PDA

View Full Version : The hardest thing when you started to learn...

Franck
12th-April-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

I thought I would start a discussion about what you found the hardest when you started learning Ceroc (or any dancing)... I am sure we will find some common themes developing. :nice:

When I started Ceroc, the hardest thing for me was to remember the moves and think ahead to the next move. I found I could do most beginners moves ok, but I became totally frozen towards the end of a move. :what:

A second thing I struggled with when starting Ceroc was learning to relax after doing a couple of years of Jive, the very strict footwork was deeply set within me and I literally spent hours trying to get rid of it. :sad:

Apart from the 2 above, another memory is the fear of being asked by a teacher / advanced woman :sick: and realising that everything I had learnt had just completely vanished...

Well things did get better, though I still feel under pressure when asked by more advanced women (with high expectations...) :wink:

So go on, don't be coy, share your initial anxieties / difficulties with new Cerocers, let them know they are not alone, and that things do get better. :nice:

Franck.

Stuart M
12th-April-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Franck
When I started Ceroc, the hardest thing for me was to remember the moves and think ahead to the next move. I found I could do most beginners moves ok, but I became totally frozen towards the end of a move. :what: Yup, recognise this all too clearly...

A second thing I struggled with when starting Ceroc was learning to relax after doing a couple of years of Jive, the very strict footwork was deeply set within me and I literally spent hours trying to get rid of it. :sad: As someone whose ability to walk (even when sober) can at times look suspect, I can happily say I never had to unlearn any footwork...

For me the biggest thing was more pyschological: learning what to do when I made a mistake. Since you'll always be making mistakes when dancing, the ability to shrug it off, make a joke with your partner, turn it into another move, or just simply apologise is the most important set of skills you'll ever learn in dancing IMHO.

filthycute
12th-April-2002, 06:00 PM
The thing i found hardest when i was learning was the beat. The Ceroc beat is like 2 of any other beat. Took me a while to adapt and realise that for every 2 steps i took it was actually 1 in ceroc

anybody get what i'm saying? :sick: not really sure how to explain it to someone who only knows the ceroc beat......

Line dancing beat-: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ceroc beat-: 1 2 3 4

ok probably too confusing...haha :D

filthycute x x

oh by the way.....like you Franck i have a lot of catching up to do.....i don't have my internet at home at the mo, so snatching time on my mums to catch up :grin:

DavidB
12th-April-2002, 06:00 PM
A simple summary of Ceroc for men - leading your partner to dance together with the music. I generally have problems with every single part of this.

'... leading your partner ...'
I first learnt Ceroc at Pineapple Studios in London in 1986. They just had classes, and did not have freestyle afterwards. After a couple of months, I went to my first Ceroc night, and realised I had a problem. I could do the moves ok, but I couldn't think of what move to do next! My first 2 dances must have been horrible for my partner, but it suddenly clicked at the start of the third. 16 years later I am still learning how to lead.

'... to dance together ...'
This is the hardest individual part. I can now lead acceptably well, and occasionally hit a break, but I still look like I'm a rugby player holding onto a dancer by one hand. This excuse is starting to wear a bit thin - I've now been dancing twice as long as I played rugby.

'... with the music ...'
Several years ago I got a copy of the US Open Swing Dance Championship video. I thought they were doing routines, because everything fitted so well with the music. But they were just doing freestyle. It was the first time I had seen musical interpretation - from the simple hitting of breaks, to dancing with the whole mood of the music. Breaks are relatively easy - it is interpreting the other 90% of the song that I have problems with.

But the hardest part about dancing - trying to do everything at the same time!

The easiest part is having fun!

David

filthycute
12th-April-2002, 06:01 PM
damn! i never previewed that last post and the count of the beats i did turned out completely different from the way i had it typed......oh well.....now it just looks daft :yum:

DavidB
12th-April-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by filthycute

Line Dancing Beat-: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ceroc Beat--------: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

I know what you mean. It gets worse when the teacher counts through the step with the 'Ceroc beat' whilst teaching, then switches to the normal music beat as soon as the music starts. Unfortunately this is very common.

It also causes problems if you go on to learn another style of dance (eg West Coast Swing), where you dance on every beat.

David

Graham
14th-April-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Franck - I thought it was just me! I definitely found myself getting stuck at the end of moves, and I also get intimidated by more experienced women (especially the first time I dance with them, which therefore turns out to be the last as well!!).

I had the opposite problem with footwork, though - for ages I thought you were directly addressing me when you kept emphasizing that the leader should move, and not just yank the follower around (perhaps you were! :wink: ).

The other thing I found was when thinking ahead to the next move I would corrupt the move I was doing, so ending up trying to lead "in between" the two moves, completely confusing my partner :sorry .

Another thing I found difficult was recovering from a mistake. There are some moves where a lot of women instinctively offer their left hand instead of their right, and originally I had to just stop dancing and start again to recover from this :tears: , although I'd like to think my improvisation has got a little better since then :grin: .

Of course, this is just what I thought I found difficult - maybe some of my partners could add a whole bunch more!!

Fox
14th-April-2002, 07:21 PM
For me it was the beat or the rhythm which is kinda strange because I've played in bands for over ten years. When I went to ceroc I was really surprised to find it hard to catch the beat. Funnily enuff I met another musician at Dundee a couple of weeks ago and he said the same thing, he had the same baffled expression I must have had when I started.
:grin:

the only other thing I found difficult was asking girls to dance when I only knew about 4 different moves.

btw, filthycute, I know what you mean :nice:

Fox

dougmeister
16th-May-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Fox
For me it was the beat or the rhythm which is kinda strange.

The only other thing I found difficult was asking girls to dance when I only knew about 4 different moves.

Fox

I am only starting to appreciate that there is a beat. Up until now I have been reoccupied with trying to remember left & right hand moves. For a while I felt everything was left-handed and could never quite fathom out how to change to the right-side.

As for rhythm... :confused:

I have been lucky enough to find some women who have already sussed that one out. If I get a dance or two per night with them it seems to help. But, I know what you are saying...

:cheers:
Keep on cerocing man!

Funkmaster
3rd-June-2002, 04:45 PM
W'oh, I totally agree with the difficulties for (male) beginners!

Thinking of a move, remembering how to get through it, thinking ahead to the next move, neatly seque-ing from one move to the next, etc.

And aside from all that, dancing in time to the music! It's rather embarrassing to be dancing with a (more experienced) lady and thinking you're doing OK and then she politely points out that you should dance in time to the music!

And yes, dancing with an experienced woman is quite intimidating! :-)

I'm sure (says he, optimistically) that it will all come with practice!

Jon Lanceley
4th-June-2002, 04:01 PM
When I started and as most of these posts have mentioned is that for men it's remembering a move and then linking it with another move. It's funny how many moves you can remember sitting down but when you get on the dance floor it's like your memory has been erased.

What I did was when I learnt a new move I wrote down how to do it on paper. I then tried to make short names of routines that I could do e.g.: CAR would stand for Catapult, Armjive, Right hand pushspin. Then go armed with afew of these and it helped.

Each week I chose some other moves I had written down to practice that week. And I found after a short time that I had alot of moves that I could do really well without thinking about them.

Don't forget the beginner ladies though at least the men can do the moves they know the lady has no idea what is coming next so I think beginner men have it easier! Sorry guys.

If you want to learn quickly then do the Workshops they really help. I did all the beginner workshops 1 a week every sunday and then did them again. I found doing them twice really helped hammer the moves in to my memory and they became natural.

I've now done 17 workshops in the 8 months I've been dancing and I get alot of compliments from the ladies I've danced with, which is nice and I give compliments myself to women.

I would say that now I am a good dancer and I change my dancing to the mood of the music. Musical interpretation is difficult to do but it makes the dance look and feel good. I think in general the ladys can do musical interpretation easier than the guys but the key thing for the guys is to listen to the music when the beat stops you stop, when it slows you slow down.

Above all no matter who you dance with if both of you smile then you will already look 100% better to anyone watching. And it's all about having fun. After awhile it will become natural. Last week while dancing with a beginner lady she said 'Im tring to think what move your going to do next'. I replied 'That will be hard cause I dont even know'. It all depends what position we are both in at the end of a move which makes me decide in a nano second what move to do next. Basicaly I do whatever feels comfortable and natural.

I see men leading moves which they think they know but don't. From experience I know that you need to MASTER the beginner moves then move onto easy intermediate moves. Take it slowly and the complicated moves will become easier. Besides the ladies much prefer a dance to be led well than doing lots of complicated moves that are badly led. Even the beginner moves can be made to look fantastic. I thought I had mastered the beginner moves then the teacher at a venue said 'right tonight we are going to look putting some Style into the moves'. They were still the same beginner moves but executed differently and they became a challenge to master again. So if you think you know lots of moves then have a look at your style and learn how to do the moves differently it's a challenge. But thats why Ceroc is fun and additive.

Franck
5th-June-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Jon Lanceley
/SNIP some really interesting observations/
Basically I do whatever feels comfortable and natural.Wow Jon, That was some post you made. I really agree with many of your observations and experiences, and I am sure a lot of Beginner men reading, will be encouraged to see your progression so clearly laid out, like a road map for them to follow.

Ceroc is a fast-progress dance. You can go from complete beginner to expert in 6 months only, and typically, you can dance with confidence in 2/3 weeks and reach intermediate level within 2 months... In my opinion, this makes it unique and totally magical. :nice:

Feel free to share some more of your views / experience in some of the other threads or indeed to create your own subject thead.

Franck.

Franck
5th-June-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Funkmaster
And aside from all that, dancing in time to the music! It's rather embarrassing to be dancing with a (more experienced) lady and thinking you're doing OK and then she politely points out that you should dance in time to the music!Ouch, I empathize with that! :sorry
Getting the beat can be quite a challenge, especially when you are already busy remembering the moves... CAT, etc... ;)
Though as you say, it all comes with practice and building confidence.

Originally posted by Funkmaster
And yes, dancing with an experienced woman is quite intimidating! :-)No wonder, based on the above...
It just occurred to me that apart from FilthyCute, no women have posted on this thread... I wonder why?
Is it because:
- everything is easy for women (cough, splutter :wink: )
- They are reluctant to admit to early failings
- They blame the men for everything!
- Not being as technically gifted as us men, they have not found the Beginners forum!!! :wink:

Come on ladies, tell us why, and how hard it really was when you started!!!

Franck.

Dancing Veela
5th-September-2002, 04:56 PM
Ok - my first time on the forum - so bear with me - or should that be bare with me????

Anyway Franck why have no women replied on this subject???? Because we were all born knowing how to dance - and in time to the music too!!!!!

No seriously - the hardest thing for me was to let a man lead me (many men still make that complaint!!!) - it's very very hard when you are all beginners and nobody knows any of the moves - and in general the women do learn the moves more quickly than the men - so it was very hard not to lead the moves when the men couldn't do them - or remember what came next and when you start of like that it's hard to get out of the habit.

The best advice I was ever given was by our teacher at the time (a woman) who said 'women please leave your brains at the door when you come into Ceroc - just relax and let the men lead you'

Now that I've been dancing Ceroc a few years I do try my best only to lead men when they are needing a helping hand - some beginner men are lost and need a gentle reminder of what to do next and once they get the hang or the feel of it - then they usually manage to lead it.

filthycute
5th-September-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Dancing Vila

Anyway Franck why have no women replied on this subject????

Which means i am?????? :what:

:yum:

filthycute x x

Dougmeister
5th-September-2002, 09:51 PM
Ok - my first time on the forum - so bear with me - or should that be bare with me????

Been here before and still keep forgetting my password?????

On with the real subject: Women leading.....

It goes something like this; I being male starts the lead and the woman follows. Yes? No. My arm or arms get pulled from one place to another then woman I am dancing with will look at me with a blank expression indicating that I'm not leading, which by this point I no longer know what I was doing in the first place. This I may add gets worse when I bravely attempt an intermediate class, all I need is two women to come in a row who don't have a clue what they are doing and I'm blown away.

I am sure there are times where I am lead and appreciated the help my partner has given. But beginners who demand that they must lead is worse than hell itself. How can I lead if I am being lead...

Gadget
10th-October-2002, 06:40 PM
The hardest thing I still find is timing the end of a song with the end of a move, or as I gain more experiance, with a lean, dip or seducer.
...And getting out of a tangle of arms. {Although I've recently been learning that you just let go of one hand.}
...And getting my right and left mixed up.
...And remembering the move I was prepairing in my head; once I think 'I'll try that', I find I have the wrong hand, then do a move that swapped hands and got my partner into the correct hand in the correct positoin and promptly forget why I wanted them there in the first place and do somthing completley different.
...And not spinning my partner into other dancers.
I still havn't got the hang of any of these, perhaps with experiance?:innocent:

Gadget
10th-October-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Dougmeister
<-> How can I lead if I am being lead...
Just as an aside, I have found that by not doing what your partner is expecting (or leading you into) and being more forceful about these moves, they relinquish the lead.

OK so it sometimes takes two or three surprises.

My very first ceroc dance was with a woman that lead very strongly from the off; mainly because she thought I didn't know what I was doing :what:. {She was right, but when you are not given a chance to prove yourself it's very off-putting}

dougmeister
10th-October-2002, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gadget
[B]

First, I meant led not lead. :confused:

Gadget, you have observed and made a fine point, but, why has no women Cerocers replied yet! Maybe Filthycute could ask her friends and give a woman's point of view on what you've just said. It's a while since Filthycute said anything! Especially, when you have been very frank and honest about what you have had to say...

Keep on Cerocing man!

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-October-2002, 02:54 PM
I guess its different for everybody. I never really had a problem moving to music - my problem at the beginning was knowing enough moves to make it a proper dance. Once I got to 6 moves or so I felt I started to look a bit better, if repetitive :).

That was 2 and a half years ago and my problem now is lack of practice. I seem to be pretty much incapable of 'thinking' of a move, it just has to be there, which only comes with practice (demonstrated when my partner asks me to do a particular move and it appears 3 dances later :) ) Makes it all the harder when Im nervous as my brain seems to come up with yo-yos and first moves (regressing to those 6 moves again). So for anyone whos only danced with me once or twice, I was undoubtedly nervous and probably dire - we'll dance again...I get much better with familiarity :). Strangely though, I have come across a few individuals who seem to fit in very well with my 'style' and then it seems easy, and Im not nervous :). Very rare though.

Dancing Veela
22nd-October-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
So for anyone whos only danced with me once or twice, I was undoubtedly nervous and probably dire - we'll dance again...I get much better with familiarity :). DS you are NEVER dire to dance with!!!!!! You are lovely to dance with!

I look forward to dancing again and to the familiarity :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-October-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Dancing Veela
DS you are NEVER dire to dance with!!!!!! You are lovely to dance with!

I look forward to dancing again and to the familiarity :wink: Nice of you to say so but I think you were always one of those people that I danced better than average with - Im normally much worse :).

We'll get familiar next time I see you ;)

Dancing Veela
22nd-October-2002, 04:26 PM
We'll get familiar next time I see you ;)

Promises Promises - now go get back to work!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Sandy
22nd-October-2002, 07:52 PM
Come on ladies, tell us why, and how hard it really was when you started!!!

Franck.

OK. It has probably all been said but I have horrible memories of just freaking out, turning to stone, not being able to listen to instructions. FEAR took over. Everyone looked so good and seemed to know what they were doing, EXCEPT ME! Had I found my girlfriend I would have left after 10 minutes! thank god i didn't!

Main problems -

1. confidence, it seems to vanish when you most need it - why assume you should be able to dance straight away - chill out and listen to the teacher and not watch everyone else (this still happens to me!)
2. Not letting your partner lead - I seemed to try to take over, god knows why I hadn't a clue where I was going! Anxiety maybe!
3. Beat - you don't even notice that at all at first, so busy trying to do steps - calm down and listen for the beat and it is so much easier
4. Imagine everyone is laughing at you or disappointed that they get you as a partner. Forget it, they are probably laughing at their own mistakes
5. Ability to trod on just about everyone's feet or turn the wrong way or throw myself into a drop to the horror of a totally unsuspecting partner - how is your head Dave???

All that said I am glad I have and am sticking it out because it is brilliant fun and definitely worth it:nice:

Sandy:wink:

Tiggerbabe
22nd-October-2002, 10:33 PM
So for anyone whos only danced with me once or twice, I was undoubtedly nervous and probably dire - we'll dance again...I get much better with familiarity :). Strangely though, I have come across a few individuals who seem to fit in very well with my 'style' and then it seems easy, and Im not nervous :). Very rare though.

Now I'm hoping that we already are familiar:wink: I love dancing with you and we had a great dance on Sunday.
You have lovely style and also a very nice smile (most important:yum: )

You are too modest by far young man and might I add intermediate finalist:waycool:

Unregistered
4th-December-2002, 04:23 PM
I went to my first lesson just recently and the thing I found most difficult was trying to get those spins down without falling into people or sprawling halfway across the dancefloor. Is it a matter of balance? More slippery shoes? Just felt that I couldn't get myself round fast enough to stay on the beat.

Also found it difficult to let the guy lead, but when dancing with a taxi dancer found that with a strong lead, I just have to sit back and enjoy it... not much work there.

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 04:40 PM
For me, the hardest part was actually going along to the classes. I was fine once I was there, but very shy about going on my own (I'm really a very shy person). It took me about a month before I'd actually go on my own (before that, my friend had to drag me). Also, the other hard part was actually asking people to dance with me. It took me about 2.5 years before I'd managed to ask everyone on my list. I'd always watch the women who were really good, and never feel confident enough to actually go ask them to dance with me. I was sure that they'd hate the experience....

Steve

Lou
4th-December-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I went to my first lesson just recently and the thing I found most difficult was trying to get those spins down without falling into people or sprawling halfway across the dancefloor. Is it a matter of balance? More slippery shoes? Just felt that I couldn't get myself round fast enough to stay on the beat.
Pretty much, yup. Slippy shoes help. That and a bit of practice. Keeping my feet together as I spin helps me, and also trying to stay close to my partner.

Also found it difficult to let the guy lead, but when dancing with a taxi dancer found that with a strong lead, I just have to sit back and enjoy it... not much work there. [/B]
As a beginner you must let the man lead. Concentrate on staying relaxed, following his hand & going where he puts you. :wink:

Franck
4th-December-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I went to my first lesson just recently and the thing I found most difficult was trying to get those spins down without falling into people or sprawling halfway across the dancefloor. Is it a matter of balance? More slippery shoes? Just felt that I couldn't get myself round fast enough to stay on the beat. Hi and welcome to the Forum. I hope you manage to register soon, so you can read all the good advice in the Intermediate section!

Re. spinning, the first thing to do is not to worry too much. Spinning improves with (lots and lots of) practice.
First of all, try to slow down your spins, you should not have to rush a spin, and after that it is a matter of balance indeed, mostly developing the leg muscles that will keep you upright spinning on the ball of one foot! :nice:
Shoes make a big difference, but I would wait before investing in any pair of (potentially) expensive shoes... Get dancing first, and find out what really suits you. Having said that, I would avoid trainers (except dance trainers) as they have such a good grip, they might prevent you from spinning altogether...

Don't hesitate to ask for help in here or on the nights you attend, the teacher and taxi-dancers are there to help.

Franck.

SwingSwingSwing
4th-December-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Also, the other hard part was actually asking people to dance with me. It took me about 2.5 years before I'd managed to ask everyone on my list. I'd always watch the women who were really good, and never feel confident enough to actually go ask them to dance with me. I was sure that they'd hate the experience....

To this day, I still find it hard asking for a dance. It's not so bad when asking people that I know but if it's someone I haven't danced with before or someone who I have a high regard for then I clam up!

For example, I was at an event in Coventry last month and I reckon I danced with 3 or 4 people outside my "usual" circle the whole weekend!

SwingSwingSwing

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 05:03 PM
and never feel confident enough to actually go ask them to dance with me. I was sure that they'd hate the experience....Incidentally, all those women I have danced with. There's no need to point out how much you did hate the experience!!!

Steve

PeterL
28th-January-2003, 02:35 PM
originally posted by Frank

Ceroc is a fast-progress dance. You can go from complete beginner to expert in 6 months only, and typically, you can dance with confidence in 2/3 weeks and reach intermediate level within 2 months... In my opinion, this makes it unique and totally magical.

I have to agree with this, however it took me about a year to even class myself as a good beginner, I couldn't lead the moves , I didn't know what a beat was etc. However I am used to these problems as I am clumsy and have a total lack of spatial awareness due to being dispraxic. I have however always persevered at things that most people find easy as I do not consider myself disabled.

There are 4 stages to learning something new.

1. Unconscious incompetence
this is where you don't even know what you don't know (never heard of it)
2. conscious incompetence.
This is where you know of the skill and can't do it
3. conscious competence
This is where you can do it when you are thinking about it.
4. unconscious competence
This is where you can do it without even thinking about it.

Think of learning to drive. when you can do it you don't even think about it you point the car where you want it to go and the gear work etc is done unconsciously.

I found that I was absolutely awful until I reached the 4th stage of learning (this is the case in all physical activities with myself).
So the only advise I can give new people is don't worry about it you will be awful. One day however you will reach the 4th stage and it will just click. For some this will be quick for others it will take a while , but when it does just enjoy the dance, you have put in the hours learning, now have fun.

And for those you have clicked, take the time to dance with people for who it hasn't, the only way they get there is by dancing and you will not only have invested in a future dance partner but you will enjoy the expressions on there face as you lead moves so well that they do it correctly even though they thought they couldn't do it. And always say something nice (remember how it helped your confidence). I.e. don't tell them to relax, this comes with time.

azande
29th-January-2003, 05:58 PM
I only started three months ago and I have the same problems outlined before. Another thing I find difficult to get right is the strength of the lead. It can't be too strong because you don't want to pull your partner's arms off, and not too weak because otherwise they don't understand what you want to do or they misinterpret it. I suppose it is a question of practice and it varies from partner to partner but I'm still in the dark on this.

PeterL
29th-January-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by azande
It can't be too strong because you don't want to pull your partner's arms off, and not too weak because otherwise they don't understand what you want to do or they misinterpret it.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me on this but a I find the longer I have been dancing the lighter my lead has become. If you are distinct and obvious with what you want you never need to be forceful. Don't push hard but be precise. I know that we get taught to give the lady momentum on the spin, but I find that this just puts them of balance unless they are experienced themselves, so be precise and obvious and don't be strong would be my advice. A strong lead can have a light touch.

Dave Hancock
30th-January-2003, 11:07 AM
Tottally agree with what Peter says regarding the longer you've been dancing the less pressure you need to exert with the lead. I think it is to do with the quality of the lead rather than the power, indeed if you are too physically strong in leading you are only likely to a) hurt your partner by jerky movements and b) put her off balance as she may not be ready for whyat you are aobut to do which are both undesirable.

It really is a question of being firm without being overly physical, it really is something which comes only with practice I'm afraid

Sandy
30th-January-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
I think it is to do with the quality of the lead rather than the power, indeed if you are too physically strong in leading you are only likely to a) hurt your partner by jerky movements and b) put her off balance as she may not be ready for whyat you are aobut to do which are both undesirable.

It really is a question of being firm without being overly physical, it really is something which comes only with practice I'm afraid

Absolutely Dave. From a female perspective, I can say that I have danced with quite a mixture of styles and the better dancers don't need to yank your arm or push you into place like some kind of mechanical arm! ouch!. There is a huge difference between firm and forceful. I've found I prefer to dance with guys who have a firm but non pushy style and don't worry me that they are going to fling me straight into the path of some other dancer :reallymad

Hey Dave, no need to worry when dancing with you:wink:

Cheers

Sandy:na:

Twinkle Toes
26th-March-2003, 11:27 PM
No seriously - the hardest thing for me was to let a man lead me (many men still make that complaint!!!) - it's very very hard when you are all beginners and nobody knows any of the moves - and in general the women do learn the moves more quickly than the men - so it was very hard not to lead the moves when the men couldn't do them - or remember what came next and when you start of like that it's hard to get out of the habit.

The best advice I was ever given was by our teacher at the time (a woman) who said 'women please leave your brains at the door when you come into Ceroc - just relax and let the men lead you'

I couldn't have said it better myself DV.

Wendy
29th-March-2003, 01:19 AM
And it is possible to lead (well some moves) without touching which is really fun !!! Franck did this in a workshop and it's amazing. I think eye contact has a lot to do with it or is that just my imagination....

I'm still working on that very ! bad habit of taking control when I shouldn't !!! (2 years on !) and being a taxi makes it worse !!!

And then there are the guys I totally trust and I relax a little and let them do their stuff... mmmm.... and then I get to improvise if I'm lucky !!!!

As Calvin said the other day " Dancing should be a conversation between two people where each has an equal opportunity for expression....." love that !!!

Wx

Sandy
30th-March-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
As Calvin said the other day " Dancing should be a conversation between two people where each has an equal opportunity for expression....." love that !!!

Wx

Oh my God, that sounds just wonderful. Haven't danced for nearly 2 weeks, can't wait to have a long conversation on Tuesday:grin:

Not so sure about this! Depends on how good the lead is I would think:wink:

Sandy

Gadget
31st-March-2003, 01:18 PM
And it is possible to lead (well some moves) without touching which is really fun !!!
Glad to know that it's fun; I have been known to "loose" partners and just lead air for a few moves if I miss a catch or the lady misses my signal :sorry (The result of spinning the lady too far away and not giving obvious enough signals)
Should incorporate that into the workshop: "Disaster recovery can be fun!" :rolleyes: ;)

As to dancing Ceroc being a "conversation", I don't think the anology works - I think perhaps an "interview" would be closer; the lead has to direct the flow to get what they want out of their partner, but give the partner room enough to show what they are capable of.

Graham
31st-March-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
As to dancing Ceroc being a "conversation", I don't think the anology works - I think perhaps an "interview" would be closer; the lead has to direct the flow to get what they want out of their partner, but give the partner room enough to show what they are capable of.
A number of female dancers are helping Gadget with his inquiries. :wink:

Wendy
31st-March-2003, 02:10 PM
oops

Wendy
31st-March-2003, 02:12 PM
A 2-way interview perhaps !!! Sometimes the interviewee just doesn't want the job after meeting the interviewer !!!!!!!!!!

I'm sticking with Calvin on this one !!!!!

Wx

Gadget
31st-March-2003, 03:44 PM
A 2-way interview perhaps !!! Sometimes the interviewee just doesn't want the job after meeting the interviewer !
Sometimes a lady will not dance with a man again after one dance!
Any interview is two way anyway; the person being interviewed is trying to work out what the interviewer wants and phrase their response to suit. They are also trying to determine if the interviewer knows what they are talking about and if their needs match the interviewie (sp?).
The more I think about it, the better the anology.

A number of female dancers are helping Gadget with his inquiries.
...do de do be do inspector gadget, do be do be do... do do... I thought since it was going around my head I would let it out to infect everyone else... :wink:

Wendy
31st-March-2003, 04:38 PM
Sometimes a lady will not dance with a man again after one dance!

Really ????!!!.....

And what is the job exactly in this scenario ????

Wx

Gadget
1st-April-2003, 01:48 PM
Really ????!!!.....

And what is the job exactly in this scenario ????

Wx
What position would you like to apply for then ? :innocent:

Wendy
1st-April-2003, 02:11 PM
What position would you like to apply for then ? :innocent:

So the boy is the interviewer, the girl is applying for the job... I think this is fantasy island rather than an accurate analogy my friend !!!!

Wx

Tiggerbabe
1st-April-2003, 11:03 PM
Way to go Wendy!:wink: Hee Hee :D

newby
1st-April-2003, 11:58 PM
I am new to ceroc classes and I'm in a quandry. I want to be able to dance like the couples that are obviously having a ball during the "freestyle". I love the music, I love the style of dancing but I am uncomfortable with the format of the actual class.
I HATE having to walk up, down and stand at the side - it's so degrading! I like having the opportunity to dance with other nice people, but I cringe when I am faced with the occasional partner whose expression and body language are obviously "being nice" to my lack of experience nor do I welcome the attention I've had from a couple of creeps.
My partner and I would like to learn to ceroc, have been to three classes and have yet to dance together. If I am at the back of the hall I see nothing of the instructor because there are too many people in front of me. We want to learn to ceroc but the hardest thing for us about learning is that instead of learning together we get split up and teamed up with sometimes nice, sometimes indifferent and sometimes people I really don't want to hold hands with.
Does anyone give lessons to couples?

Twinkle Toes
2nd-April-2003, 12:35 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newby

I HATE having to walk up, down and stand at the side - it's so degrading! I like having the opportunity to dance with other nice people, but I cringe when I am faced with the occasional partner whose expression and body language are obviously "being nice" to my lack of experience nor do I welcome the attention I've had from a couple of creeps.
and sometimes people I really don't want to hold hands with.
Does anyone give lessons to couples?

:sad: I think a lot of newcomers, especially ladies ! feel the same way, and yes, body language does tell you a lot, doesn't it ! :(

However, you can console yourself with the fact that it is the same for all of us, and once you get into the swing of things you'll be able to be more choosy. :wink:

TheTramp
2nd-April-2003, 01:18 AM
Newby, If you don't want to walk up and down the lines, and stand at the side, and you have a fixed partner, I'm sure that you can find somewhere in the hall where you and your fixed partner can just do the class together, without having to be in the lines.

However, I have to say that I totally don't recommend this. One of the good things about getting a number of new partners in the class, is that you learn how to dance with a number of different styles. If you only ever dance with one person, you only get to learn to dance in the style he dances in.

I'm not quite sure I understand why you consider it degrading either. Although, I do quite understand your comments about some of the people that you find yourself partnered with. If it's any consolation, it's pretty much the same for everyone else in the lines. There are always people that you don't really want to dance with at any class, and when you're doing the class, sometimes you can't avoid them. It's the same for everyone though. And when it comes down to it, you're probably not with that person for more than a minute or two at the most. It's not exactly a lifetime..... (although, it may seem like it at the time). On the other hand, sometimes you do get to meet people in the line that you wouldn't normally, and they turn out to be people that you like dancing with....

Steve

John S
2nd-April-2003, 01:52 AM
Dear Newby

The Tramp is right (OMIGOD, did I really say that??)

You probably can find somewhere just for you and your partner to dance together, but honestly, if you move around during the class and dance with other people you will learn better than dancing with your partner all the time - always assuming the partner is still a raw beginner - since you would just compound each other's mistakes and probably fall out as well! (However I think that is probably different if the partner is at intermediate or above level, when it would work, as effectively you would be getting 1:1 tuition.)

I do remember as a beginner counting round to see who I would be dancing with next, and sometime my heart would sink - not always because the lady was rubbish, sometimes because she was so good I felt like rubbish! But those occasions were far outweighed by the thousands of fabulous dances I have had with all the lovely people I have met over the last 4 years.

And once you have danced with somebody in the class it is far easier to ask them for a dance during the freestyle. Anyone who refuses or looks down on you, just because you're a beginner, isn't worth even getting upset about as they've clearly forgotten where they came from and completely lost the plot.

It can be dispiriting when you want to learn a move if there are lots of "extra" women and you're quickly back off the floor, but please don't think of it as degrading - it's as fair a way as can be devised to give everyone a chance to dance, as not everyone comes with their partner. (And of course, once you get to know the other ladies who are sitting out that part of the lesson you can take part in the usual chattering, so that when they come back on they haven't a clue what move has just been taught!!!!)

Gadget
2nd-April-2003, 12:40 PM
So the boy is the interviewer, the girl is applying for the job... I think this is fantasy island rather than an accurate analogy my friend !!!!
Naaa - I have a lot better fantasies than that. :devil::wink:

...and I would replace "boy/girl" with "lead/follower"; with all the cross-dancing posts recently and who should be leading/following.

Originally posted by newby
I am new to ceroc classes and I'm in a quandry. I want to be able to dance like the couples that are obviously having a ball during the "freestyle". I love the music, I love the style of dancing but I am uncomfortable with the format of the actual class. ~snip~ Does anyone give lessons to couples?
I have to agree with all the above, but what they have missed is the key to your quandry: Taxi dancers.
They are there to help you go over the moves and get things right - work with them and your partner during the intermediate class.
And why not dance with your partner during the freestyle sessions? - the only way to improve is to practice.

Sandy
2nd-April-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Sandy
Haven't danced for nearly 2 weeks, can't wait to have a long conversation on Tuesday:grin:

Sandy Had the conversation and believe you me it was brilliant - who needs words when you can dance!

Tiggerbabe
2nd-April-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by John S
(And of course, once you get to know the other ladies who are sitting out that part of the lesson you can take part in the usual chattering, so that when they come back on they haven't a clue what move has just been taught!!!!)

And this is , of course, when we rely on the EXCELLENT leading of the men - who ALWAYS:what:pay attention and NEVER forget which move is it they are doing. :wink: :cheers:

newby
7th-April-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your positive response to my rather negative posting!

