PDA

View Full Version : Different Postal Services

Clive Long
25th-May-2005, 12:19 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know of a relatively economic (i.e. cheap) way to send small-ish parcels in the UK? I'm trying to offload a lot of my "stuff" to better homes through EBay.

I posted two books recently, weight about 1.2kg each. The charge was 5 quid !!! That's outrageous in my opinion. No second-class option.

Now I'm in principle against fragmentation of postal services among different suppliers because I think it must disadvantage remote / rural communities (cf. bus services, public telephones etc), however, the "Royal" Mail (give me "Post Office" anyday) aren't endearing me with their prices - even though we have a silhouette of our glorious and majestic monarch (gawd bless 'er) on the stamps.

Clive

P.S. Anyone near N12 want to buy a new, unused sexy PC case (no power supply) I bought at Maplins for £29? Anyoffers. Buyer collects.

azande
25th-May-2005, 12:35 PM
You should charge the buyer p&p. Everybody does that on ebay.

Clive Long
25th-May-2005, 01:52 PM
You should charge the buyer p&p. Everybody does that on ebay.
I did - I just completely underestimated the cost - and I still think a fiver is outrageous to mail a book - hence question still stands.

Chicklet
26th-May-2005, 08:49 AM
You should float off all your unpostmarked incoming stamps and stick them on again with a pritt stick.

And you should probably have started doing this in 1979, like me.
And if you're really keen you can join a campaign to erradicate the use of big white stickers instead of proper commemorative postage stamps :D
(the little queeny definitives are soooo out of favour, as there are far too few perforation errors these days)

I could go on....

El Salsero Gringo
26th-May-2005, 09:10 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know of a relatively economic (i.e. cheap) way to send small-ish parcels in the UK? I'm trying to offload a lot of my "stuff" to better homes through EBay.Unless you have a great deal of regular business, the cheapest for small packages I found was the Post Office, Recorded Signed-for service, closely followed by their Special Delivery Next Day. I couldn't find any other carrier that was interested in walk-in small volume business.