PDA

View Full Version : Independents teaching workshops

Gus
29th-May-2005, 06:33 PM
OK ... before I start this thread I'm declaring upfront I have a commercial interest in this debate ... for reasons that will become obvious. :wink:

How does an independent instructor go about launching a new workshop on the unsuspecting public? I'm still (with only 3 days before I fly out) trying to complete writing my workshops for NZ. Given all the effort thats gone into them, it seems daft that I can teach them half the world away but not in the UK. Ceroc venues are off limits unless you are a Ceroc Affiliate (and the joining rules for that association are pretty tight), and there are few independent organisations around that can support workshops (that I'm aware). So ..... if you don’t teach for the Big Boys, how do you get your workshops presented to the dancing masses?

djtrev
29th-May-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry if I have missed the point here Gus,but,why cant independant organisations support workshops.I am not quite sure what you mean.

Gadget
29th-May-2005, 08:12 PM
How do you advertise it, let people know it's on, and get punters signing up for it when none of the "big boys" on the MJ scene will tell their people about it. And the smaller ones will want paid for advertising it or a cut on the takings.

The only solution I can think on is to put it on something like Linda's List with a web page/site and contact details. Alternativly approach certain individuals and make it a "By Invite" workshop, but what does that imply about the dancing ability of the people you approach?

bigdjiver
29th-May-2005, 09:14 PM
One should be able to write down on paper "I know that there is a demand for product xxx because ...". To do that one has to make contact with the people that are demanding that product, and that point of contact is a starting point for selling the product.

A lot of small businesses do not start that way. The owners want to share their passion with the like minded. It may be dance, chocolate or home brewed beer. In my case it was computers. The reality is tha they want to make a profit so that they can run their business, rather than running their business to make a profit.

One of the questions of SDF on 3 was about the earning potential for dancers. It is not good. Too many people do it for love. The same is true of activities around dance. You have unfortunately learned that much already. You could start small, join forces with one or more ladies, and tout for people wanting private lessons, moving up to small groups. If you are good enough, your name will spread.

Lou
29th-May-2005, 10:02 PM
Gus - have a chat with Sherif down here. He's been organising monthly workshops (last one was a couple of weeks ago with Carol Haines, the month before Nigel & Nina, etc...).

Gus
29th-May-2005, 11:24 PM
Gus - have a chat with Sherif down here. He's been organising monthly workshops (last one was a couple of weeks ago with Carol Haines, the month before Nigel & Nina, etc...).Yeaaaahhhh ... and when I get to the same level as Carol or N&N I dont think I'll have many problems getting people to do my workshops. :whistle: :wink:

Lou
29th-May-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeaaaahhhh ... and when I get to the same level as Carol or N&N I dont think I'll have many problems getting people to do my workshops. :whistle: :wink:
:rofl:
All I'm saying, dearheart, is that there might be the odd independent organisation who possibly might take on your workshop... (and if it's promoted to those people who already been to N&N, David & Lily, Carol, et. al, surely it helps you...)

It doesn't hurt to ask. :wink:

Otherwise, there's always Trinity.... :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-May-2005, 01:01 AM
....And the smaller ones will want paid for advertising it or a cut on the takings....I have to question the implicit assumption that promoting this kind of event doesn't warrant a cut on the takings. The most difficult part of any business is not in having the idea for the product or delivering it; it's putting the offer in front of the right customers, i.e. the ones prepared to pay for it. Ownership of the customer is everything.

So if a small operator is prepared to offer access to their hard-won customers for a share of the proceeds from a workshop then that sounds like a very good idea to me!

How about, Gus, coming up with an package that makes good (financial) sense to independent dance operators, and having them promote the workshops to their customers? You might only get half the cash, but you might also get 10 times as many bookings?

Gus
30th-May-2005, 01:25 AM
How about, Gus, coming up with an package that makes good (financial) sense to independent dance operators, and having them promote the workshops to their customers? You might only get half the cash, but you might also get 10 times as many bookings?Thats the way it tends to be done already. The Promoter guaruntees a fixed amount for the instructor with a split of profits once a certain profit level has been hit. Obviously, the bigger the pull of the instructor, the bigger the slice of the income they claim. Having said all that, how many independant workshops do you see in London? :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-May-2005, 11:41 AM
Having said all that, how many independant workshops do you see in London? :whistle:That's a very good question, but since most of the MJ venues I go to are run by The Borg there isn't much opportunity for me to hear of independent workshops. Equally, how many independent MJ classes are run in London?