The Tramp and John S are probably right about the benefits of learning with a variety of partners as opposed to learning the steps with only one partner.
It's my problem as I am quite (very!) shy and am not confident when faced with a hallful of strangers as dance partners. I'm going to persevere, though, because I suppose most people are in the same boat (not knowing who there dancing with) and they're mostly nice people and we're all just looking for a bit of fun. I think it will get easier.
The only other thing I have to conquer now is - to let my partner lead! This is extremely difficult when I am concentrating on the moves and totally blank my partner, purely because I can't do two things at once (well not when they're both new!!!)

Graham
8th-April-2003, 11:47 AM
The Tramp and John S are probably right about the benefits of learning with a variety of partners as opposed to learning the steps with only one partner.

Hi newby,

The other aspect to bear in mind is that your partner (I imagine)will not yet be very good at doing the moves himself. If you try and dance with a good dancer (eg a teacher/taxi), you'll find you don't have to think of the steps, because they'll be leading you into the right movements anyway.

Happy dancing!

Graham

Franck
8th-April-2003, 12:46 PM
I'm going to persevere, though, because I suppose most people are in the same boat (not knowing who there dancing with) and they're mostly nice people and we're all just looking for a bit of fun. I think it will get easier.Hi Newby,
Sorry I missed your post earlier... This is a common problem, and I know it can be daunting...
As others have said, the best way to learn is to dance with as many people as possible, some will be new and struggle, others will be experienced and will make you understand how the move should feel...
As you say, everyone is in the same boat, and we try *very* hard to make the classes relaxed...

The Ceroc teaching formula is well tested, and has helped thousands of people not only learn to dance, but discover how enjoyable dancing is... to a newcomer, it might appear unusual, and sometime counter-intuitive, but as a teacher of 10 years + I can speak with confidence in saying that as long as you stick with it, you will become a great (and enthusiastic) dancer. :nice:

The only other thing I have to conquer now is - to let my partner lead! This is extremely difficult when I am concentrating on the moves and totally blank my partner, purely because I can't do two things at once (well not when they're both new!!!) As Graham says, you should not have to concentrate too much, focus on following your right hand... Wherever your partner takes it, allow your body to follow... it's that simple.

What would help is to note the men you felt were able to lead you during the Beginners' class and make sure you ask them for a dance later in the evening... If that's too scary a prospect, you can start with the taxi-dancers...

good luck Newby, and if you see me in Glasgow, make sure you get me up for a dance...

Franck.

Jon
9th-April-2003, 12:44 AM
As a guy dancing with a beginner I tend to repeat the moves done during the class and when I feel they are comfortable doing them in the order they were taught I start doing those moves in different orders so the lady gets to learn how to follow.

What really annoys me is the men who are clearly dancing with a beginner and they try and do intermediate moves on them. I've even seen one person whos a demo in Kent try and do a drop on a person who's first night it was. Needless to say it didnt happen. Whats the point, if the beginners feel they are out of their depth then they wont be coming back.

Be nice to our beginners after all in afew months time they're be teaching us new moves!

Dance Demon
9th-April-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Jon
[B
What really annoys me is the men who are clearly dancing with a beginner and they try and do intermediate moves on them [/B]

Yep... we have guys that prey on beginners up here in Scotland too....strange they never seem to dance with more advanced dancers......:devil:

Gadget
9th-April-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Yep... we have guys that prey on beginners up here in Scotland too....strange they never seem to dance with more advanced dancers......:devil:
Hey! :reallymad: I dance with beginners at every opportunity and some of the moves I lead them through are classed as 'intermediate'; a different ending, or joining of two beginner moves and you have an intermediate move.
As long as you can lead the moves so that the lady is not confused, or give wrong signals and force the lady into a move, I don't see any reason not to.
If a beginner lady does not do what they 'should' (ie what I expect them to do) on a move, then I have probably messed up the lead and will try to work out how I could lead it better - most often it's because I have grown lazy with my lead and need to sharpen it up a bit.

Dips, leans, breaks and signaled moves I would consider closer to 'advanced' than 'intermediate', and would never try to lead a beginner through. (...and seldom lead anyone else through them because I can't remember them! :sorry)

TheTramp
9th-April-2003, 09:36 AM
Well, I guess that DD wasn't talking about you then Gadget.

You know. If the cap fits, and all that.

I think I can guess at least one of the people that DD is talking about though!! :D

Steve

Twinkle Toes
9th-April-2003, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dance Demon

Yes !!! and I can think of several, one of whom was a taxi dancer. I was so :reallymad to the extent that it stopped me from going to ceroc for about 5 months and it was only at the persistant persuasion of my friend, that I returned. Fortunately, this creep is now an ex- taxi dancer.

TheTramp
9th-April-2003, 11:22 PM
Would that have been in Edinburgh by any chance, Twinkle Toes??

Steve

Twinkle Toes
10th-April-2003, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheTramp
Would that have been in Edinburgh by any chance, Twinkle Toes??

Steve

Yep, how did you guess ? Don't tell me you were taken advantage of here as well !!!:wink: :wink:

TT

TheTramp
10th-April-2003, 11:56 AM
Just a lucky shot in the dark I think :)

I haven't been taken advantage of in Edinburgh yet, but I am open to offers :D

This goes for all other Scottish cities too.... And English ones. And anywhere else really....

Steve

Twinkle Toes
10th-April-2003, 01:09 PM

I haven't been taken advantage of in Edinburgh yet, but I am open to offers :D

This goes for all other Scottish cities too.... And English ones. And anywhere else really....

Steve

:rolleyes: So you're just a wee bit fussy then !!!

:D

TT

TheTramp
10th-April-2003, 01:14 PM
Very fussy.

I mean, I can discount 50% of the population immediately. :D

Steve

Twinkle Toes
10th-April-2003, 01:20 PM
Very fussy.

I mean, I can discount 50% of the population immediately. :D

Steve

Would that be male or female ? :innocent:
:D

TheTramp
10th-April-2003, 01:23 PM
That'd be the males that were being discounted.

Of course.....

But I still have no offers :tears:

Steve

Twinkle Toes
10th-April-2003, 01:30 PM

Of course.....

Steve

:what: Personally Steve, I just don't understand it. A big, macho guy like yourself .... and a dancing Don Juan to boot ....
me thinks you are pulling my leg :wink: :wink:

TT

Wendy
10th-April-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes
[B]me thinks you are pulling my leg :wink: :wink:

Been there TT !!! Hurts !!! That's why I'm too scared to take advantage of him - even although I could if I really wanted :devil:

Wxxx

Twinkle Toes
10th-April-2003, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wendy
Been there TT !!! Hurts !!! That's why I'm too scared to take advantage of him - even although I could if I really wanted :devil:

Wxxx

Ah, go for it Wendy, I'm sure he won't mind ... if fact I'm sure he'll make it really easy for you.:devil:
:wink: :wink:

TT

Wendy
10th-April-2003, 01:47 PM

Ah, go for it Wendy, I'm sure he won't mind ... if fact I'm sure he'll make it really easy for you.:devil:
:wink: :wink:

No no after you TT !!!

Wxxx

TheTramp
10th-April-2003, 02:19 PM
No need to fight ladies.

Plenty for all :rolleyes:

Steve

Dave Hancock
10th-April-2003, 02:23 PM

Of course.....

Steve

Damm - (makes mental note) no taking advantage of Mr Tramp come mid summer time:D

Wendy
10th-April-2003, 02:34 PM
Damm - (makes mental note) no taking advantage of Mr Tramp come mid summer time:D

There's always Chicklet......

Wx

Dave Hancock
10th-April-2003, 05:20 PM
There's always Chicklet......

Wx
What to take advantage of Tramp:confused: :confused:

Chicklet
10th-April-2003, 05:33 PM

He won't want me now we are officially affianced. The touchy feely stuff disappears now.

:tears:

Dance Demon
10th-April-2003, 05:54 PM

Yes !!! and I can think of several, one of whom was a taxi dancer. I was so :reallymad to the extent that it stopped me from going to ceroc for about 5 months and it was only at the persistant persuasion of my friend, that I returned. Fortunately, this creep is now an ex- taxi dancer.

Sorry Gadget ..I should have been more specific, as I do most of my Cerocing in Edinburgh::sorry ...But I think TT is probably thinking along the same lines as me...I think that dancing with beginners , then trying to impress the pants off them ( both literally and metaphorically:what: )by doing moves, inclding dips and drops, when they are not experienced enough, is both reckless and stupid. I've seen this guy drop his partner on more than one osccasion. Fortunately as TT says he is now an ex Taxi dancer:wink:

Wendy
10th-April-2003, 09:43 PM

No.....

Wxxx

TheTramp
11th-April-2003, 12:17 AM
Awww :(

Why not??

Steve

Twinkle Toes
11th-April-2003, 12:58 AM
Awww :(

Why not??

Steve

Aww come on now Steve, at least put up a little bit of a fight.
You don't want to make it too easy for us girlies .... spoils the chase!:devil: :wink:

TT

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE]
Aww come on now Steve, at least put up a little bit of a fight.
You don't want to make it too easy for us girlies .... spoils the chase!:devil: :wink:

TT

Steve, what is the secret, how do you get girls chasing after you - some guys have all the luck

And if I put on my nun's outfit can I then join the chase:)

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 08:58 AM

And if I put on my nun's outfit can I then join the chase:)

This place gets more like a very long sketch on the Benny Hill show every day !!! (Dave that was a comedy show on TV before you were born - very sexist and almost like a silent movie - oh they existed in prehistoric times ....)

Wxxx

Chicklet
11th-April-2003, 09:21 AM
And for my 200th post !!!!!!!!!!!

In the Benny Hill vein (he was still on the telly in the part of the world where I grew up at much the same time as Dave).......what about asking Franck for a school disco party night??????????????

I still have ALL the required "accoutrements" and just love the feel of long white socks on bare brown legs.................

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :D

TheTramp
11th-April-2003, 09:35 AM
Dave Hancock:
Steve, what is the secret, how do you get girls chasing after you - some guys have all the luckI wish!!! I think that you have the wrong Steve here.....

Chickie:
In the Benny Hill vein (he was still on the telly in the part of the world where I grew up at much the same time as Dave).......what about asking Franck for a school disco party night??????????????

I still have ALL the required "accoutrements" and just love the feel of long white socks on bare brown legs.................
Yessssssssssssss!! :D

Steve

Chicklet
11th-April-2003, 09:37 AM
I wish!!! I think that you have the wrong Steve here.....
Yessssssssssssss!! :D

Steve

well at least now I know what to wear on our honeymoon loverboy!!!:devil:

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :D

Agree with Tramp - yeeeesssss - and it is about 2 years since the last one and I couldn't make it then - what about another one although obviously we'd want it pre-July:na: :na:

And Chicklet if you want you could always dust down your outfit and give it an airing this weekend:devil:

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 10:35 AM
Agree with Tramp - yeeeesssss - and it is about 2 years since the last one and I couldn't make it then - what about another one although obviously we'd want it pre-July:na: :na:

And Chicklet if you want you could always dust down your outfit and give it an airing this weekend:devil:

I'll get CJ to play that Good Morning Little Schoolgirl track !! But I'll not be able to watch you Chicklet cos I've got my eye on someone for that and I'm gonna get him !!!...

Wx

Chicklet
11th-April-2003, 10:46 AM

My blazer isn't choc coloured so I'd be in one door and marched straight back out the next!!

So boys, summer uniform of gingham dress or winter uniform a la Brittany?

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 10:50 AM
My blazer isn't choc coloured so I'd be in one door and marched straight back out the next!!

So boys, summer uniform of gingham dress or winter uniform a la Brittany?

But if you put chocolate bars in your blazer then surely you'll be okay with the choccie theme?

As for uniform, have no idea what a gingham dress is, but it is coming into summer time so guess it wins - does it show off legs:devil:

Graham
11th-April-2003, 11:00 AM
As for uniform, have no idea what a gingham dress is, but it is coming into summer time so guess it wins - does it show off legs:devil:

I'm sure you'd recognize one if you saw it. They're more popular in sunnier climes, so perhaps not seen too often in Aberdeen. The material looks like this:

TheTramp
11th-April-2003, 11:03 AM
Pre-July?!?!?!?!

Dave. Has anyone ever told you that you're very mean? :tears:

Steve

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 11:05 AM
Pre-July?!?!?!?!

Dave. Has anyone ever told you that you're very mean? :tears:

Steve

He's an ACCOUNTANT !!!!!!!

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 11:07 AM
He's an ACCOUNTANT !!!!!!!

You are soooo observant, though thought you'd have gone for a cheap Aberdonian gag - unpredictability - you got to love it:D

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 11:09 AM
You are soooo observant, though thought you'd have gone for a cheap Aberdonian gag - unpredictability - you got to love it:D

So the gags are cheap in Aberdeen are they Dave HA hAAAA fall off chair ouch !!!

Wxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 11:23 AM
So the gags are cheap in Aberdeen are they Dave HA hAAAA fall off chair ouch !!!

Wxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Really hope you didn't hurt yourself, am looking forward to many great dances tomorrow:D :D

Chicklet
11th-April-2003, 11:26 AM
[

Graham I do love it when you insert things unexpectedly like that.

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 11:43 AM
Really hope you didn't hurt yourself, am looking forward to many great dances tomorrow:D :D

But we won't get the chance !!! You'll be too busy fighting off all these great dancers for you ..... and you'll know Chicklet by then... end of quarter bla bla bla.. I'll be lucky if I get a dance with you at all !!! There's the cabaret practice I suppose....

Wxxx

Chicklet
11th-April-2003, 11:45 AM
But we won't get the chance !!! You'll be too busy fighting off all these great dancers for you ..... and you'll know Chicklet by then... end of quarter bla bla bla.. I'll be lucky if I get a dance with you at all !!! There's the cabaret practice I suppose....

Wxxx

end of my quarter's not till 30 May - but love the effort you're putting in to get down with the accountant kids W!!!!!!!!:kiss:

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 11:45 AM
..... and you'll know Chicklet by then... end of quarter bla bla bla..

You've really got to point her out if we can discuss comparative Q1 results - think dancing shall have to take a backseat:nice:

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 11:48 AM
But we won't get the chance !!! You'll be too busy fighting off all these great dancers for you ..... .. I'll be lucky if I get a dance with you at all !!!

Chance of fighting of any sort of dancers would be a fine thing indeed and I actually think you'll find that it's me whose the lucky one if I get a dance with you:D

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 11:50 AM
end of my quarter's not till 30 May - but love the effort you're putting in to get down with the accountant kids W!!!!!!!!:kiss:

And that's as far as it goes ... oh butter and guns... credit debit.... that thing when you take years to pay it off.... starts with a d... can't remember..... oh and must just spend another minute on the forum before my big meeting !!! That's really it now !!!

Wxxxx

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 11:51 AM
You've really got to point her out if we can discuss comparative Q1 results - think dancing shall have to take a backseat:nice:

Up to her !!!! My lips are sealed - as always...

Wxxxxx

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 11:52 AM
Chance of fighting of any sort of dancers would be a fine thing indeed and I actually think you'll find that it's me whose the lucky one if I get a dance with you:D

:kiss: :waycool: :innocent: :yum:

Wxxxx

Chicklet
11th-April-2003, 12:01 PM

My Q1 results are highly sensitive so you'd have to be gentle.:innocent:

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 12:24 PM
My Q1 results are highly sensitive so you'd have to be gentle.:innocent:
Not a problem, always gentle - used to be called Gentle Dave

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 12:43 PM
used to be ...

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 12:46 PM
More of a tiger now, you mean you hadn't noticed Wendy:( :(

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 12:48 PM
More of a tiger now, you mean you hadn't noticed Wendy:( :(

You said used to be I never said that....

WX

PS Talking of monkeys B34 has just logged on !!!

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 12:58 PM
You said used to be I never said that....

WX

PS Talking of monkeys B34 has just logged on !!!

I really hope he shares some of his wisdom with us or he can alternatively shoot of about Celtic's lack of luck last night

Wendy
11th-April-2003, 01:01 PM
I really hope he shares some of his wisdom with us or he can alternatively shoot of about Celtic's lack of luck last night

I'll leave you to it boys...

Bye...

Wxxx

Dance Demon
11th-April-2003, 07:20 PM
:reallymad :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad

is it possible to find a thread that has not been railroaded by the triumverate?

TheTramp
11th-April-2003, 07:22 PM
Ummm.

Nope.

They're even worse than me!!! :rolleyes:

Steve

Dance Demon
11th-April-2003, 07:28 PM
Ummm.

