PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a regular dance partner?

Chica29
23rd-June-2005, 10:26 AM
I have been dancing modern jive for about 2yrs now and am extending my repetoire to tango, samba, ramba and will be starting ballroom and latin classes soon!

I wanted to find a regular dance partner who is serious about dancing and would be interested in competing in the future. It would be great to practice moves and learn as we go along! I live in Southwest London! Anyone interested give me a shout!

Gojive
23rd-June-2005, 11:42 AM
I have been dancing modern jive for about 2yrs now and am extending my repetoire to tango, samba, ramba and will be starting ballroom and latin classes soon!

I wanted to find a regular dance partner who is serious about dancing and would be interested in competing in the future. It would be great to practice moves and learn as we go along! I live in Southwest London! Anyone interested give me a shout!

Hi Chica, and welcome to the forum :clap: . Have you tried getting announcements made at your local venues? :) .

Btw, are you make or female (in case you have a prospective partner reading this :wink: )

Yliander
23rd-June-2005, 12:20 PM
finding a dance partner can take sometime - let people know you are looking for a dance partner and also dance at as wide a variety venues and with as many different partners as possible you never know what gem you will find.

I actually asked my dance partner to do a workshop with me so I could see how we got along dancing/working together for an extended period of time before asking him.

a dance partner doesn't need to be exactly the same level as you - can be worth developing someone up if your personality's and dance styles and goals suit each other

have to say i think that personailty is more important than dancing level - no good having the best dancer if you find working with them touture!

Good Luck :flower:

Chica29
23rd-June-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Chica, and welcome to the forum :clap: . Have you tried getting announcements made at your local venues? :) .

Btw, are you make or female (in case you have a prospective partner reading this :wink: )

Hi, thanks yes, I forgot to say! female! I haven't tried that and will, its difficult to find someone that you dance well with though and i have been to a number of venues all over London! I will keep on trying! But if anyone wants to give it a go - let me know! :wink:

Martin
23rd-June-2005, 01:25 PM
Hi, thanks yes, I forgot to say! female! I haven't tried that and will, its difficult to find someone that you dance well with though and i have been to a number of venues all over London! I will keep on trying! But if anyone wants to give it a go - let me know! :wink:

A general offer can lead to embarising "no's" Personally I go to as many dance venues as poss and find someone who matches my style, then I would ask.

Book a hall and practice.

On a practical note, to set expectations, you could offer to practice for 6 sessions and "see if it works" - gives you an out, if you need it.

ducasi
23rd-June-2005, 01:44 PM
I have been dancing modern jive for about 2yrs now ...

I wanted to find a regular dance partner who is serious about dancing and would be interested in competing in the future. ... Anyone interested give me a shout! I have been dancing MJ for about 4 months. Some people have told me I'm a good dancer (considering how long I've been dancing.) I'd like to be better.

I would like to find a woman who could be my regular dance partner, who is at a similar level to me, wants to learn more and likes to have fun.

If this describes you, or someone you know, and you/they are based in or around Glasgow please let me know. :nice:

Chica29, good luck in your search and do let me know of anything that helps you find a partner. :flower:

Cheers!

David Bailey
23rd-June-2005, 03:00 PM
There's a "find a partner" page in the ceroclondon (http://www.ceroclondon.com/chat_box.htm) site - no idea how much it's used or useful though.

And that probably won't help Ducasi :)

Lory
23rd-June-2005, 03:11 PM
There's a "find a partner" page in the ceroclondon (http://www.ceroclondon.com/chat_box.htm) site - no idea how much it's used or useful though.

I recognise a few people on there, I'm slightly worried as to how out of date it might be :confused:

David Bailey
23rd-June-2005, 03:30 PM
I recognise a few people on there, I'm slightly worried as to how out of date it might be :confused:
Maybe they're still looking :)

OK, I admit, it was hidden away, so I've no idea how useful it'll be....

Jon L
24th-June-2005, 01:48 AM
This is a problem that I have also encountered. I'll admit that my "exile" in 2003 probably meant I wasn't seen as much.

However i would still like someone local, who would be interested in competitons at "intermediate level" (I am not good enough for advanced).
Most of the good dancers I've come accross have partners anyway which makes it harder :sad: