PDA

View Full Version : Improving overall dancing levels

David Bailey
14th-June-2005, 08:41 AM
Inspired by a previous comment (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125875&postcount=6):

It seems to me that the overall average dancer levels at some venues is stuck at the same level - whereas at other venues it increases (or at least plateaus at a higher level).

Is this something that all regulars should contribute to? Is it a reflection of the teacher? The venue? The hotshot mentality? The limitations of the Ceroc system itself?

(I'm pre-supposing a lower average dance ability at a venue is a Bad Thing, although one could make counter-arguments in terms of beginner-friendliness etc.)

Dazzle
15th-June-2005, 03:58 AM
It seems to me that the overall average dancer levels at some venues is stuck at the same level - whereas at other venues it increases (or at least plateaus at a higher level).

This could be due to numerous factors:
Teacher(s)
Venue (How long been running)
Class Exposure
Crew

I teach at different venues and have to tailor my classes to the ability of the dancers there. This can sometimes be due to how long the class has been running, how many beginners, how many new people, etc. However, I always try to include something that will stretch the dancers in the lesson. I find dancers can swtich off as well if the lesson is not fun, entertaining and challenging too.

The exposure of the venue to travelling dancers, the success of it's own dancers, in say competitions, and visiting celebrities to enthuse others to improve and set their own goals for improvement. I think it is a good thing to visit other venues and experience different teachers, venues, music and of course dancers. There are so many contributing factors to this one I am sure there will be many varied responses here!