Nope.

They're even worse than me!!! :rolleyes:

Steve

Well Steve old mate.....I think you could be right :wink:
It's just i feel like when I browse the forum these days, I'm eavesdropping on a private conversation..:rolleyes: ........or is it just me ?

Twinkle Toes
12th-April-2003, 01:50 AM
Well Steve old mate.....I think you could be right :wink:
It's just i feel like when I browse the forum these days, I'm eavesdropping on a private conversation..:rolleyes: ........or is it just me ?

Funny you should say that DD, but I was just thinking the same thing myself this avo
:sad: :sad: :sad:

..... maybe we are just the quiet ones !!!
:D :D :D

Wendy
12th-April-2003, 08:45 AM
As one of the guilty ones I can only apologise ... some of us got a bit carried away this week ...and it just happened that we were on-line at the same time ..... hope we managed to be entertaining at least some of the time ....

The great thing about the forum is you can quote people at any time - pick up posts from ages ago or start a new conversation altogether if you feel you can't join in........

(I wasn't going to reply to this cos you might be thinking - oh no ... here she is again... but felt I had to :kiss: )

Wxxxx

TheTramp
12th-April-2003, 09:05 AM
Please don't feel the need to apologise Wendy.

It's been most entertaining - although, you picked the week when I was actually busy at work, so couldn't keep up with it as much as I'd have liked!!

Now that I'm officially unemployed (but still getting paid!! :D), and sitting at home, I'll be able to follow it much better hopefully! Unless I go and do something less boring instead! Lets hope for some nice sunny days now!!

Steve

Wendy
12th-April-2003, 09:54 AM
Please don't feel the need to apologise Wendy.

:D :kiss: :D

Thanks Mr Tramp !!

Go on - start a new thread so all the boys and girls can join in !!! :wink:

Wxxx

Twinkle Toes
13th-April-2003, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wendy
As one of the guilty ones I can only apologise ... some of us got a bit carried away this week ...and it just happened that we were on-line at the same time ..... hope we managed to be entertaining at least some of the time ....

No need to apologise Wendy. You have brought a :D to my face on many occasions. (Frank we need a "wee hug" smilie)

:cheers: TT

TheTramp
13th-April-2003, 11:17 PM
Will this do then TT??

Steve

Twinkle Toes
13th-April-2003, 11:30 PM
Will this do then TT??

Steve

Awww you big softie, it's just right ..... and here's one for you too.

TT

TheTramp
13th-April-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks TT.

Now you just need to get Franck to add it into the list on the left... ;)

Steve

Twinkle Toes
14th-April-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks TT.

Now you just need to get Franck to add it into the list on the left... ;)

Steve

Hey FRANK ..... wakey, wakey :D :D

ok ..... pretty pleeease :innocent:

TT

Twinkle Toes
14th-April-2003, 12:27 AM
:sorry Most humble apologies Frank, you must have been doing it as I was typing.

.... I see you got the smiley done as well.

Ta very much.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

TT

ps. Eat your heart out Heather :D

Franck
14th-April-2003, 12:36 AM
:sorry Most humble apologies Frank, you must have been doing it as I was typing.

.... I see you got the smiley done as well.

Ta very much.

:hug: :hug: :hug: You're welcome TT... I agree that this smiley was long overdue... (Thanks Tramp)...

surely that deserves a :kiss: too though? :wink:

Franck. :hug:

Twinkle Toes
14th-April-2003, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Franck
You're welcome TT... I agree that this smiley was long overdue... (Thanks Tramp)...

surely that deserves a :kiss: too though? :wink:

Franck. :hug:

Ehh ...... did you mean me, or Steve ?:innocent:

Ok, I give in, here's my first :kiss: on the forum.

:hug: ( I like this smiley - thanks from me too Steve)

Franck
14th-April-2003, 12:50 AM
Ok, I give in, here's my first :kiss: on the forum. I am truly honored... :nice:

and it's ok, as this ( :kiss: ) looks like a fairly innocent kiss anyway :wink: The French do it all the time (married or not :yum: )

Franck.

Chicklet
14th-April-2003, 08:38 AM
sheepishly peeking in here just to add a wee sorry for being OTT. full explanation in the CDW Free thread!!!!(you never really thought that would work did ya???)

:hug:

Sandy
14th-April-2003, 09:37 AM
Will this do then TT??

Steve

Another brilliant smilie Steve, just love it

Tiggerbabe
14th-April-2003, 09:11 PM
I totally agree - so

:hug: to Steve for finding it - and

:hug: to Franck for adding it to the list

Well done guys..................:D

Boomer
13th-September-2003, 02:28 AM
Ok, here goes ‘Steve the necromancer’ raising the dead again, but had SUCH a good night a the church tonight that I’m still buzzing and can’t sleep:waycool: . I’m resurrecting this one because I’ve just learnt something (not the moves, they’re simple enough to learn:sorry ) but something completely different. The hardest thing was quite simply in learning that I can string a series of moves together, not necessarily in ‘lesson-order’, and in time to the music!!!!! As a self-confessed ‘bugger this malarky, I cant dance’ kind of chap, the fact that I can was undoubtedly the hardest thing for me to learn. I’ll never win any comps, but that was never the point for me, to learn and have fun was. I’m off now, want to practice my lady-spin into catapult move...a bloody catapult! Damn fancy that move...for a beginner:D .

Hope this makes some sense.:cheers:

POPPET
5th-June-2004, 05:45 PM
awwwwwwwww .....I can feel the love on this page ...its a kodak moment :)
The hardest thing I found when I started dancing was getting bold enough to ask a bloke to dance....I still struggle now if ive ran out of friends to grab..in the end I get so desperate to dance I take a deep breath and go for it lol....maybe you girls can give me some tips on how to get your man!...giggle

SayAgain
5th-June-2004, 06:01 PM
When you get your first dance persuade your guy to take you towards the middle of the floor and then as soon as the dance is over , turn and ask the nearest dancer.

This tends to work well because:-
*Someone has already got you on the floor so you CAN dance as far as the next guy knows.
*Your confidence/adrenalin/dancing is up and flowing.
*You have proved that you are a "doer" and not just a "watcher".
*Success breeds success.

Please remember to dance with your guy as if he is the only guy in the room and he will feel that enthusiasm but remember, this is "only a game" so go ahead and make mistakes.

Emma
5th-June-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes, that's what I (still) do, and to this end will go on the floor with another girl and dancer with her just to get us both on the dancefloor :). The getting of another dance is always easier for some reason when walking off the floor rather than on.

lainey
5th-June-2004, 11:57 PM
when I first started learning Ceroc I was told by my partner to relax and if anything went wrong then it was the man's fault. I can live with that :clap: Though seriously we women can just follow the man's lead and we do alright so I think it's harder for the man to remember all the moves etc which is probably why more men are posting on this thread

Lory
6th-June-2004, 09:55 AM
and to this end will go on the floor with another girl and dancer with her just to get us both on the dancefloor :).

Emma, feel free to ask me anytime :flower: just don't ask me to lead! :D

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 08:12 PM
Ok i'm only a newbie, but the hardest things i find are:-
1) keeping my balance after spin
2) letting the man lead
3) I used to also find the yo yo dead hard but after two weeks and two really good taxi's :worthy: (last week and this week at jumpin jax) i got used to it . i wouldn't say i was confident with it but i understand it alot better

Just as i said in that last point i think its just a case of getting used too it. hopefully i will get used to spining and things!!

drathzel
28th-August-2004, 04:56 PM
....spins in practice...falls over and bumps her head

mmm i think i'll stick to my spinning practice when theres not so much furniture around!! :whistle:

Unregistered
2nd-September-2004, 06:30 PM
OK so it sometimes takes two or three surprises.

Like being spun into other dancers?

Gadget
3rd-September-2004, 08:49 AM
Like being spun into other dancers?
:confused: I went back through all the posts in this thread to see where I said that... of course it was on page 1 :rolleyes: and just after a post saying that I found it hard stopping my partners spinning into other people.

Have I danced with you recently? Please register so I know who to go :na: at. :wink:

naughty_scotty84
16th-September-2004, 02:45 PM
I find that my main problem is, well now what I call my signature move and it's the one called the Yo-yo or atleast I think it is. Everytime I get a lady on her right hand I just seem to automatically go straight into it, then because I'm so stuck for moves I'll probably do it again, then again all in a row until my brian conjoures up something else. Then I kinda get worried that things are getting boring for the lady. So yeah I would say the hardest thing is trying to keep the lady interested and not bored when your a male beginner. I've only been going for 6 weeks though so hopefully it's just because of the small amount of moves i actually now and things will get easier once I learn some more. Does anybody else kinda feel intimidated as well when you dance with an intemediate, sometimes I feel sorry for them because I'm not capable of the moves they are and it means they don't get as good a dance as they would from someone else. Also I find that I'm a bit shy to ask intemediates or advanced dancers for a dance. Dam I gotta stop looking at this forum I gotta get back to my college class or dancing won't be the only thing I'm having problems with :grin:
Ciao Amigo's

PretzelMeister
1st-October-2004, 08:33 PM
Also, the other hard part was actually asking people to dance with me. It took me about 2.5 years before I'd managed to ask everyone on my list. I'd always watch the women who were really good, and never feel confident enough to actually go ask them to dance with me. I was sure that they'd hate the experience....

Steve

And did they?

I'm very much in that boat now too. Apart from The Tigger Babe, Wendy & Glasgow Jane who are all too friendly & lovely to NOT be approachable, I steer well clear of asking many of the more experienced ladies to dance for the same reasons as you cite above. As well as being genrally a bit on the shy side anyways :blush: .......

Actually, just thinking about it a wee bit, the above para probably does a horrendous injustice to many of the ladies at the Glasgow Tuesday night class - sorry! I think many of them are really very good - just I don't get a chance to see it cos I'm such a poor lead.

Maybe in time?...........

PM

whistler
2nd-October-2004, 12:10 AM
I know exactly how you feel.....Its hard getting over the feeling that the more experienced dancers are not going to want to dance with the beginner.....but the BFG sort of help in that area......spending the whole weekend dancing I got to dance with some really good guys who made me feel really at ease....I found them to be such nice folk as well as great dancers and I wonder why I didnt have the courage to ask them before....

I love dancing with so many different dancers for different reasons and I definately dont mind dancing with folk who are beginners as I have only been dancing for 7 months myself and I remember how hard it was to ask that first person......and I still know what its like to ask that new person you think is just too good.....

drathzel
2nd-October-2004, 11:08 AM
And did they?

I'm very much in that boat now too. Apart from The Tigger Babe, Wendy & Glasgow Jane who are all too friendly & lovely to NOT be approachable, I steer well clear of asking many of the more experienced ladies to dance for the same reasons as you cite above. As well as being genrally a bit on the shy side anyways :blush: .......

Actually, just thinking about it a wee bit, the above para probably does a horrendous injustice to many of the ladies at the Glasgow Tuesday night class - sorry! I think many of them are really very good - just I don't get a chance to see it cos I'm such a poor lead.

Maybe in time?...........

PM

Speaking as a tuesday night lady (?) I have to say that you are a very good lead and fun to dance with! You should ask more people, actually no dont, cuz then i wont get a dance :tears: ! But if i am being honest with you.... whe i fisrt joined i thought you were a great dancer and wanted to ask you but didn't because you seemed to good!!!

:hug:

PretzelMeister
2nd-October-2004, 06:20 PM
Speaking as a tuesday night lady (?) I have to say that you are a very good lead and fun to dance with!
Awwww.... shucks! :blush: Glad you reckon I'm fun to dance with - you're fun to dance with too! :grin:

~SNIP~ But if i am being honest with you.... whe i fisrt joined i thought you were a great dancer and wanted to ask you but didn't because you seemed to good!!!
- But after only a couple of weeks you quickly sussed that wasn't the case! And I'm glad you did. :cheers:

drathzel
3rd-October-2004, 12:56 PM
Awwww.... shucks! :blush: Glad you reckon I'm fun to dance with - you're fun to dance with too! :grin:

- But after only a couple of weeks you quickly sussed that wasn't the case! And I'm glad you did. :cheers:

No its was because we danced in a class and realised you weren't as scary as first thought! :grin:

TheTramp
3rd-October-2004, 01:04 PM
There aren't any scary dancers. Are there???

Trampy

drathzel
3rd-October-2004, 01:08 PM
There aren't any scary dancers. Are there???

Trampy

Of course there are, especially when you are only a beginner and people are being all good and stuff! :eek:

TheTramp
3rd-October-2004, 01:09 PM
Of course there are, especially when you are only a beginner and people are being all good and stuff! :eek:
Ah. Yes. A beginner!! :innocent: :flower:

Trampy

drathzel
3rd-October-2004, 01:14 PM
Ah. Yes. A beginner!! :innocent: :flower:

Trampy
i wasn't talking about you, you, just you as in the general all people term!

Cornish Pixie
22nd-November-2004, 10:29 AM
A second thing I struggled with when starting Ceroc was learning to relax after doing a couple of years of Jive, the very strict footwork was deeply set within me and I literally spent hours trying to get rid of it. :sad:
Franck.

Can i ask how you did this?

Although i did not do jive i have from the start of me dancing learnt to move my feet to the half beat. While this is not necessarily a bad thing even the slowest of songs knacker me out!

Franck
22nd-November-2004, 12:31 PM
Can i ask how you did this?

Although i did not do jive i have from the start of me dancing learnt to move my feet to the half beat. While this is not necessarily a bad thing even the slowest of songs knacker me out!No specific trick there, I just had it drummed into me to simplify my footwork whilst teaching. It just took some time.
Of course the irony is that I now spend a lot of time teaching workshops where I try to add footwork to dancers.
A good example was this week-end at the Beach Ballroom where I was teaching a workshop on 'How to dance to unusual speeds'. We danced to music around 80/90bpm and also in the faster range (180/200bpm). Most of the technique consisted in adding footwork and adapting the speed of the footwork to fit the challenges of more extreme BPMs.

When I started, the problem I had, was not the footwork, I still use that footwork and variations of it, but breaking down the limitations the footwork imposed on me. Having unlearnt the strict pattern, I was able to start with new patterns and dance to more varied music, thus becoming a 'true' Ceroc dancer! :wink:

As an aside, during the above workshop, it was amazing to see people's reaction after dancing to a 84bpm track, when I played a more 'normal' bpm (110) the song felt really too fast! :eek:

skippy
23rd-November-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi there
As a taxi dancer I always say and truely believe most women would prefer to have five or six moves executed well :clap: than be thrown into a move which hurts or feel not good. :sad:
As a beginner it is always hard to not feel you are not good enough but it takes time and the more you practise the easier it will become. :hug: It may take 10 weeks or more to feel confident to move up to the next level but don't feel you have to too soon. If you are still finding the beginners moves hard or can't find your feet it maybe something simple. Have you tried a workshop this is a very good way to work on anything that may not be able to do.
I've helped out at several now and I still learn new things everytime I go. It is also fun and you will definately gain more confidence.
Hope we have a dance soon.
Gail :cheers:

I find that my main problem is, well now what I call my signature move and it's the one called the Yo-yo or atleast I think it is. Everytime I get a lady on her right hand I just seem to automatically go straight into it, then because I'm so stuck for moves I'll probably do it again, then again all in a row until my brian conjoures up something else. Then I kinda get worried that things are getting boring for the lady. So yeah I would say the hardest thing is trying to keep the lady interested and not bored when your a male beginner. I've only been going for 6 weeks though so hopefully it's just because of the small amount of moves i actually now and things will get easier once I learn some more. Does anybody else kinda feel intimidated as well when you dance with an intemediate, sometimes I feel sorry for them because I'm not capable of the moves they are and it means they don't get as good a dance as they would from someone else. Also I find that I'm a bit shy to ask intemediates or advanced dancers for a dance. Dam I gotta stop looking at this forum I gotta get back to my college class or dancing won't be the only thing I'm having problems with :grin:
Ciao Amigo's

MartinHarper
24th-November-2004, 12:21 AM
I always say and truely believe most women would prefer to have five or six moves executed well :clap: than be thrown into a move which hurts or feel not good.

When I started to learn, I had to figure out what women would prefer:
* Five or six moves executed badly?
* One move executed badly?

Whitebeard
24th-November-2004, 01:48 AM
When I started to learn, I had to figure out what women would prefer:
* Five or six moves executed badly?
* One move executed badly?
Shouldn't that be:

*One move executed badly?

*Five or six moves executed even more badly?

I know, I've been there, and for all I know I'm still there!!!