PDA

View Full Version : Non-MJ dancers at MJ venues?

Sparkles
7th-June-2005, 02:56 PM
I was just wondering, what do people think of couples that take to the floor at MJ venues and dance but don't do ceroc/modern jive?

With the introduction of nosequins and the like is it becoming more acceptable for people to do (for example) ballroom, latin, salsa etc which may have a 'conflicting style' (have deliberately ignored things like lindy, hustle and WCS but they can be included of people wish) at MJ venues or do people find it annoying/unacceptable?
I'd be interested to hear your opinions with some explanation.

Similarly, what do people who go to ballroom/salsa etc venues think of people that attend and do MJ instead?

S. x

mick
7th-June-2005, 03:13 PM
I was just wondering, what do people think of couples that take to the floor at MJ venues and dance but don't do ceroc/modern jive?

is it acceptable for people to do things like lindy, hustle and WCS at MJ venues or do people find it annoying/unacceptable?

S. x

From what I have seen, Lindy has too small a following to have big regular dances, so the lindy hoppers try to infiltrate mj by requesting swing type music, even if it is only "Beyond The Sea" variety. Personally, I think it looks ridiculous.
You'd have to have rubber legs to salsa to mj music.

David Bailey
7th-June-2005, 03:23 PM
You'd have to have rubber legs to salsa to mj music.
Weeelll... there are some tracks that are both Latin (salsa / rumba / cha-cha)-able, and MJ-able - such as, obviously, Mambo No. 5, and Santana's Smooth.

For example, last night In the middle of a (truly awesome) set at Finchley, I happened to notice a certain person doing some serious cha-cha on the dance floor. Another example; Susie and hubbie did an awe-inspiringly good tango at the Big Fat Friday whatsit last week, I didn't see anyone complaining then. Clapping, yes; bowing down, indeed (that was me :) ), but certainly not complaining.

My view is, as long as it doesn't take up excessive space, you should dance any way you damned well want to. Having said that, some ballroom dances do take up space, so if you're going to do them, you need to take extra care over your space management skills.

Similarly, what do people who go to ballroom/salsa etc venues think of people that attend and do MJ instead?
I'm not sure if I've ever seen this... It would, I think, look very very strange. MJ can absorb anything, that's it's strength. Latin, ballroom, etc. - not so much...

El Salsero Gringo
7th-June-2005, 03:23 PM
From what I have seen, Lindy has too small a following to have big regular dancesThat's right - and when one of them has taken the Lindy CD home, the other one has nothing to dance to!

Rhythm King
7th-June-2005, 04:00 PM
That's right - and when one of them has taken the Lindy CD home, the other one has nothing to dance to!

I seem to remember you enjoying a predominantly Lindy event, and dancing MJ and ballroom at it to boot, only as recently as last Saturday night. An event for which nearly 1000 tickets were sold BTW :whistle:

(May be persuaded to post photos, for a small fee :devil: )

El Salsero Gringo
7th-June-2005, 04:02 PM
I seem to remember you enjoying a predominantly Lindy event, and dancing MJ and ballroom at it to boot, only as recently as last Saturday night. An event for which nearly 1000 tickets were sold BTW :whistle:

(May be persuaded to post photos, for a small fee :devil: )You're quite right - I had a great time Cerocing to all those Lindy numbers. (Actually I'm jealous of people who can Lindy well, because I can't!)

What kind of fee are we talking about, for the photos?

Tessalicious
7th-June-2005, 04:02 PM
(May be persuaded to post photos, for a small fee :devil: )
Don't you dare! :what:

Trousers
7th-June-2005, 04:08 PM
At the end of the day - they'll have paid their money and as far as I'm concerned they could pogo all night - may even join in for a few.

Dance is dance, We are dancers, Hell what have the Masons got that we haven't ? We even have a silly hand shake (draw a small semicircle to the left and step back)

Lets just let everyone play?

Tessalicious
7th-June-2005, 04:11 PM
Back on thread though, it was common practice at the beginning for 'Squins', and still is sometimes, for MJ to be going on in the middle of the dance floor when Bobgadget put on a fast enough foxtrot track. This can be ok towards the end of the evening, when the floor is clearing as people go home, but can be a real pain earlier on when the floor is packed, since those dancers who are trying to actually dance the foxtrot (which is after all why we're there in the first place, to do ballroom, right?) have to work even harder to achieve 'floorcraft' (otherwise known as not crashing/treading on people).

Oh, and hands up as one guilty of practising cha-cha (and for that matter foxtrot) at a Ceroc night :blush:

yes I know I'm a hypocrite

David Bailey
7th-June-2005, 04:25 PM
Oh, and hands up as one guilty of practising cha-cha (and for that matter foxtrot) at a Ceroc night :blush:
Hey, as long as it's done well... :)

I've absolutely no problem with anyone dancing anything to any track - but cha-cha does (I think) need more space, so yep, you'd need more attention-to-crashing-into-people, or just don't do it if the place is too crowded.

Salsa can be (and is) done in much more crowded venues than the average MJ venue, so I don't think that'd be a problem. Although some of this new-fangled cross-body leading stuff does eat up the space.

Given these constraints, I actually like seeing people do different dance styles in MJ, it's nice to see.

But I still think MJ-ing at a ballroom / latin venue is a bit, well, weird...

Sheepman
7th-June-2005, 04:30 PM
I say you've paid your money, do what you like on the floor :eek: as long as it doesn't interfere with others enjoyment.

The trouble is, I think it often will interfere, because, (perhaps excluding cha cha and samba,) if you're circulating around a busy room, there are always going to be MJers who have to take avoiding action.

If there is plenty of space, then I don't see any problem.

Greg

El Salsero Gringo
7th-June-2005, 04:42 PM
I say you've paid your money, do what you like on the floor :eek: as long as it doesn't interfere with others enjoyment.

The trouble is, I think it often will interfere, because, (perhaps excluding cha cha and samba,) if you're circulating around a busy room, there are always going to be MJers who have to take avoiding action.

If there is plenty of space, then I don't see any problem.

GregInteresting Factoid: Samba is a progressive (around the room in an anticlockwise direction) dance like a Quickstep or Foxtrot but Cha Cha isn't.

Mr Cool
7th-June-2005, 07:02 PM

With the introduction of nosequins and the like is it becoming more acceptable for people to do (for example) ballroom, latin, salsa etc which may have a 'conflicting style' (have deliberately ignored things like lindy, hustle and WCS but they can be included of people wish) at MJ venues or do people find it annoying/unacceptable?

S. x

The beauty of MJ is anything goes, I like to lead some Smooth Swing, Wcs, Balboa, Jazz steps and Blues at MJ events and anything else that fits the music. Why restrict yourself if it feels right do it. The music is KING, lets have a variety of good music. Listen to it move with it make her smile.
:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

spindr
7th-June-2005, 11:41 PM
To be honest there's nothing wrong with dancing the correct dance to the music -- e.g. a merengue to a merengue (like TwK played at Twyford), a quickstep to a quickstep, etc.

However, I think that if you're dancing a progressive dance amongst a mostly static set of dancers you should be prepared to avoid them. Similarly, if you are a static dancer amongst a large group of progressive dancers, then you should position yourself well away from the normal line of dance.

Similarly, if you're dancing something slightly out of the normal, then you should keep any "unexpected" movements small -- e.g. keeping a Lindy charleston small to avoid "confusing" modern jivers, etc.

And of course normal floorcraft should apply -- styling arms in a cha-cha to take them "up" rather than "out" when conditions are crowded.

SpinDr.

David Bailey
8th-June-2005, 10:15 AM
To be honest there's nothing wrong with dancing the correct dance to the music -- e.g. a merengue to a merengue (like TwK played at Twyford), a quickstep to a quickstep, etc.
:yeah: to all that.

I don't believe anyone really watches "the whole floor" to judge the aesthetic merits of the group; if some are doing MJ, some are doing Latin, some are doing something else, who cares?

Where I am, I've definitely noticed more Latin-style dancing over the past years to Latin-style tracks - but this is a Good Thing in my opinion, and should be encouraged,

Obviously, any and all Swing dancing should be discouraged, however :whistle:

MartinHarper
8th-June-2005, 10:30 AM
If you're dancing something slightly out of the normal, then you should keep any "unexpected" movements small

Also need to look around more, as most MJ folks (eg) won't stay out of slots.

Sparkles
8th-June-2005, 11:17 AM
Similarly, if you're dancing something slightly out of the normal, then you should keep any "unexpected" movements small

This is one of the things that I expected to cause problems - or at least the opposite is.
What I mean by this is that (for example) ballroom dancing is much more 'structured' than MJ. Set movements go in set patterns on the floor and it's quite difficult to disrupt those patterns (it is possible, but it's difficult) so whereas MJ dancers can swap and change what they're doing to make floorcraft easier, ballroom dancers will find this much more difficult - and this is especially true if they're dancing a routien rather than freestyling their ballroom dance.
So ballroom dances are much more predictable in that (eg) if you are dancing a cha cha basic, it'll always be a cha cha basic and look like a cha cha basic and follow that pattern on the floor - whereas a (eg) first move can have many variations and can twist, turn, have different endings etc and therefore is much more versitile and so collisions from this move could be more easily avoided.

So I guess what I'm asking is: should MJ dancers at an MJ venue give people doing things such as ballroom the space they need to complete their moves safely or should people doing dancing patterns that take up more room than those the majority of the people at the venue are doing give up their patterns and stop doing thier alternative dance forms at MJ venues?

David Bailey
8th-June-2005, 11:31 AM
So I guess what I'm asking is: should MJ dancers at an MJ venue give people doing things such as ballroom the space they need to complete their moves safely
Good question - sorry, but I'd say no. It's not reasonable to expect all other dancers around you to understand your routine, predict where you're going in advance, and get out of the way. Floorcraft in a crowded venue is, as you say, very much an instantaneous affair - you see someone in the way, and you alter your move very quickly to avoid crash-age.

It's also not realistic to expect other MJ dancers to open up a big circle / slot of space for you to dance in. They've paid as much as you, they have as much right to the floor space as you.

or should people doing dancing patterns that take up more room than those the majority of the people at the venue are doing give up their patterns and stop doing thier alternative dance forms at MJ venues?
Hmmm, I hope not, it's lovely to watch.

I'd rather say that these dancers should be even more aware of floorcraft than normal MJ dancers, because of the increased space requirements. In other words, use similar criteria as those that apply to aerials, drops, Columbian first moves, etc. All of those require more space, but I don't believe those should be banned.

Just be aware of what you're doing, and where you're doing it. But please, do keep on doing it :flower:

spindr
8th-June-2005, 12:17 PM
What I mean by this is that (for example) ballroom dancing is much more 'structured' than MJ. Set movements go in set patterns on the floor and it's quite difficult to disrupt those patterns (it is possible, but it's difficult) so whereas MJ dancers can swap and change what they're doing to make floorcraft easier, ballroom dancers will find this much more difficult - and this is especially true if they're dancing a routien rather than freestyling their ballroom dance.

This is both true and of course completely false :)

Just because you only know a routine for a dance doesn't give you the right to dance that routine in freestyle. You still have to have floorcraft. If there is no space to move (in a progressive dance) you stop. If you can, you dance on the spot, e.g. in a box-step. There's no reason to treat a non-MJ's any differently than MJ's at an MJ event. I've been known to do salsa, merengue, cha-cha's, social foxtrot, argentine tango and even the occasional quickstep at MJ events -- sometimes even in the same dance :)

Obviously, at a non-MJ event -- especially one where there are beginners, then you should give them more lattitude.

So ballroom dances are much more predictable in that (eg) if you are dancing a cha cha basic, it'll always be a cha cha basic and look like a cha cha basic and follow that pattern on the floor - whereas a (eg) first move can have many variations and can twist, turn, have different endings etc and therefore is much more versitile and so collisions from this move could be more easily avoided.

Actually, I find "walters" hardest to predict -- I can never tell if they are about to zig, or zag until I've been watching them for a while :)

Any decent social leader should be able to "turn" a basic, so that it "fits" on the floor better -- and be able to lead the follower to take small steps.

So I guess what I'm asking is: should MJ dancers at an MJ venue give people doing things such as ballroom the space they need to complete their moves safely or should people doing dancing patterns that take up more room than those the majority of the people at the venue are doing give up their patterns and stop doing thier alternative dance forms at MJ venues?

All dancers should try and give others enough room for their dancing.
All dancers should try and fit in to the space available.
All dancers have equal rights to space on the dance floor.

A few other thoughts. (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/floor_craft.html#dealing_with_other_dance_styles)

SpinDr.

P.S. For the record, I think "enthusiastic" MJ's tend to take up the most space of all dancers that I have seen socially -- especially if I have to add an extra safety cordon to deal with their jumps, dips, drops, etc.

DavidB
8th-June-2005, 12:34 PM
If you go to a dance that is advertised as a particular type (eg Modern Jive, Ballroom, Lindy, WCS, Salsa) etc, it is a perfectly acceptable assumption that everyone will do that dance.
If you choose to do something different to what is advertised, then it is your responsibility to respect the space of others, and not their responsibility to give you the space.

The biggest problem is when you get a stationary dance and a progressive dance. So if you go to a MJ venue and want to do a foxtrot, you can't expect people to get out of your way. But at a ballroom dance you shouldn't do MJ just anywhere and expect people to go round you.

Less of a problem is two different stationary dances. But it is still possible to get arguments about MJ and WCS on the same floor :blush:

I know two times there is always a compromise.
At ballroom dances, it is almost always possible to do a jive to a quickstep. On a large floor the jivers usually go to the centre, and people quickstep around them. On a smaller floor you wait to see which end of the floor someone else jives, and dance next to them!
I think you get a similar compromise with line-dancers and two-steppers at C&W events.

David

DavidY
8th-June-2005, 12:43 PM
I think you get a similar compromise with line-dancers and two-steppers at C&W events.I've a suspicion that the line dancing /country dancing folks have already sorted this problem and devised a convention. I'm sure I've seen websites that refer to it somewhere. I think basically the folk dancing non-progressively stay in the middle and the others move round the outside (although I think there's more to it than just that).

Sparkles
8th-June-2005, 02:54 PM
OK, until now I've tried not to put my own opinion on this down, mainly because I wanted to be sure what I said was what I really thought. But here goes...

If you go to a dance that is advertised as a particular type (eg Modern Jive, Ballroom, Lindy, WCS, Salsa) etc, it is a perfectly acceptable assumption that everyone will do that dance.
If you choose to do something different to what is advertised, then it is your responsibility to respect the space of others, and not their responsibility to give you the space.

:yeah:
I completely agree with this and think that this should be the rule of thumb. I also think that people that are inconsiderate of others' floor space when they are doing a dance different to that 'expected' at a venue should be prepared to endure the wrath of the other dancers, just as any inconsiderate dancer doing the expected dance form would (Sparkles hurries on with her thoughts before she sets Chris A off on one again :flower: ). Just because your dance style is different doesn't mean you automatically have more right to the floor!

I know two times there is always a compromise.
At ballroom dances, it is almost always possible to do a jive to a quickstep. On a large floor the jivers usually go to the centre, and people quickstep around them. On a smaller floor you wait to see which end of the floor someone else jives, and dance next to them!
I think you get a similar compromise with line-dancers and two-steppers at C&W events.

Having said all the above, there is nothing I find more irritating at ballroom dancing venues than people who decide to jive, MJ or ceroc to a quickstep! :mad:
Quickstep is a very fast dance that covers a great deal of distance and uses (contrary to belief in the MJ world) not only the sides of the floor, but the corners and, yes, even the space in the middle. It's much safer for those dancing quickstep that all the people on the floor should be dancing progressively and (in general) in the same direction. Imagine putting a parked car in the middle of a fast-moving motorway and the havoc it would cause!

As someone who has danced at both MJ and ballroom venues and has also experimented with doing various different dance styles at each I have to say that personally I feel quite uncomfortable doing a style different to the one expected at any dance venue. The only time I will attempt it is if there's plenty of space (so that I can be sure I will not get in anyone's way) and if the alternative style I'm choosing does not conflict too drastically with what everyone else is doing.

It's a difficult one to call because I would not want to repress anyone wanting to express themselves through dance, but a little bit of thought and consideration can go a long way...

S. x

Dance Demon
8th-June-2005, 06:15 PM
At the ballroom night that we go to, there is a sign that tells dancers that they can only dance the dance that accompanies the music being played. Only time MJ would possibly be accepted is if the music being played was for a jive. At a MJ night, if anyone wanted to dance ballroom to a particular piece of music, it should be up to them to make sure that they don't collide with anyone else. Re different styles of Jive, I've seen it on a busy floor where a couple are doing WCS,which is a slot dance, and a couple doing MJ, which is a circular dance, invading the WCS couples space. However this happens all the time even if everyone is dancing MJ. I think that it's all down to being considerate to our dfellow dancers, regardless of what style you are dancing.

Clive Long
8th-June-2005, 06:23 PM

<< and all the rest >>
David
:yeah:

Seems spot on to me Mr DB. (for what that's worth)

Clive

DangerousCurves
8th-June-2005, 08:07 PM
I've seen Jive at Salsa venues, and vice versa, and would personally agree with the prevailing mood of the debate - namely diversity is good, and fun and to be encouraged, provided that those doing something "out of the norm" practice some discretion and floor craft to avoid causing problems to the general mass of dancers.

However, I do sometimes find my "liberal" inclusionist views a bit challenged on dance nights when large groups of folks "boogie" in a big ring with a space at the centre taking up a lot of dance floor, as though in a night club. It hasn't happened often, and I'm not sure why I don't embrace the "boogiers" emotionally as I would, say, a number of salsa dancers taking to the floor on a MJ night... Any views?

Ballroom queen
8th-June-2005, 08:38 PM
Having read (fairly quickly) this thread - its all dance and we should live and let live, however, I would never try a foxtrot / quickstep at a MJ venue unless there was significant space - and there rarely is, however at a ballroom venue - ie nosequins if a foxtrot / quickstep etc is played that should be the main dance. If people wish to MJ thats fine, and the etiquette is to be in the centre of the room, but as for all dancers, they - and people going around the outside, should look around and have some floor craft and avoid people. (But then they should do that on the crowded MJ floor, and often they don't..) This is why Hannes and Amy teach Ballroom and Latin figures to join together and not routines, and steps that with practice / practise and experience allow you to take avoiding action - the step we did yesterday in quickstep is one such move allowing the couple to change direction. But it takes time to learn to do that with ballroom figures.

What IMHO is not acceptable is doing the wrong dance to the music being played - last night I saw two couples quickstep to foxtrot music, and someone said they had MJ'ed to a waltz - personally I think that is impossible (light blue touch paper and run...)

David Bailey
8th-June-2005, 08:49 PM
someone said they had MJ'ed to a waltz - personally I think that is impossible (light blue touch paper and run...)
I was wondering about that one myself - of course, he didn't say how well he'd MJ-d to a waltz... :whistle: :grin:

mick
9th-June-2005, 03:55 PM
So I guess what I'm asking is: should MJ dancers at an MJ venue give people doing things such as ballroom the space they need to complete their moves ?

If anybody wants to dance ballroom, salsa or anything else, why come to ceroc except perhaps to show off (of course they actually look like idiots). Merengue is an exception as it is so close to mj.

stewart38
9th-June-2005, 03:59 PM
If anybody wants to dance ballroom, salsa or anything else, why come to ceroc except perhaps to show off (of course they actually look like idiots). Merengue is an exception as it is so close to mj.

Agree. Its not live and let live

well apart from Salsa I might pop into a bit of Jive but only in darken corner

DavidB
9th-June-2005, 04:30 PM
someone said they had MJ'ed to a waltzIt can be done - especially to a viennese waltz. Each movement takes 3 beats instead of 2. Count the music as 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 etc, and then finish each movement on the '1'. Lots of people do this in the Waltz part of 'Round Round' by the Sugababes.

You can also do WCS to regular Waltz music - stick to 6 count patterns and just dance on every beat. This is actually taught by some advanced teachers when looking at musical structure.

David

David Bailey
9th-June-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, maybe because it's nice to dance something different for a while, as those styles enforce some discipline, and may generally look and feel interesting and different?

For example, there are a lot of cha-cha-able tracks played at my local MJ venues, tracks which, you know, are cha-chas. So it's not unreasonable, to dance cha-cha to a cha-cha...

As for showing off, well, yes. But don't we all? Mainly, I'd hope, in a constuctive and good way. :grin:

Tessalicious
9th-June-2005, 07:19 PM
It can be done - especially to a viennese waltz. Each movement takes 3 beats instead of 2. Count the music as 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 etc, and then finish each movement on the '1'. Lots of people do this in the Waltz part of 'Round Round' by the Sugababes.

You can also do WCS to regular Waltz music - stick to 6 count patterns and just dance on every beat. This is actually taught by some advanced teachers when looking at musical structure.

David
Very cool - I think this is definitely one I have to try (although obviously in the seclusion of my own home so as not to offend anyone who disapproves :blush: ). Thanks for the tip!

Ballroom queen
9th-June-2005, 11:41 PM
Agree. Its not live and let live

I knew there was a reason why I stopped going to ceroc venues - until nosequins came along.

Its all bloody dance for gods sake :tears: :tears:

frodo
10th-June-2005, 12:22 AM
If anybody wants to dance ballroom, salsa or anything else, why come to ceroc except perhaps to show off (of course they actually look like idiots) ...
It might have something to do with the number of available accessible events.

Though they may look like idiots, they might be dancing that way because they'd look even worse doing Modern Jive.

I think relative lack of familiarity is a good reason ( in both directions). It can be hard being a beginner / concentrating hard the entire evening, especially if certain songs being played scream for another style.

mick
10th-June-2005, 11:14 AM
It can be done -(ie dance waltz in 4/4 time) especially to a viennese waltz. Each movement takes 3 beats instead of 2. Count the music as 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 etc, and then finish each movement on the '1'.

Eh? I guess old Jo Strauss must've got it all rong.

mick
10th-June-2005, 11:45 AM
I knew there was a reason why I stopped going to ceroc venues - until nosequins came along.

Its all bloody dance for gods sake :tears: :tears:

ps excuse my ignorance, but what are nosequins?
On second thoughts, don't bother. I'm off for a jog on the beach.

Ballroom queen
10th-June-2005, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=mick]ps excuse my ignorance, but what are nosequins?
QUOTE]

strictly no sequins, the Ceroc answer to a lack of decent ballroom and latin nights, at Cricklewood, London, Tuesdays. www.strictlynosequins.com

DavidB
10th-June-2005, 10:44 PM
Eh? I guess old Jo Strauss must've got it all rong.Sorry Mick. I'll try to explain it in Whitley Bay terms.

Count a waltz as 'Call On Me Call On Me Call On Me Call On Me', and finish each movement when you say Call.

Does that help?

(PS I never said there was any point doing MJ to a waltz - just that it could be done.)

Ballroom queen
10th-June-2005, 10:57 PM
Count a waltz as 'Call On Me Call On Me Call On Me Call On Me', and finish each movement when you say Call.

Does that help?

no :tears:

mick
13th-June-2005, 02:00 PM
Sorry Mick. I'll try to explain it in Whitley Bay terms.

Does that help?

(PS I never said there was any point doing MJ to a waltz - just that it could be done.)

It is absurd to think it possible to waltz in mj. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Remember, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

clevedonboy
13th-June-2005, 03:32 PM

... and the highest form of intellect
... and is the humour of The Gods (appropriate for The Oracle)
... But it's still wit

David Bailey
13th-June-2005, 03:34 PM
It is absurd to think it possible to waltz in mj. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Hey - I thought it was funny :)

But seriously, some pop tracks are to a waltz-ish beat, aren't they? I vaguely recall something - was it Samantha Mumba's "Body to Body"? Certainly, "ashes to ashes" sounds waltz-y to my untrained ear...

So you could argue that waltzing to those types of track is more in line with the music than MJ-ing to them... :whistle:

MartinHarper
14th-June-2005, 03:32 PM
...when large groups of folks "boogie" in a big ring with a space at the centre taking up a lot of dance floor, as though in a night club... Any views?

I believe it's traditional for some guy to use the space in the middle of the ring to see if he can get his partner into geostationary orbit...

spindr
19th-June-2005, 08:22 PM
Don't know it it's any use to the Nosequins crowd and others -- if you're interested in a MJ dance where you might be able to dance some non-MJ dances -- there's a 1940's dance at Greenham Common on July 2nd that's likely to be rather good (from previous experience).

Drop me a PM if you're interested in details.

SpinDr.

MouthoftheSouth
19th-June-2005, 11:54 PM
There are, or have been, pop songs to waltz beats - I was listening to somethign by OMD the other day and realised it was a fast waltz - Viennese rather than modern, and another track by a local blues band the same.

I've done ballroom at ceroc dances - space depending of course, and we often have mixed dances here - the stationary dancers head to the middle (mj, lh, rnr mostly) and leave the outside track for the ballroomers.

It has worked on very small dancefloors - maybe 10m per side - but it does require some discipline - mainly for people to realise that the dance floor is CROWDED and they should NOT get up to make it even more so!!

cerocmetro
20th-June-2005, 06:06 AM
I've done ballroom at ceroc dances -

With or without returns :rofl:

MouthoftheSouth
20th-June-2005, 10:52 PM
With or without returns :rofl:
I always seem to return to ballroom :na: :na: :cheers: :yum: :drool: