PDA

View Full Version : Best Places to Dance in Manchester area

Rob May
20th-June-2005, 04:18 PM
I am going to be spending a fair bit of time in the Cheshire area over the next 6 months and wonder if I can have some non-biased advice as to where is good to dance. Please....no politics!

I've popped along to the Bowden Rooms once, which was ok, but have been no where else yet.

Naturally I (as is everybody else) am after good dance floor, great music/DJ, fantastic lady dancers and good atmosphere.

I am a bit rusty after 6 months of not dancing, but will hopefully be a welcome addition to a venue oop north!

Cheers

Rob

Almost an Angel
20th-June-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi Rob,

I sometimes work out of the Blackpool/ Preston Office so find myself pining for my normal fix of dancing.

On a Monday try Le Swing Jive in Prestwich at the Longfield Suite.
I've always been made very welcome there- even if I'm an infrequent visitor.

Angel xx

Will
21st-June-2005, 01:18 PM
I was up there a while ago.

Nantwich, Northwich, and Altringham where the places I remember having popular venues. That was about 2 years ago, so things might have changed a bit.

Will

Paul F
21st-June-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi Rob,

Dont worry. I am not going to bombard you with Ceroc plugs. I have never really gone in for that.

The busiest and highest level of dancing in the Cheshire/Manchester area has got to be Nantwich (ceroc - tuesdays) and Prestwich (leswing - Mondays). I believe Nantwich is possibly the busiest night around attracting upwards of 180 dancers. This is not a biased opinion just the facts as i know it.

Bowden rooms (blitz) is on a Monday and Tuesday. I believe it still gets busy. Its been a while since i was there so could be wrong but I think Tuesdays has the highest level of dancers going.

Northwich is open on a Thursday but I am unsure how that is doing as I have not been able to get down there.

On a Wednesday we have a night at Hyde in East Manchester. Although when we started we had a relatively low number of seasoned dancers this has turned around now. We get about 160 people on a Wednesday night with a good number of good dancers.

Blitz also run a night at Stockport town hall on a Wednesday. It wasnt the busiest of nights last time i went but it may have turned round. Its the same venue they run their freestyles from.

There is also a night on a monday run by Barnside Jive. Unfortunately it clashes directly with Prestwich and is only a few miles away but I have heard this is a great venue. Again, not sure about the level of dancing.

And finally, depending on where you are in Cheshire the huge Kings Hall in Stoke is not too far away. Thats Ceroc Midlands i believe.

Wow. :eek: I didnt realise just how many venues we had up here in the NW until i wrote this. Apologies to anyone i may have missed.

If you do decide to come up to Hyde on a Wednesday make sure you come and say hello.

Trousers
21st-June-2005, 03:29 PM
I am a bit rusty after 6 months of not dancing, but will hopefully be a welcome addition to a venue oop north!

Cheers

Rob

You aren't the 'Rob May' are you.

Used to teach Guildford way?

And whoose image adorns all the ceroc literature???

That Rob May?

Dreadful Scathe
21st-June-2005, 05:31 PM
I am a bit rusty after 6 months of not dancing,

I think Wizard of Oz characters are accepted at Bowden, Nantwich and Hyde. Ive been to them all :) *

Unless I was at Northwich. Dunno, sounds similar. Course I would hardly bother if Gus isnt teaching!

* Im the wicked witch of the North :)

fletch
21st-June-2005, 05:55 PM
I am going to be spending a fair bit of time in the Cheshire area over the next 6 months and wonder if I can have some non-biased advice as to where is good to dance. Please....no politics!

I've popped along to the Bowden Rooms once, which was ok, but have been no where else yet.

Naturally I (as is everybody else) am after good dance floor, great music/DJ, fantastic lady dancers and good atmosphere.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,
Wolverhampton is a fab venue on Thursday's :nice: if its not to far for you. We are all very friendly and go clubbing after if you could cope with the pace :cheers:

Rob May
21st-June-2005, 07:06 PM
I suppose I am 'The' Rob May, although I have a few more grey hairs since 'that' picture of Annalisa and I was taken back in 2000. That picture gets everywhere. My house mate went backpacking round the world in 2001 and was amazed when he saw my picture up in New Zealand advertising Ceroc NZ, he couldn't believe he could get away from me even on the other side of the planet!!

Haven't taught or danced since December, and yes used to teach Guildford, Fulham Town Hall and also up in Leamington for a while. Packed in all the competitive stuff and have been enjoying my dancing much more ever since.

You must have been around a while 'Trousers' to remember me, i've not been on the scene for ages!!

Sounds like there is a number of great venues to try, thanks for the info everyone. Ask me for a dance if you bump into me. You'll recognise me from the big smile and not the orange T-shirt!
R

Trousers
21st-June-2005, 11:49 PM
You must have been around a while 'Trousers' to remember me, i've not been on the scene for ages!!

Sh1t should have kept my big gob shut!

Yup I was there at Finnegans Wake prior to its rebirth Ahhh the good old days.
You used to do little theme lessons din't ya like all double handed or four catapult variations.

Credit to you tho Rob never a dull one!

Have fun up there!