PDA

View Full Version : A smack in the head

MartinHarper
23rd-June-2005, 10:09 AM
She hit me over the head a couple of times on turns too - which very rarely happens with even much shorter guys - shorter than her even.

That reminds me...
I often end up smacking followers upside the head in underarm turns, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Any ideas of things I should look at to fix this?

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
23rd-June-2005, 10:18 AM
That reminds me...
I often end up smacking followers upside the head in underarm turns, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Any ideas of things I should look at to fix this?

I've started elbowing guys in the face while doing turns too :sick: I don't know why that is, it has only started happening recently. I think I might be bending my elbow or something like that? Oops...

Sorry guys! :hug:

Ashx

Trish
23rd-June-2005, 10:19 AM
That reminds me...

Yes, lift you arm up more! Actually to be fair, if the lady you're dancing with is someone who relies on leaning on you for balance, she can sometimes pull your arm down onto her own head. In this case you either need to:

a) tell her to carry the weight of her own arm,

b) stop dancing with her (if your feeling mean) or

c) lift you arm up even more, but be careful not to yank it up.

Hope this helps!

Trish

LMC
23rd-June-2005, 10:30 AM
I've started elbowing guys in the face while doing turns too :sick: I don't know why that is, it has only started happening recently. I think I might be bending my elbow or something like that? Oops...

I did that once last night for the first time ever... I was mortified :blush: (he didn't run off tho and I didn't see any blood). Please don't tell me it might become a habit :tears:

c) lift you arm up even more, but be careful not to yank it up.

:yeah:

As Trish has also said, the follower needs to carry the weight of their own arm, but it also needs to be relaxed enough to allow the leader to lift it. Normally, mine is, which is why I rarely get smacked in the head, even with very short guys.

Lou
23rd-June-2005, 11:47 AM
I elbowed at least 2 guys in the class on Monday. In my defence, I was learning a kick turn, and so my balance & timing wasn't great.... :o Sorry chaps!

Little Monkey
23rd-June-2005, 11:55 AM
I quite spectacularly punched a guy in the face a few weeks ago (you know who you are...... SORRY!!!!! :blush: ). He put me into a very very fast multiple turn (whatever that's called), and I was spinning around at full speed..... Then he tried to stop me, but unfortunately after doing 10 or more very fast turns on the spot, I had no control over where I was, and when he lowered my arm, I punched him on the side of his face!!! :eek:

Incredibly, he just grinned and kept on dancing. And has since asked me for more dances! :clap:

Little Killer Monkey

Lynn
23rd-June-2005, 11:59 AM
Learnt a move a while back where the lady turns with her arm out and the guy ducks under it as she turns - at one point in the class the guy didn't duck at the right time - after that I kept my arm tucked in. I know we were doing it in class slowly and the guy didn't duck in time, but I still felt bad. :blush:

spindr
23rd-June-2005, 12:18 PM

Keep your arm in a nice L-shape with your forearm vertical and make sure that you keep it in front of your face as you dance the turn.

If your elbow starts to lift and moves to the side as you turn, i.e. your arm looks a bit like a ">" shape (or a "<" shape :) ) then you take more room as you turn -- and the elbow may well hit the man.

SpinDr.

Piglet
23rd-June-2005, 12:28 PM
Keep your arm in a nice L-shape with your forearm vertical and make sure that you keep it in front of your face as you dance the turn.

I've heard this same advice from Filthy Cute. I think it would help if turns were taught with this in mind during the classes though - otherwise, it can be difficult to put it into practice if you're not used to it. :flower:

Lory
23rd-June-2005, 12:56 PM
-snip-
OI! Mr Spindr, You just worry about the nice people dancing next to you! :whistle: :wink: :rofl:

Donna
23rd-June-2005, 01:18 PM

If your elbow starts to lift and moves to the side as you turn, i.e. your arm looks a bit like a ">" shape (or a "<" shape :) ) then you take more room as you turn -- and the elbow may well hit the man.

SpinDr.

I totally agree. It is a fact that either partners arms are a little too low so obviously it's going to bend more unless lift it up slightly. Actually, i've changed my mind now..... the man leads yeah???....so....if the lady does happen to give him a good ol elbow in the face....WELL THAT'S HIS OWN BLUMMIN FAULT AIN'T IT FOR NOT RAISING HIS ARM A BIT MORE!!! :D :D :D SO THERE YOU GO LADIES DON'T EVER FEEL GUILTY FOR THIS!! :wink: :wink: :rofl:

I've hit my partner in the face loooaaads of times, (bless him) and I DO feel awful every time.

I'll never forget this one guy on Blackpool I was dancing with last March...he was a brilliant dancer and I was having a brill time until he put me into these fast turns and WOOMMPHHH...elbowed him straight into his eyebrow. I'll tell you, I have never seen anything swell up so big and fast!!!! :whistle: :rofl: :really: AHEM AHEM.....anyway moving on....he looked an absolute site and it was all my fault!! :tears: Funnily enough he couldn't remember who I was at the ceroc champs so he couldn't have been that traumatised by it.

Lou
23rd-June-2005, 01:21 PM
Funnily enough he couldn't remember who I was at the ceroc champs so he couldn't have been that traumatised by it. :yeah: ... or he was still suffering from concussion.... :whistle:

Donna
23rd-June-2005, 01:22 PM
:yeah: ... or he was still suffering from concussion.... :whistle:

:yeah: Nice one!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
23rd-June-2005, 01:27 PM
I was having a brill time until he put me into these fast turns and WOOMMPHHH...elbowed him straight into his eyebrow. I'll tell you, I have never seen anything swell up so big and fast!!!! :whistle: :rofl: :really:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, but... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :blush: And don't feel guilty about it :hug: