PDA

View Full Version : The Great Yeast Extract Debate...

Purple Sparkler
10th-June-2005, 12:05 PM
OK, don't know if you've discussed this before but looking at the Room 101 and Room 201 nominations, it's clear that the opinion of Modern Jivers over the controversial issue that is Marmite/Vegemite, and whether it's the food of the Gods or a big steaming jar of evil, is deeply divided.

So I thought I'd let you all vote, and see where the majority really lies.

Let the arguments commence!

Divissima
10th-June-2005, 12:28 PM
OK, don't know if you've discussed this before but looking at the Room 101 and Room 201 nominations, it's clear that the opinion of Modern Jivers over the controversial issue that is Marmite/Vegemite, and whether it's the food of the Gods or a big steaming jar of evil, is deeply divided.I was really hungry on my way into work this morning (all that energy expended on packing for Southport, carrying my big bag into work, etc.) so I treated myself to a toasted bagel with butter and marmite on it from the bagel place close to my office.

mmmmmm.... sweet sweet marmite :drool: :drool: As close to ecstatic perfection in heaven as it is possible to get with foodstuffs, in my opinion. If there's no marmite going, then vegemite is a pretty good substitute from my point of view.

TwK hates it :( but the Trojan Marmite in his fridge is paving the way for The New Regime coming his way... :rofl: :devil:

LMC
10th-June-2005, 02:04 PM
As the poll has been set up to show who voted what and this is obviously a very controversial issue, I'm off to get me some popcorn so I can watch... :D

qjohn
10th-June-2005, 02:50 PM
I have to admit (despite being the wrong side of 40) I've never got round to trying this stuff yet :blush:. So I guess Marmite is still a bit of a Schrödinger's Cat as far as I'm concerned.

Purple Sparkler
10th-June-2005, 04:34 PM
I have to admit (despite being the wrong side of 40) I've never got round to trying this stuff yet :blush:. So I guess Marmite is still a bit of a Schrödinger's Cat as far as I'm concerned.

If you're going to try some (and you should!), the best and most perfect way to eat Marmite (according to the Marmite cookbook, of which I am the proud owner) is as follows:

Take two slices of ordinary white bread.
Toast until lightly golden.
Spread generously with butter.
Spread a thin layer of marmite thereon.
Consume voraciously.

Stuart
10th-June-2005, 04:37 PM
Speaking personally, I can't stand the stuff.

LMC
10th-June-2005, 05:29 PM
If you're going to try some (and you should!), the best and most perfect way to eat Marmite (according to the Marmite cookbook, of which I am the proud owner) is as follows:

Consume voraciously.

I prefer granary bread -

try making a marmite sandwich and toast it - not in a sandwich toaster, but under the grill - crunchy on the outside and all squidgy and marmite-y inside.... hmmmmm-MMMMMMM

baldrick
10th-June-2005, 07:11 PM
MMM marmite on eggy bread (French toast to you sophisticates) mmm slobber drool :drool:

qjohn
13th-June-2005, 09:54 AM

Consume voraciously.

Well (always one for extreme sports - aye right :whistle: ) I decided to give this Marmite stuff a go, as per the above recipe (thanks Purple Sparkler :flower: ), and it turned out to be delicious :drool: .
What have I been missing all these years; now my life seems so much more complete :rolleyes: . (Oh, and the cat lives :clap: )

Purple Sparkler
13th-June-2005, 12:38 PM
Well (always one for extreme sports - aye right :whistle: ) I decided to give this Marmite stuff a go, as per the above recipe (thanks Purple Sparkler :flower: ), and it turned out to be delicious :drool: .
What have I been missing all these years; now my life seems so much more complete :rolleyes: . (Oh, and the cat lives :clap: )

Hurrah! Another convert. Welcome to a world of tasty breakfast, mid afternoon snacks and lots of b-vitamins.

Seahorse
13th-June-2005, 06:10 PM
hmmm... don't think you can beat thick slices of white bread... with a carpet of lurpack and marmite... and if I'm alone - then it's dunked in hot tea...

guess it's a personal thing...

Purple Sparkler
14th-June-2005, 10:46 AM
hmmm... don't think you can beat thick slices of white bread... with a carpet of lurpack and marmite... and if I'm alone - then it's dunked in hot tea...

MMmm....Lurpak....the perfect accompaniment for Marmite in my opinion. :drool:

But dunked in hot tea? :eek: Now THAT'S a yeast extract obsession if ever I saw one.

Lory
14th-June-2005, 12:28 PM
If you're going to try some (and you should!), the best and most perfect way to eat Marmite........snip
I'm sorry to have to disagree but actually, 'Hot, (straight out of the oven) Ciabatta, spead with lashings of Lurpack and 'Bovril' is 'THE BEST' combination, I think you'll find! :cool: :wink: :drool:

Purple Sparkler
14th-June-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry to have to disagree but actually, 'Hot, (straight out of the oven) Ciabatta, spead with lashings of Lurpack and 'Bovril' is 'THE BEST' combination, I think you'll find! :cool: :wink: :drool:

Ooh- haven't tried that one- it sounds yummy! :drool:
*makes mental note to buy Bovril and Ciabatta next time she's in the supermarket...*

Sheepman
15th-June-2005, 11:28 AM
Marmite or Bovril = :yum:
But surely Vegemite is just a feeble, disgusting, watered down excuse, rather than a real man's food? :devil:

Greg

Little Monkey
15th-June-2005, 11:31 AM
In my ever so humble little opinion, Marmite and any similar products are......

YUC!BLAAAAAAAARGH! :sick: :sick: :sick:

LM

under par
15th-June-2005, 11:40 AM
I like Marmite!

Yes I've said it now......its out there in the open....I LIKE MARMITE!

I feel so much better!

Purple Sparkler
15th-June-2005, 11:43 AM
Marmite or Bovril = :yum:
But surely Vegemite is just a feeble, disgusting, watered down excuse, rather than a real man's food? :devil:

Greg

No indeed! It's thicker and creamier than Marmite, and tastes slightly different, but I still think it's gorgeous stuff.

Northants Girly
16th-June-2005, 09:39 AM
Last night I took my Marmite out of the fridge (I'm one of those wierd folk who keep stuff like ketchup, jam etc in there too!)

and I popped it into the microwave for 2 seconds to make it spreadable . . . . . then I forgot about it and left it there on full power . . . . with the lid on :whistle:

A big bang and hissing/bubbling sound :eek: reminded me about where my Marmite was :tears:

The microwave survived - but I now need to go buy fresh Marmite :(

under par
16th-June-2005, 09:40 AM
Last night I took my Marmite out of the fridge (I'm one of those wierd folk who keep stuff like ketchup, jam etc in there too!)

and I popped it into the microwave for 2 seconds to make it spreadable . . . . . then I forgot about it and left it there on full power . . . . with the lid on :whistle:

A big bang and hissing/bubbling sound :eek: reminded me about where my Marmite was :tears:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :worthy:

Purple Sparkler
16th-June-2005, 09:40 AM

Oh, I've done the marmite-in-the-microwave thing. Luckily twas not a full jar, but a mostly empty one. I was just experimenting. Now I know- marmite and microwaves: bad combination.

Seahorse
16th-June-2005, 09:06 PM
like the idea of ciabatta... though it always comes in pathetically woosy pieces... bit too petite for my liking... unless you cut it horizontally and grill.

think you should also think about toasted walnut bread - that really compliments a nice thick slab of full-on high in saturated fat lurpak (why are lifes good things always so unhealthy?) ... slightly chilled so that curls as you spread... with a gorgeously thick lash of the brown stuff... an acquired taste. Incidently - I only dunk my sarnies in earl grey - the bread soaks up the liquid and melts enough of the butter so that it tingles in the mouth - you get a hit of sweet, salty and savoury in one confused mouthful... comfort food for those evenings alone after a crap day.

would also add that I've had a few experiments with microwaves... like don't put a packet of foil wrapped lurpak in - as sparks start 'pinging' off the wrapper... in a really spectacular fashion...

