PDA

View Full Version : Email help

Minnie M
2nd-June-2005, 04:20 PM
Can anyone help please

I have been using a freeserve account for about 6 years now, I went over to BT Broadband at Christmas and in March of this year, my freeserve account was stopped (could not send/receive emails)

I rang their (Freeserve/Wanadoo) support number and they talked me through re-registering it, and said this had to be done every three months now as I am not using dial-up anymore. (i.e. re-register again in June)

Then......... I messed up my lap top (which is now dead) and had to buy a new laptop, tried to re-installed my freeserve account with great difficulty as they are now Wanadoo :( - in the end managed to be able to receive emails but not send :clap:

So........ I created a new email address from my web site (lyndaslist) - great :clap: success :clap: so now I can send via "lyndaslist" and still receive via freeserve

Today from this morning
I can't receive via freeserve :tears: tried to 're-register' as I did on my old lap top, but it said it would change my internet settings :tears:

confused :sad: Minnie Mouse

Any suggestions please :flower: other than emailing my address book to use the 'lyndaslist' address - and how can I retrieve the incoming 'freeserve' ones :tears:

Extra Note
Now I am extra confused - just checked my emails and I have lots of them via the freeserve account - what is happening :really:

Danielle
2nd-June-2005, 04:35 PM
hey sweet,

I too have a freeserve account, i can send and recieve emails but since they changed to wanadoo my address book doesn't work, i have to manually enter in addresses in order to send them, its highly annoying, I now have a yahoo account too, much easier!!!

Sorry i couldn't help more

Dan :hug:

Russell Saxby
2nd-June-2005, 07:41 PM
Hiya,

I had the same problem...I just gave up and switched to a btinternet.com email address - it was less agro

Russell x

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2005, 10:09 AM
The easiest way is just to use wanadoos webmail service from their front page, saves you trying to set it up in your mail client. Your account would still expire after 3 months but all you need to do to prevent that from happening is long on to wanadoo/freeserve at least once in that time using normal dial up.

if using a mail client such as outlook (yuck! :) )....

The sending mails bit is irrelevant - you can use btinternets smtp server for any mails you send, no need to worry if you can use freeserves server.

Receiving mails is different, your mail client needs to know what server to get it from. If you are told that something is going to"change your internet settings" its because you are being sent an .ins file that contains instructions for your browser/mail client etc.. you can save this to the desktop instead and read it with notepad and manually add extra info to outllook to stop it overwriting what you already use...but.... Why bother though when you can just use webmail?

you'll find all the settings here (http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/connection/freeservesettings.htm?linkfrom=help_email_moreemai lhelp&link=ChannelMenu_a_links&article=ConnectionSettings) - scroll down to "dial up" bit