PDA

View Full Version : Soul and Motown Session at Camber/Bognor

Andy McGregor
4th-June-2005, 02:41 PM
For the last few months I've been running Soul and Motown nights in Shoreham. They're aimed at the general public rather than jivers and they've become a phenomenal success which I'm really enjoying running. I ran one last night and we had about 20 or so MJers in and they danced to just about every track and had a great time. This got me thinking about doing a Soul and Motown session each night at Camber so I called Franco today and he likes the idea - but just to make sure, I thought I'd take the question to the highest authority on all matters MJ and ask the forumites what they think!

Dance Demon
4th-June-2005, 03:20 PM
Soul and Motown kicks ass......tons of excellent stuff that rarely gets an airing at MJ nights. I always try to throw in some Northern and Motown in my sets, and I wish other DJs would too. Go for it Andy :waycool:

Mr Cool
4th-June-2005, 04:01 PM
For the last few months I've been running Soul and Motown nights in Shoreham. They're aimed at the general public rather than jivers and they've become a phenomenal success which I'm really enjoying running. I ran one last night and we had about 20 or so MJers in and they danced to just about every track and had a great time. This got me thinking about doing a Soul and Motown session each night at Camber so I called Franco today and he likes the idea - but just to make sure, I thought I'd take the question to the highest authority on all matters MJ and ask the forumites what they think!

Im no expert on motown or soul. I like music with attitude, breaks and hesitations from any era, ancient or modern. Dancing for me is about interpretation of the music, something to my great disappointment many DJs (swing and MJ) do not understand. Come on guys give us something to play with. We dont all want to go through the same old choreographed routines ignoring the music :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

clevedonboy
4th-June-2005, 04:21 PM
Putting some stuff together to help out tonight's summer dance in Nailsea - I've included Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Heat Wave & Dancing in the Streets. 70s Disco is also popular at that venue.

I think it's a good idea to run it one evening

Minnie M
5th-June-2005, 02:14 AM

:clap: Brilliant idea - I'll with you on this :clap:

Sheepman
6th-June-2005, 01:38 PM
Much as I like soul and motown, I wouldn't want to dance to it for a whole set. (Of course, that could depend on your definition of "soul" as plenty of modern RnB can be described as "soulful", how do you define a singer that has "got soul"?)
I'm assuming here it would be a case of what I would think of as "70's Soul." From time to time JB plays 3 or 4 in a row, I find I normally want something different after just a couple of tracks.
Of course, if there wasn't a dance event on, and I just "happened" to be at a soul and motown venue, then the music wouldn't stop me from dancing all night... :whistle:

Greg

Andy McGregor
6th-June-2005, 01:50 PM
Much as I like soul and motown, I wouldn't want to dance to it for a whole set. (Of course, that could depend on your definition of "soul" as plenty of modern RnB can be described as "soulful", how do you define a singer that has "got soul"?) This comment could apply to any genre of music. Could you dance to a whole set of swing? Of course you could if the DJ mixed up the artists, styles etc. Now that I've been running soul nights I've been amazed at the diversity of soul and Motown music: the other surprising thing is how much of it is undiscovered for MJ!

I've just had a peek at the voting and there's now another reason to attend a soul session at Camber - The Tramp won't be there :devil:

David Bailey
7th-June-2005, 11:07 AM
This comment could apply to any genre of music. Could you dance to a whole set of swing? Of course you could if the DJ mixed up the artists, styles etc. Now that I've been running soul nights I've been amazed at the diversity of soul and Motown music: the other surprising thing is how much of it is undiscovered for MJ!
Maybe you could propose a playlist? I'm woefully ignorant of the whole genre, but I'm certainly willing to accept it's a large enough field to create a set out of.

Sheepman
7th-June-2005, 12:09 PM
Could you dance to a whole set of swing? Of course you could if the DJ mixed up the artists, styles etc. Of course I could, and in the past I frequently have done so (having started "life" as a Lindyhopper) but that doesn't mean that I'd want to do that nowadays.
I accept that my knowledge of the soul & motown genre may not be broad, though I grew up loving some of the artists, I also know there are great tracks there, that I'd love to dance to, and that don't get played at my usual venues. But MJ has the adaptablity to work for different types of music, latin, jazz, R&B, RnB, pop, tango, swing, etc. so I prefer not to be too restricted. The main complaint you will here from me in a swing and blues room at a weekender is "too much swing" as I disappear for a break until the next DJ is scheduled.

Greg

soulman
7th-January-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi there,
browsing and found this thread. I sent a similar request last year. When I go to Ceroc there is hardly a time where I make a comment about "oh they played too much of this or that", as I would say that most Ceroc music is easy enough to dance to and has 'soul' to a varying degree (that will be why they dont play happy hardcore. From 0-10 I would give that 1 on a Soul rating).

Adrain the DJ on a Thursday at Jumpin jaks does play some. It would be good to have a 'Soul' themed party night??? You would definitely be provided with enough top quality music to last the night. You have a selection of: Motown..Stax (Otis, Aretha, Sam and Dave etc), Southern Soul (Al Green, Etta James etc), Northern Soul (Jimmy Fountains - "Seven Day Lover", Ruby Andrews - "just Lovin' You", Chuck Woods, Frank Wilson, etc etc. Peppered with a bit of Disco would make a good night for sure.

Dont know how thisa could be taken forward but would be a good idea if there was enough interest. If it couldn't be hed in Aberdeen, then if it could be arranged somewhere in Scotland sometime this year.

Soulman

Double Trouble
7th-January-2007, 09:49 PM
I listen to smooth FM which is a soul music radio station. Every day, I hear so many brilliant soul tunes that would go down so well at ceroc and always thought that a soul room at camber would go down really well too.

Please, please, please do it. It would be fantastic.

Chef
7th-January-2007, 10:38 PM
I had to vote on the poll that I would "go to the other room" as it was the closest to what I would do which is to have an early evening sleep until it was all over.

I have never liked soul music. I do like motown but it is too close in character to mainstream MJ music (which I can get 6 nights a week anywhere) to want to dance to it. In the event that there was a main MJ room and a soul and motown room then I would avoid both.

If there was no swing and blues room I would proably avoid the whole weekender. There are plenty of others to choose from.

JiveLad
7th-January-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi - the idea of more soul music is something which has been to close to my heart since I first started MJ.

Thas been quite big topic of conversation over the last few weeks. Why so little soul????

There is so much music in this genre - all with varying tempos and moods - it would be quite easy to do this on a regular basis: indeed, one guy I spoke to last night has been checking out venues for a night of Soul/Motown he is planning to do.

Just one thing - please mix in a few lesser known tracks rather than all the obvious ones!! Definitely make it spontaneous and don't publish a playlist beforehand!!

Good luck!

Trouble
7th-January-2007, 10:57 PM
that would honesty make the weekend for me. Am a great lover of Motown and often think to myself, ooh that would be great to dance too, or , why oh why dont they play this ..... Bring it on Andy,, great stuff.

:D :respect:

fletch
7th-January-2007, 11:10 PM
I listen to smooth FM which is a soul music radio station. Every day, I hear so many brilliant soul tunes that would go down so well at ceroc and always thought that a soul room at camber would go down really well too.

Please, please, please do it. It would be fantastic.

Me to :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You have a selection of: Motown..Stax (Otis, Aretha, Sam and Dave etc), Southern Soul (Al Green, Etta James etc), Northern Soul (Jimmy Fountains - "Seven Day Lover", Ruby Andrews - "just Lovin' You", Chuck Woods, Frank Wilson, etc etc. Peppered with a bit of Disco would make a good night for sure.

Soulman

Soulman yeeeeharrrr have I found my soul mate :confused:

this sounds just pppppppperfect to me :worthy:

Hi - the idea of more soul music is something which has been to close to my heart since I first started MJ.

Thas been quite big topic of conversation over the last few weeks. Why so little soul????

!

Me and the Witty one wen't to Glouchester on the 30th John Bakers venue.

Fab, fab fab, he allways plays a bit of the above just to keep us old'uns happy, you should have seen me and Immergen's dad go :clap:

that would honesty make the weekend for me. Am a great lover of Motown and often think to myself, ooh that would be great to dance too, or , why oh why dont they play this ..... Bring it on Andy,, great stuff.

:D :respect:

Hand bags at the realy Trouble :really:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

last year at 'ice' the DJ played the 'snake' :worthy: we didn't get it this year :sad:

Trouble
7th-January-2007, 11:22 PM
Hand bags at the realy Trouble :really:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

last year at 'ice' the DJ played the 'snake' :worthy: we didn't get it this year :sad:

absolutely. All our handbags in the middle....great stuff. :clap: :clap:

Gav
7th-January-2007, 11:26 PM
It's OK for all you old dears, but us youngsters don't understand what the attractions is :D :na:

fletch
7th-January-2007, 11:27 PM
absolutely. All our handbags in the middle....great stuff. :clap: :clap:

just a shame there wasn't any at 'ice' RK hates it :na:

only joking RK :blush:

fletch
7th-January-2007, 11:29 PM
It's OK for all you old dears, but us youngsters don't understand what the attractions is :D :na:

Oi you! cheeck g!t Less off the 'dear' :D

I'll give you a run for your money anytime :wink:

there ain't many of you 'young'ens' can keep up with me :whistle:

:rofl:

Double Trouble
7th-January-2007, 11:33 PM
Anyone who doesnt appreciate soul music....is a total waste of space.

I'm quite passionate about my music.:D

fletch
7th-January-2007, 11:36 PM

:yeah:

I'm not on my own anymore :clap:

Trouble
7th-January-2007, 11:36 PM
Oi you! cheeck g!t Less off the 'dear' :D

I'll give you a run for your money anytime :wink:

there ain't many of you 'young'ens' can keep up with me :whistle:

:rofl:

yeah......

and i'll be giving Fletch directions when she is outrunning you... :D :respect:

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 10:21 AM

As you've been to Prestayne you are obviously into your music.

I think though from a "soul music" lovers point of view it maybe difficult to play some of the real stuff. There will be a real tug of playing the classics from what everone knows to playing classics that a soul music lover knows

A set like this and you might be talking for me

01.Atlantic Starr – “when love calls”

02.Ozone – “(our hearts) will always shine”

03.Active Force – “give me your love”

04.Omari – “after loving you”

05.Lamont Dozier – “you oughta be in pictures”

06.Rhyze – “bizarr”

07.Gloria Gaynor – “lets mend whats been broken”

08.The Chi-lites – “try my side of love”

09.Arthur Miles – “helping hand”

10.Khemistry – “can you feel my love”

11.Frankie Kelly – “ain’t that the truth”

12.The Brothers Johnson – “caught up”

13.Sunfire – “step in the light”

14.Rose Royce – “still in love”

15.The Jacksons – “strength of one man”

16.Randy Brown – “love is all we need”

17.Sylvester – “here is my love”

I am in the minority I know and anything is better than nothing

Double Trouble
8th-January-2007, 10:24 AM

I think though from a "soul music" lovers point of view it maybe difficult to play some of the real stuff. There will be a real tug of playing the classics from what everone knows to playing classics that a soul music lover knows

06.Rhyze – “bizarr”

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :respect: :respect: :respect: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

THAT'S what I'm talking about. I was just in the process of putting together my own top ten uplifting soul tunes to ceroc to, but you beat me to it...and your list is better than mine.:sad:

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 10:49 AM
And hear lies a problem because to go and get these records (unless you download them of course) are going to cost you time and money. Some of those tracks are readily available on CD comps now but it take a lot of effort to get a good collection of soul music together.

Double Trouble
8th-January-2007, 10:57 AM
Ok, but if you went a little more commercial. Like this list for example.

Cheryl Lynn - Got to be real
Earth wind and fire - September
Rose Royce - Car wash
Micheal Jackson - Dont stop til you get enough
Oliver Cheatham - Get down Saturday night
Skipworth & Turner - Thinking about your love
D. Train - You're the one for me
The Whispers - It's a love thing
The Whispers - and the beat goes on
Earth Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland
Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed Delivered, I'm yours.

Gav
8th-January-2007, 11:12 AM
-lot's of stuff-

How about:

Tavares - Let me heal the bruises
Curtis Mayfield - Freddie's dead
Isaac Hayes - Walk on by
Lauren Hill - The miseducation of Lauren Hill

Double Trouble
8th-January-2007, 11:26 AM
Oh...Oh...OOooooooohhhh. I forgot one of my favourites.

Natalie Cole - This will be.

It makes me feel all bouncy and tingly just thinking about dancing ceroc to that tune.

JiveLad
8th-January-2007, 11:37 AM
The great thing about this thread is that there a bunch of tunes which are new to me (and I consider myself something of a soul aficionado) and so I will be busy downloading later - thanx guys!!

For me there are some albums in my collection with great tracks on for Ceroc, with varying tempos/BPMs/moods, eg:

This is Northern Soul (vol1 &2): Motown Northern Soul Rarities
The Philly Sound (vol1,2,3)
Complete Stax Collection (vol 1 - 9)
Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures vol 1/2
Temptations Early Years
Marvin Gaye Anthology
Edwin Starr Early Years

.........and that's just the start - you could do a whole weekend just on these!

Double Trouble
8th-January-2007, 11:42 AM
.........and that's just the start - you could do a whole weekend just on these!

If there was a soul/ceroc weekend...I would be first on the list. Just imagine how amazing that would be.

You could have three different rooms with different types of soul music in each.

And everyone would be really cool, funky and friendly.....just like all the soul weekenders I used to go to.

I can only dream of such a weekend.:sad:

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 11:47 AM
Go to Southport in May and your dreams could come true :wink:

Saturday afternoon in the Connoisseurs Corner dancing to classic modern soul MJing would be excellent.

You know you want to book www.southportweekender.co.uk (http://www.southportweekender.co.uk) the 40th one

Double Trouble
8th-January-2007, 12:05 PM

Trust you to mention the only weekender I am not going on.:rolleyes:

Dance Demon
8th-January-2007, 12:46 PM

Saturday afternoon in the Connoisseurs Corner dancing to classic modern soul MJing would be excellent.

You know you want to book www.southportweekender.co.uk (http://www.southportweekender.co.uk) the 40th one

Careful you don't upset the "Blues Room Police"....I had my plans to play some classic Doo-Wop....the forerunner of Northern Soul....scuppered last year. Hope you get away with it though, I've gradually introduced some soul stuff into my Southport sets as a lot of it is great for WCS, but I recall Chef referring to it as "disco":rofl:

Whoops...just realise you are talking about an entirely different Southport weekender........sorry

TheTramp
8th-January-2007, 12:48 PM
Careful you don't upset the "Blues Room Police"....I had my plans to play some classic Doo-Wop....the forerunner of Northern Soul....scuppered last year. Hope you get away with it though, I've gradually introduced some soul stuff into my Southport sets as a lot of it is great for WCS, but I recall Chef referring to it as "disco":rofl:

Ummm. I think that it's a different Southport weekend John....

fletch
8th-January-2007, 01:08 PM

Earth wind and fire - September

Earth Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland

Rob Ambridge play's these tunes, i'm round my handbag for these.

:worthy:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 01:55 PM
The wording of soul "and motown" is something that I wounder about do you mean northern soul. With Motown still being a record label today, is this a generic way of saying Northern soul.

Here are a few more for you to search out some a bit more recent

01. Dwele – I think I love you
02. Sharon Redd – love is gonna get ya
03. Michael Wycoff – looking up to you
04. Ben E.King – street tough
05. Prince – beautiful, loved and blessed
06. Sounds of Blackness – I believe
07. Jean Carn – bet your lucky stars
08. The Rebirth –sum same
09. Alton McClain & Destiny – it must be love
10. Zingara – i surrender
11. Rose Royce – best love
12. Benjamin Devigne – mess up
13. Fat Freddies Drop –flashback (jazzanova mix)
14. Heaven & Earth – i really love you
15. Tom Browne – brighter tommorrow
16. Alicia Myers – i want to thank you

Chef
8th-January-2007, 02:26 PM

I think I said something along the lines of "then suddenly about 3am the blues room seemed to go Disco". I don't know if you find it funny that I refered to something as "disco" when a more precise definitation of the musical style was more approriate. I have no objections to the music as such. There are those that like it and those that don't. I am one of the latter and as a result I have not made an in depth study of the different sub genres. Likewise, I wouldn't know the difference between acid house, garage and trance musical genres. Don't know the difference and don't like any of the styles enough to educate myself.

My comment was because I thought the uptempo beat and style of the "disco" music was jarringly inappropriate (IMO) to a blues room at 3am. Perhaps it would have fitted in in the latin room, the tango milonga, or the ballroom session much more seamlessly.

I would be interested to hear WHY and by WHOM, you think your planned Doo-Wop session at Southport was scuppered. Was it just a case that you put forward your proposal and people said - thanks for the offer but no thanks? I am not sure that I have heard Doo-Wop music before (might have heard it but it was not identified to me as Doo-wop) and would have been interested to have the opportunity to hear some - even if that wouldn't have guaranteed that I would have liked it.

Andy McGregor
8th-January-2007, 04:13 PM
The wording of soul "and motown" is something that I wounder about do you mean northern soul. With Motown still being a record label today, is this a generic way of saying Northern soul.
As somebody who has been running soul and Motown nights for 2 years I can tell you that there are 2 definitions of Northern Soul. Ask and American about Northern Soul and he'd say it was soul music from Detroit, the home of Motown. As opposed to Southern Soul on the Stax label from Philli. However, there is another "Northern Soul" from Manchester. It's very specialised, of fringe interest, very different from Motown and, in my experience, a guaranteed floor clearer. However, there are dedicated fanatics who love this genre and will probably fight you if you say there's anything wrong with their "Northern Soul".

I've accumulated a massive collection of Soul & Motown and have now got most, if not all, of the tracks listed above. I've even got a fairly large collection of the Manchester version of Northern Soul. At one soul night I had a Northern Soul fan request his all-time favourite track: he had the attitude "with what you're playing you won't have this". I played the track on the condition he danced in the middle of the floor to the whole track. In a room of 200 people he danced alone :devil: I got everyone to give him a round of applause and then said "let's all get back on the floor, it's Dancing in the Streets by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas" a guaranteed floor filler. To my great relief they flooded back on the floor:eek:

Dance Demon
8th-January-2007, 04:35 PM
I think I said something along the lines of "then suddenly about 3am the blues room seemed to go Disco". I don't know if you find it funny that I refered to something as "disco" when a more precise definitation of the musical style was more approriate. I have no objections to the music as such. There are those that like it and those that don't. I am one of the latter and as a result I have not made an in depth study of the different sub genres. ~snip~
My comment was because I thought the uptempo beat and style of the "disco" music was jarringly inappropriate (IMO) to a blues room at 3am. Perhaps it would have fitted in in the latin room, the tango milonga, or the ballroom session much more seamlessly.
I did think it was funny, as I certainly wouldn't have classed it as "disco". Just my sense of humour I suppose, not meant to be a dig at anyones understanding of music genres, so sorry if it sounded like I was.My 1 hour set was sandwiched between Peter Phillips, who played a swingy set, and Trampy, who tends to play quite a swingy set at that time of the morning. Given that we had Robert Cordoba and Deborah in the blues room when I went on, and quite a few others who like WCS, I thought I'd play some stuff for them to dance to, and to change the tempo a bit. It was on the Saturday night, which tends to be busier at 3am than on the Friday or Saturday, as everyone is still in party mode and it was only an hour. judging from the feedback I received, a lot of people really enjoyed it. I don't think it would have fitted in to the Latin room or the Milonga session, as it wasn't a latin set.I payed the final sets in the blues rooms on the Friday and the Sunday nights, and the music was quite a different style and tempo.
I won't go in to the Doo-Wop thing again. My "blues room police" reference was basically to certain people with whom I had some friendly banter at the time. I have sneaked the odd doo wop track in to my sets, and nobody noticed.....:D

Chef
8th-January-2007, 04:55 PM
I did think it was funny, as I certainly wouldn't have classed it as "disco". Just my sense of humour I suppose, not meant to be a dig at anyones understanding of music genres, so sorry if it sounded like I was.

Not taken as a dig. I just thought that I had committed a faux pas by so horribly labelling something as "disco" when someone who loved and understood the music and it's differences knew that what was played was nothing of the sort.

My 1 hour set was sandwiched between Peter Phillips, who played a swingy set, and Trampy, who tends to play quite a swingy set at that time of the morning. Given that we had Robert Cordoba and Deborah in the blues room when I went on, and quite a few others who like WCS, I thought I'd play some stuff for them to dance to, and to change the tempo a bit.

So you see there were three sets that were uptempo swingy back to back. It is getting harder and harder to find a "blues" room anymore. It is starting to seem that if you want to get some blues music to dance to you have to start think about joining the swing and blues room about 4am to have any chance. I have noticed that there are fewer rooms that are labelled "swing and blues" these days. A more general term of "chillout" or "smooth" is being used. This of course allows you to play anything you like as long as it is slower than the main room.

I don't think it would have fitted in to the Latin room or the Milonga session, as it wasn't a latin set.

Quite. It wasn't a swing or blues set either. As I said, and its only my opinion, it didn't seem to fit the room at that time. In the great scheme of things it doesn't matter that much. After about 20 minutes of not enjoying the music I went to the latin room until the set was over and returned in the hope that a blues set would be played.

It is one of the great things about weekenders and events with more than one room. If what is going on doesn't flaot your boat you can always try another room for a while.

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 05:27 PM
As somebody who has been running soul and Motown nights for 2 years I can tell you that there are 2 definitions of Northern Soul. Ask and American about Northern Soul and he'd say it was soul music from Detroit, the home of Motown. As opposed to Southern Soul on the Stax label from Philli. However, there is another "Northern Soul" from Manchester. It's very specialised, of fringe interest, very different from Motown and, in my experience, a guaranteed floor clearer. However, there are dedicated fanatics who love this genre and will probably fight you if you say there's anything wrong with their "Northern Soul".

I've accumulated a massive collection of Soul & Motown and have now got most, if not all, of the tracks listed above. I've even got a fairly large collection of the Manchester version of Northern Soul. At one soul night I had a Northern Soul fan request his all-time favourite track: he had the attitude "with what you're playing you won't have this". I played the track on the condition he danced in the middle of the floor to the whole track. In a room of 200 people he danced alone :devil: I got everyone to give him a round of applause and then said "let's all get back on the floor, it's Dancing in the Streets by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas" a guaranteed floor filler. To my great relief they flooded back on the floor:eek:

That would have been my worry to be honest I couldn't see Northern working it's to specialised.
Obviously you know what your playing Andy but I am surprised at the comment about Northern Soul and Americans. I have never met an American who knows what the term Northern Soul applies to other than the soul music played in the north of our country. If you take a look at wikapedea this is the definition they give http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul

You'll see that even on there they include Motown specifically with in the northern scene.
You are catering for people who want to hear the classic's most of which are on Motown because it was so prolific in that era. So calling it Soul and Motown is OK for people that have not been involved in the soul scene for people that have it means Northern Soul is going to be played.

My interest is more in modern soul
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_soul

But hey 2 years of running a night well I doth my cap

fletch
8th-January-2007, 05:44 PM
I know its a bit off track, but.........when I go MJ'ing north of the Midlands Nantwich etc, and go clubbing after, is still popular and played quite a bit with guys and girls dancing ......well what i would call properly to it:worthy: just a shame the club's are a bit:sick:

Dance Demon
8th-January-2007, 05:50 PM
Quite. It wasn't a swing or blues set either. As I said, and its only my opinion, it didn't seem to fit the room at that time.

i suppose it depends on what you class as swing and blues. that set also contained music from John Lee Hooker, Johnny Ferreira, Boz Scaggs , Natalie Cole, amongst others who are most definitely Blues and Swing artistes.

JiveLad
8th-January-2007, 05:52 PM
..... At one soul night I had a Northern Soul fan request his all-time favourite track: he had the attitude "with what you're playing you won't have this". I played the track on the condition he danced in the middle of the floor to the whole track. In a room of 200 people he danced alone :devil: I got everyone to give him a round of applause and then said "let's all get back on the floor, it's Dancing in the Streets by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas" a guaranteed floor filler. To my great relief they flooded back on the floor:eek:

Andy that is a funny story - can you remember the track?

I think you're probably right about the UK Northern Soul not working so well: I remember many years ago when my sister had a party. It was attended by some Northern Soulies who then took over the music system - and while they went bananas - everyone else went flat. My sister screamed "You're killing the party"............

You've kind of got to know it and even within (UK) Northern Soul there is so much rare stuff/obscure which can take a bit of time to find it's way in. Probably best to leave most of the obscure stuff to the genuine Soul Weekenders and stick to the more well known stuff.

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 05:55 PM
I know its a bit off track, but.........when I go MJ'ing north of the Midlands Nantwich etc, and go clubbing after, is still popular and played quite a bit with guys and girls dancing ......well what i would call properly to it:worthy: just a shame the club's are a bit:sick:

There is still a good northern scene going on in the North there are also quite a few nights in the south. One is at Letchworth at the Plinston Hall where they have Ceroc nights. Soul Sam plays there they have a northern and a modern soul room as do most of the northern events now. St. Ivo still has allnigthers (with the same crowd as Letchworth)and of course there's the 100 club in London. If your interested in a night out take a look at www.soul-source.co.uk (http://www.soul-source.co.uk)

fletch
8th-January-2007, 05:57 PM
I wen't to a MJ event in sutton in ashfield (Nottingham) last year, and the guy DJing asked if anyone had any requests, the 'snake' had already been on so I asked for 'on the floor' Dobey Grey....I think thats right ....i'm hopless at names :blush: Fab to solo dance to but goodness it cleared the floor, you carn't MJ to it :sick: but who would want to :na:

fletch
8th-January-2007, 06:01 PM
There is still a good northern scene going on in the North there are also quite a few nights in the south. One is at Letchworth at the Plinston Hall where they have Ceroc nights. Soul Sam plays there they have a northern and a modern soul room as do most of the northern events now. St. Ivo still has allnigthers (with the same crowd as Letchworth)and of course there's the 100 club in London. If your interested in a night out take a look at www.soul-source.co.uk (http://www.soul-source.co.uk)

the 100 club has been mentioned to me before, and all nighters,:clap: I have found it so hard to get used to venues closing at, anywhere from 11 to 1am :really: whats the chaces of getting in after we finish MJing one weekend :cheers:

TheTramp
8th-January-2007, 06:03 PM
and Trampy, who tends to play quite a swingy set at that time of the morning.

I do?

So you see there were three sets that were uptempo swingy back to back. It is getting harder and harder to find a "blues" room anymore. It is starting to seem that if you want to get some blues music to dance to you have to start think about joining the swing and blues room about 4am to have any chance. I have noticed that there are fewer rooms that are labelled "swing and blues" these days. A more general term of "chillout" or "smooth" is being used. This of course allows you to play anything you like as long as it is slower than the main room.

I can't remember what I played. But I probably saved the playlist. Which set was that then? If I do still have the playlist, I'll post up what I played. About the only thing that I can be sure of without looking, is that I didn't play an uptempo swing set. Pretty much all the music for the blues room at Southport comes out of my 'blues' folder. Which might have things like 'Fever' or I might play something like 'Me and my shadow' in it. But that's as "fast and swingy" as it'd get from me at Southport (apart from the forum reception, but that's different - there I try to play songs that I know people from here have said they like!).

fletch
8th-January-2007, 06:16 PM
Trampy, who tends to play quite a swingy set

is that when we all throw our chalet key onto the middle of the dance floor :wink:

I do?

apparently, I think we need more mowtown :whistle:

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 06:16 PM
the 100 club has been mentioned to me before, and all nighters,:clap: I have found it so hard to get used to venues closing at, anywhere from 11 to 1am :really: whats the chaces of getting in after we finish MJing one weekend :cheers:

I would love to take you fletch tbh if I was in London I would be going somewhere else than the 100 club if i was going out clubbing after an MJ night. :wink:

Chef
8th-January-2007, 06:21 PM
i suppose it depends on what you class as swing and blues. that set also contained music from John Lee Hooker, Johnny Ferreira, Boz Scaggs , Natalie Cole, amongst others who are most definitely Blues and Swing artistes.

It possibly did. As far as I knew it went "disco" (thought I would say it again since it gave you such a laugh last time) I hung around for 20-25 minutes and then went to the latin room for a while, popped my head back into the blues rooms to listen to what was on, decided to go into the main room for a while, popped back out to the blues room for anothoer listen. I then decided that my evening had turned to rat poo and I would go to sleep instead of hanging around for the odd scattered track that I did like. I knew Trampy was on later but once the adrenalin drops out of your system and you go "cold" then it is time to go to bed.

Fab to solo dance to but goodness it cleared the floor, you carn't MJ to it :sick: but who would want to :na:

If you can't MJ to it then why ask for it at an MJ event? Or was it just one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time but go down like a lead balloon leaving you alone on the dance floor to tough it out?

I do?

The statement from DD came as a surprise to me as well but since he was there at the time and I was tucked up in bed I had to take his word for it.

Since you have been at Uni I only get to hear Trampys sets at weekenders. My experience of them is that they are generally uptempo if he is playing in the main room and much slower and swingy in the swing and blues room espcially in the 2-6am slots. If on this occasion, someone says he was uptempo and swingy at 3am onwards I just have to take their word for it.

Of course it all depends on each persons idea of what constitutes "uptempo" and "swingy"

fletch
8th-January-2007, 06:44 PM
If you can't MJ to it then why ask for it at an MJ event? Or was it just one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time but go down like a lead balloon leaving you alone on the dance floor to tough it out?

absolutely right,:rolleyes: I seem to have a few of those moment don't I :blush:

I didn't know before I asked that you couldn't MJ to it,:what: I won't be asking for it again at a MJ event. :(

fletch
8th-January-2007, 06:45 PM
I would love to take you fletch tbh if I was in London I would be going somewhere else than the 100 club if i was going out clubbing after an MJ night. :wink:

blond moment :confused:

Dance Demon
8th-January-2007, 08:06 PM
The statement from DD came as a surprise to me as well but since he was there at the time and I was tucked up in bed I had to take his word for it.

Since you have been at Uni I only get to hear Trampys sets at weekenders. My experience of them is that they are generally uptempo if he is playing in the main room and much slower and swingy in the swing and blues room espcially in the 2-6am slots. If on this occasion, someone says he was uptempo and swingy at 3am onwards I just have to take their word for it.

Of course it all depends on each persons idea of what constitutes "uptempo" and "swingy"

I don't seem to recall using the word "uptempo" to describe Trampy's set ( or Peter Phillips' for that matter). I did use the word "swingy", which would include tracks by Dianna Krall, lou Rawls, The Swing Session, Indigo Swing. Perhaps Swingy Blues would be a better description. :rolleyes:

djtrev
8th-January-2007, 11:04 PM

06.Rhyze – “bizarr”

I have 3 or 4 Northern Soul albums but I thought I would check out some of your tracks in the list on iTunes.I could only find 2 of them.I will check out allofmp3 next.
If they are that hard to find then it's no wonder that you not likely to hear them at your average MJ night.

modchick
8th-January-2007, 11:57 PM
Ooh a soul/motown night sounds like fun, would be great for me to mix some of my fave styles of music with MJ dancing. :respect:

I go to a lot of different soul nights/all-nighters and weekenders (that are soul/60s/70s related not MJ) Would def interest me at a dance weekender - I could get away with wearing some funky 60s/70s dress at a MJ event and not look out of place :D

Hmm the list of songs have got me interested to pull out all my soul cds and see whats in my collection... will have to have a look :rolleyes:

Paul F
9th-January-2007, 12:42 AM
I have always found it difficult to classify what 'soul' is.
All I know is that, speaking from the point of view of someone who does a lot of WCS, I would like to dance to tracks if they were anything like the Atlantic Starr one mentioned above.
Excellent. :nice:

Andy McGregor
9th-January-2007, 12:58 AM
Obviously you know what your playing Andy but I am surprised at the comment about Northern Soul and Americans. I have never met an American who knows what the term Northern Soul applies to other than the soul music played in the north of our country. If you take a look at wikapedea this is the definition they give http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soulI don't think most people, including soul fans, from the USA know about the Manchester version of "Northern Soul". My comment refers to geography, as in, the soul music they made in the North of the country, that country being the USA.

To my ear, most Northern Soul isn't particularly melodic. It mostly seems to be about the beat, and possibly a bit about the lyrics. IMHO, somebody who has mostly been mainstream in their musical tastes is unlikely to enjoy Northern Soul without drinking 12 Pints of Newcastle Brown :whistle:

tsh
9th-January-2007, 12:57 PM
Not really my sort of music (I think) but I'd be happy if it were played in the main room. Don't think I'd like more than a few tracks at a time though.

TheTramp
9th-January-2007, 01:35 PM
Don't think I'd like more than a few tracks at a time though.

Yeah. No more than (say) 1. Per night! :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
9th-January-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah. No more than (say) 1. Per night! :rolleyes:And, I'm guessing here, played before you arrive at the venue?

TheTramp
9th-January-2007, 01:40 PM
And, I'm guessing here, played before you arrive at the venue?

Or when I need to go and get a drink....

Sheepman
9th-January-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't think most people, including soul fans, from the USA know about the Manchester version of "Northern Soul". Maybe not, but apparently "Northern Soul" still has a worldwide following. I think the Wikipedia definition is a good one -

Northern Soul refers to music and associated dance styles and fashions that were popular in the dancehalls of northern England, starting in the late 1960s.

In the beginning, the dancing was athletic, featuring spins, flips, and drops. The music originally consisted of obscure American soul recordings with an uptempo beat, very similar to and including Motown Records and more obscure labels (e.g. Okeh Records). By 1970, British performers were recording numbers for this market, and the scarcity of soul records with the required rhythm led to the playing of stompers, which were records by any artist that featured the right beat. The phrase northern soul was coined by journalist Dave Godin after a visit to the Twisted Wheel Club sometime around 1970 for his column in Blues and Soul magazine.

To my ear, most Northern Soul isn't particularly melodic. It mostly seems to be about the beat, and possibly a bit about the lyrics. :yeah:

But what is "Soul" music anyway? One definition I've heard is that it's "Music sung with soul" which doesn't tie it down much, and may explain why it means different things to different people. I would say I play a lot of music that has soul, but only occasional tracks that are soul music.

Greg

Andy McGregor
9th-January-2007, 03:12 PM
Maybe not, but apparently "Northern Soul" still has a worldwide following. I think the Wikipedia definition is a good one -
I've met a few Northern Soul fans. IMHO Northern Soul isn't particularly popular, it's just that the fans are particularly devout. They're a bit like Lindy Hoppers, there aren't many of them but they take up a lot of space when they dance and demand their special brand of music at events that aren't specifically for them. There are specific events for them and when they get together they have a brilliant time - but there would be a lynching if you tried to play something at one of their events that wasn't exactly right!

Anyway, back to the thread. I've sent a link to this thread to Franco so he can see how popular mainstream Soul & Motown is amongst a section of the modern jive market. IMHO the popularity of this genre is to do with our age group. For many of us the Motown sound was the backing music for our teenage years and early 20s. And now we're back out there and dancing we'd like to hear more of it.

But don't hold your breath. The last two times I've spoken with Franco about doing a Soul & Motown set at a weekender his response was, words to effect of "do you get a lot of people at your Soul nights. Maybe I could copy your format. Can I visit to see how it goes?"

Dai
9th-January-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm in no way a guru when it comes to classifying genres of music. But my parents love what they call motown, half of their cds however, are entitled soul something or other.

What i do know is this music when played at the venues i have been to is pretty much guaranteed to get people on the dance floor, and certainly seems to have an unlifting effect on the mood at venues. Its is one probably my fav type of music to dance too, and i totally agree that there should be more of it played. Not sure if i prefer the idea of a set time per night, or a room of it, possibly the room, so that if its too much and you need something a little slower/more mellow, ayou can chill out and then come back to it. Having said that not all the motown tracks are really fast, so i'm sure the tracks could be varied enough to have a whole room for just motown/soul. Bring it on!!!

Groovemeister
9th-January-2007, 06:02 PM
I have 3 or 4 Northern Soul albums but I thought I would check out some of your tracks in the list on iTunes.I could only find 2 of them.I will check out allofmp3 next.
If they are that hard to find then it's no wonder that you not likely to hear them at your average MJ night.

No you won't find these tracks readily available for download I am sure there are unscrupulous people who have copied them however there are a few comps with them on but some are vinyl only I am afraid.

OXO'S
9th-January-2007, 07:01 PM
Its great to here soul is played i always throw tracks in, and you know what i played two mowtown tracks together on monday night and a woman customer came up to me and said youve got your old head on tonight.
You just wont satisfy people i just said look at the floor it was buzzing:respect: Keep playing them:respect: :respect:

fletch
9th-January-2007, 07:10 PM
Its great to here soul is played i always throw tracks in, and you know what i played two mowtown tracks together on monday night and a woman customer came up to me and said youve got your old head on tonight.
You just wont satisfy people i just said look at the floor it was buzzing:respect: Keep playing them:respect: :respect:

:yeah:

do you have a young head :confused:

you sound like worzzzel gumage, :na: yes irs prob spelt wrong :blush:

StokeBloke
9th-January-2007, 07:29 PM
No you won't find these tracks readily available for download I am sure there are unscrupulous people who have copied them however there are a few comps with them on but some are vinyl only I am afraid.Is it unscrupulous to tansfer vinyl tracks to digital media if it stops them from vanishing for good?

Miguel
10th-January-2007, 01:10 AM
But what is "Soul" music anyway?

Soul music is black American dance music, recorded, produced and performed by black American artists (99.99% of the time). My definition hasn't changed over the years but these days there are so many different types of Soul. For example, Sky tv broadcasts several different Soul stations like 1Xtra BBC, Choice FM, smooth fm, Solar Radio, Galaxy, Kiss. They all play mainly black American dance music, ie. Soul but with very different styles. Because Soul music is PROGRESSIVE, another defining quality it has many more varieties than in the 60's. For a dj to play a successful set at a Ceroc venue all he has to do is listen to smooth fm or Heart FM (Fri/Sat eve) when they play "Club Classics" and repeat. No need to play obsure stuff that never charted in the UK and was danced to by 150 people in Wigan 35 years ago. Personally, I would love it if dj's would only play soul music at Ceroc venues. Of course it would be dismissed as disco or thump thump music by your rock fans types. Nuff said.

Andy McGregor
10th-January-2007, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the e-mail below. I will give it a trial at the following Camber event in April, as we have the spare venue on the side of the restaurant, where, last November, we ran the workshop clinic all day. Colin and I were in fact thinking as to what extra use could we make of that venue and so I think that the Soul & Motown opportunity could work well for you and for those who like that sort of music, without deducting anything from those who might not have the same inclination. As you can see, I am also copying Colin in this e-mail, so that he remember to invite you as a DJ for Camber in April.Watch this space! :clap:

Groovemeister
10th-January-2007, 10:50 AM
Is it unscrupulous to tansfer vinyl tracks to digital media if it stops them from vanishing for good?

To big a debate that one for this forum

Andy McGregor
10th-January-2007, 02:05 PM
To big a debate that one for this forumNothing's too big for this forum. Start a nice new thread and see what happens :wink:

drathzel
25th-January-2007, 01:28 AM
I play the snake- al wilson

i also play natalie cole, the elgins, the jacksons and other bands that have been listed. I suppose it depends on the dj

i would maybe go in the soul room for 30 mins a day, depending on the dancers in the room. i generally gravitate towards the blues room altho have been found in the latin and main rooms if i am looking to dance with a certain person or i want to dance with a different style, i suppose it would be another place for me to wander.

soulman
20th-May-2007, 07:33 PM
Good Stuff. I posted a simialr thread last year ("bit more Soul for the Northerners").

I would say I had a pretty good knowledge of music before I began going to Ceroc, however, since I have stuck at it I have been able to broaden my musical taste by being exposed to music I had never heard before that I do like now. For eg The Gotan Project, Various swing music, 'Heart attack and Vine' by...Screaming Jay Hawkin's ...I think? (or maybe it's Tom Waits?) amongst others.

To deny other cerocers the opportunity to hear some Northern track just because it may not "seem" mainstream is a wee bit exclusive. I would guess DJ's experiment with different music and would gauge how popular a song is before possibly playing it again. However, I would guess as well that a track they may play....again, could be influenced by there own personal preference a percentage of the time, rergardless if it get's people on the dance floor the first time it is heard. A bit like radio exposure to a song that "maybe aint all that good" (subjective I know) and is played constantly by a station and then people start humming it and tapping it because they've heard it so often.

Anyway, Soul music to me could be played more often at venues. There's all different types of Soul that could attract folk on the dance floor - Northern Soul, Southern Soul, Motown, Disco etc.

MY TOP TWENTY (10 just wouldn't do Soul justice) (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
1. Seven Day Lover - James Fountain (Great Northern Soul track - what a vocal!!)
2. Syreeta - I Wanna Be By Your Side (a Brilliant Slow number)
3. Ruby Andrews - Just Lovin' You ( Classic Northern Soul track)
4. Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You (Disco Classic)
5. Candi Staton - Young Hearts Run Free (Another Classic Disco track)
6. The Dells - Run For Cover (Northern Soul)
7. I Thought You Were Mine - The Natural Four (Northern Soul)
8. In The Basement - Sugar Pie Desanto and Etta James (R and B/Soul Classic)
9. Stevie Wonder - Fingertips (part 2) - (Motown)
10. Edwin Starr - 25 Miles (Soul classic)
11. Bobby Moore and The Rhythm Aces - Searching For My Love ('Chess')
12. Sugar Pie DeSanto - Soulful Dress (Chess classic)
13. Etta James - Something's Gotten Hold on me - (Brilliant R and B number)
14. Darrel Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You - (Northern Soul)
15. The First Time - Viola Wills (Northern Soul)
16. The Trammps - Disco Inferno (nuff said...)
17. Elmore James - Madison Blues (ok, some may say "Blues", however this song has def' got "Soul")
18. Aretha Franklin - Save Me (Soul Classic)
19. Little Milton - We're Gonna Make It ('Southern Soul' classic)
20. Smokey Robinson and The Miracles - I Second That Emotion (Motown)

Here's food for thought....why not put a questionairre to those attending classes re' what music they would like to hear more of? Or, is that giving the "Power To The People"?

Anyway, I don't think you would go far wrong with the selection above...and I could have done 3 times as much as that and the qualirty wouldn't waver that much.

Adios amigos

Miguel
20th-May-2007, 08:32 PM
Watch this space! :clap:

While your waiting:
BBC - Stoke & Staffordshire - Entertainment (http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/entertainment/music/northern_soul/index.shtml)
BBC Staffordshire - Mary Fox's Northern Soul & Motown (http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/music/northernsoul/)
BBC - Radio 4 - Woman's Hour -Northern Soul (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/2003_08_thu_04.shtml)

fletch
21st-May-2007, 01:17 AM
6. The Dells - Run For Cover (Northern Soul)

16. The Trammps - Disco Inferno (nuff said...)

Anyway, I don't think you would go far wrong with the selection above..

I could have done with these names last night at Hammersmith :worthy: