PDA

View Full Version : Hammersmith 11th June

Tessalicious
8th-June-2005, 09:02 AM
With the advent of Southport (wonderful for those going I'm sure) the London scene is looking to be just a tad empty this weekend, from what I can tell. Is anyone still going to be around to be at Hammersmith, or shall I (not being in possession of a golden ticket) give up, skulk off somewhere else, or even try to fill my weekend with something other than dancing?

Dizzy
8th-June-2005, 09:18 AM
Me being to poor to go to Southport, I'm going to Hammersmith on saturday.
I hope to meet you there!! :hug: :clap:

Purple Sparkler
8th-June-2005, 09:49 AM
With the advent of Southport (wonderful for those going I'm sure) the London scene is looking to be just a tad empty this weekend, from what I can tell. Is anyone still going to be around to be at Hammersmith, or shall I (not being in possession of a golden ticket) give up, skulk off somewhere else, or even try to fill my weekend with something other than dancing?

Oh hell yes, I'm going to be at Hammersmith! Premiering a provocative new dress, too. :D

Will
8th-June-2005, 10:29 AM
Hope to be there.

LMC
8th-June-2005, 10:58 AM
The Jive Aces are playing @ Amersham apparently, so I'm off there :nice:

bigdjiver
8th-June-2005, 11:07 AM
I suspect that "a tad empty" might not be the right phrase. For every one that ascends to Southport N+1 ascends to Hammersmith.

Just Wiggle
8th-June-2005, 11:10 AM
Blimey...does someone actually like the Jive Aces and would go to a venue based on them playing???

David Bailey
8th-June-2005, 11:23 AM
Blimey...does someone actually like the Jive Aces and would go to a venue based on them playing???
He's probably a closet Scientologist :)

The Jive Aces are apparently well-loved - but don't ask me, I'm not a big fan of live MJ music, goes on too long, I run out of new moves... :blush:

LMC
8th-June-2005, 11:26 AM

No idea whether I like 'em or not (I am but an egg) but someone I danced with last week recommended them (and he seemed normal :eek: ) plus Amersham is easy to get to for me so <shrug>

stewart38
8th-June-2005, 11:49 AM

In the last 25yrs , Ive only change my mind numerous times

However I think Jive aces are now good and if I wasnt going to Southport I'd be at Amersham :clap:

Barry Shnikov
10th-June-2005, 07:38 PM
Um...looks like I am going to Hammersmith.

Yippee.

No, really.

Stuart
10th-June-2005, 11:46 PM
I haven't decided yet. It might be Hammersmith or it might be Amersham. I have to set off in the same direction for both venues, so I might just decide on the night.

Clive Long
11th-June-2005, 01:11 AM
I'll break my normal Hammersmith-embargo and go, seeing as there might be a tad more space than usual (sorry, my Hammersmith gripes aren't very creative). However, the majority of better dancers will probably be having a whale of a time oop North so I'm expecting a rather "thin" night all round.

I'll do a bit of move-research on Jiveholic and Mr. Mather's sites and probably take the opportunity to practise (looked it up) a few, more interesting moves - compared against my usual repertoire.

Ho, hum.

Yep, JW. I don't get it either. Well, I bend the truth. I saw them once at Rivoli and thought they were electric. I now find them ... errrr.... pedestrian and limited.

Purple Sparkler
13th-June-2005, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to say:

I met Tessa on Saturday night and she certainly is Licious!

Hopefully you weren't too weirded out by the encounter, Tessa, and I'll see you for some lead-stealing freestyle at MJC!

Twas great to meet you (and your Mum!), and what a fun night it was generally.

Will
13th-June-2005, 10:55 AM
Hammersmith was always one of my very favourite venues.....

BUT now they are selling PIZZA as well!!!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Clive Long
13th-June-2005, 11:44 AM
Just wanted to say:

Hopefully you weren't too weirded out by the encounter, Tessa, and I'll see you for some lead-stealing freestyle at MJC!

Just about the right number of dancers there for me.

DJ: I had a go at a few on the "no row" - about 50% refusal rate. Moved about 5 metres from the stage - 100% acceptance, and 100% enjoyable dances. I'll continue to lurk at the back and enjoy myself - but of course next time H'smith will be flooded with people, moan, grumble, ...

Clive

Jooles
13th-June-2005, 12:28 PM
I too enjoyed the extra space at Hammersmith on Saturday. No refusals for me, even though there were a lot of extra girls.

Just wondered what others thought of the music?

I thought the DJ had an interesting way of playing his music. He kind of played it in chunks. So you'd find yourself dancing to quite a few 80's tunes followed by a string of swing tunes, followed by a bit of latin etc etc. It meant that if you liked a certain kind of music you thoroughly enjoyed yourself for quite a few tracks. Sadly, if you didn't like a kind of music, it seemed to go on and on and on.

It also meant that when it was time for the fast rock and roll tracks you were bl**dy exhausted before it changed to a slow one.

I really, really enjoyed his choice of music. There were some great tracks that I haven't danced to for ages, but it would have been nice to have them mixed up a bit.

Purple Sparkler
13th-June-2005, 12:40 PM
I liked the music, but then I think it helped that all my dance partners were awesome. Wonder if I danced with any forumites without my knowledge?

It was a shame not to have the class though. It's a good little ice-breaker.

Dizzy
13th-June-2005, 12:47 PM
Just wanted to say:

:yeah:
I met Tessa at Hammersmith and she is great dancer!! :worthy:

I had a great time on saturday and thought the music was great - there some classic tunes from the early 90's that I hadn't heard in years!! :clap:

Had some great dances too - Thanks to all the guys I danced with!! :grin:

bigdjiver
13th-June-2005, 01:15 PM
... I thought the DJ had an interesting way of playing his music. He kind of played it in chunks. So you'd find yourself dancing to quite a few 80's tunes followed by a string of swing tunes, followed by a bit of latin etc etc. It meant that if you liked a certain kind of music you thoroughly enjoyed yourself for quite a few tracks. Sadly, if you didn't like a kind of music, it seemed to go on and on and on...A DJ friend of mine advocates playing a following track of similar genre or tempo, so that there is a continuous connection throughout the night.

David Bailey
13th-June-2005, 03:29 PM
I thought the DJ had an interesting way of playing his music. He kind of played it in chunks. So you'd find yourself dancing to quite a few 80's tunes followed by a string of swing tunes, followed by a bit of latin etc etc. It meant that if you liked a certain kind of music you thoroughly enjoyed yourself for quite a few tracks.
A few DJs do this - I like that approach myself, it means you can get into a particular style for more than 3 minutes, maybe experiment with a particular combination, etc. And you can spend more than 3 minutes resting / chatting / getting a drink etc. Like all these things, it can be taken to extremes, but 3-4 tracks of the same genre seems about right to me.

Sadly, if you didn't like a kind of music, it seemed to go on and on and on.
Well, in Hammersmith, as I recall, you'd need several tracks of time just to get served at the bar :whistle: