PDA

View Full Version : BFG!!! Oct 2005! Its official!

Lory
27th-May-2005, 10:55 AM
Great news!!!

The BFG has now been confirmed and will take place on the 21/22/23rd October in Glasgow.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

The venue will be Glasgow University Union and we'll have 3 separate rooms for the workshops and the dancing, so different DJs!! :waycool:

For full info, workshop timetable and booking info, check out the BFG page! (http://cerocscotland.com/BFG.htm) :D

And I've already booked my flights! :wink:

Lou
27th-May-2005, 10:59 AM
Great news!!!

The BFG has now been confirmed and will take place on the 21/22/23rd October in Glasgow. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yay! :clap: I now have no excuse, do I?! :D

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-May-2005, 11:08 AM
Great news!!!

The BFG has now been confirmed and will take place on the 21/22/23rd October in Glasgow. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah! Very excited :D We'll finally get to meet now Lory, and you too Lou, if you make it up, but as you said-you really have no excuse now! :grin:
I'll be able to make saturday and sunday, so plenty of time to meet everyone :cheers:

Who else is going then?

Ashx

TheTramp
27th-May-2005, 11:09 AM
Who else is going then?
I expect I'll pop along for an hour or two.... :what:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-May-2005, 11:15 AM
I expect I'll pop along for an hour or two.... :what:

So i'll get that dance that you owe me then???? :clap:

Tessalicious
27th-May-2005, 11:18 AM
Great news!!!

The venue will be Glasgow University Union and we'll have 3 separate rooms for the workshops and the dancing, so different DJs!! :waycool:

No plans as yet for the workshops but thinking caps are firmly ON! :D

BFG on my birthday! Oh well guess I'll have to have my non-Ceroc-friends-party the previous weekend then huh :wink:

Sparkles
27th-May-2005, 11:19 AM
Can't go :tears:
Booked to go to America on the 21st October way back in January.
Why oh why oh why did it have to be THAT weekend :tears: :tears: :tears:

azande
Yay! :clap: I now have no excuse, do I?! :D
No, you don't!! :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
Im sure I can manage to go to that :) Wheres the info ? times? special guests? prizes? mini dance competitions? etc...

Lou
27th-May-2005, 11:21 AM
BFG on my birthday! Oh well guess I'll have to have my non-Ceroc-friends-party the previous weekend then huh :wink:
That made me check - and fortunately it's Simon's 40th birthday party the weekend before, too -so ElaineB - you've got no excuse not to make it, either! :D

TheTramp
27th-May-2005, 11:39 AM
That's fine. Just cancel the American trip. Of course you'll have to come to the BFG!! :rolleyes:

TheTramp
27th-May-2005, 11:40 AM
So i'll get that dance that you owe me then???? :clap:
I have to wait until October?? :sick: :tears:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-May-2005, 11:45 AM
I have to wait until October?? :sick: :tears:

Oops :blush: ... I forgot that i'll see you before then :devil: You'll only have to wait until July then :grin: :hug:

Graham
27th-May-2005, 11:49 AM
Guess that'll teach you to share your travel plans with Franck, eh? :wink:

Lory
27th-May-2005, 12:00 PM
Wheres the info ? times? special guests? prizes? mini dance competitions? etc...
Well, the dates and venue are in place and that's a very good starting point! :nice:

I suggest it's up to 'us' to put forward ideas and nomination catagorys for the forum awards etc. :na:

Rhythm King
27th-May-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah, but think of the Birthday Dance you're gonna get :wink: :waycool:

R-K :hug:

drathzel
27th-May-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm really looking forward to it! Get your dance cards ready!!! :hug: :clap:

Lynn
27th-May-2005, 12:07 PM
Great! I'll go look up flights now...!

Rhythm King
27th-May-2005, 12:10 PM

:tears: :tears: :tears:
and Sal too... :tears: :sad:

But then, think of the shopping and... The Vegas!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm sure you'll make the best of it :whistle:

R-K :flower: :hug:

Purple Sparkler
27th-May-2005, 12:14 PM
Im sure I can manage to go to that :) Wheres the info ? times? special guests? prizes? mini dance competitions? etc...

I like the idea of the mini dance competition- but could we make it so it's judged according to more forum-y categories, and less like a trad dance competition?

I'll stick the dates in my diary now! Where's good to stay in Glasgow?

Sheepman
27th-May-2005, 12:55 PM
Great news!!!
Not such great news for some of us :tears:
I won't be able to make it, not without cloning anyway :tears: :tears:

I hope you all have a fab time, and I'll be getting very jealous.

Greg

JoC
27th-May-2005, 01:02 PM
Who else is going then?

I try so hard to be elusive and not go to everything, but oh heck, I may as well admit that I hate missing anything and there's no way I'll miss this as long as I'm fit and able. (I'll probably also be there if I'm unfit and unable).

Don't think we've met Ash, I must say hello next party night if I can work out who you are! :flower:

ducasi
27th-May-2005, 01:15 PM
Great news!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

The venue will be Glasgow University Union ...:clap: :clap: :clap:

Just ten minutes' walk from my front door! :waycool:

I'm so looking forward to this!

Here's a good place to start for people wanting to know about the location. (http://www.guu.co.uk/)

There's also the University's official visitor's web site (http://www.gla.ac.uk/visitors/) Unfortunately I'd guess that the accommodation the University offers won't be available during term-time. :sad: Maybe someone wants to ask them? (http://www.cvso.co.uk/Accommodation/accm_intro_120505.htm)

It's in the West End of Glasgow, where there's lots of wee guesthouses, and it's not so far away from Charing Cross where there's lots of big hotels. :nice:

Here's a good web site (http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk) with lots more really useful stuff about Glasgow, and some great pictures. (Disclaimer: this web site is run by a friend of mine.)

See you all in October!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-May-2005, 01:44 PM
I try so hard to be elusive and not go to everything, but oh heck, I may as well admit that I hate missing anything and there's no way I'll miss this as long as I'm fit and able. (I'll probably also be there if I'm unfit and unable).

Don't think we've met Ash, I must say hello next party night if I can work out who you are! :flower:

Oh, yes i'd like to meet you too, but I will admit that I didn't know you were a Glaswegian until now...in my defence-it doesn't say on your profile :flower:
You'll spot me easy-i'll be the one hanging around with all the really cool people :wink: But if you want to know what I look like, umm...well i'm medium height, shoulder length brown hair, bluey-grey eyes and tend to laugh quite alot (so you'll probably hear me before you see me) If you just tell me who you are normally sitting with i'll try my best to find you next party I am at :grin: or you can find me!

Ashx

JoC
27th-May-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh, yes i'd like to meet you too, but I will admit that I didn't know you were a Glaswegian until now...in my defence-it doesn't say on your profile :flower:
I'm a Perthite really but get around...

If you just tell me who you are normally sitting with i'll try my best to find you next party I am at :grin:
With cool people too? :grin: I seem to sit here then there then here again...

I'm looking forward to my dance :hug:

I've only done one class as a lead but we can try! :whistle:

:) :hug:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-May-2005, 02:16 PM
I've only done one class as a lead but we can try! :whistle:

:) :hug:

Oops, it was only after I read what i'd written and read you post again that I realised you were infact a girl :blush: I'd still like the dance though :D :kiss:

Mary
27th-May-2005, 02:25 PM
At the moment i think we could make this one. S'pose I should check flights/accomm. etc. Can't miss 2 in a row!! That would be just plain rude.

M

TheTramp
27th-May-2005, 02:38 PM
Well. I'll start with the Scottish accomodation offers.

I live 90 miles away in Dundee on the other side of Scotland. Which isn't much use for the BFG. But if anyone wants to make a bit more of a trip of it, and see some more of Scotland, then I have a sofabed, and am willing to accomodate before/after the weekend.

There's great dancing in Dundee and Aberdeen and Perth on this side of the country during the week. As well as some beautiful scenary and places to see...

Minnie M
27th-May-2005, 02:55 PM
At the moment i think we could make this one. S'pose I should check flights/accomm. etc. Can't miss 2 in a row!! That would be just plain rude.
:yeah:
Me too - now I have a job :clap: I can afford to go too :clap: :clap:

DianaS
27th-May-2005, 02:57 PM
Me too - now I have a job :clap: I can afford to go too :clap: :clap:
Excellent I'm coming and NG will too when she knows about it!!!!
CJ have you got enough room for us?? :devil:
We like to share you see

Lory
27th-May-2005, 03:00 PM
We like to share you see
I was just going to post, that I need to find out which hotel will be having all the action but it seemsl the action wont be happening in a hotel at all! :really: :D

DianaS
27th-May-2005, 03:06 PM
Trampys free perhaps we should spread our selvesa bout! and sample the local hospitality Whaddya think Lory? :devil:

Lory
27th-May-2005, 03:10 PM
Trampys free perhaps we should spread our selvesa bout! and sample the local hospitality Whaddya think Lory? :devil:
Men in Scotland have the highest rate of heart attack in the UK already Diana, it just wouldn't be fair! :wink:

John S
27th-May-2005, 03:21 PM
I try so hard to be elusive and not go to everything
Hmm, you're obviously not the JoC I thought you were then. :flower:

stewart38
27th-May-2005, 03:30 PM

I live 90 miles away in Dundee on the other side of Scotland. Which isn't much use for the BFG. But if anyone wants to make a bit more of a trip of it, and see some more of Scotland,

Is Scotland that place that looks very small on the new BBC weather maps :whistle:

Yogi_Bear
27th-May-2005, 04:21 PM
Only just seen the thread :innocent:
Will have to try to make it in October - I'd love to revisit Glasgow...

JoC
27th-May-2005, 04:25 PM

I live 90 miles away in Dundee on the other side of Scotland. Which isn't much use for the BFG. But if anyone wants to make a bit more of a trip of it, and see some more of Scotland, then I have a sofabed, and am willing to accomodate before/after the weekend.

There's great dancing in Dundee and Aberdeen and Perth on this side of the country during the week. As well as some beautiful scenary and places to see...

:yeah: but I'm on the outskirts of Perth. I have a dinky little twin room going spare and room for one (maybe two) in the living room if anyone gets the urge for a stop over or a little break in Perth. Just over an hour from Edinburgh or Glasgow, just over half an hour from Dundee, easy access to lovely Lochs and Glens.
I live with a pud-tat for ye allergy sufferers.
Nearest dancing Perth, Dundee and Stirling.
:flower:

Lynn
28th-May-2005, 12:54 AM
I really wanted to get to Scotland sometime this year to dance with all the lovely Scottish folk, and I can get flights for about £35 to Glasgow! :clap: I was disappointed to miss last year, so will definitely plan to be there this time! :clap:

Dance Demon
28th-May-2005, 09:38 AM
Is Scotland that place that looks very small on the new BBC weather maps :whistle:

It's all that rain.....made it shrink....... :rolleyes:

David Bailey
28th-May-2005, 11:46 AM
It's all that rain.....made it shrink....... :rolleyes:

My goodness, 4,000 complaints! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4589301.stm)

That's a lot of hacked-off Scotsmen.

Did anyone see that episode of the West Wing a year or two back where they talked about map distortions? It's much less boring than it sounds, honest - basically, the entire map of the globe we grew up with is physically wrong; countries are sized wrongly and positioned wrongly (that is, not reflecting physical reality).

Quite spooky really, just goes to show the map really is not the territory.

David, trying to pre-empt the "Blatant thread hijacking" BFG award :)

cerocmetro
29th-May-2005, 11:31 AM
I am going to try and get there especially as it was such fun last year. Worth travelling 25000 miles for i would say. Just one thing though, need a bigger room that last year, it was either me or the suitcase. Seeing how the suitcase is more valuable, I had to sleep in the bar :sick:

Tiggerbabe
29th-May-2005, 12:19 PM
Fantastic news Adam, I'll make it my mission to make sure you get the biggest room in the hotel, if it means you're definitely gonna be at the BFG 2005 :clap: :hug: :kiss:

drathzel
29th-May-2005, 04:25 PM
I am going to try and get there especially as it was such fun last year. Worth travelling 25000 miles for i would say.

Woohoo! Can i ask for a dance now? :flower:

Gus
29th-May-2005, 04:52 PM
Any news on DJs, workshop themes/teachers etc.?

Tiggerbabe
29th-May-2005, 07:03 PM
Any news on DJs, workshop themes/teachers etc.?
Yeah, we'll be having all of the above :whistle:

Gus
29th-May-2005, 07:27 PM
Go on ...be a devil .... take a guess as to who. Will it be Ceroc only teachers/DJs or will 'Dark Side-ers' be part of the entertainment :innocent:

cerocmetro
30th-May-2005, 04:38 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CJ
30th-May-2005, 10:29 AM
Excellent I'm coming and NG will too when she knows about it!!!!
We like to share you see

All the room you'll ever need..... :D

It's the entertainment that may fall short!! :tears:

Clive Long
9th-June-2005, 11:38 PM
I haven't been keeping up with the Forum- is anyone keeping a list of who is travelling when and who needs / offers lifts to airports, is driving from civilisation towards Northern Exposure? etc. etc. etc.

If no one is already doing that, drop me a PM and I'm prepared to keep a lifts required /lifts offered list - and match people up - of course you can make your own requests via the forum and ignore this fabulous service.

Clive

Northants Girly
14th-June-2005, 12:06 AM
It's the entertainment that may fall short!! :tears:Not with DianaS around it won't :wink:

CJ
14th-June-2005, 01:00 AM
Not with DianaS around it won't :wink:

So, the ruomours that NOTHING falls short when she is on form are true, then??

Mmm... so, is that one room or two?!? :wink:

LilyB
19th-June-2005, 03:10 PM
DavidB & I are plotting .. er .. planning a trip to this year's BFG. :clap:

Researched airfares, car hire and hotels, but not too clear exactly where the events will be held. Can anyone enlighten us on the precise location of the Union building, or wherever the events will be? Is there parking available? Or is it better not to hire a car for the weekend? Most of the Central Glasgow hotels I have seen (on the internet) do not have parking facilities :sad:

Any advice and recommendations appreciated. :flower:

LilyB :cheers:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
19th-June-2005, 03:20 PM

Researched airfares, car hire and hotels, but not too clear exactly where the events will be held. Can anyone enlighten us on the precise location of the Union building, or wherever the events will be? Is there parking available? Or is it better not to hire a car for the weekend? Most of the Central Glasgow hotels I have seen (on the internet) do not have parking facilities :sad:

Umm....the only thing I could suggest is help with the location. Now I can't link to maps ect. :rolleyes: But if you go to the homepage, classes in Scotland, Glasgow, there is a link to the map for the GUU. Hope that helps, until some computer whizz comes along with a map, as usual.
I can give you directions from Hillhead subway station as that is how I get there, if you'd like,its pretty straight forward actually. As for travel, that's really up to you-Public transport is ok in Glasgow, but taxi's at 1am might be expensive. I think there is parking at the GUU, but as for hotels-I don't know which have parking, sorry.

Hope I helped a little :flower: Can't wait to meet you in October! :hug:
Ashx

drathzel
19th-June-2005, 03:22 PM

The university is just beside kelvingrove Park (please correct me if i am wrong) Hotels out of the immediate centre will have pleanty of room for street parking! Byres road, Woodlands road and Great Western Road are all within walking distance! And at the venue, there is plenty of parking on ajoining street, were we all park on class nights!

If this helps YEAHY :clap: if not, sorry :hug:

Chicklet
19th-June-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi Lily,

I'm afraid I don't know the name of the road as I went to the other uni :blush: ....but my suggestion would be not to bother with the car.
Airport to city centre taxi should be about £12, and the venue is only a £5 taxi ride from any hotel acurately describing itself as city centre....there is parking but I honestly don't think the car will be worth the bother (unless you're also thinking of a romantic drive north or something like that :waycool: ) as there will be plenty of folk around who could drop you back afterwards and who can now navigate the oneway system quite well after lots of experience getting it wrong :grin:
C

ducasi
19th-June-2005, 03:24 PM

LilyB :cheers: See my post (#23) on this thread, and try here for a map. (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=257129&y=666729&z=0&sv=G12%208LX&st=PostCode&lu=N&tl=~&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf)

If you book with the hotel that Lory arranged special rates for, I don't think you'll need a car, as it's no more than 5 minute's walk from the GUU through Kelvingrove Park.

But as I don't drive, I might be biased.

Cheers!

Chicklet
19th-June-2005, 03:26 PM
but taxi's at 1am might be expensive.
compared to David sized hire car :wink: or London cab prices, probably not really....and I'd like to see Sheena letting this pair away at 1 am LOL.

ducasi
19th-June-2005, 03:28 PM
... And at the venue, there is plenty of parking on ajoining street, were we all park on class nights! Though at night it's free, it might not be during the day and weekends.

ducasi
19th-June-2005, 03:32 PM
... I can give you directions from Hillhead subway station ... It's easy to find from Hillhead station, but I think Kelvinbridge station is much nearer.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
19th-June-2005, 07:03 PM
compared to David sized hire car :wink: or London cab prices, probably not really....and I'd like to see Sheena letting this pair away at 1 am LOL.

There you go then, no problem, I never get taxi's so have no idea about prices (but I guess that was pretty obvious :whistle: ) And yes, did I say 1am, I meant 1am the next day :wink: :cheers:

LilyB
19th-June-2005, 09:46 PM
Many thanks for your advice & helpful comments. Will look into all options - including speaking to Lory!

DavidB
20th-June-2005, 12:04 AM
Will look into all options - including speaking to Lory!Will - get your act together and do what Lily tells you to do!!!

Lory
20th-June-2005, 12:24 AM
Many thanks for your advice & helpful comments. Will look into all options - including speaking to Lory!

Take a look here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5454&highlight=BFG) Lily, especially post No.10 :)

I do hope you both can come! :clap:

Minnie M
20th-June-2005, 08:11 AM
Take a look here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5454&highlight=BFG) Lily, especially post No.10 :)

I do hope you both can come! :clap:

thanks from me too Lory - hopefully they will have room for a little mouse too :flower:

now got to organise flights etc.

xSalsa_Angelx
25th-June-2005, 10:57 PM
I might well come down for this event, not too do any dancing, just to catch up on the lovely folks ave not seen for in a while, I will be 8 months pregnant then, already looking like a beached whale, so god knows what I will be like then.....

Lynz

Dreadful Scathe
26th-June-2005, 10:28 AM
I might well come down for this event, not too do any dancing, just to catch up on the lovely folks ave not seen for in a while, I will be 8 months pregnant then, already looking like a beached whale, so god knows what I will be like then.....

Lynz
You can still dance at 8 months y'know :)

Tiggerbabe
26th-June-2005, 11:17 AM
In fact, I'm pretty sure Lorna was dancing in the Invercarse only a couple of days before she gave birth to Sarah :clap: and she still looked bloomin' gorgeous :wink:

Nessa
12th-July-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi all!
I know you guys don't know me, I'm a bit of a phantom around here though some of your "faces" I know better from the Australian Ceroc Forum :flower: .

But as I was wandering thru your fascinating site tonight I found this Big Forum Gathering stuff, and thought, wouldn't it be cool if that were on while I was on my big UK tour later in the year. :waycool: Since I'm big on Forum gatherings.
Then I looked in my diary.. and it seems like I fly out of London on the 20th October :tears:

D'ye think it'd be worth me having a fight with my travel agent and changing it by a couple of days?

Gadget
12th-July-2005, 02:22 PM
D'ye think it'd be worth me having a fight with my travel agent and changing it by a couple of days?
YES.

Chance of a lifetime. Some of the best tallent from the UK scene (some not bad dancers as well :wink: ) For the sake of a couple of days, you would be kicking yourself if you came all this way and missed it. :flower:

Lucy Locket
12th-July-2005, 02:36 PM
I haven't been keeping up with the Forum- is anyone keeping a list of who is travelling when and who needs / offers lifts to airports, is driving from civilisation towards Northern Exposure? etc. etc. etc.

If no one is already doing that, drop me a PM and I'm prepared to keep a lifts required /lifts offered list - and match people up - of course you can make your own requests via the forum and ignore this fabulous service.

Clive

well i wouldn't mind venturing north, but have no idea if anyone from my way is going, don't really fancy it on my own. Plus have no idea of where to stay. :sad:

Tiggerbabe
12th-July-2005, 06:59 PM
no idea of where to stay. :sad:
Now that is so not true (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5454&highlight=BFG) :wink: (Lory's post, no 10)

Lucy Locket
12th-July-2005, 10:15 PM
Now that is so not true (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5454&highlight=BFG) :wink: (Lory's post, no 10)

well does anyone want to share? anyone from around here going? :flower:

Minnie M
12th-July-2005, 10:36 PM
Booked !!
Flight and Hotel (Angus) .............. yipeee.............. starting to get excited now !

Think I'll change my avatar to celebrate

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-July-2005, 06:23 AM
Booked !!
Flight and Hotel (Angus) .............. yipeee.............. starting to get excited now !

Think I'll change my avatar to celebrate

Woohoo! yea Minnie, see you in October, and if I can lead by then we can dance :D Seems the BFG gonna be popular this year!
Also, I hope you find someone to travel with Lucy :flower:

Ashx :hug:

Minnie M
13th-July-2005, 07:49 AM
Woohoo! yea Minnie, see you in October, and if I can lead by then we can dance :D Seems the BFG gonna be popular this year!
Also, I hope you find someone to travel with Lucy :flower:

Ashx :hug:

I can lead you Ash :flower: my lead is not that good as it is mixed with lindy & Rock 'n' Roll and not a patch on Sparkles and Tiggerbabe (and Alex is pretty good too :worthy: ) - so we can 'mix and match' look forward to it :flower:

For Lucy or anyone else travelling alone down south:
I live in Brighton, but will be staying with my son Jack (lives in Amersham nr. J18 on M25) on Wednesday night so can get an early flight from Luton Thursday (yes Thursday) morning - if you decide to travel up a day early, PM me and I will give you more info - I assume most of us will be travelling back together on the Monday lunchtime flight :D

So exciting :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-August-2005, 01:31 PM
Time to book still :)

Mary
30th-August-2005, 02:00 PM
Congratulations to you and Fi. Looking forward to lots of dances and catching up at the BFG. :clap:

M

LMC
30th-August-2005, 02:24 PM
:confused:

Icey and I have flights and hotel booked (same as everyone else, it's a whole deputation going from Luton!). But can't see where to book the BFG itself? - I can see it's listed on the main page but no link?

Really looking forward to it!! :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-August-2005, 02:44 PM
Aha, I meant booking a place to stay. The BFG is in 3 rooms I believe so space may not be an issue at night for the party at least - the classes could become oversubscribed I suppose. Franck ? Any comments on booking ?

Donna
30th-August-2005, 02:44 PM

Yeesss this sounds great. Thinking about it actually...seeing we can't make Scotland champs in sept. :nice:

Paul F
4th-September-2005, 08:55 PM
Having left it, as usual, to the last minute can anyone give me a clue about how much the BFG is and how I go about booking?

Have had, an albeit, quick look through the threads and on the CS website but cant find anything about booking.

Help :flower:

Tiggerbabe
4th-September-2005, 09:00 PM
Click on the above and you can get an idea of where to book accomodation.
Franck's working on everything else as we speak and I'm sure the prices and "how to book the BFG" itself will be posted very, very soon :clap:

Minnie M
4th-September-2005, 09:15 PM
Having left it, as usual, to the last minute can anyone give me a clue about how much the BFG is and how I go about booking?

Have had, an albeit, quick look through the threads and on the CS website but cant find anything about booking.

Help :flower:
Tel +44 141 357 5155
Fax +44 141 339 9469

Postal Address:
Angus Hotel
970 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G3 7TH
Scotland, UK

web link on Lory's post as per Tiggerbabe's link
and
http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/step1.asp

for cheap flights

Paul F
4th-September-2005, 09:22 PM
Franck's working on everything else as we speak and I'm sure the prices and "how to book the BFG" itself will be posted very, very soon :clap:

Ah, I see. Thanks Tigger/Minnie.

I thought I may be too late to book for the actual event :blush:

Will sort accommodation asap.

Dazzle
10th-September-2005, 06:19 AM
I really fancy the sound of this too. Checked the two hotels out that Lory recommended, but both fully booked already. Any idea on any other also within walking distance? What is the Devoncove Hotel like? On the same road I think? £50 per room per night B&B based on 2 sharing.

PaulF flights from Manchester are about £66 return. Can't go direct from Liverpool unless you go via IOM or Belfast! :sick: ! EasyJet is a no go for either departure point. :tears:

Any idea on approximate cost for the event itself? Would anyone want to share or will Sheena (mine) have to come and use it as an excuse to go shopping :eek: ?

Tiggerbabe
10th-September-2005, 07:48 AM
Here's the info from the front page re cost - £50 for the whole weekend, but you can book what suits you :clap:

Friday and Sunday night parties: £7.00 each.
Saturday Party and Awards Ceremony: £12.00.
Saturday / Sunday masterclasses and tea-dances: £25.00 each - Tea-dance alone is £7.00.
(£35.00 for Saturday or £30 for Sunday only)
The full week-end will therefore cost £76.00 per person, for 5 Freestyle dances and up to 26 Masterclasses. You can also get a Special Discount Price of £50.00 for the complete week-end by joining the Forum...

Haven't stayed in the hotel you mention but there is also The Townhouse Hotel (http://www.townhousehotelglasgow.com) about 5 minutes further along the road.

Bring Sheena - Glasgow's great for shopping :clap: :D

LMC
10th-September-2005, 11:46 AM
Can't see a link to book online? :confused: - or is it telephone/post only?

ducasi
10th-September-2005, 11:59 AM
Can't see a link to book online? :confused: - or is it telephone/post only? When bookings are being taken, I'd guess it'll be via this page (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/subscriptions.php), as was done last year.

JoC
11th-September-2005, 11:01 AM
When bookings are being taken, I'd guess it'll be via this page (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/subscriptions.php), as was done last year.That links to the silver membership page :confused: , was there a facility to pay online last year?

There's a dedicated BFG email address so i'm assuming you can email your booking there and stick a cheque in the post no?

Is it time to start the countdown a la 'that place'? Hurray it's only *blah* days until BFG!!! :clap: Ah canny wait!!!

DavidY
11th-September-2005, 11:06 AM
That links to the silver membership page :confused: , was there a facility to pay online last year? Yes there was - you could pay using "PayPal" last year.
There's a dedicated BFG email address so i'm assuming you can email your booking there and stick a cheque in the post no?I'm still waiting for Franck to tell us how he wants us to pay this time, but last year I just put a cheque in the post.

ducasi
11th-September-2005, 04:25 PM
That links to the silver membership page :confused: , was there a facility to pay online last year? At the moment there is only "silver" subscriptions. I guess quite soon there will be "BFG" subscriptions. :nice:

If I were Franck I'd charge the full amount to put who wanted to put a check in the post, rather than use the forum and paypal, but then I'm pretty evil. :devil:

There's a dedicated BFG email address so i'm assuming you can email your booking there and stick a cheque in the post no? yeah, I think the flyers Franck was distributing at the comps said "bfg@cerocscotland.com", but don't quote me on it. :cool:

Time to get a paypal (http://www.paypal.co.uk) account if you don't already have one. (I'd also recommend a google gmail (http://www.gmail.com) account to use as an email address with it, if you don't have any other good permanent address.)

Is it time to start the countdown a la 'that place'? Hurray it's only *blah* days until BFG!!! :clap: Ah canny wait!!! By my figures, that's 40 days 'til the BFG!!! :clap:

JoC
11th-September-2005, 04:38 PM
If I were Franck I'd charge the full amount to put who wanted to put a check in the post, rather than use the forum and paypal, but then I'm pretty evil. :devil:Yes that seem unnecessarily evil. Not everyone feels secure paying for things using the internet, and believe it or not, not everyone has plastic.

Time to get a paypal (http://www.paypal.co.uk) account if you don't already have one. You are clearly in the employ of Paypal.

By my figures, that's 40 days 'til the BFG!!! :clap:*cuffs across ear*

ducasi
11th-September-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes that seem unnecessarily evil. ... If you are reading other threads, you'll see I'm feeling particularly grumpy at the moment. :mad: Probably lack of sleep and exhaustion after a long workshop. :sick:

Workshop was good though! :waycool:

JoC
11th-September-2005, 04:59 PM
If you are reading other threads, you'll see I'm feeling particularly grumpy at the moment. :mad: Probably lack of sleep and exhaustion after a long workshop. :sick:Yeah grumpy pants! Come back when you're prepared to savour forum nonsense in an appropriately ridiculous spirit or prepare to be mocked. ;) (Oops too late! I already did... :o )

ducasi
11th-September-2005, 05:17 PM
Yeah grumpy pants! Come back when you're prepared to savour forum nonsense in an appropriately ridiculous spirit or prepare to be mocked. ;) (Oops too late! I already did... :o ) I'm writing up my blog for my Grand Tour – that's putting me in a better mood. :nice:

Until I think that it's all over. :tears:

What I really need is a hug. :o

(Sorry for the thread diversion... :blush: )

Piglet
11th-September-2005, 05:26 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
For Ducasi :D
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

ducasi
11th-September-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks Piglet, that was just what I needed. :flower:

I'm already feeling much more like the nice, sweet guy you all know. :nice:

So, as I was saying... Only 40 days to go!!! :clap: :waycool:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
11th-September-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes that seem unnecessarily evil. Not everyone feels secure paying for things using the internet..

:yeah: I'll pay for things over the internet using a credit card, but won't use PayPal, so it'll need to be a cheque from me too!

Dreadful Scathe
11th-September-2005, 09:56 PM
paypal is pretty secure - its owned by ebay after all :)

Northants Girly
12th-September-2005, 11:28 AM
Checked the two hotels out that Lory recommended, but both fully booked already. Any idea on any other also within walking distance? What is the Devoncove Hotel like? On the same road I think? £50 per room per night B&B based on 2 sharing.
Has anyone else any up to date info on nearby hotels that may still have vacancies?

Lucy Locket/DianaS - are you two still undecided or are you gonna join us? :grin:

drathzel
12th-September-2005, 11:32 AM
What is the Devoncove Hotel like? On the same road I think? £50 per room per night B&B based on 2 sharing.

Is about 5/10 mins walk from GUU (turn left walk to traffic lights turn right ont road passing thro Kelvin Park, walk to end there is GUU) I hear it is quite nice! :hug:

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 11:42 AM
OK, I don't have time to read all this thread, and search for details, so what I've worked out so far:

Oct 21, 22, 23 in Glasgow.

Can someone please tell me where can I find full details, and book?

Also, is anyone thinking of going, not booked yet, and would like to share a room (to cut the cost!).

DavidY
12th-September-2005, 12:03 PM
Also, is anyone thinking of going, not booked yet, and would like to share a room (to cut the cost!).KatieR was (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143063#post143063) a while ago - not sure if she found anyone.

Oh and me..

KatieR
12th-September-2005, 07:23 PM
KatieR was (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143063#post143063) a while ago - not sure if she found anyone.

Oh and me..

I was contacted about it, and I thought it was being planned but nothing has happened as yet... although I am now starting to believe that I really cant afford it as I have some serious cash outgoings happening atm because of moving.

Dizzy
13th-September-2005, 04:08 PM
I was contacted about it, and I thought it was being planned but nothing has happened as yet... although I am now starting to believe that I really cant afford it as I have some serious cash outgoings happening atm because of moving.

No, don't say that!!
I have already booked a double room for us now!!

TiggsTours - If KatieR is pulling out, you can share with me. :flower:

Icey
14th-September-2005, 01:54 PM
Yes there was - you could pay using "PayPal" last year.I'm still waiting for Franck to tell us how he wants us to pay this time, but last year I just put a cheque in the post.

Well, I've just paid my fifty squid via paypal ... how many days left now?

TiggsTours
14th-September-2005, 01:58 PM
No, don't say that!!
I have already booked a double room for us now!!

TiggsTours - If KatieR is pulling out, you can share with me. :flower:
Thanks, but I just can't find a cheap enough flight to make it worthwhile.

ducasi
14th-September-2005, 02:55 PM
:clap: http://www.cerocscotland.com/BFG.htm :clap:

ducasi
14th-September-2005, 10:59 PM
Well, I've just paid my fifty squid via paypal ... how many days left now? 37 days, but don't worry, it'll be only 36 days quite soon!!! :clap:

Northants Girly
15th-September-2005, 06:17 PM
Well, I've just paid my fifty squid via paypal ... :yeah:

Me too :D

Night Owl
15th-September-2005, 06:34 PM
me too :clap:

just need accomodation now

any ideas as previous hotels seem to be booked up

Icey
15th-September-2005, 06:38 PM

any ideas as previous hotels seem to be booked up

If Dizzy has booked a twin room she might be interested in a room mate - see previous. Might be worth a try?

Northants Girly
15th-September-2005, 06:41 PM

any ideas as previous hotels seem to be booked upYou could try Smoothhound (http://www.s-h-systems.co.uk/index.html) - might be useful as you can order the results of your search by postcode - so use the postcode of one of the other hotels?

Then there is always Laterooms.com (http://www.laterooms.com/global.uni.php3)

Lastminute.com (http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/hotels)

Superbreak (http://www.superbreak.com/)

Travelodge (http://www.travelodge.co.uk/)

PremierTravelInn (http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do)

Good Luck!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
15th-September-2005, 07:48 PM
Do we need to use Paypal, because I don't have a credit card.

ducasi
15th-September-2005, 11:47 PM
Do we need to use Paypal, because I don't have a credit card. I don't think you need a credit card to use PayPal, just a "switch" card would do. But I also think that Franck is taking cheques mailed to him. :nice:

Night Owl
16th-September-2005, 12:15 AM
If Dizzy has booked a twin room she might be interested in a room mate - see previous. Might be worth a try?

I wish :yum: :grin:

TiggsTours
16th-September-2005, 10:33 AM
Anyone know of any cheap flights from London area?

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
16th-September-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't think you need a credit card to use PayPal, just a "switch" card would do. But I also think that Franck is taking cheques mailed to him. :nice:

No Switch either, so I guess it is cheque.

TiggsTours
16th-September-2005, 12:02 PM
No Switch either, so I guess it is cheque.
Do you have a bank account? Do you use the ATM? Do you ever pay in a shop with adebit card? If yes, paypal should accept that card, if no, which century did you just get your time machine in from!

Switch is now called Maestro, by the way, but paypal have not updated their system.

CJ
16th-September-2005, 12:07 PM
Do you have a bank account? Do you use the ATM? Do you ever pay in a shop with adebit card? If yes, paypal should accept that card, if no, which century did you just get your time machine in from!

Switch is now called Maestro, by the way, but paypal have not updated their system.

Play nice: she's a student!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

clevedonboy
16th-September-2005, 12:16 PM
Anyone know of any cheap flights from London area?
bmi? www.flybmi.com
easyjet? http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/index.asp

JoC
16th-September-2005, 01:19 PM
What exactly is a tea dance? A dance that takes place during the hours when afternoon teas might be served?

Icey
16th-September-2005, 01:24 PM
I wish :yum: :grin:

Easy tiger :rofl:

CJ
16th-September-2005, 01:26 PM
What exactly is a tea dance? A dance that takes place during the hours when afternoon teas might be served?

This is the basic assumption, but I don't actually know if there will be tea served at BFG :confused: with scones and clotted cream :drool:

Oh, FYI: like yourself, JoC, I'm actually too young to know about these: MissyD told me ALL about them :whistle:

:D

JoC
16th-September-2005, 01:39 PM
scones and clotted cream :drool: and jam

clevedonboy
16th-September-2005, 02:22 PM
A brief histoy of tea dances http://www.cafedirect.co.uk/teaDances/history.php

Modern tea dances have different approaches - Riviera Leroc in Taunton just play some music at the venue and have the bar open (G&T dance) whereas Andy McG in Finden provides the Full Monty - tea, sandwiches & cake. The ones I've been to tend to be more relaxed than evening freestyles, more chatting & more "off the wall" music.

Minnie M
16th-September-2005, 02:28 PM
.......Andy McG in Finden provides the Full Monty - tea, sandwiches & cake.....
Don't forget the Sunday newspapers too :D
BTW do you know the person who nicks the free CDs with the suppliments :whistle:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
16th-September-2005, 07:43 PM

Hey! You nasty nasty person! I don't have a debit card, I use a book because I like to know how much money I have, and be able to keep track of my spending, and that is harder to do with lots of little bits of paper. I also do not like the machines as they are not as safe so EXCUSE ME for being careful :na:

And BTW, I just decorated my time machine, it's now fuscha pink with fluffy pink seats as I like to be comfortable when I go on my long journeys. I'll bring it to the BFG if you like? I'll just be back from visiting Marilyn Monroe, and James Dean that week as it is the October week so you can see it then, i'll park it in Kelvinway. :cool:

And thanks for sticking up for me CJ :nice: Student life is extremely hard.

Ash
(Doc who's best mate)

Night Owl
16th-September-2005, 10:18 PM
Easy tiger :rofl:

Lol

got my accomodation sorted :yeah:

so Dizzy can breath a sigh of relief :rofl:

but a dance with you all will be great :flower:

but treat me gently tho i`m new to all this dancing

Icey
17th-September-2005, 06:41 PM
but a dance with you all will be great :flower:

but treat me gently tho i`m new to all this dancing

That's just asking for my standard response ... " I don't bite, but then again ... if you ask nicely"

JoC
17th-September-2005, 07:28 PM
treat me gently tho i`m new to all this dancing
Looking forward to seeing you there Iain. ;)

Are any of the others from team Inverness coming down?

(Reminds me I'd better book my ticket...)

Minnie M
17th-September-2005, 07:32 PM

I'm looking forward to meeting BOTH of you - save me a couple of dances please :flower:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
17th-September-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting BOTH of you - save me a couple of dances please :flower:
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

JoC
17th-September-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting BOTH of you - save me a couple of dances please :flower:Me too Minnie! :grin: Think you were at Twyford when I came down recently but we didn't meet, it was kinda busy and I didn't have a clue who more than a small handful of people were! Now you've got your pic on the forumite photo gallery I'll know who to look out for :hug:

In fact really looking forward to meeting and dancing with a lot of new people :clap:

(and 'old' people too of course)

Minnie M
17th-September-2005, 09:24 PM
(and 'old' people too of course)
:whistle:

Night Owl
18th-September-2005, 12:16 AM

Hi JoC

there may be a few others coming down on Sat will work on them tho :wink:

I`m in for the whole w/e :clap: if i can find my way there :whistle: ,not too sure of Glasgow :tears:

does any one know if there will be parking at the venue incase I can`t get parked at hotel

Looking forward to it :yeah:

see you all soon

Night Owl
18th-September-2005, 12:19 AM

:yeah: looking forward to that :clap:

JoC
18th-September-2005, 11:15 AM
does any one know if there will be parking at the venue incase I can`t get parked at hotelThere's plenty of street parking in the area. Not sure how busy it'll be but I didn't have any problems finding a space within a minute or so of the union last time I did a workshop there.

ducasi
18th-September-2005, 11:39 AM
There's plenty of street parking in the area. Not sure how busy it'll be but I didn't have any problems finding a space within a minute or so of the union last time I did a workshop there.
I think the parking in the streets is metered, right? I'm not sure, but it might be harder to find parking during term-time... (Even if it's the weekend.)

The Union does have a car-park, but I think it's for staff and committee members only.

Tiggerbabe
18th-September-2005, 10:08 PM
Exactly that Jo, there will be coffee, tea, juice and cakes/biscuits along with a solid helping of some fabby music so you can chill or dance whichever takes your fancy :D

Dreadful Scathe
19th-September-2005, 01:49 PM
Exactly that Jo, there will be coffee, tea, juice and cakes/biscuits along with a solid helping of some fabby music so you can chill or dance whichever takes your fancy :D

Will there be cappuccinos ? and little chocolates ? :yum:

Lynn
27th-September-2005, 03:57 PM
OK - I know I was getting confused about which weekend was the last weekend of September - but why on earth have I had it in my head for months that the BFG was the weekend of 14-16th Oct? Its not! I thought I couldn't go - but maybe I can :grin: Of course now I have left it too late for cheap flights and accomodation! :tears:

OK, for the second time this week... how stupid am I? And do I need another diary? Or maybe a wall calendar? Year planner?....

drathzel
27th-September-2005, 04:14 PM
OK - I know I was getting confused about which weekend was the last weekend of September - but why on earth have I had it in my head for months that the BFG was the weekend of 14-16th Oct? Its not! I thought I couldn't go - but maybe I can :grin: Of course now I have left it too late for cheap flights and accomodation! :tears:

OK, for the second time this week... how stupid am I? And do I need another diary? Or maybe a wall calendar? Year planner?....

have you checked for flights? i got my flights home for £26 and that was booking 1 week and 2 days before i am flying!

Lynn
27th-September-2005, 04:23 PM
Problem is I would most likely need to fly home Sun night - which bumps up the price a lot. I can't believe I didn't realise it was the following weekend than I thought it was. :tears: I was going through old files and came across last year's brochure, which was what reminded me that at that stage I intended to go... then double checked the dates... doh!

drathzel
27th-September-2005, 04:35 PM
Problem is I would most likely need to fly home Sun night - which bumps up the price a lot. I can't believe I didn't realise it was the following weekend than I thought it was. :tears: I was going through old files and came across last year's brochure, which was what reminded me that at that stage I intended to go... then double checked the dates... doh!

you could always rail and sail for £30 (i think) but its quite a long journey and yu'd need to check out times etc
:hug:

Lynn
27th-September-2005, 04:40 PM
you could always rail and sail for £30 (i think) but its quite a long journey and yu'd need to check out times etc
:hug:Already been trying to phone re that option but no-one answering the phone! No, guess I'll have to admit defeat on this one, for cost reasons. Ah well, there's Camber in Nov!

drathzel
27th-September-2005, 04:41 PM
Already been trying to phone re that option but no-one answering the phone! No, guess I'll have to admit defeat on this one, for cost reasons. Ah well, there's Camber in Nov!

try the stena web site, or ring lunn poly! I'm not letting you give up :clap: :D

Dizzy
27th-September-2005, 04:43 PM
try the stena web site, or ring lunn poly! I'm not letting you give up :clap: :D

Yeah, don't give up!!

It won't be the same without you!!

Piglet
27th-September-2005, 04:51 PM
:yeah: I'd love to meet you too Lynn (so will keep everything crossed)

Lynn
27th-September-2005, 04:51 PM
I can get a sail and rail deal for £135 B&B - arrive Fri 9:30pm, leave Sunday 4:25pm...would still be there for most of it. Its in the Quality Hotel - anyone know how far that is from the venue? (Its right beside Central Station so handy travel wise).

Dreadful Scathe
27th-September-2005, 05:39 PM
I can get a sail and rail deal for £135 B&B - arrive Fri 9:30pm, leave Sunday 4:25pm...would still be there for most of it. Its in the Quality Hotel - anyone know how far that is from the venue? (Its right beside Central Station so handy travel wise).
you have little legs so thatll be at least a 40 minute walk id say :) not too bad in a taxi though ..

Rachel
27th-September-2005, 05:55 PM
I can get a sail and rail deal for £135 B&B - arrive Fri 9:30pm, leave Sunday 4:25pm...would still be there for most of it. Its in the Quality Hotel - anyone know how far that is from the venue? (Its right beside Central Station so handy travel wise).Oh Lynn, do try and come! We're coming up now - sorted just yesterday. I'm soooo pleased. :clap:

I had to laugh when I saw the teachers' rota - Marc is teaching a men's styling workshop!!! Franck, that must have been your idea? Are there really guys around who want to learn how to dance Marc-stylee??? :really: :D

Rachel x

Edit - just re-read that and it sounds cruel. Not meant to be - of course, Marc is gorgeous to dance with. He's just very ... 'individual'.

drathzel
27th-September-2005, 06:30 PM

Ho DS, i only have little legs and i can do central to sauchiehall street in 10 mins and the gu is only 10 mins walk from there (used to live in the area, i know!!!) other wise Lynn you could possibly ask some rather nice taxi's to be on duty.... see how i did that... arent i sooo smart!!!!! :clap:

Lynn
27th-September-2005, 06:35 PM
you have little legs so thatll be at least a 40 minute walk id say :) not too bad in a taxi though ..Oh but these little legs can walk quite fast! :wink:

ducasi
27th-September-2005, 06:38 PM
So did you all see that the schedule has been posted? :clap:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/BFG.htm

Now I have some decisions to make... Blues and DT are a must...

I wonder if I'm "advanced" enough for any of the RED workshops... Hmm...

killingtime
27th-September-2005, 11:54 PM
I had to laugh when I saw the teachers' rota - Marc is teaching a men's styling workshop!!! Franck, that must have been your idea? Are there really guys around who want to learn how to dance Marc-stylee??? :really: :D

I saw you two dance together. It was amazing :worthy:. In answer to your question; "yes" I'd love to have a little bit of Marc's style imparted to me :D.

Minnie M
27th-September-2005, 11:59 PM
.......I wonder if I'm "advanced" enough for any of the RED workshops... Hmm...
interesting .....
when does one think they are advanced :blush: or is it for someone else to decide

killingtime
28th-September-2005, 12:23 AM
interesting .....
when does one think they are advanced :blush: or is it for someone else to decide

Well according to the guide:

GREEN: Suitable for recent dancers / improver level (typically 3 months or more of dancing).
AMBER: Suitable for competent intermediates (more than 6 months dancing or previous dance experience)
RED: Suitable for more advanced, very competent dancers (more than a year and previous workshops experience)

So there you go. A year. Saying that I'm hoping that I can cope with the intermediate level despite that fact I will have only been dancing for just under 4 months by that point. I did do an Intermediate/Advanced class (dips and drops) down at Southport but with a fixed partner and I made her sign a disclaimer first :). If she wanted to I'd happily have her, or someone else, as a fixed partner again in another dips and drop class but I think I should go for something rated a little less difficult like the Funky Jive or the mysterious easy thing that Marc is doing :eek:.

Gadget
28th-September-2005, 12:26 AM
So did you all see that the schedule has been posted? :clap:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/BFG.htm

Now I have some decisions to make... Blues and DT are a must...

I wonder if I'm "advanced" enough for any of the RED workshops... Hmm...
So are these all open for anyone, or will numbers for each be limited, or how's it going to work? I think I know which ones I would like to attend: do I have to let someone know, or just turn up with a winsome smile and flutter my eyelashes?

ducasi
28th-September-2005, 12:33 AM
interesting .....
when does one think they are advanced :blush: or is it for someone else to decide Well my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, based on recent discussions here... :na:

But if you want to explore it... On the page red workshops are defined as "Suitable for more advanced, very competent dancers (more than a year and previous workshops experience)"

But in the class tonight, Franck said to ask him if you weren't sure, so I will! :nice:

I don't think I'm "advanced", not when I've only been dancing about 7 months (though it could be thought of as about a year based on the number of classes I've attended), but it's already clear to me that most of the advanced workshops would be beyond me.

That said, as I've already done a few dips and drops in other workshops, I wonder if I could well be "advanced" enough for the workshop called "safe dips and drops".

I also figure I might be able to get away with sneaking into the advanced musicality workshop, and even if I can't figure out what's going on, I could still listen and watch...

What do you reckon? Do you think I'd make the invite list? :wink: :devil:

LMC
28th-September-2005, 09:17 AM
... I'm hoping that I can cope with the intermediate level despite that fact I will have only been dancing for just under 4 months by that point.
I'll have been dancing just over 5 months by the time of the BFG - but going an average of 3-4 times a week. But time, although a major factor, shouldn't be the deciding factor in how good a dancer you are (IMO). I had no trouble keeping up with intermediate classes at Southport so... beginner and intermediate classes for me at the BFG. I also hope spectators are allowed for the musicality workshop - I'm 99.9% sure I wouldn't be up to standard but would love to watch and learn :flower:

Rachel
28th-September-2005, 10:19 AM
I saw you two dance together. It was amazing :worthy:. In answer to your question; "yes" I'd love to have a little bit of Marc's style imparted to me :D. Thanks! :hug:

No, the only reason I laughed when I saw the rota, was cos the very first image that sprang to mind was a new band of male modern jivers doing double-handed behind-the-back elbow rolls with triple spins

…. while moon walking

But I'm sure Marc won't teach that … :wink:

Actually, I can't wait to see his style class. (Will women be allowed to watch?) Marc can be wacky, but he's also brilliant at changing his style according to the music. He can fake it at anything – swing, hip hop, tango'esque, latin, tap dancing … even ballet (which he's done in front of a paying audience). Sometimes he can even do straight Ceroc!

But I so want to do Emma's ladies' style class, too, which is on at the same time ….

Lynn - any news yet on whether you can come?

Rachel

Rachel
28th-September-2005, 10:25 AM
Good to see you back, Gadget! How's fatherhood'idom going with all those children of yours?

... or just turn up with a winsome smile and flutter my eyelashes? Absolutely - do that with me! (Won't get you into any workshops, though ....)

R. x

killingtime
28th-September-2005, 10:40 AM
No, the only reason I laughed when I saw the rota, was cos the very first image that sprang to mind was a new band of male modern jivers doing double-handed behind-the-back elbow rolls with triple spins

Hey; if he can teach me how to do a double-handed behind-the-back elbow rolls with triple spin then I'd be there (not that I'm not planning on being there anyway) and quite possibly need to set up a "We Worship Marc Club :worthy:" at the same time.

Actually, I can't wait to see his style class. (Will women be allowed to watch?)

Unlike the Ladies Style classes men's style wasn't men only at Southport. I can see some women who lead a lot might want to check out the men's style class; though they could probably just apply a lot of the style they use as a follower to leading.

Lynn
28th-September-2005, 10:42 AM
I'll have been dancing just over 5 months by the time of the BFG - but going an average of 3-4 times a week. But time, although a major factor, shouldn't be the deciding factor in how good a dancer you are (IMO). I had no trouble keeping up with intermediate classes at Southport so... beginner and intermediate classes for me at the BFG. I also hope spectators are allowed for the musicality workshop - I'm 99.9% sure I wouldn't be up to standard but would love to watch and learn :flower:I agree that length of time isn't everything - but frequency does count. I have been dancing now for two years - but with big gaps - eg only danced once properly in between June and Sep Southport - and even then all but a handful of dances were with complete beginners (ie their first night). (I don't do as many workshops at weekenders now as many are about moves that none of the NI guys are doing - so I won't be led in them - therefore not helping my dancing as much as freestyle does. But workshops like styling and musicality will be things I can learn and put into action. I really want to learn!)

Lynn - any news yet on whether you can come?I can come, in terms of diary and time, but I don't think I can come in terms of cost. :tears: I'm not being mean, I really have a tight budget and while I am skilled at making a small amount of money go a long way, there are limits to what I can do! (and little things like a mortgage and food to pay for)

Franck
28th-September-2005, 11:18 AM
But if you want to explore it... On the page red workshops are defined as "Suitable for more advanced, very competent dancers (more than a year and previous workshops experience)"

But in the class tonight, Franck said to ask him if you weren't sure, so I will! :nice:

I don't think I'm "advanced", not when I've only been dancing about 7 months (though it could be thought of as about a year based on the number of classes I've attended), but it's already clear to me that most of the advanced workshops would be beyond me.The colour coding and time requirements are mostly guidelines. As many people have said, some dancers are better after 6 months than others who have been dancing for 2 years...
A few people asked me on Tuesday whether they would be ok for the red workshops, and my reply was based on their ability to follow / lead, and how often they dances (as well as having done a variety of workshops / week-enders / experiencing different teachers / etc...).

Finally, there might be areas where you are more confident than others, and so you might be ok to do the red musicality workshop, but not the red footwork.

Ultimately, there are 2 factors to consider:

1- Are you ready / able to understand what will be taught? If not, the workshop will be wasted on you, so you might be better off joining one of the Orange or Green classes.

2- Will you be slowing down the pace of the class? Doing the class fixed-partners might help, but teachers can't help noticing if someone is struggling, so might slow down anyway, which could be frustrating for other dancers.

Overall, if you feel you might be under the required level but would like to do the workshop anyway, it might be a good idea to talk to the teacher and tell them to ignore you if you're struggling :wink:

Finally, the 'you' above, doesn't refer to Ducasi (I just used his quote to answer a general point).

Gadget
28th-September-2005, 01:25 PM

…. while moon walking ...:blush: ...erm... guilty?
Mark is one of the most inspiring dancers to watch (& learn from) - I'll certainly be in his workshops on the Saturday... although I'm torn on the Sunday as to what to do? :confused:

And the tea dances running at the same time as the workshops :tears: but, but, but, but... waaaaa

Good to see you back, Gadget! How's fatherhood'idom going with all those children of yours?:flower: :hug: my 4 year old wants to dance like daddy after watching some of the Scottish champs DVD I got lent... she likes CJ for some unfathomable reason - I think it's the kilt. My 2year old just wants to hit things with swords and my 1 year old is just eating everything that's not nailed down. So, pretty normal. :wink:

Minnie M
28th-September-2005, 01:43 PM
.......What do you reckon? Do you think I'd make the invite list? :wink: :devil:
:rofl: been sussed :blush:
Yes was thinking about this thing of mine when I saw the post :flower:
Looking forward to dancing with you ducasi :hug:

Chicklet
28th-September-2005, 05:21 PM
... she likes CJ for some unfathomable reason - I think it's the kilt. My 2year old just wants to hit things with swords
Doesn't that make the 2 year old the CJ fan then?? :confused:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
28th-September-2005, 05:42 PM
I'd quite like to try the Amber workshops, i'll have been dancing around 6 months by the time of the BFG, Mairi's 'Do your thing' workshop sounds really good :D i'd like to do that one!

I'll need to get myself booked up-can I do it next tuesday at Jumpin'Jaks?

killingtime
29th-September-2005, 10:28 AM
Off-topic this but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I was actually making motions to book (finally) and since I don't trust this newfangled paypal thing (alright; I forgot my password) I was going to email and then send a cheque. Does anyone know the email address I should use? I couldn't see it on the page about the BFG but maybe I'm just being stupid.

Franck
29th-September-2005, 11:40 AM
I'd quite like to try the Amber workshops, i'll have been dancing around 6 months by the time of the BFG, Mairi's 'Do your thing' workshop sounds really good :D i'd like to do that one!

I'll need to get myself booked up-can I do it next tuesday at Jumpin'Jaks?Yep, as of next week, bookings will be taken at all Scottish venues. If you are planning to book for the classes (ie. one of the packages) make sure you book early as I will be balancing male / female bookings and once all the female spaces are taken I will close the list.
If you're only doing the parties, you will be able to buy tickets for the Saturday night (Friday / Sunday you'll be able to buy at the door)

I am currently working on the DJ line-up (now that the teachers / masterclasses are done) and we really have some incredible DJs to match the exceptional line-up of teachers!
Tiggerbabe and Marc will open the ceremonies on the Friday night, giving everyone a chance to meet our Southern friends and catch a few dances...
On the Saturday, all the DJs will get to play a set in the 3 available rooms: Tiggerbabe, Marc, Tramp, Ceroc Jock, Dance Demon, Funky Si.

I was actually making motions to book (finally) and since I don't trust this newfangled paypal thing (alright; I forgot my password) I was going to email and then send a cheque. Does anyone know the email address I should use? I couldn't see it on the page about the BFG but maybe I'm just being stupid.Whoops, I have now updated the
BFG page (http://cerocscotland.com/BFG.htm) to include the email address ( bfg@cerocscotland.com ).

The full timetable of teachers is also up there and I've also added a few extra services available during the week-end:

Kingdom of Dance will have a stall selling shoes and dancewear.
Aleks will offer Kinesiology, Bill will offer BTC massages and Roz will offer Back Magic chair massage...

For those of you missing the BFG because you couldn't make that week-end, now is the time to mark the next big week-end in your diary:

The November (19th/20th) Beach Ballroom Week-end in Aberdeen. I have just confirmed our guest teacher: Amir Giles. Check out the Beach Ballroom page (http://cerocscotland.com/Beach.htm) for more info! :D

LMC
29th-September-2005, 11:57 AM
Does that mean we need to pick workshops NOW :eek: ? - and how do we book 'em please? :flower:

Thanks

Franck
29th-September-2005, 12:17 PM
Does that mean we need to pick workshops NOW :eek: ? - and how do we book 'em please? :flower:No, :nice: , no need to panic.

As long as you are booked for the day, you can go to any workshops you want and decide on the day. I am just trying to make sure that we have a similar number of women and men booked for each day so that numbers are balanced. Each class will be self-service though, and unfortunately, if all the women decidde to go to one workshop and all the men go to another, we'll have an imbalance... From experience that doesn't happen though, and each class will be even numbered. It will be like the classes at Southport but with much smaller numbers.

I hope that makes sense.

LMC
29th-September-2005, 01:33 PM
As long as you are booked for the day, you can go to any workshops you want and decide on the day.
Perfick, Icey and I were having far too much fun endlessly discussing which ones we think we'll get most out of to want to decide yet :D - fantastic line up, really hard to decide on some of them, looking forward to more detail as you get it :nice:

Thanks Franck

Icey
29th-September-2005, 02:03 PM
Perfick, Icey and I were having far too much fun endlessly discussing which ones we think we'll get most out of to want to decide yet :D - fantastic line up, really hard to decide on some of them, looking forward to more detail as you get it :nice:

Thanks Franck

I think it may come down to a coin toss on the day to decide if it's the amber or green workshop or the tea-dance as they all sound so fab and I really want to do them all I'm not even going to consider the red workshops.

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm gonna come to the BFG!! :clap:

And I'm sooo looking forward to it! :grin:

CJ
29th-September-2005, 02:31 PM

Looking forward to meeting you!!

So, tickets? Check
travel? check
Accommodation? Check
fancy dress as someone else's avatar?!?

killingtime
29th-September-2005, 02:34 PM
fancy dress as someone else's avatar?!?

Taxi dancers have it easy. They can just wear their T-shirts and come as Frank's avatar :D.

drathzel
29th-September-2005, 02:36 PM
Taxi dancers have it easy. They can just wear their T-shirts and come as Frank's avatar :D.

WOO HOO :yeah: :clap:

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 02:37 PM
Looking forward to meeting you!!

So, tickets? Check
travel? check
Accommodation? Check
fancy dress as someone else's avatar?!? Think I'm booked OK and have somewhere to stay. Booking flights today. Fancy dress as someone's avatar - have to think about that one. I think I can safely say I won't try yours CJ!

Cruella
29th-September-2005, 06:37 PM
OK before i book flights i need some accomodation. Have left it so late i'm not sure there is much left. :tears: Can anyone help with hotels etc but obviously have no transport so need something near the venue and not too expensive. Any info gratefully recieved :D

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
29th-September-2005, 07:35 PM

WOOHOO! Fantastic news Lynn :D I'll be booking myself up on wednesday hopefully. Damn this student lifestyle-i'm in high demand at the moment! :D :devil:

dee
29th-September-2005, 07:37 PM
Wish i was going :tears: hope you all have a great time!!!!

ducasi
29th-September-2005, 10:39 PM
OK before i book flights i need some accomodation. Have left it so late i'm not sure there is much left. :tears: Can anyone help with hotels etc but obviously have no transport so need something near the venue and not too expensive. Any info gratefully recieved :D Try the Devoncove (http://www.devoncovehotel.co.uk/).

I might have a futon, but it's on offer to someone else at the moment...

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 11:27 PM
WOOHOO! Fantastic news Lynn :D I'll be booking myself up on wednesday hopefully. Looking forward to meeting you Ash! :flower:

Cruella
30th-September-2005, 08:07 AM
Try the Devoncove (http://www.devoncovehotel.co.uk/).

I might have a futon, but it's on offer to someone else at the moment...
Thanks Ducasi it looks nice. :grin: Do you know how far it is from the venue? Is anyone else staying there?

ducasi
30th-September-2005, 08:27 AM
Do you know how far it is from the venue? Is anyone else staying there? It's very near to the Angus Hotel, just one block up... so, it's quite close to the venue, maybe a 5 minute walk. I know of one person who'll be staying there – I expect there'll be more...

Lynn
30th-September-2005, 09:31 PM
I was going to have a 'forum break' this week and am so glad I didn't. I wouldn't have realised that I had the dates wrong for the BFG (although it was a 'yes I can go', 'no I can't' situation for a while - I have to get a better paid job, or persuade my current job to give me a few more hours!) and wouldn't now be going. Thanks to those who PMed me (you know who you are) - not only did it make me feel wanted (insert warm fuzzy feeling type smiley) but it made the difference in me going. :hug:

I am so much looking forward to coming over and dancing in Scotland! And meeting more forumites of course.

Tiggerbabe
2nd-October-2005, 09:37 PM
I am so much looking forward to coming over and dancing in Scotland!
Fantastic news that you're coming Lynn, I promise you're gonna have a fantastic time!

Went shopping yesterday and am feeling very chuffed with the purchases I managed to make for my avatar costume :clap: :wink:

Lynn
3rd-October-2005, 10:30 AM
Went shopping yesterday and am feeling very chuffed with the purchases I managed to make for my avatar costume :clap: :wink:I'm going to have to be good and not go shopping for a while - well maybe aside from Primark :wink: (confession - the top I wore to the Forum reception at Southport was out of Primark - and it was 20p! ). Now what sort of avatar outfit can I get in Primark...

Dreadful Scathe
5th-October-2005, 10:49 PM
The B.F.G. is now only a few weeks away....and only a few people bothered to vote and we had even fewer nominations. I expected this though - too complicated for the lot of you (except for a select few - you know who you are). But now we need votes.......and for as many catagories as you can possibly manage too....

VOTING IS ONE CLICK AWAY

go HERE (http://planetscathe.com/feedback.html) and vote

If you have sent me a PM with a vote it WILL be counted but you can vote again if you like if you feel you were not specific enough.

Mary
5th-October-2005, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know how to book and pay online. Have clicked the link but it comes up with a page saying I don't have these priveliges or something like that. Have I missed something?

Help gratefully received.

M

Lory
5th-October-2005, 11:27 PM
VOTING IS ONE CLICK AWAY

I've done mine! :innocent: :D

Tiggerbabe
6th-October-2005, 12:35 AM
I've done mine! :innocent: :D
me too :hug: :D

Northants Girly
7th-October-2005, 06:03 PM
VOTING IS ONE CLICK AWAY

Ok - a probably really dumb question . . .

Can we vote for anyone on the forum or does it just have to be for those going to the BFG? :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-October-2005, 06:20 PM
That is a dumb question :) but Drathzel did ask it before you...;)

you vote for who you like, we can't guarantee anyone of the winners will be there but i expect the majority of them will. Its a fun awards ceromony not to be taken too seriously.

Anyway - winners who arent going can send in an acceptance video from their palatial mansion thanking the voters if they so wish ;)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
12th-October-2005, 05:24 PM
I don't have a costume for the avatar party! :tears: HEEEEEEELLLPPPP!!!! If any Glasgow forumites are going to be there tonight, expect a visit from me asking for ideas! At least I no which avatar I want to be!

killingtime
12th-October-2005, 05:32 PM
I don't have a costume for the avatar party! :tears: HEEEEEEELLLPPPP!!!! If any Glasgow forumites are going to be there tonight, expect a visit from me asking for ideas! At least I no which avatar I want to be!

On that note if anyone would like to use my picture as their avatar for the next week and a half I'd be really grateful :hug:.

Aleks
12th-October-2005, 09:23 PM
On that note if anyone would like to use my picture as their avatar for the next week and a half I'd be really grateful :hug:.

Doesn't Asif use the same avatar as you :wink: ?

Dance Demon
12th-October-2005, 10:59 PM
Anyone arriving early for the BFG?...say like thursday night?....an extra nights dancing can be had at the poshest ceroc venue in the country...Rutherglen Town Hall....we'll be glad to see you:D

Minnie M
12th-October-2005, 11:40 PM
Anyone arriving early for the BFG?...say like thursday night?....an extra nights dancing can be had at the poshest ceroc venue in the country...Rutherglen Town Hall....we'll be glad to see you:D

We will be there on Thursday :clap: :clap: where is Rutherglen Town Hall in relation to the Angus Hotel in Glasgow ?

Tiggerbabe
12th-October-2005, 11:43 PM
We will be there on Thursday :clap: :clap: where is Rutherglen Town Hall in relation to the Angus Hotel in Glasgow ?
You'd definitely need a cab (I've no idea what that would cost) or a lift Minnie, but I have to agree with DD it's a fabulous venue - you'd love it :D

killingtime
12th-October-2005, 11:44 PM
Doesn't Asif use the same avatar as you :wink: ?

Not quite what I had in mind :D...

Northants Girly
14th-October-2005, 11:50 AM
Anyone arriving early for the BFG?...say like thursday night?.... :yeah: yep!

an extra nights dancing can be had at the poshest ceroc venue in the country...Rutherglen Town Hall....we'll be glad to see you
I've heard that Marco's in Edinburgh is worth a trip to on a Thursday evening too . . . :)

Does anyone in Glasgow, with room in their car for a well behaved emu and a friendly mouse, go to either of these 2 venues? :D

Minnie M
14th-October-2005, 11:57 AM
:yeah: yep!

I've heard that Marco's in Edinburgh is worth a trip to on a Thursday evening too . . . :)

Does anyone in Glasgow, with room in their car for a well behaved emu and a friendly mouse, go to either of these 2 venues? :D
:tears: I want to go the other place "Rutherglen Town Hall " :sad: which one is nearer ? (just did a google search and Rutherglen Town Hall is in Glasgow)

John S
14th-October-2005, 01:36 PM
I want to go the other place "Rutherglen Town Hall " which one is nearer ? (just did a google search and Rutherglen Town Hall is in Glasgow)

I went once to Rutherglen Town Hall just after it opened, when I was in Glasgow for the night.

It really is a superb venue and from the "Classes in Scotland" link from the CerocScotland opening page it looks as if they now have a "Body Movement & Footwork" class on at the same time as the Beginners. So well worth going if you're in the Glasgow area on Thursday.

You might be able to get a bus or local train out to Rutherglen, but if there are 2 or 3 of you then a taxi would definitely be the best bet (unless you can cadge a lift in the car of someone going from Glasgow City Centre).

Marco's is in Edinburgh, and unless you're planning to stay the Thursday night there I don't think it's feasible to go from the West End of Glasgow, particularly by public transport.

ducasi
14th-October-2005, 11:11 PM
To get from the Angus to Rutherglen this is what I'd do...

First get to the "Exhibition Centre" railway station. (10 minute walk?)
Get on the next train heading east (through Glasgow Central).
About four stations later you're in Rutherglen – get off the train!!!
Cross the big long bridge over the main Glasgow-London railway line, and as you come out, keep heading south and you'll come out on Rutherglen Main Street.
Turn right and head up the road for about 70 yards until you come to a grand looking building with a big tower thing (you could well have seen the tower as you got off the train.)
That's you there, go in!

Getting home, the same in reverse... return ticket will be about £2.20.

Trains run about every 15-20 minutes... To get to the start of the class you want to get the train about about 7:10. (You should double-check this time!) There's quite a few trains running after 10:30 when the class finishes, but don't lave it too late or you'll be stranded!

Seriously advice that first, you take company, and second, you study a map of both where you're coming from (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=257170&y=665555&z=1&sv=257170,665555&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=257170&ay=665555), and where you're going to (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=261285&y=661720&z=1&sv=261285,661720&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=261285&ay=661720).

I wish I could make it, but I'll be at my new Salsa class! :wink:

Tiggerbabe
15th-October-2005, 09:59 AM
Only 6 sleeps now! :clap: :D

Minnie M
15th-October-2005, 10:04 AM
Only 6 sleeps now! :clap: :D
:clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap:

Thanks for directions Ducasi :hug:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
15th-October-2005, 02:54 PM
I like the Rutherglen town hall, and floor is :drool: great for spinning, but watch it can also be quite slippy, nearly fell over b4 lol

Minnie M
15th-October-2005, 03:53 PM
I like the Rutherglen town hall, and floor is :drool: great for spinning, but watch it can also be quite slippy, nearly fell over b4 lol
I lurvvvvv fast floors .... :clap:

Minnie M
16th-October-2005, 08:05 PM
Only 5 sleeps now! :clap: :D
(only 4 for me & Northants Girly as we are travelling up on Thursday :clap: )

David Franklin
17th-October-2005, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I'm going to do another feeble "can you give me directions?" post. (I've tried looking on the web, and keep having strange problems like being unable to find the train station I'm starting from. Or the time the website insisted I really wanted to go to Glasgow Airport, regardless of what street I entered. Technology - pah!).

We're going to be travelling from Edinburgh to Glasgow by train; what's the best way of getting to the Angus from Glasgow mainline (Queens Street, I think) station? Or should we just be lazy and get a taxi?

Thanks!

Dave

ducasi
17th-October-2005, 08:42 AM
David: while I could direct you to buses or to walk the length of Sauchiehall Street, if you're coming with any amount of luggage, the smart choice will be a taxi. Should cost no more than about a fiver.

When you arrive in Queen St Station, to get a taxi you should head for an exit either east or west, not the exit to the south in front of you.

David Franklin
17th-October-2005, 08:46 AM
David: while I could direct you to buses or to walk the length of Sauchiehall Street, if you're coming with any amount of luggage, the smart choice will be a taxi. Should cost no more than about a fiver.Thanks for the advice - such was my suspicion, but there seemed to be a lot of transport links, so wasn't sure if we were missing something.

When you arrive in Queen St Station, to get a taxi you should head for an exit either east or west, not the exit to the south in front of you.
Thanks again! :clap: (Oh, and it seems I can't rep you at the moment...)

ducasi
17th-October-2005, 08:55 AM
No bother... See you this weekend!

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 09:32 AM
Only 4 sleeps now
:yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah:

(and THREE for me ) :whistle:

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 12:36 PM
Open Message to Brady

Need to send you a PM but can't - could you please clear out some of your old PMs

Icey
17th-October-2005, 01:11 PM
Only 4 sleeps now
:yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah:

(and THREE for me ) :whistle:

Minnie, I'm getting the distinct impression that you're rather excited about the BFG this weekend :wink:

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 01:22 PM
Minnie, I'm getting the distinct impression that you're rather excited about the BFG this weekend :wink:
BFG :confused:

:rofl: was so upset I missed it last year and then missing Southport - yeah, you could say I'm a little excited :innocent: :blush: just a tad mind :really:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
17th-October-2005, 04:50 PM
I've been out buying lots of nice things to wear today...and i'll buy the rest tomorrow :whistle: Great! At last a real excuse to go shopping :innocent: