PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have A Grumbling Teacher???

Donna
10th-June-2005, 01:42 PM
My teacher complains when me and my partner keep dancing together.....and even tells us who to dance with........WHEN WE'RE ARE PRACTICING FOR COMPS!!!! Anyone elso have similar problemS????

Andy McGregor
10th-June-2005, 02:13 PM
My teacher complains when me and my partner keep dancing together.....and even tells us who to dance with........WHEN WE'RE ARE PRACTICING FOR COMPS!!!! Anyone elso have similar problemS????My advice it to practice for competitions on your own. Practicing for competitions on a busy dance floor is not very productive in terms of working out moves as people keep getting in the way. It's completely different from the competition situation (except the first rounds of DWAS) so it's not really a very good enviromnent to rehearse in. Trying to practice for a competition on a normal class night is a bit like trying to learn your lines in a pub full of people chatting.

And, if you practice at your usual club and don't dance with other people you will be accused of becoming a Hotshot. This is not the worst aspect of practicing at your home club: the worst aspect is that everyone will know you're going to be in a competition and will want to know how you did :tears:

At our classes I usually organise a couple of Sunday afternoon competition practice sessions when a competition is coming up. The handful of couples who want to compete can have plenty of room and they can give each other advice too :hug: I get everyone to share the cost of the room and it usually works out to less than £10 each for 4 hours quality practice. Ask your teacher to do the same for you - or come down to Sussex and practice with us :flower:

Donna
13th-June-2005, 01:05 PM
My advice it to practice for competitions on your own. Practicing for competitions on a busy dance floor is not very productive in terms of working out moves as people keep getting in the way. It's completely different from the competition situation (except the first rounds of DWAS) so it's not really a very good enviromnent to rehearse in. Trying to practice for a competition on a normal class night is a bit like trying to learn your lines in a pub full of people chatting.

And, if you practice at your usual club and don't dance with other people you will be accused of becoming a Hotshot. This is not the worst aspect of practicing at your home club: the worst aspect is that everyone will know you're going to be in a competition and will want to know how you did :tears:

At our classes I usually organise a couple of Sunday afternoon competition practice sessions when a competition is coming up. The handful of couples who want to compete can have plenty of room and they can give each other advice too :hug: I get everyone to share the cost of the room and it usually works out to less than £10 each for 4 hours quality practice. Ask your teacher to do the same for you - or come down to Sussex and practice with us :flower:

Thats a fantastic idea!! Only.....no one in my class competes because a majority of them are still at beginner level. (Have been for a blummin long time) Hey i'm coming down to sussex in october! :grin:

Martin
13th-June-2005, 04:39 PM
Thats a fantastic idea!! Only.....no one in my class competes because a majority of them are still at beginner level. (Have been for a blummin long time) Hey i'm coming down to sussex in october! :grin:
Sounds like you have a gripe with your teacher (who forgot you at Southport)
If you are staff and get in free, then do not support other students fair point, if you pay to get in, your call...

MartinHarper
13th-June-2005, 11:24 PM
My teacher complains when me and my partner keep dancing together.....and even tells us who to dance with........WHEN WE ARE PRACTICING FOR COMPS!

During the class itself, I figure that teachers should be in control of their own lessons, including things like whether the class will be rotation, fixed partner, or some mixture of both.
During freestyle, venue managers will want to promote a certain atmosphere. I think it's reasonable that they talk to people if they feel it will help bring about the atmosphere they want. It needs to be done with an element of diplomacy, though.

Northants Girly
14th-June-2005, 12:13 AM
Only.....no one in my class competes because a majority of them are still at beginner level.
(Have been for a blummin long time) Well maybe if some of the more experienced dancers took time out to dance with them they wouldn't be a beginner level for SO long . . . . eh?

Donna
14th-June-2005, 01:51 PM
Well maybe if some of the more experienced dancers took time out to dance with them they wouldn't be a beginner level for SO long . . . . eh?

I have done and a majority of them are arm yankers. Doesn't matter how many times you tell them to loosen off....they won't. I've actually got an injury through one of them. It's the way they're taught and they can't seem to switch it off.