PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Championships and Workshop Event

Gus
2nd-June-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, as I'm waiting for the comnnection in Singapore, thought I'd start a thread about this weekends big event .... well big event out here. Thought some people might be interested in what happens at the Champs and how the workshops go. I'll be focusing on who is who and I trust that Debster will report on who wears what and of course technical insight into the shoes worn. :wink:

Thw workshops promise to be awesome (will post a link to the workshop list when I get chance). Sifficeth to say its probably the greatest line up of instructors; Robert Cordoba, Mark Harding and Nicky Haslam all on the same bill aswell as the couple who were 3rd at Jive Masters! :grin: ..... oh and me and John Sweeny representing the UK :sick: must admit to feeling alittle out of my depth but it shoudl be great fun.

Anyway .. .touch down around Firday 10am NZ time, then its off to a Welcome Meal/Party that evening ... then time to sober up before the Champs Saturday night (specatating only) ... with the wrokshps all day Sunday and Monday, with a big party Sunday night.

Anyway .... hope to post something after the Welcome Meal.

Divissima
2nd-June-2005, 04:14 PM
Our man in the antipodes, eh? :waycool:

Send us details as you have them, Gus, and have a great time! :grin:

Will
2nd-June-2005, 04:21 PM
Gus,

It's still not to late to find a partner and win the Comp! Do it for Britain.

You Da MAN!

Feelingpink
2nd-June-2005, 05:11 PM
Thw workshops promise to be awesome (will post a link to the workshop list when I get chance). ...

Just checked on the workshop link here (http://www.ceroc.co.nz/champs/) and am hugely disappointed ... despite there being a fabulous photograph of your good self, there is very little room to have it autographed upon your return. :tears: :wink:

Robin
3rd-June-2005, 11:21 AM
Gus,

You Da MAN!

Sure Adam would be your partner !
hehehe

Gus
4th-June-2005, 02:57 AM
Gus,

You Da MAN!Ok ... let me draw a picture ... ina moment of madness I said to Debster .... if theres a place lets compete .... a nd she said YES! Hoever, thought I was safe as there were no spare slots .... then last night I danced like a Muppet on valium (or worse) ... ego and confidence really low (some AWESOME dancers at the Auckland club last night) ... hadn't finished workshop details so thought I would spend today (saturday) having a few relaxing drinks and wriring up notes .... was achieveing this aim wonderfully til about an hour ago when the Champs team call me to let me know they have a space. SO ... I'm now trying to sober up (and I had a fair few drinks), remeber how to dance, forget that I DONT DO competitions, and FIND Debster (she's gone shopping and wont answer her mobile)!! :really: :tears: :tears: This is live drama baby ... have 90 minutes to find Debster, find something to wear and get to the venue. Keep watching to see the next installment. :sick:

Chicklet
4th-June-2005, 09:11 AM
remeber how to dance, forget that I DONT DO competitions,
OK time for a poll to see if any of the forum member DIDN'T guess, this was exactly what would happen :rofl:

now stop talking PISH...... you remember what a BABE you have in front of you, you give her LOADS of space to show off her exceptional ladytime talents :drool: , (and her shoes of course :grin: ) and you think about all the men who will be soooo jealous watching, you get yer own fine hips in gear and you SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(oh maybe let her lead too :devil: )

good luck and for goodness sake, relax and just enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :kiss:

Tiggerbabe
4th-June-2005, 09:34 AM
now stop talking PISH...... you remember what a BABE you have in front of you, you give her LOADS of space to show off her exceptional ladytime talents :drool:
Well said, Miss Chicklet - you tell 'im :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck Gus and Debster :clap: :hug:

Lory
4th-June-2005, 10:58 AM
Good luck Gus and Debster :clap: :hug:

:yeah:
Go get em Gus!
:cheers:

Do it for your country!
:clap:
Make us proud!
:waycool: No pressure like :wink: :D

Feelingpink
4th-June-2005, 11:05 AM
Make us proud!
:waycool:

Gus and Debster have made it through to the final!

Lory
4th-June-2005, 11:11 AM
Fantastic news! :clap:

Gus
4th-June-2005, 02:40 PM
Ok Guys quick update before I carsh out (its nearly 2 am, I ahvent finsihed teh notes for tmorrows 10am workshops and my legs HURT!!!) .... So, Debster was stunning. without being a luvvie, she danced wonderfully and managed to get us thgrough to the Final. We didnt get placed (no surprise there) but we are both well chuffed to have got so far.

Re controvesy .... pleny! 4 Teams were disqualified for failure o follow the rules ... will let CerocMetro fill in the deatils.

Aside form that, the Best organised Comapetition I've ever been to. The only improvement would be to shoot the MC :rolleyes:

Cathc you guys later ..... need to get some beauty sleep for the Fettish Party tomorrow night :drool: :drool: :drool:

Lory
4th-June-2005, 02:48 PM
Ok Guys quick update before I carsh out (its nearly 2 am, I ahvent finsihed teh notes for tmorrows 10am workshops and my legs HURT!!!) .... So, Debster was stunning. without being a luvvie, she danced wonderfully and managed to get us thgrough to the Final. We didnt get placed (no surprise there) but we are both well chuffed to have got so far.

Re controvesy .... pleny! 4 Teams were disqualified for failure o follow the rules ... will let CerocMetro fill in the deatils.

Aside form that, the Best organised Comapetition I've ever been to. The only improvement would be to shoot the MC :rolleyes:

Cathc you guys later ..... need to get some beauty sleep for the Fettish Party tomorrow night :drool: :drool: :drool:
Anyone else think gus isn't lying when he says he needs to crash! :whistle:

Bless him! :hug:

Well done guys! :cheers: :worthy: :flower:

David Franklin
4th-June-2005, 02:54 PM
Gus and Debster have made it through to the final!Good on yer, Gus - guess we now know who to use as replacement teacher if Will/Kate are on holiday...

Dave :cheers:

Yliander
5th-June-2005, 08:55 AM
So, Debster was stunning. without being a luvvie, she danced wonderfully and managed to get us thgrough to the Final. We didnt get placed (no surprise there) but we are both well chuffed to have got so far. well done - a stirling effort

4 Teams were disqualified for failure o follow the rulesthe 4 teams were disqualified - based on the length of time breakaway dancing.

Minnie M
5th-June-2005, 12:11 PM
Go get em Gus!
:cheers:

Do it for your country!
:clap:
Make us proud!
:waycool: No pressure like :wink: :D

:yeah: :hug: :yeah: :worthy: :clap: :flower: :yeah:
(Even if you didn't win - we still luv ya)
WELL DONE - WE'RE PROUD OF YOU

Will
5th-June-2005, 12:42 PM
ARISE.... Sir Gus.
Bravery & Valour in the face of many a bloodthirsty Kiwi! Did anyone "Hakka" you to try and psyche you out before the final?

Debster, I need say nothing as I would expect nothing less from your excellent self! :flower:

Will
5th-June-2005, 12:42 PM
Who were the top 3 by the way?

Yliander
5th-June-2005, 01:31 PM
Who were the top 3 by the way?
Advanced A
1st - Louise and Adrian - Ceroc Melbourne
2nd - Julie and Jonathan - Sydney/?
3rd - Dana and Paul Tanuvasa - NZ

Advanced Open (Cabaret)
1st - Louise and Adrian - Ceroc Melbourne
2nd - Julie and Adam - CMJ Sydney
3rd - Dee and Hamish - Sydney

Feelingpink
5th-June-2005, 03:15 PM
ARISE.... Sir Gus.

Sir Gus? :rofl: I don't think so, judging by the phone call he's just made - giggling and calling loudly for chocolate from two fetish mistresses whilst being driven to a mystery location. :eek: Apparently there are also photographs in existence which could well kick off a fresh caption competition. Still, with it being about 4am NZ time, that gives him loads of time before his next workshop at 10am. All he has to do is get rid of the ropes and the TimTams ... :devil:

Andreas
5th-June-2005, 03:54 PM

Woohoo! :clap: :clap:

Did they give you credit for your high age or was Debster just blinding the judges? :rofl: :rofl:

Well done folkes!

Gary
6th-June-2005, 12:33 AM
Advanced A
2nd - Julie and Jonathan - Sydney/?
Both CMJ Sydney. :clap:

Debster
6th-June-2005, 03:20 AM
Wow! What a weekend!! :D :D :D

Thanks for all your support and congratulations guys! :flower:

Just got home from Auckland (couldn't stay for day 2 of workshops unfortunately)
What a memorable event?!!
I can hardly believe it!

:flower: Gus you are a marvel! :flower: (I'll be as much of a luvvie as I like...)

It was a great honour to get to the final of the top freestyle category with you... and a miracle to do it on one hour preparation!! It was not a comment on the standard of the event, as there was a huge number of truly excellent dancers there :worthy: , as you can see by the place-getters list for example. :worthy: It can only mean the judges did really emphasise musical interpretation over flashy moves (who would have guessed that down-under huh? :whistle: ) because we certainly didn't have the flashy moves... but boy, we did have fun! :D

Naturally the place-getters had both the flash and musicality and were totally awesome (for what part I saw of it all). Can't wait for the DVD... I didn't get to see Paul T dance all day but we certainly heard the applause.

I have some photos for you all... they just need a bit of editing. Stay tuned...

:hug: :clap: :hug: D

Andreas
6th-June-2005, 07:41 AM
It can only mean the judges did really emphasise musical interpretation over flashy moves (who would have guessed that down-under huh? :whistle: ) because we certainly didn't have the flashy moves... but boy, we did have fun! :D

It is NZ, not OZ ;)

Naturally the place-getters had both the flash and musicality and were totally awesome (for what part I saw of it all). Can't wait for the DVD... I didn't get to see Paul T dance all day but we certainly heard the applause.

Having seen Adrian and Louise at the Melbourne comp just a month ago, yes, they do have great musicality and also great moves.
Paul Tanuvasa and Dana are potentially the tidiest dancers at the whole event. However, their dance lacks a bit in definition (too smooth all the way through) to get them to the top. Certainly nice and impressive to watch.

Again, well done folks! True class and ability shows in situations like that! :flower:

cerocmetro
6th-June-2005, 09:07 AM
well done - a stirling effort

the 4 teams were disqualified - based on the length of time breakaway dancing.

If only things were that simple. The timing issue was one factor but there were others. THe whole Team fiasco is in the air at the moment and there have already been several meetings to try and resolve it. This will run for a while.

Debster and Gus were great and did us proud. They showed great MI and Debs well she was just Debs and that will always dazzle the judges :clap:

Adam

Yliander
6th-June-2005, 09:20 AM
If only things were that simple. The timing issue was one factor but there were others. THe whole Team fiasco is in the air at the moment and there have already been several meetings to try and resolve it. This will run for a while.these things are never as simple - what I reported came second hand - do I dare ask what other issues were involved?

Debster
6th-June-2005, 01:32 PM
Some pics as promised...

1. Our table at dinner Friday night, you'll recognise a few faces there...
2. Debster and Gus
3. The semi final - Mandy in red
4. Our supporters table from Christchurch (plus UK ring-in ;) ) and our Advanced B couple who also made the semi finals :D Does anyone remeber Tania from a few years ago?... used to dance a lot at Fulham I think.

Debster
6th-June-2005, 01:42 PM
My job as style and sparkle critic for the champs was compromised by competing but i did manage to get a photo of my pick for best costume... worn by a lovely girl called Michaela, unfortunately she didn't win the title (maybe she was disqualified for some obscure reason... :whistle: )

Personally I think butterfly tops have been done to death (probably because they never looked any good on me :sad: ) but it worked so well with her sparkly skirt, sparkly earrings and gorgeous long dark curly ponytail (sorry you can't see that) that I just had to ask her permission for a photo. :D

:kiss:
Debster

Donna
6th-June-2005, 01:45 PM
Yep, all the best gus. You don't have to worry...you got yaself a good partner there...but your a fantastic dancer too. Go and kick ass!! After all you deserve it after a tough year. Good luck.

:kiss:

Debster
6th-June-2005, 01:49 PM
Dear Gus,
Sorry mate... I know we have become good friends over the weekend :flower: and you tried to ask me not to do this... but there are some things that are just too precious not to share... :whistle:

This photo is at the Sunday night party. Gus did a great job as DJ but unfortunately crew weren't eligible for the fancy dress prize. :what:

Donna
6th-June-2005, 01:51 PM
Some pics as promised...

2. Debster and Gus
4. Our supporters table from Christchurch (plus UK ring-in ;) ) and our Advanced B couple who also made the semi finals :D Does anyone remeber Tania from a few years ago?... used to dance a lot at Fulham I think.
Hi Deb,

So you and gus got through to semi finals?? Who won???

Donna
6th-June-2005, 01:53 PM
Dear Gus,
Sorry mate... I know we have become good friends over the weekend :flower: and you tried to ask me not to do this... but there are some things that are just too precious not to share... :whistle:

This photo is at the Sunday night party. Gus did a great job as DJ but unfortunately crew weren't eligible for the fancy dress prize. :what:

OH MY GOODNESS....GUS!!!!! You know when i ask him when he's coming up North again, I'll make sure i'll print loads of copies of this pic...and stick them all over the venue!!!!! :rofl:

Debster
6th-June-2005, 01:54 PM
... and our Advanced B couple who also made the semi finals :D Does anyone remeber Tania from a few years ago?... used to dance a lot at Fulham I think.
Sorry... didn't mean Tania was competing, the competitive couple are Peter and Susie, but Tania is on the table and was there yelling and cheering as loud, if not louder than anyone else :flower:

Debster
6th-June-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Deb,
So you and gus got through to semi finals?? Who won???Hi Donna
We got through to the finals! :D The semi final pic was just a better photo.
See previous page of thread for the results.
Cheers,
Debster

Donna
6th-June-2005, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=Debster]Hi Donna
We got through to the finals! :D The semi final pic was just a better photo.
See previous page of thread for the results.
Cheers,
Debster

That's fantastic. Think you're a fab dancer by the way. I was watching the video of you and ste practicing...had a lot of good moves going there. However I think you should have won bristol.

Donna

Groovy Dancer
6th-June-2005, 04:19 PM
Some pics as promised...

2. Debster and Gus

:clap: :clap: Great pictures Debs, wished I'ved could of seen both of you dance. :whistle: :kiss: :hug:

Gus
6th-June-2005, 11:24 PM
This photo is at the Sunday night party. Gus did a great job as DJ but unfortunately crew weren't eligible for the fancy dress prize. :what:OK ... finally had more than 4 hours sleep for the first time since I've got here ... so quick update (have to escape Hotel in next 30 mins).

Compatition was a great experince ... my only regret is that I was so emgrossed in the wonderfull moves my partner was doing I forgot to take time out from our dancing to watch waht the other couples were going (well, there is no better place to see what the best dancers are doing than when you actualy on the same dancefloor with them :wink: ). Got to say I'm definitely ordering the DVD ... some GREAT dancing and Paul T is one of my dance heros ... always a delight to see the guy dance (helped by the fact his partner is both a wonderfull danecr and gorgeous :drool: )

Workshops went really well ... great fun. Didnt get to do any to do any of the other instructor's classes but what I saw was very impressive. Bit too much emphasis on aerials and drops for me but quality of teaching was very high. (Look out for details of Adam's "Simply Ceroc' weekender in Wellington in October ... similar good event).

Re the outfit for the Sunday night party .... well, a number of people yesterday asked me if I was at the party .... I said I was DJing . ..to which they replied, "didnt see you, only Steve (regular DJ) and some guy in the shorts" ... seems that no one seemed to look at my face .... what WERE they looking at?? :really: :sick: :eek: :sick:

BAD MOVE of the weekend was to forget my video camera for the Pary night ... some AWESOME dancing on a very packed floor. Nicky and Rob :worthy: did a great lindy freestyle to fast Lindy track I played late on (by mistake :blush: ) which brought them a huge round of applause ... really nice to see. ALso, came across a gorgeous new dancer, great figure, dangerous body rolls and movement, superb musical interpretation ... and only 15. :tears: :tears: Starting to feel really old.

Anyway, back late Wednesday then up to Southport at the weekend. See you guys there. :clap: :clap:

Andreas
6th-June-2005, 11:54 PM
ALso, came across a gorgeous new dancer, great figure, dangerous body rolls and movement, superb musical interpretation ... and only 15. :tears: :tears: Starting to feel really old.

I see you met one of my pupils :D Annabel does indeed magic body rolls and interprets music nicely. How did she do in the comp? Haven't heard from her yet. :tears:

Gary
7th-June-2005, 02:13 AM
...THe whole Team fiasco is in the air at the moment and there have already been several meetings to try and resolve it. This will run for a while.
I don't understand. Is there a chance those teams will be undisqualified?

Dazzle
7th-June-2005, 03:38 AM
Gus

Well done, like you said you prefer musicality over moves and it seems to have paid off for you and Debster in NZ! :worthy: How did you manage to acquire a partner like that? :drool:

Take care on the way back, you could run into trouble with Customs with a pair of legs like those my friend! Debster, don't let him inflict those shorts on all the innocents at Southport! PLEASE! :rofl:

cerocmetro
7th-June-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't understand. Is there a chance those teams will be undisqualified?

Unlikely, but there were two cases where a number of people agree that specific rules were not broken. I apologise for my lack of information but if anything breaks you will know.

THere have been emails flying around and more and more people seem to be getting invloved.

It would not be fair to take away a title from the winners but if it is the case that a mistake was made by the judges, then what should be done. ANy ideas coz I haven't got a clue.

Adam

Cruella
7th-June-2005, 12:49 PM
Gus

Well done, like you said you prefer musicality over moves and it seems to have paid off for you and Debster in NZ! :worthy: How did you manage to acquire a partner like that? :drool:

Take care on the way back, you could run into trouble with Customs with a pair of legs like those my friend! Debster, don't let him inflict those shorts on all the innocents at Southport! PLEASE! :rofl:

But they would be perfect for the HOT HOT HOT in RIO theme!! We'll just make sure we wear our sunglasses to dull down the damage to our eyes. :rofl:

Donna
7th-June-2005, 01:18 PM
Gus

See...that's the problem up north....not many people interpret the music, and that doesn't get you very far in competitions. Down south they focus more on that.

Debster
7th-June-2005, 01:43 PM
... Debster, don't let him inflict those shorts on all the innocents at Southport! PLEASE! :rofl:
Gus (and the shorts) are out my hands now I'm afraid... you'll have to fend for yourselves! :eek:
:waycool: Better get your sunnies on!! :waycool: :devil:

Dazzle
7th-June-2005, 05:23 PM
:waycool: Better get your sunnies on!! :waycool: :devil:

I have my trusty Ray Bans close by! :waycool: Thanks for the warning! :flower:

Julie G
8th-June-2005, 12:03 AM
Gus I saw you around all weekend and thought you must have been a local - great effort to get over there all the way from the UK! There certainly was a great mix of people there from various places around the world.

Gus
8th-June-2005, 12:59 AM
ALso, came across a gorgeous new dancer, great figure, dangerous body rolls and movement, superb musical interpretation ... and only 15. :tears: :tears: Starting to feel really old.
Forgot to mention the New Plymouth (?) bunch. Put forward a team of [/b]14 to 19[/b] year olds. They were great showing attitude, style and moves well beyond their young age. Great to watch and nice bunch as well. A real credit to themselves and their teacher. WHY CANT WE DO THIS IN THE UK???

Donna
8th-June-2005, 01:41 PM
Forgot to mention the New Plymouth (?) bunch. Put forward a team of [/b]14 to 19[/b] year olds. They were great showing attitude, style and moves well beyond their young age. Great to watch and nice bunch as well. A real credit to themselves and their teacher. WHY CANT WE DO THIS IN THE UK??? Beeeecause not many classes (especially up North) go into depth on how to do such and such a move with a bit more attitude and style that why. You did gus...that's what made you the best teacher up here!!!!! :worthy:

Dazzle
8th-June-2005, 02:25 PM
More like people reach a stage where they just don't or chose not to listen to the teacher or even participate in the classes at all because they think they know it all! :angry: It is especially frustrating when dancers say to you that the classes are too slow and they are not learning anything when you can clearly see from the stage they didn't get the move at all and in many cases still struggle dancing beginner moves correctly :sick: . Been here before and in many threads ....... :tears:

I think Gus is hinting more at getting people of their age through the doors to classes in the first place as well.

bigdjiver
8th-June-2005, 05:49 PM
...It would not be fair to take away a title from the winners but if it is the case that a mistake was made by the judges, then what should be done. ANy ideas coz I haven't got a clue.

AdamIn Soccer referees mistakes in awarding or disallowing goals can make a difference of millions of pounds to the teams involved. However, in all the time soccer has been going they have not been able to improve on the "referees decision is final" principle. I think it has to be "Learn. Move on."

Anna
9th-June-2005, 05:18 AM

Why thankyou Gus you're too kind :grin: :blush: assuming that was about me though... oh and i forgot to tell you that your workshop was awesome!! :clap:

I want to do nothing but blues now.. :worthy:

Donna
9th-June-2005, 01:29 PM
Hmmm...i do seem to notice people tend to stroll in after the beginners session...particularly those who are experienced (I'm one of em' I'll admit) A lot of people say that that's what makes the classes appear to be slow...because when you do know the moves and you go over and over them...i dunno...my legs start turning to jelly!!

I do however still take part in intermediates...but when you're preparing for the next competition (I'm sure many competiters do this) is disappear to focus on more advanced moves which help when they take it to the dancefloor within the last 45 mins or so left.

And you're right, it would be a good idea to get more youngstes involved up North.

Ste
9th-June-2005, 09:47 PM
I would like to do beginners classes but I am a legend for being a post nine o clock arriver.

Gus
10th-June-2005, 08:53 AM
For those that are interested, think Ceroc NZ will be putting up a web page so you can buy the DVDs of the competition. Worth it for the showcases alone.

Lynn
10th-June-2005, 09:06 AM
I would like to do beginners classes but I am a legend for being a post nine o clock arriver. Umm - wrong thread I think Ste - maybe try here? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=125559#post125559)

Feelingpink
10th-June-2005, 09:37 AM
You can go here (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/thor) for a link to photographs/slideshow of competition images taken by one of the dancers.

Feelingpink
10th-June-2005, 10:41 AM
And here (http://homepage.mac.com/enjoylife/PhotoAlbum10.html) for some champs images taken by Gus as well as some he took at Jango. You'll notice he is in some of them - these are the ones he didn't take, obviously. :wink:

Donna
10th-June-2005, 01:33 PM
You can go here (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/thor) for a link to photographs/slideshow of competition images taken by one of the dancers.
hmmm some good poses there.....only there aren't any of gus!!!!! :tears:

Andreas
10th-June-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks for those links! :nice: :clap:

Gus
12th-June-2005, 09:15 PM
hmmm some good poses there.....only there aren't any of gus!!!!! :tears:I think the one photo posted so far is FAAAAARRRR to much of Gus :blush:

Gadget
13th-June-2005, 09:51 AM
It would not be fair to take away a title from the winners but if it is the case that a mistake was made by the judges, then what should be done. ANy ideas coz I haven't got a clue.
- Courtesy entry into next years comp?
- Public letter of appology from he organisers explaining what happened and why?
- Collaboration with the next big comp to have the same teams compete against each other (perhaps at a discount/free)?
- If so, with discussion & agreement of the winners, put the title/tropy back up for winning (The winners don't actually loose it, it's just they held it for less than a year or won it twice in the same year)?

bigdjiver
13th-June-2005, 01:04 PM
People make honest mistakes, learn, move on.

cerocmetro
13th-June-2005, 10:05 PM
People make honest mistakes, learn, move on.

and if they are not honest mistakes?

MouthoftheSouth
13th-June-2005, 10:40 PM
and if they are not honest mistakes?

Sue and move on. :cool:

Or shut up and move on and get even later :angry:

Dazzle
14th-June-2005, 12:51 AM
I think the one photo posted so far is FAAAAARRRR to much of Gus :blush:

Not sure any more if those are shorts? Looking more and more like a micro mini skirt Gus! Mmmm!!!!! :rofl:

Julie G
15th-June-2005, 12:35 AM
Official NZ Champs photos are now up here:

http://ceroc.co.nz/champs/photos/index.php?spgmGal=cerocchamps2005