PDA

View Full Version : Southport - The Journey

Minnie M
13th-June-2005, 11:29 AM
I travelled up with Jockey who lives quite near me and the petrol cost about £55, which we obviously shared and the journey took 7 hours going (with a couple of breaks, one being a social one) and the journey back took about 5 hours (left at 4:30am) with a couple of breaks and a bit of Monday rush hour traffic - we should have left earlier but the dancing was too good to leave.

Am curious about the journey time/cost of other forumites

djtrev
13th-June-2005, 03:29 PM
Minnie-5 hours and about £30.

Lynn
13th-June-2005, 05:00 PM
Journey time - about 4 1/2 hours - including an hour or so at the airport for check in and lunch.

Cost - total £26 (£11 for flights and £15 for a share in car hire costs).

jivecat
13th-June-2005, 06:41 PM
Two and a half hours, starting at 7:45 on Friday evening. A lot longer on the way back 'cos I stopped at IKEA. (You should have been there, NG!)

Cost, about £25, just under half a tank of petrol.

Minnie M
13th-June-2005, 07:01 PM
Minnie-5 hours and about £30.
Our journey back was 5 hours - why did I spend so much on petrol ? Was it because I filled up on the motorway ? Driving fast ? Air Con ? Bad traffic - Or just bad driving ????

I have a little Micra and a diddy tank so had to fill up 3 times (not a full tank each time, but just in case seeing it is such a small tank)

DavidY
13th-June-2005, 11:25 PM
Our journey back was 5 hours - why did I spend so much on petrol ? Was it because I filled up on the motorway ? Driving fast ? Air Con ? Bad traffic - Or just bad driving ????Unlike dancing, the best way to save fuel is never to hit the "breaks". ( :blush: ) Every time you brake in a car, you're losing the energy that the petrol has given you. I reckon it's like leading - the best way is to anticipate what you need the car to do, and change speed gently - sudden jerky movements can waste fuel.

All IMO of course...

David Bailey
14th-June-2005, 08:45 AM
Our journey back was 5 hours - why did I spend so much on petrol ? Was it because I filled up on the motorway ? Driving fast ? Air Con ? Bad traffic - Or just bad driving ????

I have a little Micra and a diddy tank so had to fill up 3 times (not a full tank each time, but just in case seeing it is such a small tank)
In your case, it could be the car itself - it's maybe designed to be more efficient in urban driving rather than at, ahem, 70mph? (or higher speeds)

Micras are lovely cars, though :flower:

Petal
14th-June-2005, 01:36 PM
Am curious about the journey time/cost of other forumites

Took us about five hours each way, that was with one stop half way through each journey to have coffee, stretch our legs and swap drivers. Cost us £15 each (£60 total) for fuel.

Our first visit and only got lost briefly once we got to preston. Took a different route home with no problems at all.