Or a lightbbulb stuck to a blob of blue tack (zapped on high power)... the bulb glows incredibly brightly before exploding with a big bang...

Lory
16th-June-2005, 09:13 PM
think you should also think about toasted walnut bread - that really compliments a nice thick slab of full-on high in saturated fat lurpak (why are lifes good things always so unhealthy?) ... slightly chilled so that curls as you spread... with a gorgeously thick lash of the brown stuff... an acquired taste. Incidently - I only dunk my sarnies in earl grey - the bread soaks up the liquid and melts enough of the butter so that it tingles in the mouth - you get a hit of sweet, salty and savoury in one confused mouthful... comfort food for those evenings alone after a crap day.

Now I'm worried :sick:

Reading that, was a seriously erotic experience :devil:

I need help! :blush:

Minnie M
16th-June-2005, 09:17 PM

got quite excited for a moment, then you dunked it in your tea :sick: yep marmite flavoured tea must be a personal thing - some things should not be shared :whistle:

KatieR
17th-June-2005, 05:50 PM
Im sorry, I cannot sit idly by and watch this happen....

Were happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be...
We all enjoy our vegemite for breakfast lunch and tea,
Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week -
Because we love our vegemite..
We all enjoy our vegemite..
it puts a rose in every cheek!!!! :clap:

VEGEMITE VEGEMITE RA RA RA!!

Marmite is for wussies.

Divissima
17th-June-2005, 09:57 PM
Marmite is for wussies.Where I come from, that's fightin' talk :devil:

philsmove
17th-June-2005, 11:08 PM
I nearly got arrested for smuggling marmite down under
poor darlings they are stick with veggieyuck :sad:

Marmite and baked potatoes :drool: :drool:

KatieR
18th-June-2005, 03:59 PM
Where I come from, that's fightin' talk :devil:

You betcha! :wink:

Marmite is too sweet.. it tastes like it has been sweetened up to be edible. Whereas vegemite separates the girls and boys from the women and men!!

Tessalicious
18th-June-2005, 05:27 PM
Marmite is too sweet.. it tastes like it has been sweetened up to be edible.
So what you're saying is that Vegemite isn't edible and Marmite is... :whistle:
(case closed I feel)

KatieR
18th-June-2005, 10:09 PM
So what you're saying is that Vegemite isn't edible and Marmite is... :whistle:
(case closed I feel)

Not necessarily, all im saying is that Vegemite is a lot stronger flavour than marmite. Its definately an aquired taste I guess its what makes us Australian! We prefer Vegemite!

Little Monkey
19th-June-2005, 12:33 PM
After reading through this thread, I am Deeply Concerned. It has occured to me that some of you might need Therapy. Possibly just locking you all up in a padded cell with lots of bread, marmite, lurpac and a microwave might work... Hmmmm.... Or will it just make you worse? :whistle:

Particularly worried about Lory.... :rofl:

Very Sane Non-Marmite-Eating Monkey

(Just walk away slowly..... :whistle: )

Minnie M
19th-June-2005, 12:51 PM
..... Possibly just locking you all up in a padded cell with lots of bread, marmite, lurpac......
A good supply of bitter chocolait + DD's music and throw away the key :clap: :clap:

Rhythm King
19th-June-2005, 12:54 PM
After reading through this thread, I am Deeply Concerned. It has occured to me that some of you might need Therapy. Possibly just locking you all up in a padded cell with lots of bread, marmite, lurpac and a microwave might work... Hmmmm.... Or will it just make you worse? :whistle:

Very Sane Non-Marmite-Eating Monkey

(Just walk away slowly..... :whistle: )

Perhaps it's time for a barbecue... :whistle:

Feelingpink
19th-June-2005, 06:58 PM
Perhaps it's time for a barbecue... :whistle:

Down RK, she is not self-basting! LM, it is safe to visit London; there is even a larder in Wapping in which Marmite and Vegemite coexist quite happily (along with peanut butter and a fridge containing St Dalfour jams).

Rhythm King
19th-June-2005, 07:45 PM
Down RK, she is not self-basting! LM, it is safe to visit London; there is even a larder in Wapping in which Marmite and Vegemite coexist quite happily (along with peanut butter and a fridge containing St Dalfour jams).

No, actually she is self-basting - that's the point! MurrHurrHurrHurr! :eek:

But really LM, it is safe to visit London and you're welcome to see the fabled co-exisitng yeast products anytime.

R-K :flower:

Funky Mado
19th-June-2005, 08:18 PM
I love both marmite AND vegemite! Always have, always will!! :worthy:
but, I find less is more. I am not too keen on big mountains of it on my toast (brown bread not white)
It's a very scrummy snack after a good nights cerocing! :na: yummmm

Lory
19th-June-2005, 10:40 PM

That makes two of us then! :wink:

Trousers
19th-June-2005, 11:36 PM
Not a 'mite person myself but saw a Marmite Cookery Book in Milton Keynes today.

Nearly bought it to throw posts up in here for all of you 'mities.

However common sense prevailed.

Lory
20th-June-2005, 12:17 AM
Not a 'mite person myself but saw a Marmite Cookery Book in Milton Keynes today.

I can give you a recipe and its a great one for the kids to do as it's EEEASY! :grin:

Cheese straws

1.Take 1pkt of Puff pastry

2.Roll out thinly

3. Spread generously with marmite/bovril

4.Sprinkle grated cheese over HALF of it...

5. Fold and gently roll again

then repeat stages 3 and 4 again

6.Trim all rough edges and discard (or do what ever you fancy with them :D )

7. Now cut into 1/2inch wide strips

8. Twist and place on a baking tray

9. And bake in a hot oven, till crisp!

Enjoy! :)

Purple Sparkler
20th-June-2005, 09:56 AM
You betcha! :wink:

Marmite is too sweet.. it tastes like it has been sweetened up to be edible. Whereas vegemite separates the girls and boys from the women and men!!

...the awkwardly feminine from the possibly Canadian...

Sorry, came over all Dodgeball for a moment...

Also, Katie, is liking Vegemite the main criterion for being Australian? If it is, it's time for me to head over there!

KatieR
20th-June-2005, 03:23 PM

My pantry also includes a rather large jar of nutella... hang the bread... I just go at it with a spoon (the nutella, not vegemite... that would just be gross).

Oh and Purple Sparkler, not only must you enjoy the savoury taste of Vegemite but also must be familiar in the ways of the Tim Tam Suck!

cicamica
20th-June-2005, 03:35 PM
Well would you believe it when i came to England (I am a hungarian and was originally an au-pair). I had no idea what this Marmit stuff was. Come to think of it have not tried many things yet back then (not even lasagne or indian food). So when i discovered this little yellow-brown jar in the cupboard i thought...........hey FAB ITS CHOCOLATE SAUCE!! So i attacked with a big spoon!! :sick: Yikes!! Worst food experience ever!!

Then a year later i got it offered on toast and me being very polite i ate it..........and never guess!! I realised it is fab in small quantities!! Now I love having my Marmite on toast with a mug of coffee in the morning!! Its just yum-yum :drool:

qjohn
20th-June-2005, 04:37 PM
...also must be familiar in the ways of the Tim Tam Suck!As once demo'd by Natalie Imbruglia, now there's a fond memory :innocent: :drool:

Purple Sparkler
20th-June-2005, 04:39 PM
My pantry also includes a rather large jar of nutella... hang the bread... I just go at it with a spoon (the nutella, not vegemite... that would just be gross).

Oh and Purple Sparkler, not only must you enjoy the savoury taste of Vegemite but also must be familiar in the ways of the Tim Tam Suck!

When somebody gives me some Tim Tams, I'll be glad to give it a try! I've heard all about the Tim Tam Suck on the Ceroc Australia forum.

EDIT: I have been known to get a spoonful of marmite out of the jar and eat it on its own...

Dizzy
20th-June-2005, 04:48 PM

I don't know what a Tim Tam Suck is but judging on the name of it, I'm sure that I would give it a go anyway!! :rofl:

Now, Nutella with a spoon out of the jar - food of the Gods!!

Tessalicious
20th-June-2005, 04:48 PM
Would that be the same as the Tim-Tam slam? I've only seen this demonstrated with Penguins, which I'm told are less effective but still quite fun...

Purple Sparkler
20th-June-2005, 04:51 PM
Would that be the same as the Tim-Tam slam? I've only seen this demonstrated with Penguins, which I'm told are less effective but still quite fun...

I believe so. And I reckon I can probably guess who demonstrated it for you...

Feelingpink
21st-June-2005, 12:29 AM
Just discovered the vegemite official web site (http://www.vegemite.com.au/) which contained the following important information ...

"In 1922, a Melbourne man called Fred Walker (who started the Fred Walker Company which eventually became Kraft Foods Limited in Australia) had the bright idea of using yeast extract left over from the manufacture of beer to create a wonderful source of vitamin B and a tasty new spread that every Australian will grow up with."

So I guess Will and DavidB will now vote for Vegemite over Marmite because it's made from beer! :cheers:

Feelingpink
21st-June-2005, 12:48 AM
and another little gem from the official vegemite web site about the naming of Vegemite ...

Vegemite almost didn’t survive in the early days because its arch rival Marmite was already well accepted by Australians... In fact, things got so bad that it was decided to relaunch Vegemite as “Parwill”. What? “If Marmite… then Parwill”. Get it? The name was tried in Queensland and no one there got it. So it was back to the name Vegemite. Awwww. Don't you just love Queenslanders! :clap:

KatieR
21st-June-2005, 10:40 AM
and another little gem from the official vegemite web site about the naming of Vegemite ...

Vegemite almost didn’t survive in the early days because its arch rival Marmite was already well accepted by Australians... In fact, things got so bad that it was decided to relaunch Vegemite as “Parwill”. What? “If Marmite… then Parwill”. Get it? The name was tried in Queensland and no one there got it. So it was back to the name Vegemite. Awwww. Don't you just love Queenslanders! :clap:

Yes that is very true... !

The Tim Tam Suck is when you make yourself a lovely cup o java (thats coffee) and then you take a tim tam of your choice.. i prefer the original but there are now tim tams in many different flavours.. double choc, dark choc, white choc, hazelnut, even some with chili or black forest tim tams.. the list is endless... you bite off one corner of the tim tam then you bite of the corner diagonally opposite the one you have just eaten.. then you have to suck the coffee through the tim tam like a straw.. then when the tim tam begins to melt and dissolve.. shove the whole thing in your mouth. :cheers:

Feelingpink
21st-June-2005, 10:51 AM
Yes that is very true... !

The Tim Tam Suck is when you make yourself a lovely cup o java (thats coffee) and then you take a tim tam of your choice.. i prefer the original but there are now tim tams in many different flavours.. double choc, dark choc, white choc, hazelnut, even some with chili or black forest tim tams.. the list is endless... you bite off one corner of the tim tam then you bite of the corner diagonally opposite the one you have just eaten.. then you have to suck the coffee through the tim tam like a straw.. then when the tim tam begins to melt and dissolve.. shove the whole thing in your mouth. :cheers:

... and if you're too slow, the entire biscuit ends up in the bottom of your coffee - not that it's happened to me, but others have fallen ...

Seahorse
24th-June-2005, 05:43 PM
drifted back in with the tide...

Been investigating means with which to subvert and corrupt said Vegihype! website... expect results with instigation of a 'taste' virus which will bring said wayward antipodeans to their senses...

Would add that like many of us who've experienced inferior copies... the reality is that you can't beat an original!

sorted!

JoC
24th-June-2005, 06:18 PM
May I also proffer the basic wholemeal toast, spread of your choice (olive for me) and marmite...with a layer of peanut butter on top. It's very very very good for you! :yum:

Tessalicious
28th-June-2005, 11:20 PM
I feel obliged to announce that I had my first Vegemite sample on Saturday courtesy of the lovely Aussies on MJC and am now a convert - but I already voted on the poll before I knew what I was missing :(
And to be honest, I can tell the difference but don't know what that difference is, if that makes any sense...