PDA

View Full Version : Moves From Hell (and why)

David Bailey
7th-June-2005, 11:39 AM
Inspired by the Room 101 (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5499&highlight=room+101) thread...

I'll start you off:
1. Archie Spin:
Why? Because, despite all my efforts, trying to lead a woman by placing her palm up in the Official Manner, then twisting, it just didn't work for me, ever, in the class and especially in freestyle. It's awkward, it could be dangerous with the arm-twisting and speed involved, and it just can't be done in the approved manner.

It should be consigned to the seventh level of hell from whence it came.

The Rules:
First Rule: Only 1 move allowed to be hated at a time.
Second Rule: Give a good reason (no "because it's naff / pants / tacky" allowed, that's just your opinion, others may disagree)
Third Rule: You DO NOT talk about the Moves-from-Hell club.
OK, that last one's more of a guideline than yer actual rule...

Anyone else?

Danielle
7th-June-2005, 11:48 AM
thats easy, not sure what its called but its the move where the woman ends up with both hands held behind her back and is facing the man.

Its my most hated move cos firstly hardly any guys can lead it properly and its turns into a slight wrestling match sometimes, arms get twisted, very painful :angry:

Its quite close move, which i never usually have a problem with cos if i'm not comfortable with the guy doing a close move they are generally easily avoided by a gentle push away. This move doesn't allow you do that!!

You are well and truely trapped, hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!

Msfab
7th-June-2005, 11:54 AM
thats easy, not sure what its called but its the move where the woman ends up with both hands held behind her back and is facing the man.

Its my most hated move cos firstly hardly any guys can lead it properly and its turns into a slight wrestling match sometimes, arms get twisted, very painful :angry:

Its quite close move, which i never usually have a problem with cos if i'm not comfortable with the guy doing a close move they are generally easily avoided by a gentle push away. This move doesn't allow you do that!!

Danielle, something ive only ever tried once (accidentally of course :innocent: ) was the gentle head butt! That soon got me untied! :whistle:

Tessalicious
7th-June-2005, 11:54 AM
That would be David's favourite move, the straightjacket... :whistle:
For me it would have to be that version of the 'backhander' which starts off really fast and brings the lady to a sudden stop before she has expended all her momentum - now I know its my fault because my balance is atrocious, but that move seems designed to make even the best dancer wobble on her feet.

Daisy Chain
7th-June-2005, 11:55 AM
That move that finishes with the lady sitting on the man's knee. I can never make it look anything but stupendously naff.

OH, and not forgetting any move that musses up my hair

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Daisy

(A Standing Flower)

Northants Girly
7th-June-2005, 11:57 AM
Moves that involve your hands touching the guy's chest :sad:
(Sorry - don't know move names - but this can be done following a comb for example)

I feel really uncomfortable doing this especially with folk I don't know . . . . but there are always exceptions to the rule :whistle:

Danielle
7th-June-2005, 11:58 AM
Danielle, something ive only ever tried once (accidentally of course :innocent: ) was the gentle head butt! That soon got me untied! :whistle:

:rofl: now you're putting ideas in my head :whistle:

Sparkles
7th-June-2005, 12:05 PM
Any move that involves the lady ducking (yes that's Ducking Simon R :rolleyes: ) under the guy's arm. I never know they're coming, there doesn't seem to be a proper lead or signal for them and yet once committed the guy is always intent on going through with it - to the extent that I nearly get my head knocked off my shoulders :angry:.
Just can't, don't and won't do them!
S. x

LMC
7th-June-2005, 12:05 PM
That Columbian walky-thingy-whatsit. Because it's impossible to follow if your lead hasn't got a clue!

Just Wiggle
7th-June-2005, 12:06 PM
Not quite sure the name of the move.... but its a Manhattan variation where your arm somehow gets place behind your neck. It is very uncomfortable and has sent me on numerous occasions a little boss-eyed!

Also the Clock....always end up standing there like a lemon while the guy faffs about!

Andreas
7th-June-2005, 12:19 PM
Inspired by the Room 101 (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5499&highlight=room+101) thread...

I'll start you off:
1. Archie Spin:
Why? Because, despite all my efforts, trying to lead a woman by placing her palm up in the Official Manner, then twisting, it just didn't work for me, ever, in the class and especially in freestyle. It's awkward, it could be dangerous with the arm-twisting and speed involved, and it just can't be done in the approved manner.

The Rules:
Second Rule: Give a good reason (no "because it's naff / pants / tacky" allowed, that's just your opinion, others may disagree)

Anyone else?

