PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Hipsters

Minnie M
23rd-May-2005, 01:33 PM
Its our 3rd Birthday on Tuesday 24th May and as a big thank you to everyone thats supported us over the past 3 years we are giving free entry to everyone for the whole evening!

I'm coming up with Andy & Sue McGregor, Mr & Mrs Under Par and Boozie Bird (not all in the same car though)

Who else is going ?

Danielle
23rd-May-2005, 01:45 PM
I'll be there as always :clap: :clap: :clap:

Minnie M
23rd-May-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm coming up with Andy & Sue McGregor, Mr & Mrs Under Par and Boozie Bird (not all in the same car though)

Who else is going ?

and Winnie is coming too :clap:

Katie
24th-May-2005, 12:50 PM
Who else is going ?

I'm coming along tonight!

marty_baby
25th-May-2005, 11:45 PM
Hiya All,

Last night at Hipsters was good! :nice:

Still don't get it though - why was it a free night? (Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just curious!)

1st time I did a class in London for ages and ages..... It was the WCS downstairs. Beginners was quiet, but Intermeadiates was pretty busy.

Does everyone normally disappear straight away after the WCS class though? Or was it a cse of people going upstairs to join the special occasion? (The reason I ask is because I'd like to do the WCS again, next time I'm down in London, but bit put off that no-one wants to free stlye it afterwards)

Freestyle upstairs was brilliant.... JB rocked the joint! met up with loads of friends I met at weekenders away etc.... some from oxford even...

Hey Minnie, I danced with a Winnie last night! She was from Brighton I think she said.... that wasn't not your winnie is it?? aaahhh bless... small world....

Saw that LilyB was there... She looked admazing as always!... :) did try to ask for a dance... but I think the guys were queueing around the block! or at least congregating around that part of the dance floor!

Martin
:cheers:

Minnie M
26th-May-2005, 12:34 AM
..............Last night at Hipsters was good..../snip/........Hey Minnie, I danced with a Winnie last night! She was from Brighton I think she said.... that wasn't not your winnie is it?? aaahhh bless... small world...
Sure is a small world Martin, Winnie and I came up together and she told me on the way back she met this guy called Martin from Bristol who was working in London :eek: when I told her you must be marty_baby we were both gutted :tears: I missed out on my dance and I could have introduced you to all the other forumites there that evening :sad:

Winnie described you to me, and now I know who you are, you wont get away from us next time :flower:

BTW Winnie is on the forum too as "Winnie"

Minnie M (aka Lynda)
:hug:

Ballroom queen
26th-May-2005, 12:36 AM

Still don't get it though - why was it a free night? (Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just curious!)

Does everyone normally disappear straight away after the WCS class though?

I heard it was packed, is that a good thing??? (no space to dance, get hit etc)

Free - to get people back from nose quins (we still had lots, and it was FAB :clap: ) (me, cynical...???)

Disappear??? Freestyle is upstairs!!!

Minnie M
26th-May-2005, 12:39 AM
It was Hipsters 3rd Birthday (name of thread :whistle: ) - I think they did the same for the 2 previous birthdays

David Bailey
26th-May-2005, 07:55 AM

:yeah: :yeah:

Does everyone normally disappear straight away after the WCS class though? Or was it a cse of people going upstairs to join the special occasion?
Dunno, I only realized the downstairs was open when I saw people in there when I went to the loo :)
I normally only do Hipsters on the Phat Friday thing, and there's a salsa session downstairs, so I vary from one room to another - I have to pay twice, but hey, it's a Friday night...

Hey Minnie, I danced with a Winnie last night!
Mmm, I also had a couple of great dances with Winnie :flower:

Sure is a small world Martin ... I missed out on my dance and I could have introduced you to all the other forumites there that evening :sad:
You're scarily sociable sometimes, Ms Mouse... :D

I heard it was packed, is that a good thing??? (no space to dance, get hit etc)
No, it was fine - certainly better than Fridays, which often are packed out upstairs. Just the right amount, I'd say. I was a bit worried about the numbers, it being free and all, but it was great in the end. A good night, I was glad I went.

Free - to get people back from nose quins (we still had lots, and it was FAB :clap: ) (me, cynical...???)
Hey, you'd have to go a long way to be more cynical than me - but in this case, no, I don't believe so. From what Minnie said, it's a birthday tradition. If anything, one could argue that, as Hipsters has been going for 3 years (and 2 days :) ), nose quins is trying to cut into their action.

But A/ these are two different audiences, and B/ London's big enough to have two good partner dance venues in one night.

If you want competition-conspiracy theories, of course, I could always point you to North London on Monday... :whistle:

Also, and it's bugging me now, what are "quins"?? :confused:

under par
26th-May-2005, 08:01 AM
:yeah: :yeah:

Now David, a woman has two children from the same pregnancy they are called TWINS.....three = TRIPLETS......

.....................you know where I'm going here don't you? :rofl:

Seriously though I think it a shortening of "SEQUINS" worn by the dancers

David Bailey
26th-May-2005, 08:42 AM
Now David, a woman has two children from the same pregnancy they are called TWINS.....three = TRIPLETS......

.....................you know where I'm going here don't you? :rofl:

What, you want to have my babies? :confused:

We barely know each other :blush: I mean, I know your team won and everyhting, but really - get some sleep, man... :whistle:

Seriously though I think it a shortening of "SEQUINS" worn by the dancers
Amazingly enough, I got the "nosequins = nose quins" thing, I just couldn't see what the "quins" had to do with anything.

I'm guessing, not much basically, I'm probably looking to create order out of the formless void with this one. Was hoping it was one of these Cool Terms Young People Use Nowdays... :sad:

Ballroom queen
28th-May-2005, 11:11 AM
No, it was fine - certainly better than Fridays, which often are packed out upstairs. Just the right amount, I'd say. I was a bit worried about the numbers, it being free and all, but it was great in the end. A good night, I was glad I went.

thats good then - I like Fridays, but they are too busy

Hey, you'd have to go a long way to be more cynical than me - but in this case, no, I don't believe so. From what Minnie said, it's a birthday tradition. If anything, one could argue that, as Hipsters has been going for 3 years (and 2 days :) ), nose quins is trying to cut into their action.

I did say I was being cynical, anyway, not wishing to be contraversial, but it could be argued that hipsters cut into ceroc's action 3 years ago (don't get me wrong - I stopped going to ceroc for hipsters, and stopped going to hipsters for nosequins, but my belief is these things go in cycles, and I was getting bored of hipsters anyway and needed a change.

But A/ these are two different audiences, and B/ London's big enough to have two good partner dance venues in one night.

the audiences are not that different - I see a lot of ex hipsters people at nosequins, and some current hipsters people saw some nosequiners at the free night, however, london is big enough to cope.

Strictly no sequins ... nosequins ... quins... just laziness really. But then I never really got the phat in phat friday!!!

David Bailey
28th-May-2005, 11:39 AM
I did say I was being cynical, anyway, not wishing to be contraversial, but it could be argued that hipsters cut into ceroc's action 3 years ago (don't get me wrong - I stopped going to ceroc for hipsters, and stopped going to hipsters for nosequins, but my belief is these things go in cycles, and I was getting bored of hipsters anyway and needed a change.

Actually, talking to a couple of people this week, I think you're right - Hipsters probably has lost business to nosequins. Strange really, you'd think they're two different audiences, but a lot of ex-hipsterites are probably now nosequinians (or whatever).

I suspect the Friday sessions are still pretty darned busy though...

Strictly no sequins ... nosequins ... quins... just laziness really. But then I never really got the phat in phat friday!!!
Yes, these young people and their cool words... :tears:

Ballroom queen
28th-May-2005, 03:07 PM
Actually, talking to a couple of people this week, I think you're right - Hipsters probably has lost business to nosequins. Strange really, you'd think they're two different audiences, but a lot of ex-hipsterites are probably now nosequinians (or whatever).

I suspect the Friday sessions are still pretty darned busy though...

Yes, these young people and their cool words... :tears:

I would suggest that hipsters and nosequins have similar audiences - hipsters was created for the more advanced dancer who wanted more, and it did that, but IMHO there is a limit to the modern jive advanced moves, and 3 years on, the advanced dancer who wants more tries ... Lindy, west coast, ballroom, latin, tango, salsa - nosequins has filled a gap of a large class teaching ballroom and latin where people change partner. Therefore may I sugegst it has a similar audience to hipsters. Obviously there are those who prefer different music types - may I suggest they move onto Lindy, west coast etc???

Ohhh you called me young, thankyou :clap: