PDA

View Full Version : New Harry Potter!

Divissima
16th-June-2005, 12:37 PM
The 16th July has been in my diary for ages now as the date the new Harry Potter book goes on sale. I've been resisting pre-ordering it on Amazon because (sad, I know) I love the act of walking into a bookshop and picking up a copy. Somehow having it land on my doormat doesn't have quite the same frisson, not to mention the risk that it won't arrive on the Saturday morning and I'll lose two days of valuable reading time :really: and in the meantime I might inadvertently come across a spoiler of the plot :eek: :eek:

Seeing KGD re-reading The Order of the Phoenix before the last Twyford freestyle night reminded me that it was time to prepare myself for the new one. In the past I have re-read all of the previous books, but this time (tactical error :tears: ) only re-read The Order of the Phoenix (d'oh!) and now I still have four weeks to wait :sad:

Am I the only one (well, apart from KGD)? Does anyone else fancy queuing up to buy the book at midnight? (I could do with some company :blush: )

Purple Sparkler
16th-June-2005, 12:46 PM
The 16th July has been in my diary for ages now as the date the new Harry Potter book goes on sale. I've been resisting pre-ordering it on Amazon because (sad, I know) I love the act of walking into a bookshop and picking up a copy. Somehow having it land on my doormat doesn't have quite the same frisson, not to mention the risk that it won't arrive on the Saturday morning and I'll lose two days of valuable reading time :really: and in the meantime I might inadvertently come across a spoiler of the plot :eek: :eek:

Seeing KGD re-reading The Order of the Phoenix before the last Twyford freestyle night reminded me that it was time to prepare myself for the new one. In the past I have re-read all of the previous books, but this time (tactical error :tears: ) only re-read The Order of the Phoenix (d'oh!) and now I still have four weeks to wait :sad:

Am I the only one (well, apart from KGD)? Does anyone else fancy queuing up to buy the book at midnight? (I could do with some company :blush: )

I AM SO IN!
Foyles on Totty Court Road is doing a midnight opening, unless you know another that's as easy to get to. Will have to check train times though (or persuade Dizzy that she really really wants to drive to get Harry Potter- shouldn't be too hard...)

Groovy Dancer
16th-June-2005, 12:52 PM

Actually was reading the Goblet of Fire :flower: But I am actually now reading the Order of the Phoenix :clap:
Can't wait!!! :clap: :whistle:

Divissima
16th-June-2005, 12:58 PM
Actually was reading the Goblet of Fire :flower: But I am actually now reading the Order of the Phoenix :clap:
Can't wait!!! :clap: :whistle:
Arg! I knew I should have re-read them all :tears: :tears:

Purple Sparkler, you're on! I think the big Waterstones on Piccadilly will also open at midnight (I know they did for the last one). I'll check it out. Not sure which is easier for you for transport (or which is the more pleasant location in which to queue!).

Lounge Lizard
16th-June-2005, 01:03 PM
sorry Amazon for me - but cant wait
p

cerocmetro
16th-June-2005, 01:28 PM
I AM SO IN!
Foyles on Totty Court Road is doing a midnight opening, unless you know another that's as easy to get to. Will have to check train times though (or persuade Dizzy that she really really wants to drive to get Harry Potter- shouldn't be too hard...)

Can't believe it just checked and yes it comes out on the 16th here in NZ but it does not go on sale until 11.01am ie 1 minute past midnight your time :sad:

Wonder if that is because we won the rugby last night :whistle:

Purple Sparkler
16th-June-2005, 04:28 PM
Arg! I knew I should have re-read them all :tears: :tears:

Purple Sparkler, you're on! I think the big Waterstones on Piccadilly will also open at midnight (I know they did for the last one). I'll check it out. Not sure which is easier for you for transport (or which is the more pleasant location in which to queue!).

Yay! Will nag and cajole Dizzy into coming with when I see her tonight at Fulham.

Either is as easy regarding transport, but I'll have to check how late trains/buses run if Dizzy is car-less. I guess we'll just have to make sure we're there early to queue (with perhaps a cunningly concealed bottle of wine...) so we can get away early.

Piccadilly is more pleasant, I reckon, being as the big Waterstones is right by the church I used to work at, and is a vaguely posher bit of town.

So... who do you think is going to kick the bucket in the new one?

Divissima
16th-June-2005, 04:30 PM
So... who do you think is going to kick the bucket in the new one?My money's on Dumbledore - at some point, Harry has to come out from behind his shadow.

Lounge Lizard
16th-June-2005, 04:49 PM
My money's on Dumbledore - at some point, Harry has to come out from behind his shadow.no
surley that would be in the last book - but will H & R get all UCP :blush:

Groovy Dancer
16th-June-2005, 04:57 PM
Harry has to come out from behind his shadow.

What do you mean by :yeah: ? :confused:

I think it could be Dobby or Winky :rofl:
Seriously though, it could be one of the Weasleys..Percy I think :rolleyes:

Purple Sparkler
16th-June-2005, 05:28 PM
What do you mean by :yeah: ? :confused:

I think it could be Dobby or Winky :rofl:
Seriously though, it could be one of the Weasleys..Percy I think :rolleyes:

I think it's going to be someone even more upsetting than the last one, so Dumbledore might be a good bet, though I think he might not die until the final book- the Order relies on him too much. I really hope it isn't Hagrid or Mr Weasley.

But I also think that (and I know this is cynical) maybe JK Rowling tells her fans someone is going to die to make the book more tense- admit it, when you read the last one, in the scene in the Ministry of Magic with the fight with the Death Eaters, weren't you thinking "It's going to be him! No her! No someone else entirely!" until the point at which someone actually WAS killed? (See I'm being careful- after I let slip the key plot point of Chamber of Secrets to my brother before he'd got to it, I've tried really hard not to give the game away).

EDIT: Also had to add that Kingsley Shacklebolt is too cool for words.

Tessalicious
16th-June-2005, 06:58 PM
I AM SO IN!

:yeah:
(but since I've already put my deposit on a copy from Waterstones my request is on the Piccadilly, or actually I think the UCL Waterstones on Gower Street might be doing it too...)
As for dying characters, my money's on Dumbledore too - right at the end, so Harry's final year in the next book is with Snape as the Headmaster (ok maybe I'm going out on a limb with this one but it would make sense).

Divissima
16th-June-2005, 10:01 PM
As for dying characters, my money's on Dumbledore too - right at the end, so Harry's final year in the next book is with Snape as the Headmaster (ok maybe I'm going out on a limb with this one but it would make sense).If I was JK Rowling, I'd kill off Dumbledore as the climax to the penultimate book - imagine the impact! In the last one the character who died was very important to Harry, but had done less to earn the affection of the reader than many of the other characters. This time, I think the stakes are higher and the reader has to feel the loss not just from Harry's point of view. It would be such a cop out if (like in LOTR) only one of the less well liked characters dies (I mean, of the fellowship only Boromir dies - and he is compromised in the eyes of the reader by his coveting the One Ring). Also, in order for Harry to mature as a hero, he has to stand alone - so one way or another, sooner or later, Dumbledore has to go, I reckon :tears:

The finale of the last book has to be Harry and Voldemort in a duel to the death.

Groovy Dancer
17th-June-2005, 09:50 AM
The finale of the last book has to be Harry and Voldemort in a duel to the death.

Harry and Cho Chang dueling with Lord Voldemort?
:yeah:

Dizzy
17th-June-2005, 09:55 AM
I AM SO IN!

:yeah: :yeah:

No persuasion needed, It's Harry Potter!!!! :worthy:

Not too sure about car though, as it is not feeling well at the moment but will discuss nearer the time.

As regards the characters dying, I feel it will probably be someone like Dumbledore or Mr Weasley or maybe Hagrid or Neville..................oh, I don't know........... :confused: but I can't wait to find out!! :D

David Franklin
17th-June-2005, 10:07 AM
If I was JK Rowling, I'd kill off Dumbledore as the climax to the penultimate book - imagine the impact! In the last one the character who died was very important to Harry, but had done less to earn the affection of the reader than many of the other characters.Yeah - I certainly wouldn't be selling Dumbledore any life insurance! I only wonder if that would all be a bit too predictable. As far as the OoTP death, I don't know if it was subconscious or intentional, but I felt JKR made the character far less likeable and important in OoTP than previous books.

Harry and Cho Chang dueling with Lord Voldemort?
:yeah:I really don't see a Harry/Cho pairing after the events in OoTP. Smart money is on Ron/Hermione pairing up, which makes the main candidates for Harry either Luna or Ginny. For what it's worth, I'm guessing Harry and Ginny get together, with Harry confiding stuff to Luna to leave scope for interesting misinterpretations...

Groovy Dancer
17th-June-2005, 10:48 AM
Smart money is on Ron/Hermione pairing up,..

:yeah: I agree

which makes the main candidates for Harry either Luna or Ginny. For what it's worth, I'm guessing Harry and Ginny get together, with Harry confiding stuff to Luna to leave scope for interesting misinterpretations.[QUOTE=David Franklin

Don't agree, doesn't seem possible.

However, as some of you may have forgotten Winky and Dobby may be vital characters as well :rolleyes: . So they may be kicking some Voledemort butt :clap: in this offering from JK Rowling.

Gadget
17th-June-2005, 11:22 AM
You know, I can see Hermiony (?) or Ron being killed off: what better motivation for Harry to actually kill a "live" person? Could push him over the edge into some dark stuff and cause lots of damage.
I can also imagine a lot more dueling and wand work in this one. And I think that Harry will be walking about the muggle world, rubbing shoulders with them and either being hunted or hunting something. And I think that Dumbledore will show a nasty/ruthless streak and perhaps explain what he's done to Harry's blood to track him.

It's almost as much fun speculating as reading :D

Lounge Lizard
17th-June-2005, 11:28 AM
have not re-read the books (the memory does get mixed up) , but was there not a mention that the 'chosen one' was born on a certain day etc. with Hary & Neville being the only wizards born on that day - plus mention that Neville has been using his dad's wand up till the last book
Is it time for Neville to step out of the shadows?
Reckon Harry should wipe out Draco - that would cause an upset in the final book
Mcgonagil (spelling :blush: ) is the closest teacher to Dumbledore and Likes Harry so could be destined to die
peter

Purple Sparkler
17th-June-2005, 11:46 AM
It would be such a cop out if (like in LOTR) only one of the less well liked characters dies (I mean, of the fellowship only Boromir dies - and he is compromised in the eyes of the reader by his coveting the One Ring).

Um- if we're going on the way it was done, then in the first LOTR book, hello? GANDALF? You see him plummet off into a chasm! OK, so he's not REALLY dead, but you don't find that out until WAAAAAY into the second book.

Back to Harry: Ron and Hermione- entirely possible. I actually don't think Harry's going to survive to the end of the final book, because of the way the prophecy about him and Voldemort is worded, so pairing up possibilities are moot. And there might be a character we haven't met yet.

I like the idea of Dumbledore kicking the bucket and being replaced with Snape (purely from the reader POV), but it's unlikely to happen- Fudge has realised his mistake about Voldemort, so would be more likely to choose someone Dumbledore was closer to, like McGonagall. Remember it was HER who took charge of the school in Chamber of Secrets when Dumbledore was removed from office.

Also: I think Neville is going to die, but he's going to go down kicking some serious Death Eater ass, because as we've seen, once his confidence is up, nothing can stop him (except stopping him being able to pronounce the words of a spell).

David Franklin
17th-June-2005, 12:22 PM
You know, I can see Hermiony (?) or Ron being killed off: what better motivation for Harry to actually kill a "live" person? Could push him over the edge into some dark stuff and cause lots of damage. After the "otter" thing - (JKR's favourite animal and Hermione's patronus in OoTP) - my personal belief is Hermione is JKR's doppelganger (dare I say, MarySue?), so I think she's safe. I could see Ron dying, but I honestly think that would be a fairly minor event compared with Dumbledore dying. And let's face it, when Hagrid goes around saying "As long as we've got Dumbledore, we'll be OK", you might as well start searching the Yellow Pages for undertakers...

Groovy Dancer
17th-June-2005, 12:26 PM
Um- if we're going on the way it was done, then in the first LOTR book, hello? GANDALF? You see him plummet off into a chasm! OK, so he's not REALLY dead, but you don't find that out until WAAAAAY into the second book.

Back to Harry: Ron and Hermione- entirely possible. I actually don't think Harry's going to survive to the end of the final book, because of the way the prophecy about him and Voldemort is worded, so pairing up possibilities are moot. And there might be a character we haven't met yet.

I like the idea of Dumbledore kicking the bucket and being replaced with Snape (purely from the reader POV), but it's unlikely to happen- Fudge has realised his mistake about Voldemort, so would be more likely to choose someone Dumbledore was closer to, like McGonagall. Remember it was HER who took charge of the school in Chamber of Secrets when Dumbledore was removed from office.

Also: I think Neville is going to die, but he's going to go down kicking some serious Death Eater ass, because as we've seen, once his confidence is up, nothing can stop him (except stopping him being able to pronounce the words of a spell).

I still think and agree with Smooth that Winky and Dobby will kick major Death Eaters ASS!! :whistle: :clap:

Purple Sparkler
17th-June-2005, 02:04 PM
After the "otter" thing - (JKR's favourite animal and Hermione's patronus in OoTP) - my personal belief is Hermione is JKR's doppelganger (dare I say, MarySue?), so I think she's safe. I could see Ron dying, but I honestly think that would be a fairly minor event compared with Dumbledore dying. And let's face it, when Hagrid goes around saying "As long as we've got Dumbledore, we'll be OK", you might as well start searching the Yellow Pages for undertakers...

It'll be exactly like Patches O'Houlihan getting killed in 'Dodgeball'! (OK, maybe not EXACTLY like it...)

I'm not going to complain about JKR having a MarySue- we've ALL done it (and David, if you've never taken part in National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org) then you should check it out).

I think Dobby and Winky are going to do for the Malfoys.

Barry Shnikov
24th-June-2005, 02:12 PM
Personally, I'm holding out for the new Winnie the pooh adventure. I'm pretty sure that Piglet is going to get it, as Christopher Robin discovers a penchant for bacon. And I reckon the final episode will see a fight to the death between Eeyore and Kanga.
:innocent:

Divissima
24th-June-2005, 02:30 PM
Personally, I'm holding out for the new Winnie the pooh adventure. I'm pretty sure that Piglet is going to get it, as Christopher Robin discovers a penchant for bacon. And I reckon the final episode will see a fight to the death between Eeyore and Kanga.
:innocent: :rolleyes: There's always one (and it's usually Barry Shnikov)... :devil:

Barry Shnikov
28th-June-2005, 12:54 AM
:rolleyes: There's always one (and it's usually Barry Shnikov)... :devil:

Hmm. Winnie the Pooh books are not just for children, you know. They have 'adult editions' that don't have dayglo coloured cartoons on so you can read them in the tube without having to feel embarrassed.

The writing is tremendously inventive, and the discerning reader can see that the author wades in a dishes the dirt on some of the truly momentous issues of modern life - there's rite of passage when Pooh and Piglet go in search of the Woozle and Weezle; betrayal, when Eeyore finds his tail being used as a bell pull by Wol; identity crisis, when Tigger tries to see where he fits in the forest by trying everyone's lifestyle; existential angst when Pooh gets stuck in a honey pot and falls into the heffalump trap, and Piglet thinks Pooh is a heffalump. And of course, finally, loss, as Christopher Robin goes upstairs.

And of course who can forget the heartbreaking story of how AA Milne wrote the first stories in the tea rooms of the local hotel because he couldn't afford to heat the 12-bed family-pile in the home counties?

Divissima
28th-June-2005, 09:58 AM
Hmm. Winnie the Pooh books are not just for children, you know. They have 'adult editions' that don't have dayglo coloured cartoons on so you can read them in the tube without having to feel embarrassed.

The writing is tremendously inventive, and the discerning reader can see that the author wades in a dishes the dirt on some of the truly momentous issues of modern life - there's rite of passage when Pooh and Piglet go in search of the Woozle and Weezle; betrayal, when Eeyore finds his tail being used as a bell pull by Wol; identity crisis, when Tigger tries to see where he fits in the forest by trying everyone's lifestyle; existential angst when Pooh gets stuck in a honey pot and falls into the heffalump trap, and Piglet thinks Pooh is a heffalump. And of course, finally, loss, as Christopher Robin goes upstairs.

And of course who can forget the heartbreaking story of how AA Milne wrote the first stories in the tea rooms of the local hotel because he couldn't afford to heat the 12-bed family-pile in the home counties? :rofl: I think you'll be needing your own thread here, Baz :flower: :devil:

Tessalicious
14th-July-2005, 01:09 PM
Ok guys, here's a plan for you.
The Owl bookshop in Kentish Town is also having a midnight opening Friday night to sell the Harry Potter book (at £11.99), and Kentish Town is only two stops on Thameslink from Cricklewood, so I'm thinking that we could all go to Ashtons and dance till 11:30 then head off to Kentish Town in a Harry-Potter hungry pack. How does that sound?

Divissima
14th-July-2005, 01:14 PM
The Owl bookshop in Kentish Town is also having a midnight opening Friday night to sell the Harry Potter book (at £11.99), and Kentish Town is only two stops on Thameslink from Cricklewood, so I'm thinking that we could all go to Ashtons and dance till 11:30 then head off to Kentish Town in a Harry-Potter hungry pack. How does that sound?Sounds like an excellent plan - and probably handier than Piccadilly for those of us resident in North London. Not sure I can make Ashtons, but I can definitely see you in KT.

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 01:33 PM
The Owl bookshop in Kentish Town is also having a midnight opening Friday night to sell the Harry Potter book (at £11.99), and Kentish Town is only two stops on Thameslink from Cricklewood, so I'm thinking that we could all go to Ashtons and dance till 11:30 then head off to Kentish Town in a Harry-Potter hungry pack. How does that sound?

You forgot to mention that we'll all be extremely well dressed!

I dare someone to say (loudly as always) 'packed with Muggles, of course...' as we arrive. Especially if there are some small impressionable children around.

El Salsero Gringo
14th-July-2005, 06:12 PM
You forgot to mention that we'll all be extremely well dressed!

I dare someone to say (loudly as always) 'packed with Muggles, of course...' as we arrive. Especially if there are some small impressionable children around.Take a boogie-box with and do some busking. Bradders might even fork out some admit-ones if you take Ceroc t-shirts too. Best keep the noise down though - Kentish Town nick is just around the corner.

Little Monkey
14th-July-2005, 09:13 PM
I guess I shall just go down to WH Smith all by my lonely self to collect my pre-booked copy of Harry Potter (can you hear the very faint sound of violins playing in the background?)..... London is kinda a wee bit out of my way... But at least I'm getting mine for £9.99!

Not sure if I can be bothered to go down at midnight, though. Might be curled up in my bed, nursing my cold instead. :tears:

Monkey

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 10:17 AM
Take a boogie-box with and do some busking. Bradders might even fork out some admit-ones if you take Ceroc t-shirts too. Best keep the noise down though - Kentish Town nick is just around the corner.

I almost wish I'd seen this post last night. Almost. Something tells me most of the clientele at a midnight bookshop opening for Harry Potter would not be quite within the usual Ceroc demographic.

And a side note: There are very few people who could get away with calling a CD player a 'boogie-box'. Well done.

David Bailey
15th-July-2005, 11:52 AM
And a side note: There are very few people who could get away with calling a CD player a 'boogie-box'. Well done.
I've heard that term a few times - either it's coming back into style or that's actually a technical term. :confused:

Don't ask me, I can barely get my car radio to work. :blush:

Rhythm King
15th-July-2005, 12:42 PM

:confused: You do lead a sheltered life, don't you PS...

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 02:12 PM

Yeah, pretty much. I'm getting better but I still have moments where I don't understand some technical term (usually to do with going upstairs) and then when it's explained I get rather embarrassed because I was too naive to know what it meant.

KatieR
15th-July-2005, 02:30 PM

its alright R-K, I have taken Miss PS under my wing and am doing my best to corrupt her totally.! :devil:

LMC
15th-July-2005, 04:27 PM
Here's to annoy you all...

I couldn't be bothered to order or queue for HP5 - but 8.5 hours after it was on sale, I happened to be needing petrol and there was a pile of 'em by the checkout - discounted.

So I'm staying for the last dance at Ashtons and will pop round to my local baby Tesco tomorrow - because it's odds-on that it will be there.

KatieR
15th-July-2005, 04:39 PM
Here's to annoy you all...

I couldn't be bothered to order or queue for HP5 - but 8.5 hours after it was on sale, I happened to be needing petrol and there was a pile of 'em by the checkout - discounted.

So I'm staying for the last dance at Ashtons and will pop round to my local baby Tesco tomorrow - because it's odds-on that it will be there.

But its just the fun and silliness of it all that makes it appealing.

LMC
15th-July-2005, 04:54 PM
But its just the fun and silliness of it all that makes it appealing.

I'm now officially no longer in my early 30s let alone in my 20s, so I'll pass on standing around for two hours and take the extra half-hour dancing :wink: - NO posting any spoilers until at least Monday!!!

KatieR
15th-July-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm now officially no longer in my early 30s let alone in my 20s, so I'll pass on standing around for two hours and take the extra half-hour dancing :wink: - NO posting any spoilers until at least Monday!!!

will do my best :innocent:

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 05:12 PM
NO posting any spoilers until at least Monday!!!

:devil:

Groovy Dancer
15th-July-2005, 05:30 PM

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I think one week before posting anything thing about the plot is reasonable okay??
I ask very nicely :innocent:

Be nice okay? :flower: :flower:

Tessalicious
15th-July-2005, 05:42 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I think one week before posting anything thing about the plot is reasonable okay??
I ask very nicely :innocent:

Be nice okay? :flower: :flower:Seconded - seeing as even though I'm buying it tonight for the principle of the thing, I won't actually have time to start reading it until probably Wednesday (so by Wednesday night it should be finished...)

Tiggerbabe
15th-July-2005, 10:44 PM
Heading down to Waterstone's tonight at midnight with my ten year old - and then I can play the *age/advantage of being mum* card and send him to bed when we get home, so that I get to start the book first *hee hee*

Nessa
16th-July-2005, 12:21 PM
So I guess taking advantage of the extra 9 hours I've had as an Australian, and posting about the plot NOW, would be... um.... unkind??

No, breathe easy, I haven't had any time to even get out and buy the blinky book, too busy preparing for my Hobbit Party next weekend :blush: (pick the fantasy geek!)

I think, furthermore, that any spoilers should be in their own thread CLEARLY LABELLED "Harry Potter SPOILERS" :flower:

Tessalicious
16th-July-2005, 12:39 PM
So I guess taking advantage of the extra 9 hours I've had as an Australian, and posting about the plot NOW, would be... um.... unkind??

No, breathe easy, I haven't had any time to even get out and buy the blinky book, too busy preparing for my Hobbit Party next weekend :blush: (pick the fantasy geek!) Hobbit Party? Can I come? :blush:

I think, furthermore, that any spoilers should be in their own thread CLEARLY LABELLED "Harry Potter SPOILERS" :flower:Seconded - although I have bought it and might sneak a quick read in between decorating and meetings...

Little Monkey
16th-July-2005, 10:53 PM
All of a sudden I'm rather enjoying being ill and having to stay in bed..... Sent my step-dad in to town today to pick up my copy of Harry Potter, and am now enjoying myself immensely! :D

But will not be a spoilsport and tell anything....... :cool:

Monkey

latinlover
18th-July-2005, 12:34 PM
All of a sudden I'm rather enjoying being ill and having to stay in bed..... Sent my step-dad in to town today to pick up my copy of Harry Potter, and am now enjoying myself immensely! :D

But will not be a spoilsport and tell anything....... :cool:

Monkey

My ten year -old daughter has finished it!!!!! :eek: :worthy:
I didn't think it was healthy being buried in a book for all those hours of sunshine, but what can you do? you can hardly tell them NOT to READ!!
trying to prevent her telling all will be the hard part :rofl:

David Franklin
18th-July-2005, 12:38 PM
My ten year -old daughter has finished it!!!!! :eek: :worthy:
I didn't think it was healthy being buried in a book for all those hours of sunshine, but what can you do?I got it on Saturday, but didn't get to start it until about midnight. Finished it about 3 hours later {yawn!}. It's a fair bit shorter than book 5. Was a bit tired Sunday evening...

Piglet
6th-August-2005, 11:33 PM

Hey! As much as I love bacon - I take offence at this!!
Power to the Piglet!

Baruch
7th-August-2005, 12:40 AM

Too late. Violence has already erupted in the Hundred Acre Wood. You can read it for yourself here (http://www.geocities.com/sysyphusrock/pooh.html).

Piglet
7th-August-2005, 09:41 AM
Too late. Violence has already erupted in the Hundred Acre Wood. You can read it for yourself here (http://www.geocities.com/sysyphusrock/pooh.html).

I was really enjoying this story up until the Piglet bit!!!!!

Tiggerbabe don't read this!

I'm just thinking its a good job there are no Winnie the Poohs on here! Phew *wipes sweaty forehead with sleeve*

David Bailey
7th-August-2005, 07:31 PM
OK, I was so reading-matter-deprived on hols last week, I succumbed and nicked the Half-Blood Prince from an 8-year-old one night. Having read this, I've now seen a total of 1.5 Harry Potter films, and read 2 books (Azkaban and this), so I'm obviously an expert.

Actually, I have read a heck of a lot (way too much, probably) of fantasy fiction, for several decades, so I am familiar with the genre.

But.. I just don't get it.

There's some good writing, sure - but there's also a load of complete cobblers. I could have easily skipped the first 400 pages of that book, without IMO missing any significant plot action. And this is with a very limited exposure to the series - I can't imagine how bored I'd get if I actually had read all 6.

To me, the only relatively-well-dimensioned characters were Dumbledore and Snape. Everyone else was a 1-D caricature - I found myself praying for Hagrid to just die already, but he never did.

Seriously, I want to know, what's the big deal? What am I missing here? Or do I need to get in touch with my inner child to understand it? I can understand why kids like it, it's basically Enid Blyton with magic - but what's this craze for adults?

Torch, meet the blue touchpaper....

Piglet
7th-August-2005, 10:17 PM
I could have easily skipped the first 400 pages of that book, without IMO missing any significant plot action.

I kind of agree with you here, but wasn't the end good!?!
I want to read the next book NOW and I'll have forgotten what the heck has happened by the time its published - have trouble remembering what happened in the last book. But don't suppose most people have a memory like mine :sick:

Baruch
7th-August-2005, 11:32 PM
I want to read the next book NOW and I'll have forgotten what the heck has happened by the time its published - have trouble remembering what happened in the last book. But don't suppose most people have a memory like mine :sick:
That's just a good excuse to re-read all the other books again first. I see no down side to this :waycool:

Piglet
8th-August-2005, 12:15 AM
That's just a good excuse to re-read all the other books again first. I see no down side to this :waycool:

Except I'd rather be dancing and once the school term starts again - it's back to work and dancing and sleeping (not necessarily in that order) ;)

Baruch
8th-August-2005, 12:32 AM
Except I'd rather be dancing and once the school term starts again - it's back to work and dancing and sleeping (not necessarily in that order) ;)
There's a simple solution to that. Don't bother sleeping, just take Red Bull intravenously while reading Harry Potter books. Then there's time for dancing and work as well! Actually, as a teacher I know what you mean - but there's always time for Harry Potter :nice:

David Bailey
8th-August-2005, 08:34 AM
Mmm... it was OK, but without getting spoilerific, it was a bit too much "read the next book to find the thrilling conclusion" to me.

If I'd paid for the book, I'd have felt a little cheated by the lack of anything vaguely resembling a conclusion...

DianaS
12th-August-2005, 02:04 PM
OK, I was so reading-matter-deprived on hols last week, I succumbed and nicked the Half-Blood Prince from an 8-year-old one night. Having read this, I've now seen a total of 1.5 Harry Potter films, and read 2 books (Azkaban and this), so I'm obviously an expert.

Actually, I have read a heck of a lot (way too much, probably) of fantasy fiction, for several decades, so I am familiar with the genre.

But.. I just don't get it.

There's some good writing, sure - but there's also a load of complete cobblers. I could have easily skipped the first 400 pages of that book, without IMO missing any significant plot action. And this is with a very limited exposure to the series - I can't imagine how bored I'd get if I actually had read all 6.

To me, the only relatively-well-dimensioned characters were Dumbledore and Snape. Everyone else was a 1-D caricature - I found myself praying for Hagrid to just die already, but he never did.

Seriously, I want to know, what's the big deal? What am I missing here? Or do I need to get in touch with my inner child to understand it? I can understand why kids like it, it's basically Enid Blyton with magic - but what's this craze for adults?

Torch, meet the blue touchpaper....
David you just don't get it do you?
Its cas we can that we do
Like pichin their sweets, breakin their toys and liking their music. As soon as the grown-ups like it it becomes so uncool! :whistle:

David Bailey
12th-August-2005, 02:34 PM
David you just don't get it do you?
Story of my life...

Its cas we can that we do
Like pichin their sweets, breakin their toys and liking their music. As soon as the grown-ups like it it becomes so uncool! :whistle:
This is the rubbing-baby-food-over-body thing again, yes?

DianaS
24th-August-2005, 12:51 PM
Story of my life...

This is the rubbing-baby-food-over-body thing again, yes?
Why, Hell No! David...
that would be perverted :rofl: