PDA

View Full Version : Dance Costumes..what Really Stands Out??

Donna
10th-June-2005, 01:54 PM
Need some tips for a dance costume? What really stands out? Anyone have any different ideas apart from the old big puffy combats or sequens???

Purple Sparkler
10th-June-2005, 02:09 PM
Need some tips for a dance costume? What really stands out? Anyone have any different ideas apart from the old big puffy combats or sequens???

Well, I always think that a very...ahem...minimal costume stands out if you're a woman.

David Bailey
10th-June-2005, 03:01 PM
Well, I always think that a very...ahem...minimal costume stands out if you're a woman.
I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve really.

In a competition, sure, less is more, as long as you've got the right proportions of "less" to get away with it. But to dance with - errr, no, all that bare skin, after an hour, hot environment... I'm sure I don't need to draw you a picture. :wink:

In a "dress-up dance" venue, I personally prefer strategic flashes of flesh, rather than having it "all out front" (or "out back" or whatever).

Otherwise, sequins and sparkles seem to be the fave choice of a lot of girlies nowdays...

JoC
20th-June-2005, 12:51 PM
What really stands out?
Bold colours...? Having done a little research into the matter by occasionally avoiding the temptation to wear good old black, I conclude that it is just possible that I get more dances at party nights from non-regulars when more brightly dressed...maybe... by becoming, for example, 'the lady in green'. (This is how is works in my head anyway.)

Aside from that, ummm, lace, silk, ribbons, satin, hawaiian prints, pvc, leather, studs....... :innocent:

(Wear all the above simultaneously and you'll definitely stand out!) :D

JoC
20th-June-2005, 12:53 PM
I would also like to add leopard skin print...

Lou
20th-June-2005, 01:03 PM
Jo - you've been rooting around in my wardrobe again, haven't you?

David Franklin
20th-June-2005, 01:04 PM
Or if you subscribe to the less-is-more approach, you can do a lot with a belt... :devil:

CJ
20th-June-2005, 01:05 PM
Have been known to stand out a little in my kilts, but no-one has held it against me... :D

Donna
20th-June-2005, 01:19 PM
Or if you subscribe to the less-is-more approach, you can do a lot with a belt... :devil:

oh my goodness.....!! :eek: Errmmm...who is that anyway??? Yeah think i'll wear the belt...but remember bright colours are important...so may consider an illuminous pink one?? And some pink floss to wear on the lower part. Ahem...if you know what i mean. oh and of course pink shoes to match...hows that??? :D :D :D

Donna
20th-June-2005, 01:23 PM
Bold colours...? Having done a little research into the matter by occasionally avoiding the temptation to wear good old black, I conclude that it is just possible that I get more dances at party nights from non-regulars when more brightly dressed...maybe... by becoming, for example, 'the lady in green'. (This is how is works in my head anyway.)

Aside from that, ummm, lace, silk, ribbons, satin, hawaiian prints, pvc, leather, studs....... :innocent:

(Wear all the above simultaneously and you'll definitely stand out!) :D

Hmmm green definately works. Besides its a change from the usual colours aka... black, red or blue. Green lace on top i was thinking....with some sequins i suppose. :waycool:

David Franklin
20th-June-2005, 01:24 PM
oh my goodness.....!! :eek: Errmmm...who is that anyway???That's Kyle Redd and Sarah van Drake winning the US Open (2002) - they are the only couple to have won the US Open in both Classic and Showcase divisions. The front isn't quite so bad, and there's some illusion fabric in there as well. But I think it would be fair to say Sarah stretches the envelope (f'narr f'narr) when it comes to minimal costuming...

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-June-2005, 01:27 PM
oh my goodness.....!! :eek: Errmmm...who is that anyway??? Yeah think i'll wear the belt...but remember bright colours are important...so may consider an illuminous pink one?? And some pink floss to wear on the lower part. Ahem...if you know what i mean. oh and of course pink shoes to match...hows that??? :D :D :D

I was just about to suggest Pink, you read my mind :wink: It is my favourite colour and the best colour in the world, especially bright pink! I think a nice pink dress with pink sequins and ribbon/lace, whatever takes your fancy-just make sure it is bright pink!...then send it to me after the competion, shall PM you with my address :whistle:

Ashx (A lady obsessed with the colour pink)

Gadget
20th-June-2005, 01:35 PM
Were you looking for volunteers? :what:

Donna
20th-June-2005, 01:45 PM
I was just about to suggest Pink, you read my mind :wink: It is my favourite colour and the best colour in the world, especially bright pink! I think a nice pink dress with pink sequins and ribbon/lace, whatever takes your fancy-just make sure it is bright pink!...then send it to me after the competion, shall PM you with my address :whistle:

Ashx (A lady obsessed with the colour pink)

Hmmm wore pink in May for the ceroc comp. I actually made the top out of some bright pink fish net tights. It was simple...you just pop your arms through the legs and poke five holes each end so you can pop your fingers through.......and errmm....you can guess where the head went. It was Gemma at Strictly Dance Fever that gave me the idea. I told her i admired her top as was totally different, and she told me how do it. Was easy!! :grin:

Sparkles
20th-June-2005, 03:44 PM
As a purely personal opinion I would advise, for competition dancing, avoiding red, pink, orange and black - not only because they're 'over-worn' (ie everyone's got a dress in those colours) but also because the lighting is rarely good enough to make one stand out especially against the reddy-orangy-brown of the floor.
Better choices are green, turquoise, blue, white and (if you're really feeling brave) yellow. Also anything fluorescent is bound to stand out.
As for style, sounds obvious but anyway, try to enhance your best features and hide your worst - IMO there's nothing worse than someone with a flabby stomach wearing a two-piece, for example (this is not meant as a personal comment against anyone, it's just an example :flower: ). Make sure the costume has some movement to it - either on the skirt, arms or midriff - again try to enhance your best features here - and apply sparkly things to the points where you are likely to get the most movement so that they will catch the light and draw the eye. Avoid lots of fiddly straps (they're so annoying :angry: ). And last but not least make sure you're wearing appropriate underwear.
:flower:
S. x

David Bailey
20th-June-2005, 07:06 PM
try to enhance your best features and hide your worst
So, for me, that's a bag over head, combined with bare shoulders (me Mum said I had good shoulders about 25 years ago, I think that's the last compliment I got :tears: )

Gotta say, that'd be a new look for me... :whistle:

Mary
20th-June-2005, 08:19 PM
Sparkles, will you be my personal dress/outfit advisor? Pretty please? :flower:

M

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-June-2005, 09:39 PM

M
:yeah: Not that i'll ever compete, but you'd be good to have around to help before parties :flower:

Ashx

foxylady
20th-June-2005, 10:02 PM
:yeah: Not that i'll ever compete, but you'd be good to have around to help before parties :flower:

Ashx

Oooh she is, she is !!! Not that I took her advice in Southport all the time :wink:

MouthoftheSouth
21st-June-2005, 02:01 AM
Push up bras and cold temperatures make dancers really stand out!! :devil: :D :wink: :flower:

Sparkles
21st-June-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm more than happy to be personal fashion guru to you all, but beware, I won't mince words, you'll know what I think and it'll be extremely honest!
:flower:
S. x

(did I mention that I also make dresses?) :whistle:

ducasi
21st-June-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm more than happy to be personal fashion guru to you all, but beware, I won't mince words, you'll know what I think and it'll be extremely honest! Have you ever considered a career in television? :wink:

Sheepman
21st-June-2005, 11:53 AM
but you'd be good to have around to help before parties :flower: She's great to have around after parties too, she loves washing up!! :whistle:

(Runs and takes cover :eek: )

Greg

David Franklin
21st-June-2005, 12:02 PM
She's great to have around after parties too, she loves washing up!! :whistle: I'm told bloodstains all over the costume stand out rather well as well...

Purple Sparkler
21st-June-2005, 12:14 PM
(did I mention that I also make dresses?) :whistle:

You do?
we may need to talk at some point in the near future...

Donna
21st-June-2005, 01:20 PM

M

MINE TOO!!!! Sparkles really knows what she's talking about. Thanks for the advice sparkles. :flower: You sure you're not a stylist??? :really:

Donna
21st-June-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm told bloodstains all over the costume stand out rather well as well...

Meeeaaoowww!!! :D

Chicklet
21st-June-2005, 02:24 PM
proper sticky out circle skirts and petticoats stand out :grin: :waycool:
and are best worn with accompanying bee-hive and half a can of hair laquer.

I have the licence to wear the biggest skirts in Scotland and Margaret Rose :hug: cuts a fine figure in slightly smaller albeit still delightfully becoming shorter ones :devil:

forum members should feel free to dress "in homage" outside of Scotland but should apply by PM for sub-contract permission at local events :rofl:

DangerousCurves
22nd-June-2005, 01:05 AM
If you are looking for a competition/exhibition dance costume, try to take a look at the venue where you will be dancing too.... if curtains etc. behind you are a solid block colour avoid that in your costume choice... it will help you stand out both when you dance and in any photos etc of the event.

Gary
22nd-June-2005, 01:24 AM
... it will help you stand out ... in any photos etc of the event.
If you're wanting to really stand out in photos, that reflective tape (like what night road-workers have) is just insanely bright in photos taken with a flash.

Sparkles
22nd-June-2005, 09:34 AM
She's great to have around after parties too, she loves washing up!! :whistle:

You're in SERIOUS trouble!

:rofl: :kiss:
S. x

Sheepman
22nd-June-2005, 12:46 PM
You're in SERIOUS trouble! What? :eek: Even if I offer to dry? :whistle:

Greg :flower:

Donna
22nd-June-2005, 01:49 PM
What? :eek: Even if I offer to dry? :whistle:

Greg :flower:

Now now children..... :grin:

Sparkles
23rd-June-2005, 09:24 AM
:eek:
We've been told off!
I'm always too much of a goody goody to get told off :innocent:...
...maybe this is the beginning of the end :what:
S. x

Sheepman
23rd-June-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm always too much of a goody goody to get told off :innocent:... Speak for yourself! :devil:

...maybe this is the beginning of the end :what: :confused: Or even the end of the beginning? :what:
Could this be another duel in the making, maybe it will be Dishcloths at dawn, or Sequins at Sundown?
Nah! It has to be something I stand a chance with.
Damn! that narrows the field down! ...
Tries to think of some ancient game where wisdom :eek: and practice, may win out over a superior intellect, and a woman, to boot! ...

Greg

Sparkles
23rd-June-2005, 10:17 AM
How about tiddlywinks?

Sheepman
23rd-June-2005, 01:09 PM
OK, making a feeble attempt to get back near the thread. Anyone that's seen me recently in comps will hardly have failed to notice that the neon pinks, greens, yellows or oranges certainly stand out, I do find it takes a certain amount of nerve to wear them though!
Something that was popular for a while were the t-shirts with flashing (some even programmable) fronts, but competitions are mostly held under bright lighting, so the effect was lost. The battery pack must also be a pain.

Now, back to the serious business:-

How about tiddlywinks?
Suits me fine, just about my level, but can you supply the tiddly? I don't seem to have one of those :innocent:

Greg

CJ
23rd-June-2005, 01:13 PM
proper sticky out circle skirts and petticoats stand out :grin: :waycool:
and are best worn with accompanying bee-hive and half a can of hair laquer.

They certainly make me stand out!! :devil: Ooops, :blush:

Still, as they say... "Nice legs, what about the face?!?" :rofl:

Donna
23rd-June-2005, 01:40 PM
OK, making a feeble attempt to get back near the thread. Anyone that's seen me recently in comps will hardly have failed to notice that the neon pinks, greens, yellows or oranges certainly stand out, I do find it takes a certain amount of nerve to wear them though!

Greg

Greg, you looked fab in those neon orange stripes. You out of three other guys stood out the most.

Something that was popular for a while were the t-shirts with flashing (some even programmable) fronts, but competitions are mostly held under bright lighting, so the effect was lost.

Programmable??? :eek: Hmmm thats an idea for the next comp....thing is where the heck do you get them???

Lou
23rd-June-2005, 01:43 PM
Programmable??? :eek: Hmmm thats an idea for the next comp....thing is where the heck do you get them???
Cyberdog (http://www.cyberdog.net/tradingstation/index.html) . :) Although the programmable ones are far more bulky.

Donna
23rd-June-2005, 01:52 PM
Cyberdog (http://www.cyberdog.net/tradingstation/index.html) . :) Although the programmable ones are far more bulky.

Not such a good idea in this weather then. :cool:

Lou
23rd-June-2005, 02:00 PM
Not such a good idea in this weather then. :cool:
Ahhh... I meant that the actual display panels (the bits that flash, etc) were bulkier on the programable light t-shirts, not that the t-shirts themselves were bulky! Sorry! :D

David Bailey
23rd-June-2005, 03:13 PM
Anybody tried Custom Clothes? (http://www.customclothes.co.uk/) - they were mentioned to me recently...

Northants Girly
23rd-June-2005, 03:21 PM
Anybody tried Custom Clothes? (http://www.customclothes.co.uk/) - they were mentioned to me recently...Yep - bought a gorgeous handmade skirt from them ages ago at a sale they had in Hove. :D

Mary
23rd-June-2005, 06:51 PM
The couple who won the Intermediates at the Ceroc Champs this year stood out (apart from great dancing :worthy: :worthy: ) - they had their names in some kind of bright reflective fabric across their bottoms! Seemed to work.

M

Lou
23rd-June-2005, 07:00 PM
The couple who won the Intermediates at the Ceroc Champs this year stood out (apart from great dancing :worthy: :worthy: ) - they had their names in some kind of bright reflective fabric across their bottoms! Seemed to work.
It might have helped them stand out on the day, but despite the big hint of their names emblazoned on their bottoms, Cerocâ„¢ still managed to get Bex's name wrong on the champs result website... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5245&page=3) ;)

jockey
24th-June-2005, 01:15 AM
Ive been to a couple of Nigel and Nina talks on the subject of competitions and outfits. Not black for the men; whatever it is try it out on the dancefloor first in case it catches on something, falls apart etc.,; an outfit should go with as many different styles of music as possible (you dont choose the music in a freestyle comp) e.g., you would look a bit daft doing rocknroll in a Tango outfit; matching with your partner is good eg., both smart or both sporty not one of each.
Personally, from the comp circuit I reckon sequins and other sparkly stuff looks good, red is good and it is important that the man doesnt overwhelm the woman e.g., I heard something attributed to DavidB whereby the mans colour should be dark and the womans bright or light to show up against his background in a highlighting effect.
Personally I like girls in tight trousers or leggings so that the range of possible moves increases without embarrassment (cf "The hanger"). The women in Latin American comps look great. Overall in comps you "have to look as if you have made an effort" (and points accrue, believe me).

Donna
24th-June-2005, 03:52 PM
Ive been to a couple of Nigel and Nina talks on the subject of competitions and outfits. whatever it is try it out on the dancefloor first in case it catches on something, falls apart etc.,; an outfit should go with as many different styles of music as possible (you dont choose the music in a freestyle comp) e.g.,matching with your partner is good eg., both smart or both sporty not one of each.

Personally I like girls in tight trousers or leggings so that the range of possible moves increases without embarrassment (cf "The hanger"). The women in Latin American comps look great. Overall in comps you "have to look as if you have made an effort" (and points accrue, believe me).

Not black for the men;

Not black for either the man or the woman because it doesn't stand out at all.

you would look a bit daft doing rocknroll in a Tango outfit

Obviously ha ha :rofl:

Personally, from the comp circuit I reckon sequins and other sparkly stuff looks good, red is good and it is important that the man doesnt overwhelm the woman e.g., I heard something attributed to DavidB whereby the mans colour should be dark and the womans bright or light to show up against his background in a highlighting effect.

Yes i agree sequins should be stuck on any costume for effect i agree red does look good but people wear it all the time. I also agree the mans colour should be dark and he should also be wearing a bit of the colour that the lady is fully dressed in. E.G The man might dress all in black BUUUT wears a pink belt and few sequins, and lady wears pink dress. That normally looks really smart.

JoC
24th-June-2005, 05:50 PM
in case it catches on something, falls apart etc.

or in case anything falls out

Donna
29th-June-2005, 02:13 PM
or in case anything falls out

That would be EXTREMELY embarrassing if that happened in the middle of a comp. :blush: What would you do???? :eek: Carry on? Or stop...knowing that their would be a very small chance you won't go through?

David Franklin
29th-June-2005, 02:32 PM
Ive been to a couple of Nigel and Nina talks on the subject of competitions and outfits. Not black for the men;Is that in case you get mistaken for Nigel? :devil:

whatever it is try it out on the dancefloor first in case it catches on something, falls apart etc.,;Yup, actually being able to dance in your outfit has to be the number one criterion!

Personally, from the comp circuit I reckon sequins and other sparkly stuff looks good, red is good and it is important that the man doesnt overwhelm the woman e.g., I heard something attributed to DavidB whereby the mans colour should be dark and the womans bright or light to show up against his background in a highlighting effect.As far as sequins are concerned, I think Swarovski crystals look nicer, and they are far more comfortable for the man. Easier to repair after "accidents", too...

As for David wearing black - I'm sure he said that was for the slimming effect!

Personally I like girls in tight trousers or leggings so that the range of possible moves increases without embarrassment (cf "The hanger"). Or you could go the Vivienne Ramsey route, and just not get embarrassed! (c.f. being lifted in inverted splits with a skirt that wouldn't cover your underwear even if you were standing upright...)

Donna
29th-June-2005, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=DAVE FRANKLIN]As for David wearing black - I'm sure he said that was for the slimming effect![QUOTE/]

MEEEOOOOWWWW!!!!!! :D :rofl:

Sparkles
29th-June-2005, 02:37 PM
Or you could go the Vivienne Ramsey route, and just not get embarrassed! (c.f. being lifted in inverted splits with a skirt that wouldn't cover your underwear even if you were standing upright...)

I have to say I agree with this - if you're going to show your knickers :blush: then you may aswell do it from the beginning :wink:

David Franklin
29th-June-2005, 02:48 PM
I have to say I agree with this - if you're going to show your knickers :blush: then you may aswell do it from the beginning :wink:Are you sure it's not better to wait for a break?

JoC
30th-June-2005, 09:58 AM
What would you do????
I'd pack my things, sell the house and leave the country.

I'm sure a real pro would carry on provided everything could be tucked back in within the next dance move. (Maybe even if everything couldn't be tucked back in - maybe a real pro could answer that one!)

Donna
8th-July-2005, 04:29 PM
I'd pack my things, sell the house and leave the country.

I'm sure a real pro would carry on provided everything could be tucked back in within the next dance move. (Maybe even if everything couldn't be tucked back in - maybe a real pro could answer that one!)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: