PDA

View Full Version : Tips on dying clothes??

Chicklet
27th-May-2005, 10:46 AM
I have a pale yellow circle skirt that I want to dye black, it's cotton and there's quite a lot of material.

I have dyed undies in a bucket with the little dylon powders and salt but never used the washing machine or tried something this big.

Any tips??

Lou
27th-May-2005, 10:57 AM
I have a pale yellow circle skirt that I want to dye black, it's cotton and there's quite a lot of material.

I have dyed undies in a bucket with the little dylon powders and salt but never used the washing machine or tried something this big.

Any tips??
Definitely do it in the washing machine. You'll get a far more even result. Just get some of that Dylon that's specific for machines.

Don't forget to check what the skirt's made of and whether it's suitable for dyeing.

See - I knew my "B" at Fashion & Textiles A-Level would come in handy one day.... :whistle:

Lory
27th-May-2005, 11:13 AM

Any tips??
I've used the Machine dyes a few times with pretty good results (and the 'best' in on cotton!)

My tip is, don't forget to run the machine through after, empty, for a full cycle on the hottest setting, to clean it!

Good luck! :)

Northants Girly
27th-May-2005, 11:18 AM

Any tips??The dylon stuff for use in washing machines is really good.
You will probably have to buy some salt (table salt not dishwashing machine salt).
Usually you have to bleech any colour out of the garment first (they sell stuff to do this) - but you may get away with not doing this if your skirt is pale yellow.
You say you have alot of material so make sure you weigh it - and buy enough dye for the weight - otherwise you will end up with a grey skirt and not a black one!

Just follow the instructions on the packet :D

Lou
27th-May-2005, 11:32 AM
You say you have alot of material so make sure you weigh it - and buy enough dye for the weight - otherwise you will end up with a grey skirt and not a black one!
Good point - except it'll probably come out a weird shade of olive.... :D

Northants Girly
27th-May-2005, 11:50 AM
Good point - except it'll probably come out a weird shade of olive.... :DTrue - but I like olive :D
Sometimes when dying clothes you can end up with a colour that you just can't get in the shops! :drool:

Graham
27th-May-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm so disappointed - I thought you had clothing which was alive. Now I realise you merely wanted tips on dyeing clothes.

You mention that your skirt is full - just make sure your washing machine won't be over-full, so that the skirt has room to move around and keep the colour even during the cycle. Biggest reason for dyeing being patchy is a lack of "stirring".

TheTramp
27th-May-2005, 12:02 PM
See - I knew my "B" at Fashion & Textiles A-Level would come in handy one day.... :whistle:
My best tip on dying your skirt....

Send it down to Lou! :D

Chicklet
27th-May-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm so disappointed - I thought you had clothing which was alive. Now I realise you merely wanted tips on dyeing clothes.

:rofl: do you know I looked at that, wasn't convinced, went to get a drink, came back and forgot to look again, numpty that I am.!

Thanks all, will report back on Sunday night!!
I need something to wear on 10th Sept and am planning ahead LOL...where's the *looks mysterious* smilie??

drathzel
27th-May-2005, 12:20 PM
Good point - except it'll probably come out a weird shade of olive.... :D
I dyed a pair of white jeans black and they came out a powder petrol blue and everyone thought they were fab.... then i grew out of them :whistle:

Double Trouble
31st-August-2007, 02:50 PM
What ever happens DO NOT wash your skirt with anything other than black stuff after you have dyed it.

I dyed a skirt black last year. When it needed washing I put it in with other dark stuff and the dye came out on to all my other clothes.

Chicklet
31st-August-2007, 04:05 PM
And the update is.....
Two weeks after this thread I was in the hopspital having my back bits cut out.
Two months after that I never thought I'd be dancing in big skirts again (wasn't far wrong there...) so when Heat said yellow was *in* I flogged it on the 'bay making a small profit wot I remember spending on Clarins boob lotion.

I remember thinking that if my back was going to be crappy from now on my front had better be on top form.

C:grin:

Barry Shnikov
31st-August-2007, 04:45 PM
Hold their hands, tell them that we will all meet again in heaven one day, try to make them comfortable, basically just be there for them...

Lory
31st-August-2007, 07:37 PM
Hold their hands, tell them that we will all meet again in heaven one day, try to make them comfortable, basically just be there for them...:rofl:

or

You could always dye them and give them a new lease of life! :na: