PDA

View Full Version : Obessive Compulsive Dancing Disorder

wicked blue
31st-May-2005, 06:40 PM
News flash!! A new disorder has been discovered, also known as 'OCDD' :eek:

How many of you out there can identify with such a thing??

I can't go more than a few days without dancing otherwise i end up going through cold turkey from the withdrawals!! - i have to have my fix!!

So.. is it the longer you've been dancing the more addicted you become?

Or do you reach a time when the novelty fades??? .... it hasn't happened for me yet!! :clap:

philsmove
31st-May-2005, 06:53 PM
Yes it fades, but as Woody Allen says “…… does not bother me I just don’t want to be there when it happens “

Minnie M
31st-May-2005, 07:01 PM

I can't go more than a few days without dancing otherwise i end up going through cold turkey from the withdrawals!! - i have to have my fix!!

Or do you reach a time when the novelty fades??? .... it hasn't happened for me yet!! :clap:

OK now I know you have OCDD I will forgive you for hi-jacking my dance with Sheepy at Greenwich :whistle:

I think I have it too, but only a mild form, am taking the pills and they seem to be working :whistle: :innocent:

Tessalicious
31st-May-2005, 07:06 PM

I think anyone who knows me at all would definitely say that I have this, that I have had it since about a week after I started, that it has been getting worse and that the progression shows no sign of slowing down...

Oh well, guess I'll just have to buy more shoes when the old ones wear out, and keep dancing. I'm sure when I get to the stage of regularly dancing 7 nights a week plus tea dance it'll plateau, but I've never heard of an addiction that goes away, so all us OCDD sufferers are probably stuck with it for life (or until serious injury slows us down a bit). Meanwhile - enjoy! :cheers:

TheTramp
1st-June-2005, 12:43 AM
Heh. I think I've got it. Maybe....

I decided to cut back a couple of weeks ago, and only go dancing when I was teaching and/or DJing. The first week after I decided this, I ended up dancing on 10 separate occasions!! :whistle:

Purple Sparkler
1st-June-2005, 10:08 AM
I KNOW I've got it. 5 dances in a week is absolutely nothing to me now- and in fact I've just realised that it WILL be 5 dances by the end of this week what with the Beach Party on Monday, my classes, and the Tea Dance. And I'm sure even Monster Jive Cocktail won't wear me out.

What scares me is how much it's costing me. I really need to get my Taxi stripes soon!

wicked blue
1st-June-2005, 06:51 PM
OK now I know you have OCDD I will forgive you for hi-jacking my dance with Sheepy at Greenwich :whistle:

I think I have it too, but only a mild form, am taking the pills and they seem to be working :whistle: :innocent:

So there are pills out there huh!! - Not sure i'd like to take them, only because i'm enjoying this addiction far too much!!

wicked blue
1st-June-2005, 06:55 PM
Heh. I think I've got it. Maybe....

I decided to cut back a couple of weeks ago, and only go dancing when I was teaching and/or DJing. The first week after I decided this, I ended up dancing on 10 separate occasions!! :whistle:

Ten's a pretty good number and yo u definately qualify for this disorder!! , but i hear from Spice and Easy (if my memory serves me correctly!) that he did seventeen nights on the trot!! Anyone beaten that??? :na:

Gadget
1st-June-2005, 10:22 PM
Tramp - :whistle:

Donna
2nd-June-2005, 01:13 PM

Or do you reach a time when the novelty fades??? .... it hasn't happened for me yet!! :clap: I've MOST DEFINATELY got it!!! I have to dance everyday otherwise i'll go nuts!! I believe it gets more addictive as you become more experienced because when you starting getting the hang of it from being a beginner, you don't want to stop. I've been dancing two 1/2 years and I've never had a moment when you feel like giving up... no way. I guess when I hit 70 odd i'll be doing tea dancing!!! :rolleyes:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
2nd-June-2005, 01:28 PM
Think I might have it...
Does the fact that I was relieved that my holiday was (coincidentally) going to fit around Ceroc mean anything?... :whistle:

Dizzy
2nd-June-2005, 01:49 PM
Think I might have it...
Does the fact that I was relieved that my holiday was (coincidentally) going to fit around Ceroc mean anything?... :whistle:

OK, now I know I have been inflicted with OCDD.
I didn't just book my holiday to fit around my ceroc schedule - I have booked a ceroc holiday so that I can dance on holiday too!!!! :D

Plus the fact that I also dance at least 3-4 nights a week.

I should be strapped up and wheeled away.....there is no possible cure, is there!!!! :na:

bigdjiver
2nd-June-2005, 03:03 PM
.....there is no possible cure, is there!!!! :na:I hope not, but I do remember one of my old favourite cartoons, with a mummy bug and daddy bug lloking down sorrily at their sick offspring saying "Will they ever find a cure for penicillin?", and, alas, they do seem to have done so.

Spice 'n' Easy
2nd-June-2005, 10:21 PM
Ten's a pretty good number and yo u definately qualify for this disorder!! , but i hear from Spice and Easy (if my memory serves me correctly!) that he did seventeen nights on the trot!! Anyone beaten that??? :na:

That's true, 17 days in a row. I think i have it bad :sick:

As a matter of interest has anyone else found themselves unconsciously bringing their dance into their daily lives?

I entered a meeting the other day with the song 'Latin Lover' still running through my head, went to shake the hand of my colleague and promptly pulled her into a sway. :blush:

I have never been so embarrassed in my life ( well apart from being caught by my boss practicing double spins in the work toilets :eek: )

Can anyone identify with this or have I just got the ultimate case of OCDD??

Gojive
2nd-June-2005, 11:21 PM
As a matter of interest has anyone else found themselves unconsciously bringing their dance into their daily lives?

I entered a meeting the other day with the song 'Latin Lover' still running through my head, went to shake the hand of my colleague and promptly pulled her into a sway. :blush:

LOL! That'll take some beating I think! :waycool:

I have never been so embarrassed in my life ( well apart from being caught by my boss practicing double spins in the work toilets :eek: )

I often practice drops in the toilet :whistle: :na:

TheTramp
2nd-June-2005, 11:26 PM
Beginner you are young paduan :rolleyes:

Tramp - :whistle:
And yes, Gadget is right. (First time for everything :flower: )

That wasn't 10 nights in a row, but 10 separate times dancing in a 7 day week... :whistle:

And for the record, I've danced on 46 consecutive days :cheers:

Lory
2nd-June-2005, 11:27 PM
5-6-7-8??? :what: :rofl:

wicked blue
4th-June-2005, 09:56 AM
That's true, 17 days in a row. I think i have it bad :sick:

Well that certainly has made my day!!!! Very funny Spice n Easy!!! :rofl: I have to say i've still yet to do that one, so you must have it bad....

LMC
4th-June-2005, 11:58 PM
I first ventured out on 11 May (disaster, "fun" class was way too advanced), then went on a workshop, then checked out local venue. That was it until this week....

And this week is probably a sign of things to come... local venues Weds & Thurs, (local) ballroom & salsa class on Fri, just got back from Watford (hello to anyone who was there and sees this, you are all lovely :flower: ), going on a workshop tomorrow and dragging a g/f along to another local venue on Monday... 6 in a row, not bad for a newbie eh? The BEST thing is that I can tell partners to be nice to me 'cos I've only been doing it for 3 weeks :innocent:

Unfortunately :mad: I did a huge clothes shop last weekend and they are all now too big for me :tears:

< goes off to check shoes thread - I'm gonna need them :D >

Lynn
5th-June-2005, 03:09 PM
And for the record, I've danced on 46 consecutive days :cheers: That's as much, possibly more, than I have danced at all! Actually just worked out that I have danced a total of 19 evenings between visits to England & the holiday in Spain - and about 25/28 evenings in Belfast (though as most of those had very short freestyle time you would need to add about 3 together to make a 'regular' evening).

Though I think this is due to lack of opportunity and I think this forum helps to fill the gap when I can't actually dance!

Lynn
5th-June-2005, 03:12 PM
< goes off to check shoes thread - I'm gonna need them :D > Dance shoes :drool: - now that's another addiction!

Trousers
5th-June-2005, 03:40 PM
I just had to go 37 days cold turkey

:sad:

Boy was it pants.

God help the women I dance with this week!

TheTramp
5th-June-2005, 07:35 PM
God help the women I dance with this week!

I say this every week!! :rolleyes: :innocent:

LMC
6th-June-2005, 05:13 PM
Dance shoes :drool: - now that's another addiction!

Well, that's just another slippery slope I've started down then... just bought some and they are luvverly and I'm going to take them to bed with me instead of my teddy bear.

< sits back and waits for rude remarks >

stewart38
6th-June-2005, 05:20 PM

:clap:

I thought on boxing day it would be worse re 'cold turkey' but was told there were events around even then :grin:

Worse things to be hooked on

wicked blue
7th-June-2005, 09:58 AM
LOL! That'll take some beating I think! :waycool:

Would that be by yourself?????? Or do you accost some random stranger??????

Just Wiggle
7th-June-2005, 11:22 AM
I feel quite relieved now that I know theres a name for my condition, I thought I was the only one suffering!

Affecting everyday life.....mmmm.... I find a nice, clean kitchen floor is the best for practising spins... carpet not so good!

Do anyone else find they suffer from dancing dreams? Or is that just me...find all sorts of people floating about in my head especially if I am with fellow OCDD sufferers!

bigdjiver
7th-June-2005, 11:37 AM
... find yourself at a performance of "The Messiah", choreographing it for MJ ...

Lynn
7th-June-2005, 11:52 AM
... find yourself at a performance of "The Messiah", choreographing it for MJ ... Reminds me, Sunday morning at church I noticed that one of the songs we were singing was a waltz... didn't dance down the aisles though! (I have done that at churches in Africa!)

Dazzle
7th-June-2005, 05:30 PM
Can anyone do a spot diagnosis for me :blush: ? In less than two years I have gone from just starting to dance, to teach, to DJ, to compete and on to running two venues :eek: ! Whadda ya thing? :whistle:

Donna
9th-June-2005, 01:18 PM
Can anyone do a spot diagnosis for me :blush: ? In less than two years I have gone from just starting to dance, to teach, to DJ, to compete and on to running two venues :eek: ! Whadda ya thing? :whistle: Great! I'm sure not many people can achieve all that in such a short space of time. :clap:

drathzel
9th-June-2005, 01:33 PM
Think I might have it...
Nah not till you start using your holidays for ceroc reasons... :whistle: Or thinking of work as a rest from dancing (as opposed to the sleep you were ment to get last night)