PDA

View Full Version : PM Ettiquette

Gus
19th-June-2005, 03:19 PM
Follwing on from recent events .....

I was under the impression that a PM could not / should not be posted to the general Forum unless the sending party consented (after all the idea of a private message is to keep it private :rolleyes: ). Is this correct or am I being naive?

drathzel
19th-June-2005, 03:28 PM
Follwing on from recent events .....

I was under the impression that a PM could not / should not be posted to the general Forum unless the sending party consented (after all the idea of a private message is to keep it private :rolleyes: ). Is this correct or am I being naive?

Ok i agree with you that they are private for a reason and anyone who iswanting to share them is either very naive or doing it to try and cause antagony(is this the right word?)

Andy McGregor
19th-June-2005, 03:34 PM
I think there is a clue in the title of the type of message. My advice is that if you don't like the content of a private message being repeated on the public forum you should ask to have that post edited to remove the bit you don't like.

ducasi
19th-June-2005, 03:48 PM
I'd say posting a PM on a public forum is usually bad etiquette, but as people can be unpredictable blighters, I try to stick to the rule of never writing down anything you wouldn't want to be published on the front page of tomorrow's Sun.

PS> Danielle, "Antagony" is an obsolete form of the word "Antagonism", but maybe language doesn't move so fast where you're from. :wink:

drathzel
19th-June-2005, 04:03 PM
PS> Danielle, "Antagony" is an obsolete form of the word "Antagonism", but maybe language doesn't move so fast where you're from. :wink:

Well mr smarty, what is the word to use then......

ducasi
19th-June-2005, 04:07 PM
Well mr smarty, what is the word to use then...... I don't want to antagonise you, so antagony was fine, but antagonism might have been better...

Are you feeling antagonistic towards me yet? :blush:

David Bailey
19th-June-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't want to antagonise you, so antagony was fine, but antagonism might have been better...

Are you feeling antagonistic towards me yet? :blush:
Hey, I like "antagony", it sounds all Shakespearian :)

philsmove
19th-June-2005, 04:42 PM
, I try to stick to the rule of never writing down anything you wouldn't want to be published on the front page of tomorrow's Sun.

:yeah:

Gus
19th-June-2005, 04:48 PM
I'd say posting a PM on a public forum is usually bad etiquette, but as people can be unpredictable blighters, I try to stick to the rule of never writing down anything you wouldn't want to be published on the front page of tomorrow's Sun.Ahhhh, 'tis true. :o But I still hanker for the old days when the Forum was a friendlier place and firefights were played out in the Open with honour (see the classic battles of CJ v Gus and Will v Gus circa early 2004 ... will we ever see such battles again?? :blush: )

Andy McGregor
19th-June-2005, 05:17 PM
Ahhhh, 'tis true. :o But I still hanker for the old days when the Forum was a friendlier place and firefights were played out in the Open with honour (see the classic battles of CJ v Gus and Will v Gus circa early 2004 ... will we ever see such battles again?? :blush: )Hey Gus, how do you fancy a set-piece battle of words? One of us needs to pretend we teach a move called the 'slime-ball' at dance weekenders. The other has to take the moral high ground. And one of us needs to be a girl ...

DavidB
19th-June-2005, 05:31 PM
firefights were played out in the Open with honour
will we ever see such battles again??Sir

I Demand Satisfaction for comments you have made regarding my honour and ability.

As the Challenger I select 2 forms of the duel. I nominate Aerials at Dusk, or Spelling at Dawn.

As is traditional, you can choose one form, and nominate the place.

(Where is the smiley for throwing down the gauntlet?)

DavidB
19th-June-2005, 05:32 PM
Sorry - you did say a friendlier place.

The first line should read "Dear Sir"...

Feelingpink
19th-June-2005, 05:38 PM
Hey Gus, how do you fancy a set-piece battle of words? One of us needs to pretend we teach a move called the 'slime-ball' at dance weekenders. The other has to take the moral high ground. And one of us needs to be a girl ...

You are going to have to fight for that one! :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-June-2005, 05:51 PM
I nominate Aerials at Dusk, or Spelling at Dawn.

Spelling at Dawn? I believe Gadget gets up that early, he can be Gus's second ;) :what:

David Bailey
19th-June-2005, 06:10 PM
I try to stick to the rule of never writing down anything you wouldn't want to be published on the front page of tomorrow's Sun.
And I also say :yeah:

Half or more of the grief / problems / feuds / sulks / rants on any forum are caused by someone posting off-the-cuff remarks without thinking them through.

These dumbass comments, which would be ignored in a pub discussion, get magnified by the permanency and ease-of-distribution of the Web, so they take on a life of their own.

For example, see, well, lots of my previous posts... :blush:

DavidB
19th-June-2005, 07:58 PM
Spelling at Dawn? I believe Gadget gets up that early, he can be Gus's secondMore likely to be Gos's seccnd

Dance Demon
19th-June-2005, 08:25 PM
More likely to be Gos's seccnd

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :worthy: :worthy: :rofl: :rofl:

Magic Hans
19th-June-2005, 08:28 PM
... I try to stick to the rule of never writing down anything you wouldn't want to be published on the front page of tomorrow's Sun....
Witness the shock and horror when some lover, jilted his other, only to discover, that his vindictive and vengeful email had circumnavigated the entire e-globe!!

Poor unfortunate fool!

!an

Chicklet
19th-June-2005, 08:30 PM
Spelling at Dawn?
surely we need first to check that Dawn was in the bar area of the Blues room at Southport to be sure she is of a standing to adjudicate?

:devil:

David Bailey
19th-June-2005, 09:27 PM
surely we need first to check that Dawn was in the bar area of the Blues room at Southport to be sure she is of a standing to adjudicate?
And he probably meant to say "spitting at Dawn" :)

Poor Dawn, what's she ever done to deserve that? :innocent:

Lynn
20th-June-2005, 10:45 AM
Sorry to sidetrack the thread for a moment... :whistle:

I was under the impression that a PM could not / should not be posted to the general Forum unless the sending party consented (after all the idea of a private message is to keep it private :rolleyes: ). Is this correct or am I being naive? I posted about this on another thread. Its fairly simple as far as I can see - public forum but private messages.

I would go to far to say that someone who repeatedly posted from other people's PMs without their knowledge and consent should have their private messaging suspended. (Doing it once, not being aware that it is unacceptable is forgivable IMO esp if an apology follows)

Sorry - now you can back to Dawn in the blues room...

bigdjiver
20th-June-2005, 12:01 PM
I have no legal expertise. AFIK a letter, and presumably an email, is the property of the recipient, and they can do anything within the law with it.

The advice to assume that you are writing for the front page or a jury seems good to me.

OT: I also believe that propogating a libel received in a letter or email is also a possible cause for legal action, and may carry higher penalties than the original offence.

I used to enjoy the schoolboy trick: sidle up to someone furtively and whisper "Can you keep a secret?"
"Yes", (with interest and anticipation)
Look around furtively to ensure nobody is eavesdropping, and whisper "So can I".

CJ
20th-June-2005, 12:16 PM
See??

That's women for ya... :angry:

This forum was GREAT when it was just us boys... :waycool:

Some throwing out toys from prams.. :clap:

Some PM's (that stayed PM's) to apologise and save face... :o

But now...

NOW?!? :eek:

Pah... more like PMS than PM's. :(

Public=Private. There is no honour here anymore... :tears:

The mood of the whole forum dips every 26-28 days... :sad: Man, it's like they've all regulated. ;)

No real fights, just a 4-weekly intense negotiation... :confused:

Can we have a bit of order, please?? And a little decorum?? As it used to be.... :wink: :whistle: :innocent:

Lou
20th-June-2005, 12:20 PM
No real fights, just a 4-week intense negotiation... :confused:
I'll happily fight, but it'll be girlie fighting with nails scratching & hair pulling... :wink:

MartinHarper
20th-June-2005, 02:38 PM
Someone who repeatedly posted from other people's PMs without their knowledge and consent should have their private messaging suspended.

Don't send personal messages to such people. It achieves the same effect.
:non-existent-shrug-smiley:

CJ
20th-June-2005, 02:48 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now I HAVE seen it all...

Martin harper posting in ettiquette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy McGregor
20th-June-2005, 04:10 PM

Now I HAVE seen it all...

Martin harper posting in ettiquette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:With Ceroc Jock commenting about it!!!!

Dreadful Scathe
20th-June-2005, 04:58 PM
With Ceroc Jock commenting about it!!!!

and me overusing smileys
:flower: :kiss: :whistle: ;) :wink: :na: :blush: :rolleyes: :o :confused:

:sad:

Dance Demon
21st-June-2005, 12:39 AM
and me overusing smileys
:flower: :kiss: :whistle: ;) :wink: :na: :blush: :rolleyes: :o :confused:

:sad:
tsk....you missed out the hug......... :hug:

DianaS
21st-June-2005, 12:17 PM
See??

That's women for ya... :angry:

This forum was GREAT when it was just us boys... :waycool:

Some throwing out toys from prams.. :clap:

Some PM's (that stayed PM's) to apologise and save face... :o

But now...

NOW?!? :eek:

Pah... more like PMS than PM's. :(

Public=Private. There is no honour here anymore... :tears:

The mood of the whole forum dips every 26-28 days... :sad: Man, it's like they've all regulated. ;)

No real fights, just a 4-weekly intense negotiation... :confused:

Can we have a bit of order, please?? And a little decorum?? As it used to be.... :wink: :whistle: :innocent:
Yes And blokes NEVER use PM to harrass old girlfriends, never set up new ids to intimidate them and never use the forum as a way to get information on past girlfriends..
Just doesn't happen :D
(Yes I know you'd not do that CJ :flower: present company is truely excepted from my remarks!)

Andy McGregor
21st-June-2005, 12:21 PM
Yes And blokes NEVER use PM to harrass old girlfriends, never set up new ids to intimidate them and never use the forum as a way to get information on past girlfriends..
You can do that with the Forum? :confused: I had a girlfriend called Sandra in the 4th form in 1972. Where do I start?

DianaS
21st-June-2005, 12:25 PM
You can do that with the Forum? :confused: I had a girlfriend called Sandra in the 4th form in 1972. Where do I start?
Friends reunited silly :hug:
Follow the yellow brick road!
www.friendsreunited.co.uk/

David Bailey
21st-June-2005, 04:48 PM
You can do that with the Forum?
:rofl:

The Forum knows all, the Forum sees all, the Forum tells all - and tells it again, and again and again.

Question not the power of the Forum, young one.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-June-2005, 05:23 PM
I have a forum problem - when i click on CHIT CHAT all the threads inside seemed to be filled with absolute gibberish. Why is this ?

Andy McGregor
21st-June-2005, 06:35 PM
I have a forum problem - when i click on CHIT CHAT all the threads inside seemed to be filled with absolute gibberish. Why is this ?G.I.G.O. :wink:

LMC
21st-June-2005, 07:01 PM
I have a forum problem - when i click on CHIT CHAT all the threads inside seemed to be filled with absolute gibberish. Why is this ?

We can probably talk gibberish on all the boards if that will help :innocent:

David Bailey
21st-June-2005, 07:51 PM
Was the label "Chit Chat" not a bit of a giveaway?

I also have a forum problem; I don't know what the hell "laldy" means and it's been bugging me...

DavidY
21st-June-2005, 10:37 PM
I don't know what the hell "laldy" means and it's been bugging me...Harperlink... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20532#post20532)

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 08:53 AM
Harperlink... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20532#post20532)
Thanks, so "Giving it laldy" = "wearing an orange kilt"? Still no wiser... :confused:

Dance Demon
22nd-June-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks, so "Giving it laldy" = "wearing an orange kilt"? Still no wiser... :confused:

Scottish term for doing something " with gusto"......as in

I saw you up there dancin' last night....ye were fair gein' it laldy"..........

DavidY
22nd-June-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks, so "Giving it laldy" = "wearing an orange kilt"? Still no wiser... :confused:Scroll down a few posts & there's a definition. The kilt was just to give it context.

Jive Brummie
22nd-June-2005, 02:32 PM

Is it too late to welcome you to the

Ceroc Scotland Forum

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 03:04 PM
Is it too late to welcome you to the

Ceroc Scotland Forum

Possibly... Is there a Southern Nancy's Glossary somewhere?

:whistle:

CJ
22nd-June-2005, 03:25 PM
Possibly... Is there a Southern Nancy's Glossary somewhere?

:whistle:

More importantly, where can we find Nancy's Southern Glossy?? :yum:

Ohhhhhhhhh, Glossary?? :whistle:

Gadget
22nd-June-2005, 04:11 PM
Not like you to forget your 'ar's CJ :wink: