PDA

View Full Version : Forum Spamfest

El Salsero Gringo
30th-May-2005, 11:52 AM
Is anyone else unimpressed with virtually every live thread on this Forum being turned into an ad for some venue or other tonight?

I know at least one person who's decided not to go on that basis, and I feel like joining them.

Tiggerbabe: you should have just deleted the posts.

ducasi
30th-May-2005, 12:10 PM
Is anyone else unimpressed with virtually every live thread on this Forum being turned into an ad for some venue or other tonight? I certainly am. Gave my first negative rep for that. :sad:

bigdjiver
30th-May-2005, 12:18 PM
I certainly am. Gave my first negative rep for that. :sad:I gave my first intentional one. (Previous was "what does this button do? It works! Where's undo? :tears: )

Despite seeing the TIC (Tongue-in-cheek) humerous intent I asked for all to be removed. Family plans prevented me from going to this event. If they had not I would have cancelled.

Mary
30th-May-2005, 12:21 PM
Is anyone else unimpressed with virtually every live thread on this Forum being turned into an ad for some venue or other tonight?

I know at least one person who's decided not to go on that basis, and I feel like joining them.

Tiggerbabe: you should have just deleted the posts.

Know what you mean, but it is useful to know what's going on down here and who's going where - if I feel like I'm being left out you could do handstands on my bottom lip. :sad:

Seriously, I feel in the mood to boycott all of them because it's all getting a bit too pushy. So will probably chill out in front of the telly or potter along to somewhere in Hammersmith to relax and maybe have the 'odd' dance or two.

In fact this has just put me in mind of a signature. :wink:

M

azande
30th-May-2005, 12:22 PM
Yep! Posted here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123536&postcount=52) , reported them to the Moderators and gave negative rep.

Lynn
30th-May-2005, 12:26 PM
As someone on the very edge (if even) of the MJ world I value the info about big events that I come across on this forum (eg I heard about Southport here, and now 13 from NI are going to the next one. And that can't be considered as an advert in any way as its almost sold out!).

People are going to advertise events - it will happen some way or other - and sometimes its useful information. Especially the 'who's going to...' sort of threads. But not coming into a thread that is about something else - please! I know this is an ongoing issue - but maybe a seperate section of the forum where people could flag up an event without it bogging down other discussions?

Something to mark something out as an 'advert' - eg the 'who's going' threads don't tend to mention dates and times (unless someone asks) as most people already know - but if a post lists details such as venue, date, time, cost - then its an 'advertising' post. Maybe a limit of the number of 'advertising' posts per person per year or something? And they have to be in a certain area of the forum only?

Gadget
30th-May-2005, 12:31 PM
Isn't Adam in the antipodean... :confused:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-May-2005, 12:32 PM
There's a perfectly good Bank-holiday weekend thread for information. And nobody would call that spam. But I counted about 8 random thread hijacks promoting one event.

I get the idea that some operators lack confidence in their own product if these are the lengths they feel moved to go to.

philsmove
30th-May-2005, 12:41 PM
The Bristol forum has a free advertising section although mainly LeRoc based CeRoc and anyone else can advertise ONCE

More than one post and everything about the event is deleted

it works very well

Lynn
30th-May-2005, 12:49 PM
:what: Didn't realise how many threads had been affected at first - or maybe that should be 'infected' - its like a virus! :sick:

Dance Demon
30th-May-2005, 06:00 PM
but maybe a seperate section of the forum where people could flag up an event without it bogging down other discussions?

It already exists Lynn....it's called.."Social Events"......
After Franck introduced the commercial membership status, I was guilty of hi-jacking the odd thread to promote my night. I have stopped doing this & I apologised to Franck. Was never on this scale though........but although it has been deleted, it has served it's purpose.........Mission Accomplished Cap'n..... :wink:

Dan Hudson
30th-May-2005, 06:36 PM
:yeah: :yeah:

totally unnceccesary in my opinion.... we know when it is and will go if we want to!! :angry:

David Bailey
30th-May-2005, 10:02 PM
I gave my first intentional one. (Previous was "what does this button do? It works! Where's undo? :tears: )
:rofl: :rofl:
Classic.

Yes, it was certainly, shall we say, a little overenthusiastic... :mad:

I make it a rule never to give negative reps, but this was the closest I've ever come.

Finchley's a good place, it's good good dancers, a great teacher, a good DJ, an average demo ( :innocent: ) and excellent taxis. There's no need for all this hype - 1 post would have been sufficient, people can make their own minds up I believe...

In fact, Robin's DWAS post did a good job of advertising the event already. To me, this is just spoiling it :mad:

Lynn
30th-May-2005, 11:43 PM
It already exists Lynn....it's called.."Social Events"...... Yes, I suppose I was thinking of some section being the only place people could 'plug' an event - and posts elsewhere being deleted...

David Bailey
1st-June-2005, 09:15 PM
Yes, I suppose I was thinking of some section being the only place people could 'plug' an event - and posts elsewhere being deleted...
Excellent idea - a "Plugs: ignore these" section :rofl:

In fact, only real commercial operators can plug an event - and they pay good money for the privilege, as they should. Not that I'd ever suggest any "Are you going to XXX" threads are sly adverts, oooh no matron.

But there's plugging, and there's over-plugging...