PDA

View Full Version : A little less conversation a little more action please

JoC
24th-June-2005, 06:42 PM
Is there a polite way to ask your partner to 'zip it and dance baby', or am I being an intolerant and antisocial monster?

Just remembered I am evil JoC now so I don't need to be polite!!! :D

Trousers
24th-June-2005, 06:55 PM
JOC I think you hit it already

'zip it and dance baby'

But remember to smile!

Works for me

JoC
24th-June-2005, 07:04 PM
That's all the encouragement I need, thankee kind Trousers. :hug: (evil)

I feel a slogan t-shirt coming on then I can just point.

MartinHarper
24th-June-2005, 08:30 PM
Is there a polite way to ask your partner to 'zip it and dance baby'?

If it's me, then "zip it and dance baby" will be lovely, and I'll do my best. For folks who require more delicate handling, "I can't hear you properly over the music - may we chat later?" works, provided you do actually chat with them later.

Personally, I like both. Chatting is nice because it takes the pressure off the dancing, so it's kinda chilled. Sadly, I often struggle to converse over the general hubbub of a freestyle. Not chatting is nice because I can focus on the dancing - but I wouldn't want to be focused like that all night. A mix is best.

Gadget
24th-June-2005, 08:32 PM
Is there a polite way to ask your partner to 'zip it and dance baby', or am I being an intolerant and antisocial monster?I just put them into complex moves where they have to pay attention, or multiple spins, or really fast stuff so they are too out of breath to dance :devil:

{But it could be said "so how does that differ from your usual dancing then?" :rolleyes:}

ducasi
24th-June-2005, 11:06 PM
When my partner insists on holding an extended conversation, it can be hard for me to be more creative in my dancing, so I usually find myself saying something like "sorry about those three yo-yos in a row, but I'm finding it difficult to talk and dance at the same time". :nice:

It seems to work, but maybe as I improve I'll have to find a new way to tell people to "zip it and dance baby"...

I think though that the average woman might just take that badly, while the average guy will silently thank you. No? :innocent:

Jon L
25th-June-2005, 12:30 AM
WIth more experienced dancers and teachers I occasionally like to have a natter if the music isn't overpowering when actually dancing the moves.

Sometimes this is impossible, but on slower bluesy tracks I can do it often, and it' quite nice to do occasionally.

This plan of action is not recomended for beginners or less experienced dancers.

frodo
25th-June-2005, 01:19 AM
Is there a polite way to ask your partner to 'zip it and dance baby', or am I being an intolerant and antisocial monster?

Just remembered I am evil JoC now so I don't need to be polite!!! :D

One unquestionable benefit of conversation on the dancefloor is to obscure an inability (or perhaps unwillingness) to dance (well) in a certain situations :devil:

You could always make a (deliberate) mistake and say something to the effect that you'd better concentrate.

Trousers
25th-June-2005, 01:42 AM
A few words 'Hello, how are you' etc etc are fine . . . . well acceptable but stuff like 'What did you think of Blair at the G8 today' would really get my dander up!

Sometimes this is impossible, but on slower bluesy tracks I can do it often, and it' quite nice to do occasionally.

And in the bluesy tracks WHAT???? You've selected your victim from the available wallflowers. You are going to try to turn on Mr. Smooth and give this woman the benefit of all those hours infront of the bathroom mirror practicing interesting and attactive faces, as well as total eye contact with no blinking. and you are going to let her chat?

Down on yours knees boy and repent!

Jon L
25th-June-2005, 02:03 AM
And in the bluesy tracks WHAT???? You've selected your victim from the available wallflowers. You are going to try to turn on Mr. Smooth and give this woman the benefit of all those hours infront of the bathroom mirror practicing interesting and attactive faces, as well as total eye contact with no blinking. and you are going to let her chat?

Down on yours knees boy and repent!
:rofl:

JoC
26th-June-2005, 01:22 PM
"sorry about those three yo-yos in a row, but I'm finding it difficult to talk and dance at the same time". :nice:Trouble is, as you're doing yoyos your partner probably only hears "sorry about tho...blarble burble...ame time" so you have to do 6 yoyos to get the sentence completed.

average woman :confused:

I think it's an acquired skill if you're going to insist, but you need to be doing the right kind of dance, nice and close and keep the sentences short! At the moment I can't even say 'Perth and Dundee' without having to repeat three times.

New t-shirt says "on completion of dance, report: name, regular venue, preferred dance style, whether your dance with me was pleasing then move swiftly and smartly away".

Until I get experienced!

ducasi
26th-June-2005, 01:45 PM
average woman :confused: Of course, my mistake! :tears: While we're all average guys, each and every woman is special in her own magical way. :flower:

I think it's an acquired skill if you're going to insist, but you need to be doing the right kind of dance, nice and close and keep the sentences short! I'm quite ...

good at ...

punctuating ...

my sentences ...

with lots ...

of pauses ...

when needed!

It goes well with being a slow thinker!

Otherwise, basket walks are good. :nice:

New t-shirt says "on completion of dance, report: name, regular venue, preferred dance style, whether your dance with me was pleasing then move swiftly and smartly away". Can I have one that says the same but ends with "... unless you're cute"? :nice: :wink:

DavidY
26th-June-2005, 11:07 PM
New t-shirt says "on completion of dance, report: name, regular venue, preferred dance style, whether your dance with me was pleasing then move swiftly and smartly away. Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes... ".But surely no gentleman would stare at a lady's chest for the long time you'd need to read such a message? :confused: :innocent:

MartinHarper
27th-June-2005, 12:02 AM
But surely no gentleman would stare at a lady's chest for the long time you'd need to read such a message? :confused: :innocent:

Hey - I'm just trying to follow her "center" :)

RogerR
27th-June-2005, 07:49 AM
Too much talking spoils a whole dance, No talking spoils a whole evening. In my opinion the advantage of the MJ style and format is that a stranger can walk in and be among friends because the dance style is shared, then there is the opportunity to make friends and chat.

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 08:52 AM
When I started, I used to be silent and frowning all the time - concentrating, not miserable - although admittedly it was sometimes difficult to tell the difference...

I then went through a garrolous phase, when I made small talk during every dance, asking names, all that stuff - possibly even more annoying than before.

I've now mainly reverted to the Strong and Silent (well, Silent) treatment, and just usually say "Hi" at the start of a dance, "Thanks" at the end, plus the occasional sorry for mistakes, etc. But at least I'm smiling now instead of frowning :)

I've no idea what the etiquette is for other people - but I just feel dancing is dancing, and talking is talking, and I'm generally too stupid to do two different things at the same time...

JoC
27th-June-2005, 09:38 AM
But surely no gentleman would stare at a lady's chest for the long time you'd need to read such a message? :confused: :innocent:
Oi!

Perhaps I could write it on Wonderwoman style cuffs then.

I'd say hat but I'm not hat standard yet.

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 09:47 AM
Perhaps I could write it on Wonderwoman style cuffs then.

Hmmm, staring at wrists to read it. Can't see it somehow.
I know, get a caveat form, print out doxens of disclaimers, get each partner to read and sign them before each dance. That sounds much more practical.

I'd say hat but I'm not hat standard yet.
:confused: Whassat then? Is there a hat-wearing clique?

JoC
27th-June-2005, 09:57 AM
:confused: Whassat then? Is there a hat-wearing clique?
Don't think it's a clique, just a lot of skill required keeping hat on head and dancing at same time...

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 10:22 AM
Don't think it's a clique, just a lot of skill required keeping hat on head and dancing at same time...
Hmmm, so wearing hats is desirable then? :confused:

I'm not convinced they look good - especially on ladies. Men, OK, covering our faces is usually a Good Idea, and we don't move about (in theory) so much as our partners. But for the ladeez, I think they look nicer hatless...

MartinHarper
27th-June-2005, 11:16 AM
Is there a hat-wearing clique?

It's like black and white shoes, high-waist trousers, braces, vintage clothing generally, skirts and dresses over trousers, T-shirts with dancing slogans, and all-black attire. IE: stuff that only dancers would think looks good.

I don't think it requires much in the way of skill - my only problem was the "Argh! I'm two inches taller than I used to be!" thing. Obviously it helps to have a hat that fits well. Not recommended for summer dancing.

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 11:28 AM
It's like black and white shoes, high-waist trousers, braces, vintage clothing generally, skirts and dresses over trousers, T-shirts with dancing slogans, and all-black attire. IE: stuff that only dancers would think looks good..
Skirts over trousers definitely wouldn't look good on me. They'd make me look fat(ter) :)

I don't think it requires much in the way of skill - my only problem was the "Argh! I'm two inches taller than I used to be!" thing.
I think I'd get it knocked off / knock it off on the first slo(w) comb...

Daisy Chain
27th-June-2005, 11:53 AM

I'm not convinced they look good - especially on ladies. Men, OK, covering our faces is usually a Good Idea, and we don't move about (in theory) so much as our partners. But for the ladeez, I think they look nicer hatless...

I always assume that if a man is wearing a hat, he is trying to hide his embarrassment at being follically challenged :blush: After all, you lose 30% of your heat through your head and it's hot enough at a jive night without interfering with your natural cooling system. Has anyone noticed it hat wearers pant more than normal men?

Daisy

(A Bareheaded Little Flower)

MartinHarper
27th-June-2005, 12:24 PM
It's hot enough at a jive night without interfering with your natural cooling system.

Well dance guys care more about looking cool than being cool, otherwise they'd all be wearing shorts.
:waycool: <-- obligatory unfunny smiley

Lynn
27th-June-2005, 12:37 PM
Didn't dancing use to be an opportunity to talk to someone - eg Jane Austen time, it was considered bad manners to dance with someone and not talk.

I'm good at talking (or rather I should say I talk a lot :whistle: ) but hadn't really thought about the whole talking and dancing thing before. Generally I would say talk before/after a dance and if you want to have a more in depth chat maybe even head out of the dance hall for 5 mins or so (stops you from thinking - 'I really want to dance to that track/with that person' while someone is maybe telling you something important and allows you to give the person you are talking to more of your attention).

Talking while dancing - depends on who I am dancing with, what the music is, how loud the music is, what sort of moves we are doing, whether its someone I know or not...and have never been bothered by someone talking or by someone not talking. I don't really mind, talk, sing, whatever, as long as you are enjoying the dance, I'm happy!

Petal
27th-June-2005, 01:17 PM

Tiggerbabe has the skill. :clap:

Sparkles
27th-June-2005, 01:37 PM
Tiggerbabe has the skill. :clap:

:yeah:
You beat me too it! I was about to say that! :rofl: :worthy: :worthy:

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 02:31 PM
I always assume that if a man is wearing a hat, he is trying to hide his embarrassment at being follically challenged
As a FC man myself, I always assumed that too. :grin:

Clive Long
27th-June-2005, 02:35 PM
I feel a slogan t-shirt coming on then I can just point.
Would a T-shirt that sported

"I'm trying to chat you up as well as dance, but I'm not very good at either. Please be patient."

be considered tasteless or have shades of sleaziness ....

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 02:45 PM

"I'm trying to chat you up as well as dance, but I'm not very good at either. Please be patient."

I think you'd have to change into and out of it quite quickly if you didn't want girls to get the wrong idea.

Hmm- this thread makes me think I should stop trying to talk to partners when we're dancing.

And when we're in class (PeteK was very patient on Sunday about this, I think- yes, I know I keep talking about MJC but I've got it On The Brain right now!).

And one final thing:

Please, for my sake, call it a Slow Comb. Slo Comb is just a bit too close to 'Are You Being Served?'.

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 02:50 PM
Please, for my sake, call it a Slow Comb. Slo Comb is just a bit too close to 'Are You Being Served?'.
Don't blame me, blame the Borg. That's the new spelling.

Not only is it mis-spelled, it's an Evil Move now, with a lot of
controversy about hips (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4130)...

:tears:

CJ
27th-June-2005, 02:53 PM

Are You Being Served was before my time, but I remember one or two things...

My question is: would Mrs. Slocomb's pussy appreciate a Slo comb?

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 03:04 PM
Don't blame me, blame the Borg. That's the new spelling.
:tears:

Being part of a part-robot part-humanoid master race is no excuse for poor spelling.

Lou
27th-June-2005, 03:26 PM
Being part of a part-robot part-humanoid master race is no excuse for poor spelling.
I tried resistenceā„¢, but it was futile.

David Bailey
27th-June-2005, 03:27 PM
:rofl:
Hmmm, very tempted to steal that for my new sig...

I tried resistenceā„¢, but it was futile.
That too - seriously post-ironic, with the clearly-deliberate "e"... :)

JoC
27th-June-2005, 03:46 PM

(...just for the three minutes of this song of course...) :wink:

JoC
27th-June-2005, 03:53 PM
Me too, at the first return probably... not sure I'd fit a hat on my hair anyway... and with these short arms n' all

That's not to say I'd never try in the name of dressing up though! Imagine, you're all dressed up as a cowboy, what you gonna look like with no cowboy hat!?

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 04:14 PM
That's not to say I'd never try in the name of dressing up though! Imagine, you're all dressed up as a cowboy, what you gonna look like with no cowboy hat!?

Clayton and Janine at the Champs?

JoC
27th-June-2005, 04:20 PM
Clayton and Janine at the Champs?
What!!!??? They had no hats?????? I wasn't there but I expect they were eliminated immediately. :whistle:

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 05:07 PM
What!!!??? They had no hats?????? I wasn't there but I expect they were eliminated immediately. :whistle:

Nope- they WON. And in fact, the only hat wearer, Howard, did not make the final.

Though he did manage to keep his hat on throughout the routine, until Nicola removed it in a lift. Perhaps a Hat Wearing Ceroc workshop would be in order?

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2005, 05:25 PM
Nope- they WON. And in fact, the only hat wearer, Howard, did not make the final.

Though he did manage to keep his hat on throughout the routine, until Nicola removed it in a lift. Perhaps a Hat Wearing Ceroc workshop would be in order?
Its not possible to trust people in hats. The hiding of parts of the head is clearly shifty.

Beards are just as bad.

;)

Gojive
27th-June-2005, 05:27 PM
Beards are just as bad.

;)

Especially on women! :eek:

Purple Sparkler
27th-June-2005, 05:28 PM
Its not possible to trust people in hats. The hiding of parts of the head is clearly shifty.

Beards are just as bad.

;)

I agree. I used to be terrified of anyone with a beard when I was ickle- or wearing a mask. If I couldn't see their whole face, I didn't want to be near them. Hence the fact that I was really frightened of Santa Claus (I'm not joking).

JoC
27th-June-2005, 06:05 PM
6' tall wombles, especially the one with the hat. Was that Orinocho?

Gadget
27th-June-2005, 09:57 PM
Just a huge :worthy: to anyone who can keep a hat on while dancing: I have enough problems with my specs!
I did dance with foot long horns - no moves where arms go over your own head: Very hard to do.

Trousers
28th-June-2005, 09:04 AM

I'll take that in a medium please CL

Clive Long
28th-June-2005, 09:21 AM
Just a huge :worthy: to anyone who can keep a hat on while dancing: I have enough problems with my specs!
Daily disposable contact lenses have transformed my dance experience :nice:

I did dance with foot long horns - no moves where arms go over your own head: Very hard to do.
Photographic evidence please !!!

JoC
28th-June-2005, 11:17 AM
Strangely... and this is perhaps Karma catching up on me for my posting this antisocial thread... last night more people than ever before tried to have extensive conversations with me during dances!

I had to wonder if an announcement had been made while I was out the room, 'right everyone, speak to that Jo while you're dancing'.

Said a cheeky 'shush!!' to one partner and the rest I just smiled at. They probably think I'm a right dope now if they didn't already!

Once again, serves me right...

Lory
28th-June-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, call me weird :o but I don't mind the odd chat here and there, especially if it's the first dance of the night with a mate. :) But the unspoken rule is, if we've chatted for most of the first track, then we hang on to each other for the next one or two and seriously go for it! :waycool: :cheers:

Howard
26th-July-2005, 12:33 PM

Beards are just as bad.

;)

I would just like to add my agreement that people wearing hats are definately hiding something, in my case a bald head

Cruella
26th-July-2005, 03:29 PM

Hope this isn't a dig Mr James???