You are doing it all wrong
:whistle: :wink:

The Archie spins are easy to lead. Don't get stuck with trying to get the thumb on top of the ladies hand. Yes, it makes it easier but is far from being essential. All you need to do is bringing YOURSELF into the right position: Have you ever seen Nu Vogue dance? It is kind of a sophisticated version of old time. They have the right movement for it, just over-exaggerated. Essentially, get a reasonably straight arm for both of you, shoulder to shoulder. For as long as your shoulders are close you don't even need to sweep very far and can start the move from 'hanging arms'. Should your lady be reluctant to get going give her a gentle nudge with either your spare hand or your shoulder ;)

This move is not from hell, it is greeat :na:

Andreas
7th-June-2005, 12:23 PM
For me it would have to be that version of the 'backhander' which starts off really fast and brings the lady to a sudden stop before she has expended all her momentum - now I know its my fault because my balance is atrocious, but that move seems designed to make even the best dancer wobble on her feet.

Noble motion to take the blame but it is not only your fault. If the guy does not pull the hand down in the second phase you will have no chance but get off balance, wreck your shoulder and start shouting. :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
7th-June-2005, 12:25 PM
I hate the "in-and-out". It's not my opinion that it's naff - it actually *is* naff. Unless you end it in a chest-bounce, of course.

I like leading the Straight Jacket, but I alway regret having done it because I end with my partner about six inches from my nose wondering what on earth to do with her next. Suggestions appreciated.

drathzel
7th-June-2005, 12:25 PM

I'll start you off:
1. Archie Spin:

I have to agree...... as i am a lot shorter than most male dancers and have nearly had my shoulder dragged out of its socket. Altho i have been led into this move by Aleks who is round about the same height as me and a fab lead and i liked it then!

Msfab
7th-June-2005, 12:26 PM
You are doing it all wrong
:whistle: :wink:

The Archie spins are easy to lead. Don't get stuck with trying to get the thumb on top of the ladies hand. Yes, it makes it easier but is far from being essential. All you need to do is bringing YOURSELF into the right position: Have you ever seen Nu Vogue dance? It is kind of a sophisticated version of old time. They have the right movement for it, just over-exaggerated. Essentially, get a reasonably straight arm for both of you, shoulder to shoulder. For as long as your shoulders are close you don't even need to sweep very far and can start the move from 'hanging arms'. Should your lady be reluctant to get going give her a gentle nudge with either your spare hand or your shoulder ;)

This move is not from hell, it is greeat :na:

I too love this move if its done correctly! :na: There are very few guys (leads) out there that also lead me straight into another turn! WOW! :clap:

Piglet
7th-June-2005, 12:27 PM
Also the Clock....always end up standing there like a lemon while the guy faffs about!

What's the clock? Sounds interesting - and my head is just full of Joseph and Sadie's pendulum... Pray tell...

The only move that I can think of that is YUK is the one where the man is holding both of the ladies hands and has one behind his head and the other behind the ladies head in a double comb fashion. He drops one hand in front for the lady to drop her hand into and then does the same with the other. Although I feel uncomfortable with this move with some men I can do it with others and the yuck effect isn't there?

Sorry I have probably broken all the rules for this thread, so will go now with curly tail between my legs...

Doc Iain
7th-June-2005, 12:28 PM

Well I had better not do it on Wed then!
It comes from a double handed yoyo or a secret...

Msfab
7th-June-2005, 12:40 PM
I like leading the Straight Jacket, but I alway regret having done it because I end with my partner about six inches from my nose wondering what on earth to do with her next. Suggestions appreciated.

How about wispering sweet nothings into her ear! :whistle:
or could give them an interesting fact! :rolleyes:
or just apologize for getting her into that position in the first place!

Danielle
7th-June-2005, 01:03 PM
Well I had better not do it on Wed then!
It comes from a double handed yoyo or a secret...

If i see you teaching that with George tomo will not be impressed!!!!!! you will be stuck dancing with me all night as i won't want to dance with the class..........

.......and you know i'd get you back on the dance floor :devil: (i've learnt lots of lovely sabotage moves lately!!! :D ) :rofl: :rofl:

Danielle
7th-June-2005, 01:06 PM
or just apologize for getting her into that position in the first place!

I'd go for the apologies, but ESG you could always tell me more about your velcro fetish, am still intrigued!!!!! :whistle:

Lory
7th-June-2005, 01:27 PM
Any move that involves the lady ducking (yes that's Ducking Simon R :rolleyes: ) under the guy's arm.
:yeah: I hate that move too, is it called something like the 'backwards tunnel'? (Adam and Rebecca did it in their Hustle routine in SDF ) I call it the 'being dragged thorough the hedge backwards' move! T
The trouble is, I never suspect it and always end up with the guy giving me a shove! :angry:

The other one, is the continuous Windmill thingy (where the man keeps swapping hands behind his back) the reason being, I never know if he's going to do 2, 4, 6 or even 8, :confused: so I hesitate between each one, which makes it feel naff! I suppose if I 'knew' how many he was intending to do, say 4, before we started, it wouldn't be too bad! ;)

Donna
7th-June-2005, 01:34 PM
Moves that involve your hands touching the guy's chest :sad:
(Sorry - don't know move names - but this can be done following a comb for example)

I feel really uncomfortable doing this especially with folk I don't know . . . . but there are always exceptions to the rule :whistle:

I can't stand the comb....especially when the man has a very sweaty neck!!! It just slips of!! Minging! :drool: HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! :angry:

El Salsero Gringo
7th-June-2005, 01:37 PM
I'd go for the apologies, but ESG you could always tell me more about your velcro fetish, am still intrigued!!!!! :whistle:The velcro is just a means to an end...

How about wispering sweet nothings into her ear!
or could give them an interesting fact!
or just apologize for getting her into that position in the first place!Um, yes, I think if I started with 'interesting facts' I'd get a nickname as Interesting Fact Man, and no one would dance with me, ever. Perhaps I'll just settle for nibbling her ear.

El Salsero Gringo
7th-June-2005, 01:38 PM
This is such a *whingy* *whiney* thread - couldn't we talk about moves that we actually like for a bit? I feel my Karma draining away.

PeteK
7th-June-2005, 01:41 PM
Funny - I quite like the Archie Spin, although I notice very few people dance it down here in the South; I used to dance in Chester and almost everyone did it there - no idea why it's different here/there?

Anyways, not sure what my least favourite move is called (I usually forget the names since unlikely to attempt them in freestyle), but it involves a double handed move which wraps & unwraps the lady in both arms while spinning - taught at the JB once a while ago - ??Millers Mess or something like that??). When practising it in the class it seemed to involve rotating either my or her arms (or both) the wrong way against the elbow joint, so I'm not too keen to try it at speed in freestyle.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine (who juggles a lot) has figured out a set of 'rules' for juggling patterns - the patterns which don't work involve you passing one of your arms through the space occupied by the other. This move feels a bit similar to me. Any advice or suggestions welcome?

I'll start you off:
1. Archie Spin:

The Rules:

Anyone else?

Msfab
7th-June-2005, 01:41 PM
I not at all keen on these moves that stop the lady (Follower) from completing a turn! Especially when the guy (lead) spins you hard! :angry:
They usually try doing it more than once! :mad:
So I try and get one back and spin more times than they expect! :yum:

MartinHarper
7th-June-2005, 01:47 PM
I'd like to nominate a double trouble move I was taught.

1) Get left girl in a L-R hold, and right girl in a R-L (sic) hold, via double-tapping the right girl's hand in a holding step.
2) Get the girls to hold hands, via saying "could you hold hands, please?"
3) Lead a one beat pause.
4) All three dancers spontaneously go off on that bizzare "knee, heel, cross" footwork thing for several beats.
5) Lead a one beat pause.

It's an ugly move because:
a) Hand-tap signals in double trouble? Are they nuts?
b) The verbal signal ain't much better.
c) The random section in the middle that is neither lead nor signalled, as far as I can tell. Is this meant to be purely choreographed? Mirrored? "play" time? Only the teacher knows, and sie's not telling.

The only positive thing about this move is the "ring-a-ring of roses" variation.

Trousers
7th-June-2005, 01:50 PM
The other one, is the continuous Windmill thingy (where the man keeps swapping hands behind his back) the reason being, I never know if he's going to do 2, 4, 6 or even 8, :confused: so I hesitate between each one, which makes it feel naff! I suppose if I 'knew' how many he was intending to do, say 4, before we started, it wouldn't be too bad! ;)
Ah I understand your problem here but think about this - If the guy has managed to get you around more than the little half windmill (2) you are obviously a good dancer and you will have made his day and he will attempt to fill his boots with windmills just 'cos he can. I would i mean do.
It's a nice big move looks good done well

Donna
7th-June-2005, 02:00 PM
This is such a *whingy* *whiney* thread - couldn't we talk about moves that we actually like for a bit? I feel my Karma draining away.

What do you think your doing now then, YOU WHINING ASS!! :D

David Bailey
7th-June-2005, 03:42 PM
Err, yes... :blush:

Yes, indeed. I'm sorry ESG, but if you can't think of anything to do from that position, I despair. It's more "what can't you do from there... :whistle:

I think if I started with 'interesting facts' I'd get a nickname as Interesting Fact Man,
Too late, Mr IFM.... :grin:

(From the man still occasionally known as "TT")

Rhythm King
7th-June-2005, 04:10 PM
I not at all keen on these moves that stop the lady (Follower) from completing a turn! Especially when the guy (lead) spins you hard! :angry:
They usually try doing it more than once! :mad:
So I try and get one back and spin more times than they expect! :yum:

No you've got it wrong - they only do it to you because keep pulling your hand away and spinning lots... :whistle:

Rhythm King
7th-June-2005, 04:16 PM
: (i've learnt lots of lovely sabotage moves lately!!! :D ) :rofl: :rofl:
Hmm, I didn't think that tweaking move you do was taught in an MJ class :devil:

:I'd go for the apologies, but ESG you could always tell me more about your velcro fetish, am still intrigued!!!!!

Surely the application of the velcro during "The Straightjacket" is simply to give him time to light the candle? :whistle:

Msfab
7th-June-2005, 04:18 PM
No you've got it wrong - they only do it to you because keep pulling your hand away and spinning lots... :whistle:

Thats not entirely true! :innocent:
I end up spinning lots because they push me too hard :mad: , in which there are only ever 2 outcomes
I either fall over or spin more than once so that I can stay upright!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
7th-June-2005, 04:24 PM
I can't stand the comb....especially when the man has a very sweaty neck!!! It just slips of!! Minging! :drool: HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! :angry:

:yeah: :yeah: I also hate it when you are learning moves like that in class, and the teacher stops mid move to go through the next part and your arm is sitting there getting all covered in sweat :angry:

Tessalicious
7th-June-2005, 04:33 PM
I can't stand the comb....especially when the man has a very sweaty neck!!! It just slips of!! Minging!
Yes, you would think the first time a guy does this in freestyle and catches your hand which is rather wetter than before, he would learn that maybe it's not such a good idea, wouldn't you? Same applies to manspins, although I can understand that it's quite hard to completely leave these out. Don't get me wrong, I like both comb and manspin, but not when they result in a soaking.

Just Wiggle
7th-June-2005, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Piglet]What's the clock? Sounds interesting - and my head is just full of Joseph and Sadie's pendulum... Pray tell...

Really not that exciting I'm afraid!.... The lead brings your right arm around in a big circular motion and then turns you in front of them.

I'm sure if you did do Joseph and Sadie's version you would get a very different reponse!

Danielle
7th-June-2005, 05:16 PM
Hmm, I didn't think that tweaking move you do was taught in an MJ class :devil:

Surely the application of the velcro during "The Straightjacket" is simply to give him time to light the candle? :whistle:

no it was taught to me in freestyle by a certain man!!!!!
wonder who that was :D :whistle: :waycool:
and that's our "special" move Richard, wouldn't dream of using it someone else :whistle:

and...........who said anything about him lighting the candle :rofl:

Danielle
7th-June-2005, 05:19 PM
Yes, you would think the first time a guy does this in freestyle and catches your hand which is rather wetter than before, he would learn that maybe it's not such a good idea, wouldn't you? Same applies to manspins, although I can understand that it's quite hard to completely leave these out. Don't get me wrong, I like both comb and manspin, but not when they result in a soaking.

not that i've ever done this :blush: :whistle: ..................

........but if after a soaking you make a point of wipping your hands off on your trousers - or even better his, he tends to become a lot more considerate for the rest of the dance :wink:

David Bailey
7th-June-2005, 06:48 PM
A friend of mine had a discussion with a guy about sweat, which turned weird when the guy suddenly started talking about sweating in bed (i.e. during rumpy-pumpy) - I think she just has that effect on some men!

Hey, it's my thread, I can hi-jack it if I want to :)

Gadget
7th-June-2005, 10:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like both comb and manspin, but not when they result in a soaking.
:confused: so "trace" rather than "drag".
Personally, I change the way I lead the man spin, shoulder slide and comb if I'm sweaty to sort of 'flick' the lady's hand out while turning so that they don't have to sogify themselves... but other times, a little bit of bodily-fluids shared between partners is not that disgisting :innocent::devil:

Moves I hate:
Any that involve a physical signal like the standard "pretzel" arm behind back wavy thing or the neckbreak "How". Especially signals for areals: I don't like the idea that I could scratch my nose and the lady jumps at me expecting me to catch her! :what:

Any moves that require specific knowledge from my partner (ie they are unleadable without knowing what I'm trying to do)

Doc Iain
8th-June-2005, 10:29 AM
If i see you teaching that with George tomo will not be impressed!!!!!! you will be stuck dancing with me all night as i won't want to dance with the class..........

Now theres a thought! :devil:

Donna
8th-June-2005, 01:35 PM
A friend of mine had a discussion with a guy about sweat, which turned weird when the guy suddenly started talking about sweating in bed (i.e. during rumpy-pumpy) - I think she just has that effect on some men!

Hey, it's my thread, I can hi-jack it if I want to :) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cruella
8th-June-2005, 04:35 PM
I'd like to nominate a double trouble move I was taught.

1) Get left girl in a L-R hold, and right girl in a R-L (sic) hold, via double-tapping the right girl's hand in a holding step.
2) Get the girls to hold hands, via saying "could you hold hands, please?"
3) Lead a one beat pause.
4) All three dancers spontaneously go off on that bizzare "knee, heel, cross" footwork thing for several beats.
5) Lead a one beat pause.

It's an ugly move because:
a) Hand-tap signals in double trouble? Are they nuts?
b) The verbal signal ain't much better.
c) The random section in the middle that is neither lead nor signalled, as far as I can tell. Is this meant to be purely choreographed? Mirrored? "play" time? Only the teacher knows, and sie's not telling.

The only positive thing about this move is the "ring-a-ring of roses" variation.
Hope that's not because you had bad followers. I was in the lesson at Solihull when you were taught that move!!! The worst part was the wiggling up and down after the footwork. Must have been quite entertaining for the onlookers though. :rofl:

Rebecca
8th-June-2005, 05:39 PM
: I don't like the idea that I could scratch my nose and the lady jumps at me expecting me to catch her! :what:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL!

Personally for me, I'm a bit afraid neck moves. :tears:

Although the drop I'm thinking of (don't know the name - man uses one hand around the back of the lady's neck) looks lovely, to me it feels like I daren't put any expression into it for fear of critical injury. Perhaps it's because I once was led out of it by someone using my neck to spin me (wrong, wrong, wrong).

jockey
8th-June-2005, 11:55 PM
That would be the "Screwdriver Stop" which can be found in my list of moves from heaven :rofl:

Lory
9th-June-2005, 02:57 PM
Just thought of one that always makes me sigh :sick:

Reason....
NOT cos I don't like the look of it, but just cos I'm 'pants' at it! :tears:

It's the one when the girl straddles the guys knee and leans back, I watch some girls, with such envy, as they just seem to fold in half! :worthy:

Although, I have to say, I only found out the other day, that all this time, I've been doing it completely wrong, :rolleyes: ........ apparently, I'm supposed to get my right knee right in between the guys and actually 'sit' on his thigh! :what:

Sounds like fun! :D

So I'm going to practice this weekend, with any poor unsuspecting victims at S'Port! :wink: And report back!

Cruella
9th-June-2005, 04:45 PM

Reason....

It's the one when the girl straddles the guys knee and leans back, I watch some girls, with such envy, as they just seem to fold in half! :worthy:

Although, I have to say, I only found out the other day, that all this time, I've been doing it completely wrong, :rolleyes: ........ apparently, I'm supposed to get my right knee right in between the guys and actually 'sit' on his thigh! :what:

So I'm going to practice this weekend, with any poor unsuspecting victims at S'Port! :wink: And report back!
Hey Lory, we'll practice on each other cos i'm pants at that one too.

Purple Sparkler
9th-June-2005, 04:49 PM

Reason....

You mean seducers? But didn't I see you practicing one with Will at the Beach Party? They're in my Moves from Heaven list...but only with the right partner!

Cruella
9th-June-2005, 04:54 PM
You mean seducers? But didn't I see you practicing one with Will at the Beach Party? They're in my Moves from Heaven list...but only with the right partner!
I think she means 'The Back Breaker' Someone correct me if i'm wrong! :blush:

Lory
9th-June-2005, 06:08 PM
As I said, I don't know the name but I've just had a kind offer from a forumite, offering to help me at Southport and he's calling it a 'sweep', maybe he'll help us both Cruella? :nice:

And yes P'Sparkler, Will's the one who told me where i've been going wrong :o but we only had a limited time to see what I could and couldn't do, so I didn't get time to practice! :rolleyes:

David Bailey
9th-June-2005, 06:08 PM

"Backbreaker"? Oh, so that's what it's called. Huh, live and learn.

That's definitely only one to do with someone you know very well. And if you don't know them by the start, you will by the end :wink:

JoC
20th-June-2005, 01:16 PM

Just to throw another potential name into the pot here... I was thinking 'Lambada backbend'... :D

MartinHarper
20th-June-2005, 01:56 PM
Just to throw another potential name into the pot here... I was thinking 'Lambada backbend'... :D

Names are good fun - I was thinking "beaver clamp".

JoC
20th-June-2005, 02:28 PM
I just have to...
:rofl:

bigdjiver
20th-June-2005, 02:33 PM
Way back I was taught a "Lambada" in Ceroc classes, where the the move started with a "Monkey walk", and then the girl swivelled and wrapped one leg around the guys waist, and layed back.

The move where the girl straddled the guys thigh and layed back was either a two-handed or single-handed layback. We were taught this move as the "Lambada" the other week. It would help if there was consistent naming.

I have had a couple of girls say that they were OK with a layback when asked, and then remark, "Oh, so that's what it is." and admit that they had no idea what a layback was.

JoC
20th-June-2005, 02:43 PM
"Monkey walk"

Aaah so that's what THAT one's called! Random naming must make for some interesting situations and moves when strangers from different parts of the country dance... (if it's the sort of move you have to agree to beforehand).

Sorry blatantly off-thread now. :o

Mr Cool
20th-June-2005, 04:42 PM

Reason....

The move is is quite simple and is down to the lead 95% the man has to have good balance and the confibence to pull the lady in close. When done well the man can sweep the lady as low as he likes with no effort. I like the ladies head to almost touch the floor, this is a superb move not many can do it with panache. The move I personally hate is the rabbit move the lady backs through the mans arms i dont believe anyone can dance this move with style. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

David Bailey
20th-June-2005, 06:43 PM
The move I personally hate is the rabbit move the lady backs through the mans arms i dont believe anyone can dance this move with style. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:
OK, I'm guessing that's the Tunnel, yes?

If so, I'd have agreed with you, up until the point where I saw it performed with style and panache on SDF (admittedly, was to salsa, but even so it looked good).

MouthoftheSouth
22nd-June-2005, 03:56 AM
Is that the "Thread the needle" as I was taught it in RnR - where the lady passes behind the man going under both his arms? It's the reverse of a pretzel in many respects, and often a pretzel is used immediately after it to get back to where you started.

Anyway - my worst move is called (IIRC) 1st move pop-up - 'cos I can never figure out just *** it's supposed to be, can't describe it, can't do it, and feel guilty when my good mate Mark the instructor keeps trying to teach it!!

I think I may have done it properly a couple of times but then I forgot how! :eek: :mad: :sick: :whistle:

DangerousCurves
22nd-June-2005, 02:53 PM
Its moves with blocks in them that cause me problems!

I think its partly because I'm a really bad spinner, so I hate it when I've just got a bit of decent rotation going, and it gets stopped... and then I have to work a bit up to spiral in the opposite direction (Cue for lots of desperate skateboard movements with my feet), and then that gets stopped as well. And then here I am trying to find any kind of momentum at all to turn back in the direction I was originally spinning in!!!!

I'm afraid that I dont know what such moves are properly called - but I do know I don't like 'em! :tears:

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm afraid that I dont know what such moves are properly called - but I do know I don't like 'em! :tears:
I suspect they're called Block moves :whistle:

Hmmm, I quite like them - they add drama to some moves.

And if I'm honest, I occasionally like keeping a follower on her toes to make sure she's still awake :blush:

Lou
22nd-June-2005, 03:10 PM
And if I'm honest, I occasionally like keeping a follower on her toes to make sure she's still awake :blush:
Do followers often sleep with you, then?

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 03:14 PM
Do followers often sleep with you, then?
You're just a typical man, always thinking about One Thing... :innocent:

But I shall resist the blatant attempt to take it upstairs, I've lost 1 thread Outside already. :tears:

LMC
22nd-January-2006, 02:25 AM
I was reminded of this fun thread to whinge and rant in by the ochos discussion on the AT thread.

I have to say that I b****y HATE the MJ "Ochos steps with lunge" move. I don't think they are proper ochos for a start, they are just cross steps as far as I can make out from ochos descriptions.

But the really ridiculous bit of the move is that the guy is encouraged to move his hands back and forward (similar to armjive action) to "lead" the steps. Since hardly any leaders seem to get this right (especially double time :eek: ), it doesn't help :sad: - much easier for both leader and follower if the guy just provides a still frame and lets the follower get on with it IMO.

Minnie M
22nd-January-2006, 10:20 AM
too early on a Sunday to read the whole thread (sorry) but my most hated move, is the one when the lead makes the follower lean backwards over his knee, then does the same move on the othe knee..... ouch ....:eek: ... and :sick: :tears: :tears:

If this move is not performed correctly (and very rarely is) is REALLY really hurts your back :angry:

robd
6th-February-2006, 01:18 PM
Not sure it's deserved as have no idea how comfortable it is for a follower but I would nominate what I guess is a hammerlock mambo walk thingy where follower's l/h is behind her back at waist level and r/h is behind her neck and mambo/manhattan steps ensue. I just think it looks dreadful especially where there is a significant height difference between partners forcing the lead to stoop down. Don't like the variant where the leaders and followers steps are offset rather than in a line either.

Robert

Cruella
6th-February-2006, 01:23 PM
too early on a Sunday to read the whole thread (sorry) but my most hated move, is the one when the lead makes the follower lean backwards over his knee, then does the same move on the othe knee..... ouch ....:eek: ... and :sick: :tears: :tears:

If this move is not performed correctly (and very rarely is) is REALLY really hurts your back :angry:
:yeah: This is my most hated move too. I also dislike blocks that stop you mid spin to send you spinning in the opposite direction. :sick: I dont like being spun using my hips either (although i know they're a good sized target for the man!)

Lory
14th-January-2007, 06:45 PM
Sometimes, something as simple as a double return can feel absolutely horrible.:sick:

The reason is, the lead gives the impression that it's only going to be one turn by allowing the momentum to stop and then they turn us again :rolleyes: and it feels just awful. :tears:

Maybe in some cases the second turn is just an after thought but there's a few leads that seem to do this all the time and I often wonder if they think they're helping, by letting us recover, then spinning us again :confused:

The above is anything but helpful! :sad: Please keep the inertia going guys! :flower:

LMC
14th-January-2007, 08:33 PM
robd - when led nicely, that move isn't as uncomfortable as it looks, honest! - and is a really good opportunity for a bit of a chat.

Mangle moves. Hate hate hate hate. 'nuff said.

Icey
14th-January-2007, 09:43 PM
robd - when led nicely, that move isn't as uncomfortable as it looks, honest! - and is a really good opportunity for a bit of a chat.

Have to agree here. If it's led nice and clearly it's lovely but if it is led by ham-fisted clod wearing clogs then its not so great :(

DD+
14th-January-2007, 10:55 PM
My most hated move-

THE MANGLE

anyone who actually knows me might understand why! :wink: it really is an excuse for a man to cop a grab on the way over!

Hate it - Hate it

:blush: :angry: :blush: :angry:
feel better now i've got that one of my chest :yum:

SuzyQ
15th-January-2007, 01:13 AM

:yeah: it always feels wrong to me!!

SuzyQ
15th-January-2007, 01:17 AM
Any move that involves the lady ducking (yes that's Ducking Simon R :rolleyes: ) under the guy's arm. I never know they're coming, there doesn't seem to be a proper lead or signal for them and yet once committed the guy is always intent on going through with it - to the extent that I nearly get my head knocked off my shoulders :angry:.
Just can't, don't and won't do them!
S. x

:yeah: why do guys insist on leading me into this move - I'm 6'2" for heaven's sake!!!
Always get bashed in the back of my head and it is very undignified!

Green-eyed Monsta
15th-January-2007, 01:31 AM
My most hated move-

THE MANGLE

anyone who actually knows me might understand why! :wink: it really is an excuse for a man to cop a grab on the way over!

Hate it - Hate it

:blush: :angry: :blush: :angry:
feel better now i've got that one of my chest :yum:

:yeah: especially at high speed and when you get made to do them about a million times in one dance!!!

Genie
15th-January-2007, 12:11 PM
Sorry, the Mangle?

pmjd
15th-January-2007, 12:26 PM
Sorry, the Mangle?

:yeah: :confused:

MartinHarper
15th-January-2007, 01:18 PM
As I recall, Mangles are a family of moves that have the follower's arms crossed on her shoulders at some point (like basket variations, but higher up). The details vary.

Tessalicious
15th-January-2007, 01:48 PM
The Mangle I know is the one where the entry is kinda complicated (never lead it, so I don't remember the details) but the guy ends up behind the lady with both her hands behind her head and then brings them both over her head forwards - almost always messing up her hair, bashing her head or dislocating one shoulder or other. Followed by a basket exit.

Lovely move :whistle:

(Actually, to be fair, it can be nice in the right hands - but ought to be classified information only available to considerate leads!)

pmjd
15th-January-2007, 02:17 PM
Thank you for the info. It's not one I think I've been taught and by the sounds of most comments not one I'll try and find out how to do:innocent:.

Curious though, is it the actual move that is the problem with "Moves from Hell" or is it more the lead, or lack of it? Could you split moves into "horrible" and "horrible when lead badly"? If it has been asked already then my apologies for not reading everything:flower:

Genie
15th-January-2007, 02:39 PM
I think just about any move that doesn't require the lead to have better-than-average flexibility or strength can be a good move 'if lead well'. But there are a selection of moves out there that are not good moves if they are not lead well and can cause some discomfort (being very tall, even a return can be painful for me if not done right :tears:)

It's those moves that we all wish were not used by inexperienced leads. Because they can actually really hurt.

robd
15th-January-2007, 02:43 PM

Always hard to tell from watching just how comfortable or uncomfortable a move is. It seemed a bit awkward to me though I have to say my principal objection was on aesthetic grounds - it just looks naff. Mind you, I know some of my favourite moves (accordion lapsit, 'blues grind' :drool: ) look pretty awful but feel great.

Robert

Chef
15th-January-2007, 03:23 PM
Oh yes - The mangle. My partner hates this one with a vengance (because it messes up her hair) and I hardly use it because I have rarely found a peice of music that has suggested that I should do this move.

This move was taught at last weeks class and it caused problems at exactly the same point that it always has done. You get to a point where the man places his right hand on the womans left shoulder (while still holding her right hand) and turn her clockwise. In order for her right arm to fully come out of the hammerlock position so that it can be lifted and looped over her head and body you have to do one of two things.

1) get her to do her clockwise turn to the point when she has her back to you AND to continue this turn for 1/8th of a turn more (then the arm will loop over her head without struggle

or

2) the man has to walk around the womans right hand side to simulate this 1/8th turn, loop the hand over the womans head and then return to position behind the woman.

I prefer option 1 because it flows better and looks slightly less naff but the class was taught to do option 2. I think the reason the class was taught option 2 was because by the time the woman has had her left hand lifted to her left shoulder and the turn has begun she can feel the pressure of the mans hand in the back of her neck build up and her arms start becoming stiffer as she defends herself against any further "mangling". She then refuses to turn that crucial extra 1/8th turn that releases her arm from the hammerlock position.

Assuming you have made it far enough to get the womans arm comfortably out of the hammerlock position and looped the arm over her head most women are so fed up by this point that their arms go stiff that there is no way you can get enough slack in their arms to unhook your right hand out from behind their head and bring it over the top of their head and inf ront of them without messing up their hair and knocking the back of their head. Most women spend the sort of time getting their hair done for an evening out to an extent that few men can understand. For us guys it is just wash, brush and go. Mess up a womans hair at your peril.

Top tips for the mangle

1) ladies, do the extra 1/8th turn to unlock your arm so that it can be looped over your head without joints getting hurt.

2) men, when you come to lift the arm to loop it over the ladies head only use your fingerprints to do the leading. If you need any more force than that then you haven't unlocked the hammerlock properly or the womans arms have gone stiff in fear of the havoc you are going to wreak on her. If it fails at this point give up gracefully rather than continue against the odds and annoy the lady.

3)Ladies let your arms go VERY relaxed so that the guy can get clearance space for him to get his right hand from behind your neck, clear your hairdo and over the top of your head. Good for you, good for him.

I still think the move looks naff though.

Astro
21st-January-2007, 08:23 PM
I think just about any move that doesn't require the lead to have better-than-average flexibility or strength can be a good move 'if lead well'. But there are a selection of moves out there that are not good moves if they are not lead well and can cause some discomfort (being very tall, even a return can be painful for me if not done right :tears:)

It's those moves that we all wish were not used by inexperienced leads. Because they can actually really hurt.

I hate it when i am lead into a drop with no warning.
There is no time to position myself.
There is no time to sabatage the drop.
The sudden shock jolts my spine, and i have back ache for a few days.

Lory
29th-April-2009, 09:34 AM

HA HA HA....Just read this and I can happily say, four years on and I no longer have a problem with these :clap::D

bigdjiver
29th-April-2009, 11:03 AM
I had a retro moment last night and did a man tunnel. just to see if I could.

"Hey that's a cool move ..." :what:

Steven666
29th-April-2009, 01:21 PM
I had a retro moment last night and did a man tunnel. just to see if I could.

"Hey that's a cool move ..." :what:

Just reminded me of that. Yet I still like that move!!! :blush:

SPROGGS
29th-April-2009, 01:48 PM
I hate it when i am lead into a drop with no warning.
There is no time to position myself.
There is no time to sabatage the drop.
The sudden shock jolts my spine, and i have back ache for a few days.

It is the responsibility of the "leader" to check that the "follower" is willing and able to be put into a drop BEFORE :banghead: putting them into one..no matter how well executed or expert they may be.

It is potentially very dangerous not to check first.

The leader walks away after the dance looking for his next victim, thinking how cool he was.

The injured follower suffers the consequences, for hours, days or weeks. :tantrum:

Agente Secreto
29th-April-2009, 10:22 PM
It is the responsibility of the "leader" to check that the "follower" is willing and able to be put into a drop BEFORE :banghead: putting them into one..no matter how well executed or expert they may be.

It is potentially very dangerous not to check first.

The leader walks away after the dance looking for his next victim, thinking how cool he was.

The injured follower suffers the consequences, for hours, days or weeks. :tantrum:

Did we not have a thread on this recently:wink: