PDA

View Full Version : "Are you nuts??" (Pt. 1 in an occasional series)

Barry Shnikov
2nd-June-2005, 09:44 PM
Have a look at this.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005250380,00.html

Whaddaya think?

Lory
2nd-June-2005, 09:56 PM
Whaddaya think?
I think it's a load of B*****! :blush:

When I had a scan, we all laughed, as my daughter appeared to be laying on a perfectly formed deck chair! :rofl:

And NO, before anyone says anything, I didn't give birth to one! :na:

Gadget
2nd-June-2005, 10:25 PM
Count yourself lucky- one of mine looked like Homer Simpson in the ultrasound :what: :tears:
{He does appear to be "normal"... well, as norml as any offspring of mine would be :rolleyes:}

David Bailey
3rd-June-2005, 08:37 AM
??? :confused:

I can't even see the thing I'm supposed to see in the first place...

Purple Sparkler
3rd-June-2005, 10:40 AM
It's things like that that give us Christians a bad name. Honestly- who calls their daughter Aaliyah?

Tessalicious
3rd-June-2005, 10:44 AM
It's things like that that give us Christians a bad name. Honestly- who calls their daughter Aaliyah?

Um - thats my middle name actually :blush: (spelt differently though - Aliyah - does that redeem me at all?)

Purple Sparkler
3rd-June-2005, 10:49 AM
Um - thats my middle name actually :blush: (spelt differently though - Aliyah - does that redeem me at all?)

:blush:

But I'm guessing that you weren't named after a pop star. And you have a lovely first name (I'm assuming it's Tess or Tessa) which balances it out. :flower:

*and if I keep digging perhaps I'll get out of the hole!*

Actually, I've heard of much worse names. My Mum's a GP and does all the baby checks at her surgery, and she gets some real doozies. 'Klo-e' (sic) for example.

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-June-2005, 10:58 AM
It's things like that that give us Christians a bad name. Honestly- who calls their daughter Aaliyah?Aaliyah, or Aliyah, is a Hebrew word, meaning "going up", or ascending. I think it also has an Arabic derivation and meaning. The third wife of King Hussein of Jordan was called Alia. Personally I think it's a great name.

Who said the people concerned were Christian, anyway? (OK, apart from the fact that they're stressing over an image of Jesus....)

Robin
3rd-June-2005, 11:23 AM
Aaliyah, or Aliyah, is a Hebrew word, meaning "going up", or ascending. I think it also has an Arabic derivation and meaning. The third wife of King Hussein of Jordan was called Alia. Personally I think it's a great name.

Who said the people concerned were Christian, anyway? (OK, apart from the fact that they're stressing over an image of Jesus....)

Don't forget to explain how its used Mr !

ie to make Aaliyah !!!

Msfab
3rd-June-2005, 11:34 AM
Aaliyah, or Aliyah, is a Hebrew word, meaning "going up", or ascending. I think it also has an Arabic derivation and meaning. The third wife of King Hussein of Jordan was called Alia. Personally I think it's a great name.

The Ass would be correct! :clap:
Aliyah means 'person on high' in arabic!

Tessalicious
3rd-June-2005, 12:18 PM
Aliyah means 'person on high' in arabic!
Does that mean I should have a superiority complex? (I've always been told it meant 'path to enlightenment' in one form of Arabic or another)

The third wife of King Hussein of Jordan was called Alia.

Oh great, so now I'm destined to become a third wife. Knowing my track record, sounds about right, but still :what:

Purple Sparkler
3rd-June-2005, 01:05 PM
Bad and wrong, PS! Bad and wrong!

One of these days I'll be able to say something sensible. :sad:
Sorry again, Tessalicious. :flower:

It's not that it's not a nice sounding name, with a good meaning. It's more that my impression is that the daughter in question will not necessarily have been named with any thought given to this kind of thing.

*disappears into hole, never to come out again*

Tessalicious
3rd-June-2005, 01:11 PM
One of these days I'll be able to say something sensible. :sad:
Sorry again, Tessalicious. :flower:

It's not that it's not a nice sounding name, with a good meaning. It's more that my impression is that the daughter in question will not necessarily have been named with any thought given to this kind of thing.

Don't do that, that would be sad! I didn't take offence, and I didn't mean to get everyone started on a long rant about what the name means either, sorry!

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2005, 01:21 PM

And people will say - "where has the polite grace and style gone from the forum?"

The answer will be, shes gone into a hole to hide.

I have a digger and Im not afraid to use it :)

Purple Sparkler
3rd-June-2005, 01:25 PM
Don't do that, that would be sad! I didn't take offence, and I didn't mean to get everyone started on a long rant about what the name means either, sorry!

*comes out of hole again*

I do like the name, but being about as middle class and English as you can be, there's no way I could get away with naming my daughter Aaliyah, Aliyah, or any of the versions thereof.

Amelie would be about as adventurous as I could get away with, and even then I'd be dooming my daughter to a life of similar conversations to the ones I have all the time:

Salesman/Dance Partner/Anybody else in the WORLD: What's your name?
Me: Ellen
Them: OK, Helen/Eleanor/Elaine/Ellie/Ella...
Me *fumes*

What REALLY irritates me is the people who think that 'Ellen' is short for something, or a derivation of any of the above names. It's not. It is, in fact, a Celtic (I think- my Dad told me this) word meaning 'courage'. :mad:

Right. Rant over. I'm going back in my hole. Just for a while, until the blushing subsides...

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2005, 01:38 PM
Yes people assume too much with names. A dance friend who Ive not seen in ages now is called Gillian but pronounced with a hard G (like Gilligan) (i dont know how to actually spell it). When she was asked her name at a jive event and responded, her partner said 'oh how pretentious!' :)

CJ
3rd-June-2005, 01:48 PM
Am trying to persuade the misses that "Anakin" is a nice name for a boy, right now... :waycool:

(not that she's buying it!! :sick: )

If James is the middle name, am telling her that "AJ" works, but we shall see...

Rhythm King
3rd-June-2005, 02:11 PM
Am trying to persuade the misses that "Anakin" is a nice name for a boy, right now... :waycool:

But isn't Anakin derived from the name of a director whom George Lucas particularly admires? Ken Annakin directed parts of "The Longest Day" and "Battle of the Bulge", "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", "Swiss Family Robinson" and a host of movies fondly remembered from my childhood. I also remember at the time of the moon landings, that someone called their child "Lunar Module" - wonder whatever happened to him?
I went to school with a girl called Raine Shine (with the "e" pronounced as "-er"), so Anakin doesn't seem that bad really. Especially if you bring him up as a pod racer :wink:

R-K

Msfab
3rd-June-2005, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Tessalicious]Does that mean I should have a superiority complex? (I've always been told it meant 'path to enlightenment' in one form of Arabic or another)
QUOTE]

Well the arabic I know, your name means your something (female) that is high! But in the spirutual sense :innocent: ! Its a nice name to have!

Lou
3rd-June-2005, 02:19 PM
Hehe... and then, if (at any point in Junior's future) you need to suddenly break some important news about his paternity, you could just launch into a Kid Creole song.... :whistle:

Gadget
3rd-June-2005, 02:36 PM
know someone who spent a year trying to convince his wife that "Luke" was a good name for a boy - just so he could do the "Luke: I am your father".
{it came out a girl}

Purple Sparkler
3rd-June-2005, 03:19 PM
And people will say - "where has the polite grace and style gone from the forum?"

The answer will be, shes gone into a hole to hide.

I have a digger and Im not afraid to use it :)

Aww, shucks!

know someone who spent a year trying to convince his wife that "Luke" was a good name for a boy - just so he could do the "Luke: I am your father".
{it came out a girl}

You know, there are people who would have called the baby Luke ANYWAY.

I think the important thing to remember when naming kids is that in 5 years time, they will have to use the name you give them at school- so if Ikea or (and these are all genuine) Taj Mahal, Fashion Design, or Chlamydia seems like a good idea...
IT REALLY REALLY ISN'T

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-June-2005, 03:43 PM
*comes out of hole again*

I do like the name, but being about as middle class and English as you can be, there's no way I could get away with naming my daughter Aaliyah, Aliyah, or any of the versions thereof. Of course you could. Why on earth not?

Amelie would be about as adventurous as I could get away with, and even then I'd be dooming my daughter to a life of similar conversations to the ones I have all the time:

Salesman/Dance Partner/Anybody else in the WORLD: What's your name?
Me: Ellen
Them: OK, Helen/Eleanor/Elaine/Ellie/Ella...
Me *fumes*

What REALLY irritates me is the people who think that 'Ellen' is short for something, or a derivation of any of the above names.So why should you let *their* ignorance bother *you*? There are just *so* many more things to worry about in life...

Purple Sparkler
3rd-June-2005, 04:02 PM
So why should you let *their* ignorance bother *you*? There are just *so* many more things to worry about in life...

This is true, but then again it is my name. It's the only one I have (aside from the middle name, of course). It would be nice if people would get it right, and not assume I'm just dropping my 'h's.

As for why I couldn't get away with naming my daughter Aaliyah, you'd have to meet my parents- especially my Mum- to understand. The aforementioned GP thing and resulting history of seeing misnomered children is the problem. She's even had one kid on her books named Ruby Tuesday (first names)- and Mum didn't actually realise it was a song. When I told her she said "Oh! I just thought it was a really silly middle name".

Clearly what I need to do is become incredibly famous, and then I can name my kids whatever the hell I like, no matter how silly the name. Moon Unit Zappa anyone? Zowie Bowie?

Gadget
3rd-June-2005, 05:28 PM
"Logan Zara", "Zander Lore", "Zack Sirius"

Bangers & Mash
4th-June-2005, 06:19 PM
hmmm, I can see the resemblance.

But isn't that the little donkey he's curled up with? :what: