PDA

View Full Version : Weston Super Mare

Mary
1st-June-2005, 09:31 PM
Who's going and who's doing what?

Also if anyone needs accommodation there are still rooms available at the Premier Travel Inn. We stayed there last year and it's a very short drive to the Winter Gardens. The weekend rate is £49.95 per room per night, and you can cancel right up to the day of arrival with no charge.

M

philsmove
1st-June-2005, 09:43 PM

M
definate maybe

Lou
1st-June-2005, 10:11 PM
Dammit Mary! You beat me to my traditional annual thread! :wink:

Am definitely going to watch. I still haven't decided whether to enter DWAS yet.

It'd be fantastic (as ever) to see forumites come down to visit us...

Mary
1st-June-2005, 10:20 PM
Dammit Mary! You beat me to my traditional annual thread! :wink:

Am definitely going to watch. I still haven't decided whether to enter DWAS yet.

It'd be fantastic (as ever) to see forumites come down to visit us...

Ooops. Sorry. Perhaps you could ask a moderator to delete the thread and make way for the traditional one. :blush:

M

Lou
1st-June-2005, 10:31 PM
Ooops. Sorry. Perhaps you could ask a moderator to delete the thread and make way for the traditional one. :blush:

M
Nooo! I was kidding with you. Sorry! :hug:

It just made me realise how long I've been on the forum..... ;) And besides, Gordy did last year's....

Divissima
2nd-June-2005, 12:44 PM
MWell, I wasn't planning to go but then I received a rather intriguing offer.... so I'm giving it some serious thought :grin: Would be cool to see Lou again after all this time :flower:

Purple Sparkler
2nd-June-2005, 01:16 PM

Also if anyone needs accommodation there are still rooms available at the Premier Travel Inn. We stayed there last year and it's a very short drive to the Winter Gardens. The weekend rate is £49.95 per room per night, and you can cancel right up to the day of arrival with no charge.

M

Weston Super Mare? :confused:

Lou
2nd-June-2005, 02:30 PM
Would be cool to see Lou again after all this time :flower:
Ditto! It's be great to see you (and the lovely TWK, too, of course)....

I'm hesitant to put a link on because, of course, I do maintain Sherif's website - although (I hasten to add), I'm not really affiliated to LeRoc2000 (except that I dance there, and act as substitute teacher every now and again, and they're all very good mates....), and I don't want to bring down the wrath of the moderators (particularly following Adam's example.... :whistle: )!

W-S-M. It's what used to be called the Bristol competition. It's happening on 23rd July (pre-comp dance on Friday 22nd). Usual categories. All at the lovely Winter Gardens in Weston.

Anita
4th-June-2005, 11:03 AM
I've just sent off for my tickets.

I love this venue - very beautiful and a great floor.

I just hope I get a chance to practice with dale, he is so busy studying I've only danced with him once since the champs. Though maybe my car breaking down had more to do with it :tears: Exams are next week - good luck dale.

Anyone doing the Salsa? I'm thinking about it.

DavidY
4th-June-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm hesitant to put a link on because, of course, I do maintain Sherif's website - although (I hasten to add), I'm not really affiliated to LeRoc2000 (except that I dance there, and act as substitute teacher every now and again, and they're all very good mates....), and I don't want to bring down the wrath of the moderators (particularly following Adam's example.... :whistle: )!Was looking for the link that Lou didn't post and found this one:
http://leroc.net/leroc2000/Championship/index.htm

However the "Packages" link talks about a weekend in 2004 - is this the right site?

Lou
4th-June-2005, 12:23 PM
However the "Packages" link talks about a weekend in 2004 - is this the right site?
Tut. Bad Lou.

Thanks David - have updated the page. :)

Sheepman
6th-June-2005, 01:05 PM
I've just sent off for my tickets. I'll get round to it soon too...
And at last, a chance to give you back your medical supplies you lent me at the champs!

I won't be staying for the weekend though, as when the dancing finishes, I'll be heading straight for the Isle of Wight for Beach Boogie. As long as I'm there by 5a.m., there should be the chance for a few more dances before bed. Anybody else mad enough for that?

Greg

RoyBoy
6th-June-2005, 01:35 PM
Anyone from North of the border making the trip south for this event?

Lou
27th-June-2005, 06:24 PM
So - Southport & MJC are now over... Who's coming down to visit? :nice:

Paul F
27th-June-2005, 07:24 PM
Sounds tempting. Can i get a bit more info on the weekend please ?

Is the Friday night in the same venue as the comps on the Sat?
Whats the start/finish times on the Friday?
Is it just the one room or more for the different styles?

The Saturday plan says "competition + freestyle". How much freestyle is timetabled in and is there much chance of achieving it? :)
Is the glitter ball more than one room?

Can you take drinks into the venue?

Lastly, is there anything happening in the surrounding area (well anywhere between WSM and Manchester :D ). Would love to make it a HUGE weekend.

Hope someone can help.

philsmove
27th-June-2005, 10:23 PM
Hope someone can help.

I only went on the sat last year

There is only one dance floor its one of the best in the area- its big smooth and sprung
http://www.thewintergardens.com/

There was plenty of opportunity for free style

I think you can bring your own drinks but there was no need - the bar was sensibly priced and water was free

Lastly http://www.visitbristol.co.uk/

Paul F
27th-June-2005, 11:27 PM
I only went on the sat last year

There was plenty of opportunity for free style

I think you can bring your own drinks but there was no need - the bar was sensibly priced and water was free

Lastly http://www.visitbristol.co.uk/

Excellent, that sounds good. Thanks.

Mary
28th-June-2005, 12:01 AM
Paul F you MUST come - it would be great to see you there and there are lots of dances to catch up on!! And, I loved this venue last year - it has lots going for it. :cheers:

M

Paul F
28th-June-2005, 12:28 AM
Paul F you MUST come - it would be great to see you there and there are lots of dances to catch up on!! And, I loved this venue last year - it has lots going for it. :cheers:

M

I hope i can make it. It would be so good to catch up on those dances. :wink:
The trouble is I have the big Daventry dance on the 9th, possibly the Ashtons/Hammersmith combo on the 15th+16th and then it would be the champs the week after.

I would clock up some serious mileage in my car this month! :grin:
I will see who I can rope into coming with me from the NW/Yorkshire area to keep me company. The venue alone sounds worth the drive!

Cruella
28th-June-2005, 08:32 AM
The trouble is I have the big Daventry dance on the 9th, possibly the Ashtons/Hammersmith combo on the 15th+16th and then it would be the champs the week after.

I will see who I can rope into coming with me from the NW/Yorkshire area to keep me company. The venue alone sounds worth the drive!

Ooh, make sure you grab me for a dance at Daventry, just ask who Di is and you should find me. I will be with most of the ceroc crew/ teachers so if you know them won't be hard to find each other. Would be great to meet you. :clap:

Paul F
28th-June-2005, 12:03 PM
Ooh, make sure you grab me for a dance at Daventry, just ask who Di is and you should find me. I will be with most of the ceroc crew/ teachers so if you know them won't be hard to find each other. Would be great to meet you. :clap:

Would be great to meet you too :hug:
I have a sneaky feeling i might know who you are :nice:
I will look forward to Daventry. Really enjoyed it last time.

ElaineB
28th-June-2005, 12:08 PM

It is, trust me!!! Also, you will get to meet some of the lovely lasses from the West Country!!!

Elaine

Paul F
28th-June-2005, 02:59 PM
It is, trust me!!! Also, you will get to meet some of the lovely lasses from the West Country!!!

Elaine

Who could refuse an offer like that :grin:

ElaineB
16th-July-2005, 12:29 PM
So, a week to go........how many others are coming down to sample the delights of sunny Weston?? The donkeys have been fed and watered and are raring to go........... :waycool:

Anyone putting in a team?

Elaine

philsmove
16th-July-2005, 02:13 PM
So, a week to go........how many others are coming down to sample the delights of sunny Weston?? The donkeys have been fed and watered and are raring to go........... :waycool:

Anyone putting in a team?

Elaine
CU there :clap: :hug: :clap:

clevedonboy
17th-July-2005, 10:38 PM
Mrs Wiggle & I will be at the ball - Got my DJ cleaned, new dress shirt & bow tie (with silver sparkles) I'm hoping for a drop in the temperature - sorry if anyone's on holiday

DavidY
24th-July-2005, 09:24 AM
So who won what? :impatient smiley:

under par
24th-July-2005, 09:26 AM
So who won what? :impatient smiley:

Yeah come on Weston wheres our results??? :whistle:

ElaineB
24th-July-2005, 09:49 AM
Forgive me for forgetting names and getting things wrong, but here goes!!!

Aerials:

1st - Mary and Tony

Showcase:

1st - Phil and Yuko
2nd - Will and Kate
3rd - Simon and Elaine (from Bristol)

Open:

1st - Phil and Yuko
2nd - Will and Kate
3rd - Keith and Lucy(?)

Advanced:

1st - Tom and Vick (from Cheltenham)
2nd - Matt and Becki (from Bristol)
3rd Stevie Wong and partner

DWAS:

1st - Simon Rich and Leslie (Easter Bunny - from Bristol!)
2nd - ?
3rd - ? and Beckie (from Bristol)

Seniors

1st - Nick Britton and Leslie (from Bristol)
2nd - Sue and Garth (from Bristol)

Intermediates:

1st ?
2nd ?
3rd - Mark and Lizzie (from Bristol)

The Open was like watching a master class - we had Simon Rich and his partner immediately in front of us, with Keith and partner and Will and Kate in our line of vision. Absolutely awesome Guys, awesome!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Elaine

Minnie M
24th-July-2005, 10:05 AM
thanks Elaine :hug:
Well done to all the winners
:clap: :clap:

What's this 3rd - Simon and Elaine (from Bristol)
Well done :clap: :cheers: :worthy:

Keith and Lucy
Is that Kerren & Lucy from Ginger Jive ? They have also won the double trouble at Blackpool & London - lovely couple

ElaineB
24th-July-2005, 12:20 PM
thanks Elaine :hug:
Well done to all the winners
:clap: :clap:

What's this 3rd - Simon and Elaine (from Bristol)
Well done :clap: :cheers: :worthy:

Keith and Lucy
Is that Kerren & Lucy from Ginger Jive ? They have also won the double trouble at Blackpool & London - lovely couple

Ahhh, thanks Minnie - we are dead chuffed!!!

Not Kerran - Keith from Chance two dance - absolutely fabulous! :worthy:

Elaine

Cruella
24th-July-2005, 12:28 PM
Ahhh, thanks Minnie - we are dead chuffed!!!

Not Kerran - Keith from Chance two dance - absolutely fabulous! :worthy:

Elaine
Was Keith not dancing with Victoria?

Ste
24th-July-2005, 12:39 PM
It was Keith ( ex Chance 2 Dance) and Vicky, our Northern heroes.( I told Vicky a year and half ago, when she had only danced just over a year, that she would become one of the country's best modern jive dancers and I was right).

Also Mr ( "I may be Scouse but I won't rob your house....honest") Wong was accompanied by Donna Lloyd of North Wales.

Cornish Pixie
24th-July-2005, 11:59 PM
DWAS:

2nd - ?

I think it was

1st simon rich and leslie
2nd ? and beckie
3rd Tom (cheltenem) and sarah (EXETER!!!)

double trouble 1st - Phil Payne (EXETER!!), PJ Emmett (EXETER!!) Sarah (EXETER!!)

Salsa

1st - ?
2nd - Kieran and PJ Emmett (Both EXETER!!)

Don't know much about salsa but it seemed to me that the better couple lost??Did anyone else think this or am i just biased!

The open was amazin and i was loving your showcase Elaine, well worth the practice!Dont quite understand why you didn't get through in the advance, your musicality was second to none! :worthy:

Will need more than half a dance next time i see you!

Cornish Pixie
25th-July-2005, 12:03 AM
I found dwas one of the most entertaining, the pairing seemed to make for tough heats, then again i may be trying to make myself feel better about being knocked out in the quarters! :sad: :sad:

ElaineB
25th-July-2005, 07:21 AM
DWAS:

2nd - ?

I think it was

2nd ? and beckie

double trouble 1st - Phil Payne (EXETER!!), PJ Emmett (EXETER!!) Sarah (EXETER!!)

Salsa

1st - ?
2nd - Kieran and PJ Emmett (Both EXETER!!)

Don't know much about salsa but it seemed to me that the better couple lost??Did anyone else think this or am i just biased!

The open was amazin and i was loving your showcase Elaine, well worth the practice!Dont quite understand why you didn't get through in the advance, your musicality was second to none! :worthy:

Will need more than half a dance next time i see you!

There you are you see, knew I had forgotten something!!! Apologies to those from Exeter. I didn't see the DT, so didn't know what had happened, but should have remembered the prize giving! Oops! :blush:

Re the Salsa, yes, we also thought the placings were the wrong way 'round, but then, we do not do Salsa, so perhaps there was something happening that we didn't understand?

Thanks for your comments about the Advanced - we did make the finals, but the young 'uns from Cheltenham and Bristol just seem to be unstoppable! :D

More than half a dance? Most certainly!! I seemed to employ my second favourite past-time after the prize giving - talking - don't think I made it back onto the dance floor after that!

Hope we may see you in Bristol again very soon! Such a talented dancer should not hide in Cornwall for too long! :hug:

Elaine

marty_baby
25th-July-2005, 09:16 AM
Ariels champs?!?!?! Well done Mary! :hug:

And a big pat on the back for all the contestants for stepping up to the plate. I really wish I was there for Sat, would have loved to have dance with you all again!

I'll be in London in 2 weeks, so maybe a dance at Hammersmith on the Monday? :nice:

Best wishes all

Martin
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bex
25th-July-2005, 10:26 AM
Ariels champs?!?!?! Well done Mary! :hug:

:yeah: Fantastic news Mary & Tony, you've done it again!!! Excellent stuff.

Well done to all the contestants at WSM especially Simon and Lisa who came fourth in the Open, I heard you danced beautifully :worthy:

Anyone got any piccies for those of us who couldn't make it???? :flower:

Cornish Pixie
26th-July-2005, 01:00 AM
Re the Salsa, yes, we also thought the placings were the wrong way 'round, but then, we do not do Salsa, so perhaps there was something happening that we didn't understnd.

Thanks for your comments about the Advanced - we did make the finals, but the young 'uns from Cheltenham and Bristol just seem to be unstoppable! :D

Hope we may see you in Bristol again very soon! Such a talented dancer should not hide in Cornwall for too long! :hug:

Elaine

was there any salsa buffs at weston that could shed light on the subject?

I don't even know any of the youngsters, but i felt a strong sense of pride that there was such a strong representation of them in the comp!Did you see the guy in intermediate with the red braces, couldnt take my eyes off his legs, they had a mind of their own!

Not hiding, just stranded, seeing as i cant drive! :)

Happy B
26th-July-2005, 01:34 AM
[QUOTE=thewurlitzerrocks]

DWAS:

2nd - ?

I think it was

2nd ? and beckie

[QUOTE]

Yep we came second not third in DWAS. no one has posted his name, which i feel kinda bad about cos he was such a lovelly dancer. His name was Andy, though i cant remember his last name or where he was from (hes a tacher though and competed in the open, with a very pretty petite blonde girl) He won the Intermediates last year in WSM with a different girl called Jane.

Just thought I'd post that up to give him some credit.

B

:D :D :D

DavidY
26th-July-2005, 08:19 AM
Yep we came second not third in DWAS. no one has posted his name, which i feel kinda bad about cos he was such a lovelly dancer. His name was Andy, though i cant remember his last name or where he was from (hes a tacher though and competed in the open, with a very pretty petite blonde girl) He won the Intermediates last year in WSM with a different girl called Jane.Was it Andy Smedley? If so he's recently started teaching in Ceroc Central (he's very good :worthy: ).

Lou
26th-July-2005, 09:02 AM
Was it Andy Smedley? If so he's recently started teaching in Ceroc Central (he's very good :worthy: ).
Yup. That's the chappie. :grin: :clap:

Happy B
26th-July-2005, 11:02 AM
Was it Andy Smedley? If so he's recently started teaching in Ceroc Central (he's very good :worthy: ).

Yup thats him

B

DavidY
26th-July-2005, 01:37 PM
BTW Who won the Intermediates? (Couldn't find it in the posts above.)

Happy B
26th-July-2005, 06:30 PM
The same couple that came 3rd in Air Steps i think

B

ElaineB
26th-July-2005, 07:22 PM
Hasn't Lou got the whole results section??? There are photos by the way, the Bristol Evening Post were there and Raymond and his partner Sharon feature big time. Also some peeps known as Mary and Tony! I know that Ian took some as well, so hopefully someone will post something soon! :clap:

Elaine

Dazzle
27th-July-2005, 12:46 PM
It was Keith ( ex Chance 2 Dance) and Vicky, our Northern heroes.( I told Vicky a year and half ago, when she had only danced just over a year, that she would become one of the country's best modern jive dancers and I was right).

Also Mr ( "I may be Scouse but I won't rob your house....honest") Wong was accompanied by Donna Lloyd of North Wales.

Well done you guys :cheers: ! FINALLY the North West is starting to get plotted on the competition success map. Lets build on this for the future. I will try, once I get a partner :tears: !

Lou
27th-July-2005, 12:59 PM
Hasn't Lou got the whole results section???
Not yet. :( Sherif forgot to bring them with him to Yate last night. And he's on lates today, so I'm waiting for an e-mail, probably tomorrow. Still waiting for the photos, too. But as soon as I have them, you'll be the first to know. :D

BTW, Sharon had no idea she'd appeared in the paper - her face was a picture when she saw it last night! :D

Cruella
27th-July-2005, 02:42 PM
Well done you guys :cheers: ! FINALLY the North West is starting to get plotted on the competition success map. Lets build on this for the future. I will try, once I get a partner :tears: !
You're now going to get inundated with offers from potential competition partners. Please put me on the list :whistle:

Lou
28th-July-2005, 09:36 AM
Hasn't Lou got the whole results section???
Well, I now have a quickly written rushed e-mail from the man himself. I need to fill in the surnames & tidy it up a bit before it goes on the website - but this is what I have so far:

DWAS: 1ST SIMON & LESLEY
2ND Andrew Smedley & Becki Rendall
3RD Tom Barker & Sarah Johnson

INTERMEDIATES: 1ST Chris Burch & Emma Clark
2nd Clarence Taylor & Elaine hleks
3rd Mark Jones & Liz Drewitt

ADVANCED: 1ST Tom Barker &Vicki
2nd Becki Randell & Matt Kavanagh
3rd Donna & Steve

SENIOR : Nick Britten & Lesley Wyrill
2nd Garth Loxton & Sue Haliday
3rd Alan Ponces & Debarah Ponces

AERIALS: Tony Maguire & Mary Kyte
2ND Chris Burch & Emma Clark
3rd Howard Temple & Nicola Chappel

SALSA:1st Neil van Raalte & Aein Flirst
2nd Kieran Harper & PJ Emmett

SHOWCASE: Phil Webb & Yuko Kamia
2nd Will & Kate Hargreaves
3rd Simon & Elaine

OPEN: Phil & Yuko
2nd Kate & Will
3rd Victoria & Keith

(Actually, any help on surnames, etc. gratefully received :flower: )

Happy B
31st-July-2005, 10:18 PM
theres a spelling error in mine :D

you got the DWAS and the Advanced result wrong, even though they are both spelt differently.

:D :D :D :D

B