PDA

View Full Version : "Are you nuts??" (Pt. 3 in an occasional series)

Barry Shnikov
21st-June-2005, 07:48 PM
Have a look here...

http://www.drcolbert.com/c.cgi?ProdID=C24

Divissima
21st-June-2005, 07:52 PM
Have a look here...

http://www.drcolbert.com/c.cgi?ProdID=C24 :what: Oh my!....... :what:

Barry Shnikov
21st-June-2005, 08:09 PM
:what: Oh my!....... :what:

Hello! How are you?

Divissima
21st-June-2005, 08:37 PM
Hello! How are you?I'm well :grin: How are you? Are you back in London like your profile says?

Lory
21st-June-2005, 08:41 PM
I imagine there might be a fair amount of Fish, Wine and Bread in that recipe book? :na:

Barry Shnikov
21st-June-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm well :grin: How are you? Are you back in London like your profile says?

No, I had problems changing my profile. I'll have another go. How's the jedic one?

Barry Shnikov
21st-June-2005, 10:30 PM
I imagine there might be a fair amount of Fish, Wine and Bread in that recipe book? :na:

There sure as hell is gonna be no chocolate!!

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I'm sure it's selling very well in large sections of America.

If you liked that link, you need to visit: 'Gadgets for God' (http://www.shipoffools.com/Gadgets/index.html)- my particular favourites are Testamints and all the Toys and Games.

DangerousCurves
22nd-June-2005, 11:01 AM
" For those desiring to safely lose weight...."

Surely you don't need to be thin to fit through the Heavenly Gates! And some of those cherubs have always looked a little... "portly" to me!

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 11:08 AM
" For those desiring to safely lose weight...."

Surely you don't need to be thin to fit through the Heavenly Gates! And some of those cherubs have always looked a little... "portly" to me!

Well, they do say it's easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle...

*we interrupt this post to present an interesting fact: The Eye of the Needle was in fact a gate in Jerusalem. A very small, narrow gate. Jesus is making reference to the loaded camels of merchants, which would of course have had quite a difficult time getting through the gate. It's not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, just that it would be very difficult (you could regard the load on the camel as the rich person's riches- without them, getting through that narrow little gate would be a lot easier*

OK, I've pacified my inner Sunday School Teacher. Back to the thread.

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 12:22 PM
*we interrupt this post to present an interesting fact: The Eye of the Needle was in fact a gate in Jerusalem. A very small, narrow gate. Jesus is making reference to the loaded camels of merchants, which would of course have had quite a difficult time getting through the gate. It's not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, just that it would be very difficult (you could regard the load on the camel as the rich person's riches- without them, getting through that narrow little gate would be a lot easier*
OK, I'm intrigued - got a reference for that?

I'm wondering if the gate was named after the saying, or not...

Lynn
22nd-June-2005, 12:27 PM
my particular favourites are Testamints .Someone brought me a packet of those from the US once! :rofl:

Lynn
22nd-June-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm wondering if the gate was named after the saying, or not... I've heard that too, haven't got a reference though. Makes sense - its impossible for a camel to get through the eye of a needle so it is more meaningful for it to be referring to a gate of that name - that it was difficult to get a loaded camel through, but not impossible to get an unloaded one.

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 12:57 PM

I'm wondering if the gate was named after the saying, or not...

No- the saying comes from the Bible. Jesus was referring to the gate, which was already called the eye of the needle.

I'd have to ask my Dad for the reference, it was him who found it.

I'll just text him...

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 12:58 PM
Someone brought me a packet of those from the US once! :rofl:

Hmmm- I have US connections right on the buckle of the bible belt- perhaps they will provide? :rofl:

What I REALLY want is the T-shirt I saw once saying "I'VE FOUND JESUS! Now he counts while I hide"

Gojive
22nd-June-2005, 01:01 PM
IMHO, it's a little easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle, if it's lightly greased first :)

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 01:11 PM
Dad just texted back- apparently it's in Bowker's Bible Handbook, he thinks. Mum says it's what they were taught in (Christian) school.

Also: Who just repped me? Ducasi, was it you? You're the only person I can think of who has DC in their name!

Sorry, but I just like to know these things.

MartinHarper
22nd-June-2005, 01:18 PM

Religions of all sorts have been offering rules and guidance on proper eating for several millenia now, so I'm not entirely clear what the fuss is about.

It's not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

My gut tells me that this particular reinterpretation of the Bible was invented by a rich man. This site on Biblical Hebrew (http://www.biblicalhebrew.com/nt/camelneedle.htm) is perhaps more reliable in matters of faith than an atheist's gut.

There is no evidence for such a gate, nor record of reprimand of the architect who may have forgotten to make a gate big enough for the camel and rider to pass through unhindered.

Dizzy
22nd-June-2005, 03:08 PM
Have a look here...

You are kidding right?!! :rofl:

I hate to bring up the obvious but how can eating what Jesus ate make you live longer? Didn't he die in his thirties...........ok, maybe not from Heart Disease but still!!!

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 03:15 PM
I hate to bring up the obvious but how can eating what Jesus ate make you live longer? Didn't he die in his thirties...........ok, maybe not from Heart Disease but still!!!
"In the end, everyone dies from heart failure"

(OK, not quite true now, but close enough)

Barry Shnikov
22nd-June-2005, 11:38 PM

In case there are any out there who don't know, there's been a US movement for some time called 'What would Jesus do?', the theory being that you can live your whole life by asking yourself, at every juncture, 'what would Jesus do?', and presumably this was supposed to cure all ills, save society, and get you in to heaven.

Next: what would Jesus drive?

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-June-2005, 12:48 AM
apparently it's in Bowker's Bible HandbookSo that makes it true? Which Gate was this referring to? I've been to Jerusalem lots of times and all the gates have historical names like "Dung Gate", Jaffa Gate" and so on. More information please!!

Lory
23rd-June-2005, 12:50 AM
Next: what would Jesus drive?
:eek: What a stupid question.... :rolleyes:
A Mazda RX8 of course! :innocent: :wink:

Lory
23rd-June-2005, 12:53 AM
Jaffa Gate"
Do people walk round the outside first and save going through the middle till last??? :D

David Bailey
23rd-June-2005, 08:53 AM
So that makes it true? Which Gate was this referring to? I've been to Jerusalem lots of times and all the gates have historical names like "Dung Gate", Jaffa Gate" and so on. More information please!!
Unfortunately, I believe it's a myth - there's a reference here (http://www.biblicalhebrew.com/nt/camelneedle.htm).

Shame, actually, sounds like a good story :sad:

On the Jaffa thing, is that where the name (cake) came from?

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-June-2005, 09:06 AM
On the Jaffa thing, is that where the name (cake) came from?I believe they're named after the Jaffa Orange, which is itself named after the town of Jaffa which is located just to the south of modern Tel Aviv in what is now Israel. Jaffa is the world's oldest continuously inhabited city, having been settled for around four thousand years.

To anyone familiar with the Bible, it appears in the story of Jonah and the whale. When Jonah fled the summons of the Lord he left on a boat from Joppa (Jaffa) to Tarshish, the boat from which he was thrown by the sailors before being swallowed by the great fish (whale).

Jerusalem's Jaffa gate gets its name because it's where the road to/from Jaffa arrives at the city.

David Bailey
23rd-June-2005, 09:30 AM
I believe they're named after the Jaffa Orange, which is itself named after the town of Jaffa which is located just to the south of modern Tel Aviv in what is now Israel. Jaffa is the world's oldest continuously inhabited city, having been settled for around four thousand years.

To anyone familiar with the Bible, it appears in the story of Jonah and the whale. When Jonah fled the summons of the Lord he left on a boat from Joppa (Jaffa) to Tarshish, the boat from which he was thrown by the sailors before being swallowed by the great fish (whale).

Jerusalem's Jaffa gate gets its name because it's where the road to/from Jaffa arrives at the city.
Welcome back :)

Lynn
23rd-June-2005, 12:13 PM
On the Jaffa thing, is that where the name (cake) came from? Mmm, Jaffa cakes... :drool:

Purple Sparkler
23rd-June-2005, 12:51 PM
So that makes it true? Which Gate was this referring to? I've been to Jerusalem lots of times and all the gates have historical names like "Dung Gate", Jaffa Gate" and so on. More information please!!

I'd be glad to give it if I HAD time to go and reference it properly. Sadly, I am too busy job hunting at the moment.

That'll teach me to stick my head up over the parapet.

Lou
23rd-June-2005, 01:34 PM
A Mazda RX8 of course! :innocent: :wink:Nah... every man I know who thinks that the world revolves around him has driven a Toyota Celica.

(btw... guess what car Mr Lou drives.....? ;) )

Barry Shnikov
23rd-June-2005, 10:01 PM

Jerusalem was - um - a Palestinian city, then it was - um - a Roman city then it was - um - a moslem city - then it was - um - a crusader city - and that only gets us to the twelfth century.

Gee, ya think there's been exactly the same number of gates around Jerusalem with exactly the same names for 2000 years?

:)

MartinHarper
24th-June-2005, 12:38 AM
I think it's sad. You get an inspiring self-proclaimed messiah, who tells people to give all their possessions to the poor and follow him, and amazingly people do just that, forming a radical new religion that eventually takes over much of the known world.

Fast forward a couple of thousand years, and the message has somehow been diluted to this thing where a rich man can get into heaven, but might have to breathe in a bit. It's kinda pathetic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people today have a stronger attachment to their money than they do to their religion.

qjohn
24th-June-2005, 02:32 PM
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I'm sure it's selling very well in large sections of America.

If you liked that link, you need to visit: 'Gadgets for God' (http://www.shipoffools.com/Gadgets/index.html)- my particular favourites are Testamints and all the Toys and Games.
Great site, thanks PS :flower:
These sandels leave a message impressioned in the sand etc 'Fisherman Shoes' (http://www.shipoffools.com/Gadgets/Fashion/Pics/ShoesFisherman.gif); hmm, might be a bit of a design flaw here? ;)

Purple Sparkler
24th-June-2005, 02:40 PM
I think it's sad. You get an inspiring self-proclaimed messiah, who tells people to give all their possessions to the poor and follow him, and amazingly people do just that, forming a radical new religion that eventually takes over much of the known world.

Fast forward a couple of thousand years, and the message has somehow been diluted to this thing where a rich man can get into heaven, but might have to breathe in a bit. It's kinda pathetic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people today have a stronger attachment to their money than they do to their religion.

I would say that what Jesus was saying to the rich man was that he needs to get rid of his cargo to get through the gates- in other words, as he said many times to and about rich people, give the money away, use it to help people other than yourself.

The message hasn't really been diluted over time, but I do agree that a lot of people have forgotten, or not realised, exactly how radical it is. For example, turning the other cheek isn't about being a doormat, it's actually about standing up for yourself while staying within the law. I'll elaborate if anyone's interested. *ducks back into trench*