so I try to remember

Dizzy
27th-June-2005, 01:27 PM

So to you guys out there whats the general consensus? Does it bother you if the girl your dancing with looks really miserable? And would you ask her again?

I was at Fulham on Thursday night, I hope you are not talking about me!! :tears:

I do try and make a conscious effort to smile at the man I am dancing with even through the concentration of the dance but most of the time, I am enjoying myself so much that a smile comes onto my face naturally.. :D

The next time that you are at Fulham, we shall have to have a dance together to make for miserable face!! :flower:

jivecat
27th-June-2005, 01:42 PM
Although, if they are so miserable why are they there if they are not enjoying themselves. :confused:

Well, you don't know if you are going to enjoy youself until you are already there! I guess they could just leave, but this would surely be a last resort?

The common answer is quite frequently that she is simply concentrating so hard! :innocent:

:yeah: If I get a slightly sarcastic "You are allowed to smile, you know", that's usually the cue for my dancing to completely fall apart as my brain struggles unsuccessfully with the necessary multi-tasking!

Anyone else encountered such creatures of the dance floor?

Oh, yes. Some men are miserable beggars as well. Sometimes I forgive them if the poor dear looks like he can't help it, sometimes it turns into a challenge, sometimes I don't dance with them again. Just depends on how grumpy I'M feeling on the night. I don't think I've done this myself, but I've got various friends who claim to have confronted miserable-looking partners and suggested terminating the dance forthwith in view of their (apparent) lack of interest and enjoyment. Usually results in a terrified and flustered dance partner, from what I can gather.

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 01:52 PM
I was at Fulham on Thursday night, I hope you are not talking about me!! :tears:

I have been told off many times for frowning during dancing (including once this weekend- :blush: colour me ashamed)- I do make an effort to smile, and it's never a problem when I'm dancing with someone I know and get on with, but the truth is that when I'm dancing with someone much better than me, I find it difficult to smile AND concentrate on what I'm doing- so if I'm not smiling when you dance with me, that's probably why.

Unless the song is rather grim- last night at MJC they played what I think is a Nick Cave song- 'I like my town with a little drop of poison' and I didn't smile in that one, and was then told "Thanks for the grimmest dance I had all evening". I hope the guy was part joking, because I really didn't mean to offend him by not smiling, and it was a bit embarassing to have it put in quite that way.

Dizzy
27th-June-2005, 02:09 PM

I do try and make a conscious effort to smile at the man I am dancing with even through the concentration of the dance but most of the time, I am enjoying myself so much that a smile comes onto my face naturally.. :D

The next time that you are at Fulham, we shall have to have a dance together to make for miserable face!! :flower:

jivecat
27th-June-2005, 02:09 PM

the truth is that when I'm dancing with someone much better than me, I find it difficult to smile AND concentrate on what I'm doing- so if I'm not smiling when you dance with me, that's probably why.
So it's actually a kind of compliment, then. :grin:

Unless the song is rather grim- last night at MJC they played what I think is a Nick Cave song- 'I like my town with a little drop of poison' and I didn't smile in that one, and was then told "Thanks for the grimmest dance I had all evening". I hope the guy was part joking, because I really didn't mean to offend him by not smiling, and it was a bit embarassing to have it put in quite that way.

That is just so totally rude and offensive. It would have ruined my evening to be spoken to like that. Luckily, people with such appalling manners are rare in Ceroc, and I hope it didn't bother you too much. :hug:

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 02:12 PM
So it's actually a kind of compliment, then. :grin:

Exactly! I'd rather try and give someone a good dance by not mucking up their moves because I'm too busy smiling to concentrate. But that doesn't mean that if I'm smiling, you're not a great dancer! That tends to be the other reason I smile- that I'm enjoying myself.

That is just so totally rude and offensive. It would have ruined my evening to be spoken to like that. Luckily, people with such appalling manners are rare in Ceroc, and I hope it didn't bother you too much. :hug:

Naw, not really- I'd had too good a time to care (mainly thanks to PeteK :flower: and Tessalicious :flower: )

bigdjiver
27th-June-2005, 02:35 PM
One of my treasured moments was at Jongluers in Clapham. I was not having a good night because it was too hot and crowded. I decided to pick the most miserable looking lady and see if I could raise a smile. I succeeded, and got her giggling. At the end of the dance she came up to me and thanked me profusely. Apparantly she had just broken up with her boyfriend. :tears:

It is part of the reason I dance, turning frowns to smiles.

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 02:44 PM
:yeah: If I get a slightly sarcastic "You are allowed to smile, you know", that's usually the cue for my dancing to completely fall apart as my brain struggles unsuccessfully with the necessary multi-tasking!
You know, that sort of comment really hacks me off - I feel like saying something pithy such as "I would - with other people". But I don't, possibly because I'm a Nice Person, but more likely because I don't think of a witty comeback in time :blush:

I don't think I've done this myself, but I've got various friends who claim to have confronted miserable-looking partners and suggested terminating the dance forthwith in view of their (apparent) lack of interest and enjoyment. Usually results in a terrified and flustered dance partner, from what I can gather.
Blimey, that's way too confrontational for me.

Although, if it is the case that I'm dancing with a genuinely-miserable beggar, I'll not ask her again, that's for sure - vote with my feet.

It does annoy me when I'm dancing with someone who clearly isn't enjoying the experience*, looking around themselves in clear boredom, clearly counting the seconds till the end of the song. I may occasionally have been guilty of pulling a Straightjacket on these people just to force them to pay attention... :whistle:

* Some would say, "that includes most people", but I shall rise above such malicious innunendo.

MartinHarper
27th-June-2005, 02:45 PM
Unless the song is rather grim- last night at MJC they played what I think is a Nick Cave song- 'I like my town with a little drop of poison' and I didn't smile in that one, and was then told "Thanks for the grimmest dance I had all evening".

It's nice to hear people recognising good musical interpretation. It always seems odd to see folks grinning like ninnies through sad songs, and I'm as guilty of that as everyone else.

CJ
27th-June-2005, 02:49 PM
On this subject, can someone have a discreet word with Franck??

He is the most sour-pussed grotface I've ever seen on a dance floor ever.

ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, he's even grumpier than Lory. See trying to make him smile..... :tears:

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 02:51 PM
It's nice to hear people recognising good musical interpretation. It always seems odd to see folks grinning like ninnies through sad songs, and I'm as guilty of that as everyone else.

Wow, thanks! I figured it was a quite Tango kind of piece, so it needed me to look serious. Glad people don't always misinterpret that as anything other than musicality.

jivecat
27th-June-2005, 05:39 PM
You know, that sort of comment really hacks me off - I feel like saying something pithy such as "I would - with other people". But I don't, possibly because I'm a Nice Person, but more likely because I don't think of a witty comeback in time :blush:

[/SIZE]

When people have said to me "Cheer up, it may never happen" I reply by sighing lugubriously and saying "It already has, actually." But it never goes down well! :D

Daisy Chain
27th-June-2005, 08:18 PM
When people have said to me "Cheer up, it may never happen" I reply by sighing lugubriously and saying "It already has, actually." But it never goes down well! :D

:yeah: If I'm in a good mood, my riposte is "But this is my happy face. you should see me when I'm miserable". If I'm not in a good mood, I have a varied repertoire of withering looks and cutting comments at my disposal.

Daisy

(A Cheerful Little Flower [until someone tells her to cheer up])

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 08:29 PM
Yes, but that's not as bad as someone saying "Oh come on, it can't be that bad"... :mad:

Gadget
27th-June-2005, 10:18 PM
I got a verbal slapping in the early days of this forum for saying that I found the glasgow dancers didn't smile much.. but perhaps at that time it was just my dancing: there is a lot more of my dancing to laugh at now. :flower:

I always try to make my partner at least stop frowning - what's more disconcerting is the 'panicked bunny' look I get from some ladies:what: and it's nothing to do with dips or drops! :confused::tears:

David Bailey
28th-June-2005, 08:29 AM
what's more disconcerting is the 'panicked bunny' look I get from some ladies:what: and it's nothing to do with dips or drops! :confused::tears:
I dunno, sometimes that's quite fun... Again, I get that a lot with the Straightjacket, a very versatile move :)

Trousers
28th-June-2005, 08:52 AM
Its quite heartening to read this thread.

I'm known locally as someone who smiles little, oh it does happen and I've apparently got a nice smile but sometimes smiling is just not important to you yourself. You can be having a great dance with a lovely woman without a smile (I'm not saying I hold a permanent grimmace, well I hope, just not a big manic grin) and indeed you may have the biggest 'smile on the inside' but it just doesn't make it to the corners of your lips. Is that so bad methinx?

I've been told by some lovely ladies that they deliberately go wrong to raise a smile in me. I suppose that it's tension then and the impromtu mistake lifts the edge on the tension and voila - a smile! But it is true surely that some dances, some tunes need tension between the partners to make it all work.

Here's a thought for you all though - We all know we supposedly smile if we are happy. There was some investigation done into smiling and it was found that the mere act of forcing your face into a smile will initiate feelings of happiness. (Hitches face it to the biggest smile one can muster)
Also if you watch someone smile and the lines at the side of the eyes don't crease at the same time as the smile the smile is fake.

Daisy Chain
28th-June-2005, 11:52 AM
Here's a thought for you all though - We all know we supposedly smile if we are happy. There was some investigation done into smiling and it was found that the mere act of forcing your face into a smile will initiate feelings of happiness.

Didn't I read somewhere that if a baby smiles, it's because it has wind?

Daisy

(A Glum Little Flower)

JoC
28th-June-2005, 12:25 PM
the Straightjacket, a very versatile move :)
I'm not sure which move this one is, is your partner facing you whilst in the straightjacket or are you standing behind...?

Lory
28th-June-2005, 12:33 PM
The minute I don't smile, even for a second, :what: I get questioned, are you OK? don't you feel well? are you worried about something? has someone upset you?

99% of the time I'm fine, I'm just trying to give the wrinkles a little rest!! :sick: :wink:

Gadget
28th-June-2005, 12:39 PM
Also if you watch someone smile and the lines at the side of the eyes don't crease at the same time as the smile the smile is fake.
...and if you screw up the outside of your eyes a bit (squint as if there is a bright light) while doing a 'fake' smile, it can look real :innocent: :D

{...or evil :devil:}

Lee
28th-June-2005, 01:34 PM

An interesting topic, i am always told that i don't smile enough, but firstly I'm concentrating on my moves and I'm probably not a smiley person anyway. :waycool:

I've heard 2 instances in the last year where people have lost a family member and not come to ceroc for a while and on the first day back been told the've a face like a wet weekend. :(

I don't think people should make comments about others if they don't know them very well, at the end of the day knowone knows whats going on in other people lives to come up with a sarcasic comment like that, its only one dance, if you don't enjoy it, just don't dance with them again it no big deal....but to make someone feel even lower than they already are is not very nice. :tears:

Also to say 'that was my worst dance this evening' is downright rude :mad:

I don't mind dancing with ladies that don't smile, it's just makes you work harder to do find a move they like and to make their dance with you a nice one. if they do smile :D you know they don't do it that often and it's all because of you.

Lee :na:

MartinHarper
28th-June-2005, 04:09 PM
To say 'that was my worst dance this evening' is downright rude

Do you know of anyone who's ever said that?

Lee
28th-June-2005, 04:45 PM
Do you know of anyone who's ever said that?

On page one, Purple Sparkler made a comment where someone said 'Thanks for the grimmest dance I had all evening'

I have heard ladies getting impatient with guys trying out their new moves and speaking their mind (again which is kinda rude).

Lee

Minnie M
28th-June-2005, 04:56 PM
The minute I don't smile, even for a second, :what: I get questioned, are you OK? don't you feel well? are you worried about something? has someone upset you?
:yeah: I get that all the time too :blush:

David Bailey
28th-June-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure which move this one is, is your partner facing you whilst in the straightjacket or are you standing behind...?
Wibble.... :grin:

JoC
28th-June-2005, 06:03 PM
Wibble.... :grin:
Thanks for clearing that one up for me :flower:

wicked blue
28th-June-2005, 06:13 PM

I'm not sure - i don't know what you look like!! :rolleyes:

wicked blue
28th-June-2005, 06:21 PM
I guess there is always the issue of concentration which can take up a large proportion of your attention if the moves are somewhat tricky, but yet i still think that it doesn't take that much to give a smile once or maybe just twice whilst dancing!

If the reason that people don't smile is because their concentrating so hard then the lady that i saw must have had serious brain ache by the end of the evening!!! :eek:

marty_baby
28th-June-2005, 07:18 PM
What about people who smile like cheshire cats all night long when dancing? :whistle: :D

Is it a plus point? or a bit off putting? :na:

I dunno about this all though. Everyone is different. Some people smile alot, some don't at all... it dosen't mean they are not smiling inside and having fun.

I blindly guessing here... but if the lady is in tears by the end of the dance.... that may be a bad sign....!!! :o

Martin

PS:
Nice to see you at Hammersmith last night Wicked! :hug: :nice:

MartinHarper
29th-June-2005, 12:26 AM
Purple Sparkler made a comment where someone said 'Thanks for the grimmest dance I had all evening'

"Grimmest" is not "worst" (particularly when the song is grim, and the dancing is reflecting that).
Sure, some of us are less tactful than others (...) but let's not exaggerate things too much, eh?

JoC
29th-June-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm thinking smiling seems ties in with eye contact...? If you're making direct eye contact with your partner who is hopefully smiling it must be hard not to smile too, no?

If I have a not very smiley partner I always hope when I catch their eye they might be encouraged to smile. Similarly I think if I've been off in my own world for a few seconds concentrating on whatever...that as soon as I catch their eye again it brings a smile to my face. I think.

:)

Just Wiggle
29th-June-2005, 02:04 PM
If I have a not very smiley partner I always hope when I catch their eye they might be encouraged to smile. Similarly I think if I've been off in my own world for a few seconds concentrating on whatever...that as soon as I catch their eye again it brings a smile to my face. I think.

Smile never hurts anyone and it is easier to smile when you have someone actually looking at you!

Its a bit off putting when the person you are dancing with seems to be looking around the room and everywhere else other than at your face or is that just me?? Or is that someone trying to tell me something???

Donna
29th-June-2005, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE]The common answer is quite frequently that she is simply concentrating so hard![QUOTE/]

That's me!!!!!! That's what I find hard to do in comps because you're just concentrating so damn hard!!!! Maybe I should paint a smile on my face next time!!! or...slit the sides of my mouth. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JoC
30th-June-2005, 10:03 AM
Maybe I should paint a smile on my face next time!!! or...slit the sides of my mouth. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Scared now...this thread just turned sinister...