PDA

View Full Version : What is it about dancing?

Rebecca
23rd-June-2005, 05:07 PM
I've been dancing in one form or another pretty much all of my life. I stopped any form of dancing and teaching for a few years, and when I decided the time was right to dance again (and I discovered MJ) it was like I had come home.

Melodramatic perhaps, but there does seem to be something about dancing that excites and enthuses us all (or we wouldn't be on here). I would like to know what it is that keeps me so hooked. . .

Has anyone done any studying on the history / origins of dance across cultures?

Does anybody know about any biological / psychological / social / anthropological theories as to the function of dancing?

Imagine for a moment that someone told you that you could never dance again :eek:

Why is that?

Gadget
23rd-June-2005, 05:37 PM
Imagine for a moment that someone told you that you could never dance again :eek:
They would be lying.
As long as there is music, there will be dance. As long as there is beauty, there will be music. As long as there is dance, there will be beauty. See: a circle that can't be broken :)

bigdjiver
23rd-June-2005, 05:48 PM
:devil: Us guys are like bees, dancing tells us where to find the ingredients to make honey. :devil:

RogerR
23rd-June-2005, 08:05 PM
The recreational narcotics are "Endorphins" a natural High generated by excersise. A book is "May I Have The Pleasure" A BBC publication (and series of the same name ) from 1973 or 4 A history of dance from peasant to courtly from early civilisation to their 70s Now.

Lory
23rd-June-2005, 08:24 PM
I also have no idea what it is?

But I reckon it's a bit like singing, some of us just HAVE to :blush: and some don't :confused:

When I lived at home with my parents and siblings, no one in my family, wherever they might be in the house, could ever finish a song on there own, someone, if not ALL, would join in! :angry: :rofl:

But to my amazement, i've since learnt, this isn't the case in ALL families! :eek:

Cruella
23rd-June-2005, 08:28 PM
The recreational narcotics are "Endorphins" a natural High generated by excersise. A book is "May I Have The Pleasure" A BBC publication (and series of the same name ) from 1973 or 4 A history of dance from peasant to courtly from early civilisation to their 70s Now.

I hate exercise ( i don't look at dancing as exercise) so not sure that it is the endorphins that is the hook for me. I think it is the freedom of letting yourself go and losing alot of your inhibitions. This is why you men should not take flirtations on the dancefloor as a come on, :whistle: please don't shoot the messenger i'm just saying it has happened to friends of mine. I know some dancers that are outgoing on the dance floor but out of the dance world are quiet and shy. I guess a bit like some actors, it's a way of escapism.
The music is obviously the catalyst if you play a strong beat to an infant they will 'dance' at a very young age. It is obviously natural to dance! :clap:

David Bailey
23rd-June-2005, 09:35 PM
This is why you men should not take flirtations on the dancefloor as a come on, :whistle:
Well, of course the same applies to you women, we know you're Only After One Thing ... :whistle:

LMC
23rd-June-2005, 10:34 PM
The recreational narcotics are "Endorphins" a natural High generated by excersise.

:yeah:

I used to love the effects of the gym, but being in there was soooo dull.... Gimme dancing any day.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
23rd-June-2005, 11:00 PM
:yeah:

I used to love the effects of the gym, but being in there was soooo dull.... Gimme dancing any day.

I am sooo happy that i've found dancing! I've been going to the gym for around 6 months and haven't really seen much improvement-I think it has made me a bit more fit, but I lost no weight whilst there. but since I started dancing I lost half a stone :really: I think it is because I obviously, as you said enjoy dancing-I mean what would you prefer-an hours work-out or an evening of dancing? Silly question really :wink: Have started to try Yoga though-it's quite good-don't think i've ever stretched like that before :what:

Dancing is fun-give me music and i'll dance! :clap:

Ash x :hug:

ducasi
23rd-June-2005, 11:07 PM
Before I started dancing I reckoned there was a one-word answer to this question: sublimation.

After trying it for myself I now reckon there are three factors involved.

There's the exercise. It's well known that exercise will produce endorphins, a "natural high" hormone that can be addictive. There's also some adrenaline in the mix too. (Example of exercising –> :cheers: )

Dancing is fun. Especially to music. There need be no discussion about this. Quite why we enjoy futile jinking about is anybody's guess, but it's really no different than dogs that like to chase their tails or cats that will play with just about anything as "prey". Perhaps it's some ancient programming in our genetics so that we get the necessary skills required to go out and hunt down the sabre-tooth tigers and defend our families. (Not sure why battling polar bears works better to music, but there you go... :nice: ) Fun and laughter are also said to produce endorphins. (Example of laughter –> :rofl: )

Lastly there is a factor of sexiness in the excitement of dancing – the closeness and flirtation of a dance. It's not always there, but when it's there it certainly helps. (Examples of closeness and flirtation –> :wink: :flower: :hug: :kiss: )

The fun, the exercise, the sexiness when it's there, these all add up to an intoxicating mix of fun chemicals surging through your veins. :waycool:

It amazes me they haven't tried to ban it yet!

Clive Long
23rd-June-2005, 11:11 PM
Nothing profound to add except the observation that when my nephews got to about 3 and were transfixed by videos of Postman Pat and Balamory and their endless, endless, repetitive songs, George and William's knees would flex and their bums would wiggle and their heads would nod in time to the music.

Whatever music triggers in our movement, it is something deep, deep, deep.

Clive

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
23rd-June-2005, 11:22 PM
Nothing profound to add except the observation that when my nephews got to about 3 and were transfixed by videos of Postman Pat and Balamory and their endless, endless, repetitive songs, George and William's knees would flex and their bums would wiggle and their heads would nod in time to the music.

Aww...so cute :flower:

MartinHarper
23rd-June-2005, 11:34 PM
The dancing-specific things would be sublimation, endorphins, mating ritual, and rhythm. However, any activity can be addictive, just because people like to get themselves caught in patterns. Heck, some folks claim to be addicted to this forum, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't generate any endorphins.

You men should not take flirtations on the dancefloor as a come on.

!!

Excuse me - I just need to pick up the shattered remnants of my ego and sit whimpering in a corner for a little bit. :(

spindr
23rd-June-2005, 11:59 PM
Well this link explains what it is about dancing -- and taxi-dancing too! http://www.ssqq.com/information/volunteers.htm

SpinDr.

Lynn
24th-June-2005, 12:41 AM

Does anybody know about any biological / psychological / social / anthropological theories as to the function of dancing? A guy who used to dance MJ here (but hasn't recently) is an anthropologist who studies dance in various cultures. I think he has recently had a book published, but haven't seen it so not sure exactly what it covers.

Spent a little time with an ethnomusicologist in West Africa once - really interesting to learn about the social and relational functions of dancing in both town and rural communities.

When I go dancing I just have a fabulous time - the music, people, energy. (And even dancing in the living room can lift my mood.) Probably for all the reasons people have suggested, I just know I love it and it makes me feel good. :nice:

jockey
24th-June-2005, 12:51 AM
They would be lying.
As long as there is music, there will be dance. As long as there is beauty, there will be music. As long as there is dance, there will be beauty. See: a circle that can't be broken :)
Except by a bloody great meteorite...
Anyway, does all that really follow..?

Rebecca
24th-June-2005, 10:08 AM
My first thread - I was so worried no-one would post and I would be deemed a forum-failure. Thanks guys :hug:

Back to the question:
So, what I can ascertain from your replies thus far (there may be more - hoping), is that there is an evolutionary function to dancing, as Ducasi points out.

Lory recalls living at home with her parents and siblings, and singing (allied with dancing) would bring the family together in a unsaid, mutually understood pattern of relating to eachother, presumably ensuring family identity and cohesion. As Martin points out ritual and rhythm define a collective understanding of each other (perhaps that's why a bunch of strangers on a forum such as this automatically appear to relate to eachother - and fall out like all good families should from time to time)

Cruella and Clive both suggest that the desire to move to music is innate, and thus should perform some evolutionary function presumably.

Cruella also discusses 'escapism' and the ability to lose one's inhibitions, which is probably a good thing across most cultures, especially those whose mores tend to stunt expression of self and identity?

Ash suggests the benefits of dancing as a form of exercise promoting physical health, and Lynn talks of dancing lifting her mood, so psychological health is also improved (survival of the fittest and all that).

Then there's the sex (I knew it must have something to do with sex). MartinHarper highlighted the mating ritual, Ducasi talks of feeling sexy whilst dancing and Gadget points out (in a lovely way) that "As long as there is dance, there will be beauty". Possibly the hook is also something about feeling attractive to others. I certainly don't feel this in some of the other areas of my life but when on the dance-floor I feel great.

I'd be interested in having a look at your friend's book Lynn if you ever get the details, and SpinDr, I will check out that link (thanx).

Finally, Jockey warns us of the ever-present threat of a "bloody great meteorite". Perhaps the evolutionary function of dancing is to bring a big family of dancers together, who are physically and psychologically fit and assured of a group identity, to face the apocalypse off with an all-powerful lady-spin. . . . . .

Purple Sparkler
24th-June-2005, 11:14 AM
Well, of course the same applies to you women, we know you're Only After One Thing ... :whistle:

Yup! Someone who can do a good strong flick-spin on me without sending me off balance.

And in answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything ("What is it about dancing"), I refer the panel to the late, great George Bernard Shaw:

"Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire".

Whether the desire is for the person you're dancing with or not, I hasten to add. And whether you're actually remaining vertical the whole time or not.

ducasi
24th-June-2005, 01:28 PM
My first thread - I was so worried no-one would post and I would be deemed a forum-failure. Thanks guys :hug: Thanks, Rebecca, for an interesting question. :flower:

Back to the question:
So, what I can ascertain from your replies thus far (there may be more - hoping), is that there is an evolutionary function to dancing, as Ducasi points out. I didn't use the word "evolutionary", and I wouldn't. In my mind genetics isn't the same as evolution.

But back to the topic... I'm actually very surprised that this appears to be the only thread that refers to sublimation. :really: How has it taken this long?

bigdjiver
24th-June-2005, 04:18 PM
Many animals species only dance once, when they are mating, and they mate for life. Dance is very important for them. It is my guess that one function it fulfils is to check out the working of the brain in a potential partner. It may be as simple as "If I lead this, will you follow?", or it may be a way of checking out that the full instinct pattern is there. "You look like a duck, walk like a duck, quack like a duck, but can you dance ..." Instictive pattern following, as in herd behaviour, is a vital part of many species survival tactics. If the "use once" rarest part of the pattern is there it is probable that the rest of the instincts are too.
In primates the ability of a group to act as a unit is also important. Most adversaries would prefer to deal with a disorganised rabble as opposed to a group all acting together, and group cohesiveness can be strengthened by common activity, and dance can perform that bonding.

Mr Cool
25th-June-2005, 01:06 PM
A guy who used to dance MJ here (but hasn't recently) is an anthropologist who studies dance in various cultures. I think he has recently had a book published, but haven't seen it so not sure exactly what it covers.

Spent a little time with an ethnomusicologist in West Africa once - really interesting to learn about the social and relational functions of dancing in both town and rural communities.

When I go dancing I just have a fabulous time - the music, people, energy. (And even dancing in the living room can lift my mood.) Probably for all the reasons people have suggested, I just know I love it and it makes me feel good. :nice:

I Think if you really enjoy dance its born in you. Its with you for life the right music is a drug to me. If I here a track that make my feet want to dance it is so difficult to stop them, consequently I have danced on the spur of the moment in shopping malls in town centres any where.
The most difficult thing for me is I Run a Foundry with lots of Macho Foundry men, when the music on the radio tells me to dance it is a devil of a job to stop myself and I confess i have been caught doing the odd Jazz step, who cares :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Jon L
25th-June-2005, 02:23 PM
I've been dancing in one form or another pretty much all of my life. I stopped any form of dancing and teaching for a few years, and when I decided the time was right to dance again (and I discovered MJ) it was like I had come home.

Why is that?

The second point, I would say to everyone in this forum - consider carefully. In 2003 I was doing so much MJ (4 nights a week) that I wasn't making time for other things (church, friends off the dance floor etc, other sport etc.). The thought then hit me that if I have an injury and can't dance which could happen to any of us, then I am going to be fairly lonely and very miserable. :tears: :sad:

MJ - ceroc is great and I have experienced the "comeback" feelgood factor in Oct 2004 (after 7 months off due to the above), and again a couple of weeks ago. That's a really nice feeling to relax with others :clap:

Allez-Cat
25th-June-2005, 11:52 PM
It amazes me they haven't tried to ban it yet!

Or bottle it.... :D

RachD
26th-June-2005, 01:25 PM
Many animals species only dance once, when they are mating, and they mate for life. Dance is very important for them. It is my guess that one function it fulfils is to check out the working of the brain in a potential partner. It may be as simple as "If I lead this, will you follow?", or it may be a way of checking out that the full instinct pattern is there. "You look like a duck, walk like a duck, quack like a duck, but can you dance ..." Instictive pattern following, as in herd behaviour, is a vital part of many species survival tactics. If the "use once" rarest part of the pattern is there it is probable that the rest of the instincts are too.
In primates the ability of a group to act as a unit is also important. Most adversaries would prefer to deal with a disorganised rabble as opposed to a group all acting together, and group cohesiveness can be strengthened by common activity, and dance can perform that bonding.

Loved reading this.... ! :nice:

stewart38
27th-June-2005, 01:59 PM

Melodramatic perhaps, but there does seem to be something about dancing that excites and enthuses us all (or we wouldn't be on here). I would like to know what it is that keeps me so hooked. . .

Does anybody know about any biological / psychological / social / anthropological theories as to the function of dancing?

Why is that?

Ok im a twin why is I love dancing my brother doesnt like it at all

Raised in same familiy etc etc

Maybe I have an addictive personality he doesnt. Must be a deeper reason

RachD
27th-June-2005, 06:01 PM

I think everybody needs to express themselves and let go somehow... however, everyone has different approaches :rolleyes: (singing, dancing, talking) Some people never let go .... shame :sad: Maybe your twin has a different passion?

Lou
27th-June-2005, 06:10 PM
Ok im a twin
Which one of you is the evil twin? :devil:

stewart38
27th-June-2005, 07:49 PM
I think everybody needs to express themselves and let go somehow... however, everyone has different approaches :rolleyes: (singing, dancing, talking) Some people never let go .... shame :sad: Maybe your twin has a different passion?

yes its called Norwich City football club

Minnie M
27th-June-2005, 07:55 PM

Jason Leonard (who was in the Lindy Circle cabaret at MJC) is an identical twin and he and his twin were featured on a TV program a couple of years ago about the lives of identical twins differ.

Jason's brother does not dance and is not interested in it, I think he is a cyclist or something sporty - he is also much slimmer than Jason (not sure if that is relevant)

Andreas
30th-June-2005, 11:33 PM
I read somewhere that dancing to music you really like is better than an orgasm; physically and mentally more satisfactory, apparently.

Not sure if that was the reason why I used to dance between 5 and 7 nights a week. Now I am more like 20 years married ... once a week if I am lucky :rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 07:12 AM
I read somewhere that dancing to music you really like is better than an orgasm; physically and mentally more satisfactory, apparently.

Hmmm, I love dancing, but I wouldn't go that far...

Not sure if that was the reason why I used to dance between 5 and 7 nights a week. Now I am more like 20 years married ... once a week if I am lucky :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: but I strongly suspect that 20+ years married, once a month is more like it.... anyone care to comment? :devil:

Trish
1st-July-2005, 04:12 PM

I'm an identical twin, and my sister also dances and loves it (although she doesn't have as much free time to dance as me, having a little baby).

Are you identical twins? If not it might explain it, as he might not like the same type of music as you for example - what type of music you like is apparently to do with brainwaves, and my other sister, despite obviously being gentically similar, and brought up in the same way HATES the type of music that I like to dance to (this includes pop, latin, and swing)! She will however dance her socks off in the dance tents at Glastonbury, which I could put up with, but certainly wouldn't be my first choice!

If you are identical twins, the other explanation for any differences between you (in looks and personality) is because although you have the same genes, some may be switched "on" in you, and switched off in your twin or vice versa - this can explain things like a slightly different shaped nose, or a different size, but should I think also explain some personality differences if I've understood the genetics right.

Must stop now this is way off track, interesting though!!!

Cruella
3rd-July-2005, 09:06 PM
Hmmm, I love dancing, but I wouldn't go that far...

:rofl: but I strongly suspect that 20+ years married, once a month is more like it.... anyone care to comment? :devil:

Yeah, it was my 20th wedding anniversary last week. And Andreas is definately nearer the mark. :whistle: Mind you as we were in Venice without the kids for the weekend think we used up our 6 months quota. :rofl: :blush:

Andreas
3rd-July-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah, it was my 20th wedding anniversary last week. And Andreas is definately nearer the mark. :whistle:

You must have married young then :wink:

Mind you as we were in Venice without the kids for the weekend think we used up our 6 months quota. :rofl: :blush:

too much information :rofl: :flower:

Cruella
4th-July-2005, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Andreas]You must have married young then :wink:

Yeah i was 7. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: