PDA

View Full Version : Highs & Lows in 2002

Bill
4th-December-2002, 05:55 PM
Now that we are entering the last few weeks of 2002 I just wondered what memories everyone will have of the Ceroc year! :nice: :wink:

Maybe we should skip over the 'low' - no doubt in my mind what that was ( sorry Franck! :rolleyes: :tears: ) but what about one - or a few of the real highlights from the year !

Was it the first Scottish Comp ? Was it Blackpool ? Dancing with someone for the first time ? Learning a new move ? Seeing someone else dance ?

To start off with I suppose I have a few - some of which seem like years ago now but ................

* Competing in the Advanced section with Fran in Blackpool
* doing double trouble in Blackpool
* being asked to compete in the Scottish team for London -and winning
* doing the double trouble with Fran and Denise - and having fun :D
* demo-ing with Lorna in Aberdeen
* all the blues dances I've had over 12 months :D :D

Lows :

* Anniversary party
* Missing the second round in London
* Missing Beach Boogie

Hope there are a lot more highs than lows ! :cheers:

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 06:47 PM
What a nice idea for a thread Bill.

I hope that everyone has many more highs than lows....

Highs. :grin:
* Teaching a couple of classes at Bognor (with about 600 people in the blues one)
* Coming 2nd in the UK blues competition at Beach Boogie. Having only decided to enter it about 9pm - and being drugged up on painkillers due to the foot (see the lows)
* DJing at Camber, and having so many people tell me that they enjoyed the set
* All the other teaching, DJing and cabarets I've done this year
* Meeting so many nice people all over the UK at dancing, including the party, even if it was so crowded
* Finding this Forum (thanks Lisa & Laura), and getting to know you all better (sorry if I talk too much)
* And finally, like Bill, all the great dances I've had over the year. Thank you to all the people who've danced with me.

Lows: :tears:
* Damaging my ankle at Beach Boogie, 30 minutes after I arrive, playing volleyball...and the fact it's still not healed now
* Not being able to find a regular dance partner who is and can be as committed to doing things as I am (and who doesn't live many miles away)

Steve

Wendy
5th-December-2002, 01:48 AM
Highs :

- having a magical birthday party in January with Franck doing a class and dancing my socks off all night with all those wonderful men - thanks to everyone who came !!! (Do I really have to wait another 10 years before I get another one !!!)

- the Scottish Comps - I was just soooo excited to be there !!!

- dancing in the cabaret team at the comps - scary but fantastic

- being told by Gus that he thought I'd danced well in the cabaret team !!!! (God the fact he noticed me at all !!)

- getting into the final of the lucky dip (thank you Paul !!)

- watching the Dundee team perform at the comps - brilliant !!

- getting to know and dance with my fellow slappers for Franck's birthday surprise (that was the Pans People moment I've been waiting for all my life !!!)

- getting to know some people better (too many to mention and Stuart would cry again if I missed him out by mistake !!)

- THAT workshop in Aberdeen with H and Kirsty - that was just .... better than "better than chocolate" if that's possible !!!!

- inventing BTC and people using it on the forum (it WAS me, wasn't it Bill !!!) - just waiting for the OED to incorporate it in the next edition

- learning THAT Lydia move (still need to practise - as long as you don't mind guys !)

- someone telling me I was the sexiest dancer he'd ever seen (he didn't even charge me much !!)

- staying up really late and talking a load of mince to ErickLondon (I just have to laugh !)

- watching Brady dancing the girl's part with Bill and Brian

- seeing Brady blossom into a fabulous dancer (and I bet he'll just get better and better!)

- dancing with all my heros - who know who you are !!! Thanks Guys for some magical moments

Lows :

Just the one....

Wx

PS Highs for next year will be :

- learning Blues

- learning how to follow !!!

TheTramp
5th-December-2002, 01:57 AM
having a magical birthday party in January with Franck doing a class and dancing my socks off all night with all those wonderful men - thanks to everyone who came !!! (Do I really have to wait another 10 years before I get another one !!!)Was that your 20th then Wendy?? Maybe you could have another one when you turn 21?? (Maybe I could get an invite next time!)

Steve

Wendy
5th-December-2002, 02:07 AM
You smooth talker, you !!!! If I have a party of course you'll be invited !!! But you have to promise not to talk - you'll have to DANCE all night !!! Oh and you'll have to form a cabaret team with kilts ..... and some very entertaining choreography !!!

Now get back on topic or I'll have to take you outside !!!!

Wx

Dave Hancock
5th-December-2002, 09:34 AM
High's

- Getting the opportunity to dance in Aus and New Zealand

- Scottish championship's in October, especially the Caberet (thank's to Bill for organinsing us all

:) )

- The 3 beginner's workshop's I've demo'ed at - had great fun at them all - thanks to Lorna

- H's workshop in Aberdeen and Gus's in Glasgow, very different in styles but both fantastic fun

- Finally just getting to meet lots of other fabby dancers at various venues and parties - thanks for all the dances

Lows

- Only reaaly one and it happened about the 23rd of Nov

Fran
5th-December-2002, 11:06 PM
some of mine would echo Bills -

Best.

Dancing with Bill at Blackpool in our first comp together.

Comming 4th in the "take a chance" at Blackpool cant remember his name, but thankyou.

The whole event of Blackpool - especialy the massages and the reflexology!!- thank you for making the event possiable chance 2 dance!

Being involved in the Scottish team caberet in London, everyone worked so hard - we all had so much fun becoming friends and no fall outs!! ( it was also fabby to win!!!!!!!):grin: :grin:

cottish Competition - winning double trouble with denise and Bill - such fun - thanks Laura:wink:

Blues workshop in January - yummy!!! along with the dances through the year.

The Pitlochery weekend this september - loved every minute -very relaxing, great classes & teachers , lovely hotel, great company & massages:nice: what more could one ask for?

The edinburgh party last saturday - it just felt great fun.

At Boden on a Blitz night during July - had some fabby dances. It was the best night I had had while visiting new venues - they made me feel so welcome when we went.

Watching Bill and Brady have a dance last saturday.-priceless!

Not so great.

being disqualified in London because Bill & I were getting changed for the team event and missed our round.

23rd

Not being able to make Beach Boogie this year :tears: :tears:

so much to lookforward to next year!!

franxx:nice:

Wendy
6th-December-2002, 12:57 AM
Just saw currently active users :

Gus, Bill and Wendy

nearly fainted ...

Wxxxxx

Curtain
6th-December-2002, 03:44 AM
My highs would have to be ...

1. Knowing Bill
2. Working with Lorna
3. Watching Lisa graduate from taxi dancer to teacher
4. Being a Ceroc Deejay (better than normal deejaying)
5. Having a laugh on the forum
6. Deejaying at the 10th Anniversary (I thought it was great)

My Lows would have to be ...

1. Knowing Bill :wink:
2. Listening to Blues music :tears:

Sandy
6th-December-2002, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill
[B]Now that we are entering the last few weeks of 2002 I just wondered what memories everyone will have of the Ceroc year! :nice: :wink:
QUOTE]

Letting Sandra talk me into going to a ceroc class - has changed my life - honestly!

First dances with Bill and Franck - Wow!

Meeting all the new folk at Ceroc at weekly classes, home and away

Going to the Ceroc parties

Going to the Scottish championships, being **** scared and I wasn't even competing! (managed to head butt Dave H and fall off chair as well!)

'H' workshop on Sunday in particular

Being able to dance at all and finally having the confidence to ask fabby dancers like those mentioned above and others like Dave H, John S and many many more

Watching Lorna's tummy go from very round to flat and slim! Taking a class right up to the end almost of her pregnancy.

Lorna, Bill, Mark and Paul doing the Ceroc party for Sandra's birthday - fab night

Discovering forum but tend to rabble!

Lows -

Head butting Dave H at championships!

Taking too long to ask good dancers to dance

Not being able to go to all the parties - especially Xmas ones!

Not being able to dance like Lorna, Lisa etc but will keep on trying

Sandy

:wink:

Lorna
6th-December-2002, 10:59 AM
Hi all,

here are some of my highs for the year:

1. Giving birth to my daughter on the night of the National Ceroc Championships. (5th May, reckon I gave that final push just as Scotland were winning the team cabaret)

2. Being asked to teach on a ceroc holiday next November in Las Palmas.

3. Being the luckiest Ceroc teacher in Scotland as I have the coolest demonstator ever, Bill.

4. Having a new partner in crime, the lovely Lisa.

5. Having such a laugh on stage with DJ Curtain, he truly is a funny guy.

6. Holding the title of 'Brady's favourite Ceroc Teacher' for all of one night when he demoed for me at 'that' Aberdeen party.

7. The forum

8. The Scottish Champs

9. The 10th Anniversary Party.

10. Finally, he does have his moments, but working with original Cerocer himself, Franck. :wink:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Jayne
6th-December-2002, 11:44 AM
Surely it can't be the end of the year already???!!

My dancing highs (in no particular order) are:

- The Scottish Competition - wasn't it a great day? Great to meet and dance with so many people, great atmosphere and it did my confidence the world of good!

- Taking part in the Glasgow Cabaret - hard work but *definitely* worth it!!

- Celtic connections ceilidhs back in January - so many nice young men in kilts.... *sigh* :grin:

- Starting to learn some Argentinean Tango - so much more to learn....

- The ceroc busk in Glasgow city centre - such a hoot! And it was on one of the four sunny days we had in Glasgow this year!!! (Thanks to the firemen I discovered that I can "spot" when I spin... :wink: )

- Winning the Burt Bacharach tickets at Vegas with Stuart. :D (I guess the limbo win also goes in here...)

- The V&L workshop and THAT move....

and finally,

- Appreciating that there was more to dancing than moving. Sounds odd and I guess I've always known it but it's only recently that I've really appreciated it. In with this is discovering the meaning (and dancers!!) of B.T.C.

Thank you for all the good times!

As for the dancing lows of the year...

...can someone please explain the oxymoron "dancing low" to me please???

Already brushing up the shoes for another fun and dance filled year next year!

Jayne
:nice:

Bill
6th-December-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Curtain
My Lows would have to be ...

1. Knowing Bill :wink:
2. Listening to Blues music :tears:

You are just so witty Mr Curtain........:rolleyes: :na:

Just when you finally start playing some decent music as well !!!!!!!..................mind you most of the good ones are mine :D :cheers:

Keep going ......... one day you'll really enjoy the blues :cheers: :D

SwingSwingSwing
6th-December-2002, 01:41 PM
Great question Bill. It certainly got me thinking about things.

Anwyay, here's my dancing highs and lows for 2002.

Highs
Learning some smooth style lindy
My general lindy improvement
Hasse & Marie's Boogie Woogie workshops at Chateau Jive
Entering the twilight world of a dance DJ
People liking what I play when in the dance DJ twilight world
Finally getting my Shorty George's looking right
Seeing Steven Mitchell dance in the flesh at Coventry

Lows
The Ceroc 10 year anniversary
Damaging my calf muscle in May. (and it's still not fully healed)
Not going to Herrang
Still not being able to do a Shim Sham (although I'm getting there)

Cheers

SwingSwingSwing

Lindsay
6th-December-2002, 02:35 PM
Highs :D

Herrang dance camp, Sweden
Hasse & Marie- Boogie Woogie at Chateau Jive- out of this world.
Sultans of Swing- Steve and Virginie
Scottish Ceroc comp- a great day

Lows :mad:

Glasgow bash
Beach Boogie- just wasn't the same without Fran, Bill and Flo!

SwingSwingSwing
6th-December-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Highs :D
Herrang dance camp, Sweden

Talk about kicking a man when he's down. :tears: You're just rubbing it in aren't you.

Right, that's it. I'm not dancing with you tomorrow night.
:wink:

SwingSwingSwing

Lindsay
6th-December-2002, 04:14 PM
It was amazing... so many fantastic teachers under one roof (or should that be tent).... It truly was BTC and perhaps even BTS. . .?? rub rub rub...

You are such a stylish swing boy these days, SSS, you just HAVE to make an appearance at THE biggest annual dance event in the world!! You can' t miss it next year dude! Hasse, Marie, Stevie, Virginie, Chester, Rhythm Hot Shots, Cookie, Chazz, Frankie, Janice, Skye.... The jamming sessions were something else! www.herrang.com

Re. 2morrow night - of course u will! Especially BW numbers if Ruth doesn't grab you first :wink:

Gadget
6th-December-2002, 06:46 PM
Took me a while to consider this since 99.999% of my dancing ceroc has been a 'high'

Highs:
starting Ceroc again at Culter; took an extended break, came back to a great venue
every night I can dance.
dancing at a party with people that had never danced (ceroc) before and being able to lead them. (Although several of the husbands/partners didn't approve; they were being nagged for days afterwards to take it up! :innocent::grin: )
Dancing to cool music (well most of the time anyway :wink: )
10th anniversary party - may be listed in some people's lows, but I had a great time!
Dancing new moves.
Being able to pick up routines quicker now than at the beginning of the year.
Being asked to dance by anyone.
Every compliment on my dancing I receive. (rare enough to deserve a mention)
Dancing with everyone.

Lows:
being stupid enough to get blisters by wear new shoes to Ceroc instead of breaking them in first
getting all revved up to dance & not being able to make it.
getting phone calls every evening I'm going to dance saying "do you have to go?"
knowing I will have to give up Ceroc again for an extended period in February. (May give up this forum as well; no point in getting envious of you lot :tears: )

CJ
7th-December-2002, 04:47 AM
High:
Top C in Bat Out of Hell

Low:
Bottom G in Ol' Man River. (just once though.)

Jon
7th-December-2002, 02:29 PM
Highs
- Making so many new Ceroc friends
- Going out with those friends for non dancing evenings
- First time at Camber Sands. What an experience.
- Learning Blues with Nigel & Nina at Camber
- Finding a dance partner who I dance extremely well with. And having so many people say we look good together.
- Learning the lady moves
- Becoming a Taxi dancer
- Surviving my first Taxi night. What a high (definately a chocolate moment)
- Seeing people I know become Taxi dancers / Demonstrators
- Watching peoples style change for the better
- Filling in on stage for the regular demonstrator
- Doing a Dirty Dancing workshop with 2 of my favourite Ceroc teachers.

Lows
- Loosing my dance partner for the next year due to a knee operation
- Ceroc venues closing on Dec 24,25,26. What will I do!

Emma
7th-December-2002, 07:53 PM
Dancing Highs -

- My first night at Ceroc last February; walked out of the venue a foot and a half off the floor, mainly because of Kelly Hudson. Thanks, babe.
- Making so many new and utterly fantastic friends.
- All the dancing. D'uh.
- Camber. Oh..Camber. :) Roll on Bognor!

Dancing Lows -

- Getting turned down for dances (I know: I'm too sensitive).

Steven
7th-December-2002, 08:35 PM
Dancing Highs :

1. Starting ceroc back in feburary.
2. All the new friends I have met through dancing.
3. Being asked to dance in the Dundee Cabaret Team.
4. The Scottish Comp - what a day that was!!! :grin: :grin:
5. Gus's workshops on 23rd (especially club jive one).
6. 10th anniversary party plus the party that continued back at the travel inn.
7. Dundee party last night.
8. And last but not least dancing every wednesday at dundee.

Dancing Lows :

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days (how sad is that!!) and last night managed to provide me with my one and only low!

1. After the Dundee party we converged on Deja Vu where the DJ committed the ultimate crime of playing Madness but not just once he played 6 of their songs in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :reallymad :reallymad

Cheers
Steven

Sharon
7th-December-2002, 09:15 PM
Nice to know I'll be missed Jon. Will see you on Monday at Welling or if you prefer come round for Sunday lunch around 12.30.:kiss:

Tiggerbabe
7th-December-2002, 11:26 PM
Highs -

In no particular order:-

Chateau Jive in April - a fab weekend in glorious surroundings.

Chance2dance in Blackpool - great fun, great dancing and the Milk Tray Boys - who could forget them?

Double Trouble Workshop - H & Kirsty Workshop in Glasgow and Aberdeen, Gus' Workshops but most especially the Club Jive One.

West coast Swing classes with Diane and Graham and finally learning how to Cha Cha.

The Scottish Championships in Musselburgh - what a day!
Dancing with Elliot in the lucky dip (having said to everyone on the Saturday night that I was definitely going to ask that young man for a dance on the Sunday!)
Dancing in the Double Trouble with Dave and Heather - great fun!
Winning the Team Cabaret with the rest of the Dundee Crew - we were totally high for weeks after, what a fab bunch of people.

All of the parties I've been to over the year - including the 23rd November, I've had some brilliant dances, thanks guys (and girls!)

Meeting so many new people thanks to this forum - Well done Franck.

Lows -

Glasgow and Aberdeen parties finishing at 12 midnight - what's that all about?

Not being able to go to all the events I want to.

TheTramp
8th-December-2002, 03:52 AM
the Milk Tray Boys - who could forget themI'll be seeing Andy on Tuesday, I'll pass on your best wishes.

Scarily, I took Ben's place for a cabaret in North Wales when he was unavailable. Never again!!!

Steve

John S
8th-December-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

Scarily, I took Ben's place for a cabaret in North Wales when he was unavailable. Never again!!!

Steve

I was there - and despite your protestations now, you looked as if you enjoyed every minute of it at the time, and the lingerie looked great - whose was it???:wink:

TheTramp
8th-December-2002, 03:04 PM
Ssssshhhhhh!!!!

I thought I'd paid everyone enough NEVER to mention that!

Steve

Fran
8th-December-2002, 07:35 PM
Ssssshhhhhh!!!!

I thought I'd paid everyone enough NEVER to mention that!

Steve

dont worry, its when you get the shoes as well - then you will never live it down:wink: :wink: your secret is safe with us :nice:

I forget to add my Graduation/birthday party in August to my lists of highs:sorry :sorry it was fabby!!! and another thankyou to everyone that turned up and Scott for doing the music:kiss:

some of my non - ceroc friends in the village came to it and they are still going to the classes!:nice: Now they say they understand what I had been going on about for the past 3 years!

fran:nice:

Fran
8th-December-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by John S

I was there - and despite your protestations now, you looked as if you enjoyed every minute of it at the time, and the lingerie looked great - whose was it???:wink:

what colour was the lingerie?

fran:wink:

Floyd
8th-December-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Steven

... the DJ committed the ultimate crime of playing Madness but not just once he played 6 of their songs in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :reallymad :reallymad

Cheers
Steven

Sounds good to me... beats Kylie etc.

Steven
8th-December-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Floyd
Sounds good to me... beats Kylie etc. Good was not the word that sprung to my mind!! :what:

Steven

Tiggerbabe
8th-December-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Steven
Good was not the word that sprung to my mind!! :what: Which explains the look of sheer joy that was on your face:mad: :eek: :sick:

The rest of the MAd crew had a blast - :D

and even Franck was dancing like a Mad(ness)man - nothing unusual there then?:wink:

Floyd
8th-December-2002, 11:55 PM
Nice to know it's not just me!

TheTramp
9th-December-2002, 12:56 AM
what colour was the lingerie?
Ummm..... I can't remember. And I'm absolutely NOT going to post any pictures from it. And neither is John S!

Steve

Fran
9th-December-2002, 01:01 AM
Ummm..... I can't remember. And I'm absolutely NOT going to post any pictures from it. And neither is John S!just could'nt make up my mind if you would be more of a pastel shade or a vibrant one, but what ever it was I am sure it was lovely:wink: :wink: :devil:

franx:nice:

TheTramp
9th-December-2002, 01:05 AM
If you want to bring some of yours next time I see you Fran, I'll try them on, and we can see.... :sorry

Steve

Heather
10th-December-2002, 10:30 PM
:D 2002 Highs!!!
Not all of my 'highs' are dance related, so bear with me!!

- Feb/March- Jive Championships in Blackpool, first time ever in a competition of any kind, (only entered the Lucky Dip) but had a great time, lots of fun and laughs!! Great venue!
- April - Chateau Jive, Airth Castle, brilliant weekend,great hotel,fantastic atmoshere, loved every minute.
-June- Winning the Mezzo-Soprano Competition at the Aberdeen Music Festival and being invited back to sing in the All Winners Concerty on the Friday evening.
-July - Holiday in Greece, chilling out in the glorious sunshine!!!
-August- Singing an impromptu duet of 'Stride la Vampa' (Il Trovatore),with a real live Italian Mezzo-Sopranoin Frascati, Italy.
(After a few glasses of the local vintage):wink
-October- Playing the role of 'Alice' in 'Lucia di Lammermoor' with Tayside Opera.
- October- The Scottish Ceroc Competition in Musselburgh. Wonderful event, great atmosphere, first of many, I hope!!!
- Dancing with the lovely Brady in the Intermediate Competition.
- Being part of the winning Dundee Team Cabaret.
- November- Gorgeous Gus Workshops in Glasgow !!:D
-Ceroc 10th Anniversary Party in Glasgow- YES, I DID have a great time, even if it was a bit crowded, it just made it easier to get all the closer to the lovely men I danced with!!!!:wink: :wink:
-Organising 'Franck's Birthday Surprise', I'll never forget the look on his face!! (Or the rehearsals in my dining room)
-All the Ceroc parties over the course of the year.
- Making lots of new friends through the Ceroc Forum- Top marks to Franck for creating one of the best things to happen in the Ceroc world.

Lows
-Were there any??
Yes, being asked to teach the 'Legions of Hell' (Primary7) for the session 2002-2003. But I will survive
:sick: !!
:cheers:
Heather,
:kiss: :kiss:
Here's to next year!!!!!:D

John S
11th-December-2002, 02:37 AM
Ummm..... I can't remember. And I'm absolutely NOT going to post any pictures from it. And neither is John S!

Steve

But Steve, surely you remember the Monty Python "Blackmail" sketch, where the revelations keep coming, and the price keeps going up, until the victim eventually phones in with the money?

Well ........ I do have photos ............
:yum:

DaveD
15th-December-2002, 01:27 PM
My own highs and a few lows were

* Musselburgh, Scottish championships - a wild weekend! Looking forward to next year's already

* Being part of the Dundee cabaret team - great bunch of people, lot of laughs during rehearsals, great reception at the competition

* Doing double trouble with Sheena and Heather at Musselburgh - thanks girls!

* Our 25th Wedding anniversary party in August - loads of Ceroc friends there, plus lots of non-Cerocing friends who hopefully will give it a shot!

* Blackpool - great weekend, great venue

* Heather & team's "get the party started" routine for Franck's birthday at Glasgow - brilliant

* Scot's team cabaret rehearsal at Dundee

Lows

* 2311 Great atmosphere- just not enough space

* Missing Hammersmith this year - especially since Scot's team won the cabaret routine

TheTramp
15th-December-2002, 01:32 PM
Well ........ I do have photos ............
Okie, so what will it take to ensure that these never again see the light of day??? :what:

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2002, 03:09 PM
Whatever he's offering John - Ill double it ;)

TheTramp
15th-December-2002, 04:12 PM
Ummm....

DS.

You can't do that.

It's mean :tears:

Steve

John S
15th-December-2002, 04:29 PM
I'm waiting for Max Clifford and the News of the World to finalise their bid for the syndicate rights.:na:

TheTramp
15th-December-2002, 04:34 PM
Eeek!

*runs for the hills*

Steve

Sharon
24th-December-2002, 10:11 AM
I agree with all your highs and lows Jon - only 47 weeks to go before I start dancing again - we'll have to celebrate in style!

Mind you it's great fun watching ceroc from the sidelines.