PDA

View Full Version : New job or not...

DianaS
14th-June-2005, 09:41 AM
Was chatting with my mate last night and getting up to speed with all that happened at Southport and mentioned a job I've just applied for (5k more and son's going to Uni in a cuppla years)
She was horrified "but its an HOUR away and you'll be too tired to dance!!"
The bubble burst and the reality of coming home tired, cooking and then being too late to hit a venue imploded on my senses...
The applications in already so the dice have started to roll,
I'd love to know though how many people take in their dancing committments when thinking about serious life changes

Dizzy
14th-June-2005, 09:55 AM
I'd love to know though how many people take in their dancing committments when thinking about serious life changes

It's funny how dancing has suddenly become a major influence in my life. I too, am looking into changing my job and applying for various positions. I have even applied for a job in Dublin and nearly didn't apply just because if I moved there, I could not ceroc........ :tears:

Have also applied to jobs in London though so I can stay and ceroc all week!!! :clap:

Purple Sparkler
14th-June-2005, 10:39 AM
At the moment, going to church, dancing, and my friendships are the only things keeping me going. I'm single, and I hate my job- I'm still in the probation period (bastards extended it- LONG story) and it really isn't the right job for me. But trying to find a new one is difficult as trying to find TIME to find a new one is difficult. If anyone knows of any good PA vacancies in London let me know!

And like Dizzy, I've been put off applying for some jobs owing to the distance from London- not just Ceroc but I've slowly been building a life here and it would be a shame to lose that before I'm ready.

Lynn
14th-June-2005, 11:02 AM
I enjoy my job but it pays peanuts. I was thinking last night (still on the post weekender high) that if I got a better paid job I could afford to travel to more weekenders and other events. Its frustrating having such a great time dancing, then coming home and knowing that I won't get the opportunity to dance again for 3 months :tears:

Gadget
14th-June-2005, 11:04 AM
I've got an hour's travel from work to home, and half an hour's travel from work to my local venue (in completley opposite directions :()
My solution is that I don't actually go home on that day: just pack a bag in the morning, change after work (grab some dinner with a friend I don't see that often) and head straight to the venue. Works for me :waycool:

DavidY
14th-June-2005, 12:50 PM
I've got an hour's travel from work to home ~SNIP~
My solution is that I don't actually go home on that day: just pack a bag in the morning, change after work (grab some dinner with a friend I don't see that often) and head straight to the venue. Works for me :waycool: :yeah: I do something very similar - not going home is good because there's less danger you'll sit down and decide not to go out dancing.

The main problem I find with working an hour from home is the cost of travel/wearing out cars etc.

Where would your new job be, Diana?

DavidB
14th-June-2005, 01:36 PM
If I had to make a choice between a better job or more time to dance, then the job would win every time.

Andy McGregor
14th-June-2005, 01:48 PM
If I had to make a choice between a better job or more time to dance, then the job would win every time.But what would your choice be if it was work OR dancing?

DavidB
14th-June-2005, 01:55 PM
But what would your choice be if it was work OR dancing?
The job

stewart38
14th-June-2005, 03:32 PM
I enjoy my job but it pays peanuts. :tears:

Im bored by my job and am paid lots of peanuts so you cant win.

Benefit of the job i can post away all day and still get paid a lot

3hrs travel a day a draw back

If your bored or want change take the new job

But what would your choice be if it was work OR dancing?

Abbey National do not reduce my mortgage if I go on lots of weekenders so i dont understand this. Although perhaps taken out of context. I dont work till 8 or 9pm anymore (lets face it i never did) . I work a bit and play hard , i think the saying goes ?

philsmove
14th-June-2005, 04:51 PM
I desperately need a tele sales person

The office is with in a 15-minute drive of 8 leroc dance venues

Andy McGregor
15th-June-2005, 04:46 PM
In all seriousness, the trendy thing is work/life balance. There is a trade-off between work and real-life. Some of us, me included, go through a stage of thinking work is our life and "we are what we do". Then we get married, have kids, etc. Our priorities change, we do not take that offer of a fab job in New York or Sydney because it will disrupt our children's education - and for some people it might even mean that there's no decent dance venue nearby.

So we accept that we need to balance our work needs with the rest of our lives. We take a job because it's near to where we currently live, or because we get home before the kids go to bed, or we get to come home on a weeknight, etc. We compromise - but this can only happen if the compromise job pays enough money!

N.B. Sorry, I've just slipped into sensible mode - normal service will be resumed after 4 cups of strong coffee! :wink:

Andy McGregor
15th-June-2005, 04:50 PM
I desperately need a tele sales person

The office is with in a 15-minute drive of 8 leroc dance venuesCan't you have a few 'phones installed in the venues?

Clive Long
15th-June-2005, 04:55 PM
<< snip >>
I'm still in the probation period (bastards extended it- LONG story)
<< snip >>

Health warning - the following is just my opinion - does anyone know the law in this area?

I'm guessing here ....

Think of them extending your probationary period as a GOOD thing - at least if they thought you were not up to the job they would have said "thanks, but no thanks"

However, to have the rules changed must be galling if you feel you have already proved yourself.

Now, did you sign a contract of employment which was clear about your probationary period? Maybe they are not sure about whether they have the budget to commit to permanent employee and the employment protection that kicks in after a couple of years.

So ... they think, "let's see how the money goes, and if we can't generate the income, we will only have employed her for a short period. The probationary period doesn't count" (I think they may be wrong there)

My suggestion (and it's only my opinion, health warning, health warning) is don't make an big issue of it now, but speak to the "management" as to why they have done this and do they have a problem with your work. They may lie of course. Then write a pleasant note to them summarising the position but make it clear, in a non-aggressive way, what the original deal was. If they are up to no good, they may question why you are doing this - don't be bullied. Say you want to know they are happy or not with what you are doing. Say it's about getting honest feedback.

Then, if they do employ you permanently and pull the rug later you may have clocked up enough permanent time to get compensation. Of course, the prospect of spending two years or longer there may appal .... I spent several years at a job I hated and now all I ask myself is "why?". They undermined my self-confidence so I thought I couldn't get another job so didn't try ... and the result was obvious. I was my own worst enemy - but I have learned - sloooowly.

I know it sounds callous they might be keeping their options open, but that's the way some people work - and best to be forearmed if you do get dumped on. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. :flower:

Clive

stewart38
15th-June-2005, 04:58 PM
At the moment, going to church, dancing, and my friendships are the only things keeping me going. I'm single, and I hate my job- I'm still in the probation period (bastards extended it- LONG story) and it really isn't the right job for me. But trying to find a new one is difficult as trying to find TIME to find a new one is difficult. If anyone knows of any good PA vacancies in London let me know!

And like Dizzy, I've been put off applying for some jobs owing to the distance from London- not just Ceroc but I've slowly been building a life here and it would be a shame to lose that before I'm ready.

Na give us the long story, then we will sort it :grin:

bigdjiver
15th-June-2005, 09:23 PM
All there is to be said for work as opposed to dancing is that it is so much easier. -Heywood Brown

Donna
16th-June-2005, 01:57 PM
Was chatting with my mate last night and getting up to speed with all that happened at Southport and mentioned a job I've just applied for (5k more and son's going to Uni in a cuppla years)
The bubble burst and the reality of coming home tired, cooking and then being too late to hit a venue imploded on my senses...

I'm exactly the same. I'm very careful when looking for a new job. It's gotta be 9-5, no weekends. If it Involved having to go away on business or working one weekend.....i'd say NOOOO WAAAAAY!!!! I remember going for one interview and the agency told me that it was just mon-Fri 9-5. They told me that I'd be expected to work every other weekend and sometimes work as late as 6 or 8.00. I deliberatly tried to do not sell myself so well during the interview....in fact I didn't show any interest and never said much or asked any questions. All because I knew it would effect my dance nights/weekends. I knew they wouldn't except me!! he he!!

Clive Long
16th-June-2005, 05:16 PM
<< snip >>
I deliberatly tried to do not sell myself so well during the interview....in fact I didn't show any interest and never said much or asked any questions. All because I knew it would effect my dance nights/weekends. I knew they wouldn't except me!! he he!!
I'm curious - because I'm on a long road to a small career change.

If you were so convinced you did not want to accept the time demands of the job, why did you go to the interview?

Clive

Cruella
16th-June-2005, 05:48 PM

I used to live in County Durham where i could only dance once a week unless i travelled 2 hours. When my husband got his new job, we knew we would have to move south of Birmingham as that is where the headquarters are, but as he is home based had no real restrictions as to where we lived. So i got out the atlas and highlighted all the dance venues around the midlands and london area. That is how we chose the area we were going to move to. It turned out to be a great choice as i can dance every night of the week if i wish and can reach the good north london venues in just over an hour. :clap: :clap: