PDA

View Full Version : Salsa or salsa

JoC
2nd-June-2005, 04:22 PM
Does the name for salsa dip have any connection to the name for salsa dancing other than the word itself?

Lou
2nd-June-2005, 04:31 PM
Does the name for salsa dip have any connection to the name for salsa dancing other than the word itself?
Good question.

As Salsa is a kind of relish made with chopped up ingredients, it could well reflect that Salsa music is a blend of different musical ingredients like Latin Jazz & Rock.

Well - according to The online etymology dictionary (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=salsa), anyway....

Stuart
2nd-June-2005, 04:39 PM
According to the sleeve notes for my copy of the Rough Guide to Salsa CD:

"Literally the word salsa means 'sauce' or 'juice' and in Latin American musical circles it takes its origins from a cry of appreciation for a particuarly piquant or flashy solo. It was first used to describe a style of music in the mid-1970s, when a group of New York musicians overhauled the classic Cuban big-band arrangements popular since the mambo era of the 1940s and 50s. They set about reworking them into something tougher and more appropriate to their modern, integrated bicultural lifestyles. The salsa tag was coined by a Venezuelan radio DJ, so the myth has it, and it caught on."

Chicklet
2nd-June-2005, 04:59 PM
Does the name for salsa dip *desparately trying to think what move this is* :whistle:

David Bailey
2nd-June-2005, 05:00 PM
According to the sleeve notes for my copy of the Rough Guide to Salsa CD:
Any good?

"Literally the word salsa means 'sauce' or 'juice' and in Latin American musical circles it takes its origins from a cry of appreciation for a particuarly piquant or flashy solo. It was first used to describe a style of music in the mid-1970s, when a group of New York musicians overhauled the classic Cuban big-band arrangements popular since the mambo era of the 1940s and 50s. They set about reworking them into something tougher and more appropriate to their modern, integrated bicultural lifestyles. The salsa tag was coined by a Venezuelan radio DJ, so the myth has it, and it caught on."
Personally, I prefer this version (http://www.and123.co.uk/History.htm) of the history.

But yes, the name means "sauce" (ish), so the food name came before the music/dance name.

John S
2nd-June-2005, 05:12 PM
Thank goodness JoC asked about the salsa (dip) and not the shag (tobacco). :whistle:

JoC
2nd-June-2005, 05:12 PM
*desparately trying to think what move this is* :whistle:
It's the one where you take a sour cream and chive (or is it onion) pringle and insert into little jar of spicy red sauce then stuff (or pop) into gob, then repeat many times, I've been practising (note spelling to the word fun boffins) all afternoon in an attempt to perfect!!! And did I mention, I had cake too oh yes I did. :yum: Oh wait a minute... :sick:

JoC
2nd-June-2005, 05:15 PM
Funny thing to shout out in appreciation isn't it? Or is it?

Stuart
2nd-June-2005, 05:16 PM
Any good?

Personally, I prefer this version (http://www.and123.co.uk/History.htm) of the history.

But yes, the name means "sauce" (ish), so the food name came before the music/dance name.

Its OK, its a good introduction to Salsa/salsa music. I bought it when I first took up Salsa and didn't know very much about it.

I think I prefer this version as well.

It struck me after I wrote my earlier posting that we could have turned this thread into a version of "Call my Bluff"!

ducasi
2nd-June-2005, 06:05 PM
Funny thing to shout out in appreciation isn't it? Or is it? How about 'saucy', in a Barbara Windsor style? :wink:

JoC
2nd-June-2005, 06:12 PM
Hang on a minute, let me get me Babs wig on!

Oooooh saucy thing!

Yep, that works, it all makes sense now.