PDA

View Full Version : Rhubarb recipes please

Clive Long
22nd-May-2005, 07:48 PM
There are not enough recipes and knitting patterns on this forum

Rhubarb is in season. All I can think of is Rhubarb crumble (yummy though it is)

Any other suggestions on what to do with my rhubarb? (don't even think it ESG, DS, DJ, CJ etc. etc.)

Bangers & Mash
22nd-May-2005, 07:50 PM

Rhubarb is in season. All I can think of is Rhubarb crumble (yummy though it is)

Any other suggestions on what to do with my rhubarb? (don't even think it ESG, DS, DJ, CJ etc. etc.)

boil it in water
add sugar
when it's mushy
add custard
eat it!

problem solved :rofl:

Feelingpink
22nd-May-2005, 07:53 PM
boil it in water
add sugar
when it's mushy
add custard
eat it!

problem solved :rofl:

Well that's the knitting pattern dealt with ... what about a rhubarb recipe? :devil:

David Bailey
22nd-May-2005, 07:56 PM
Gotta say, I've always hated Rhubarb - it's the only type of crumble I dislike. Strawberry and apple crumble, that's the ticket.
Take some strawberries, some apples, some crumble mixture, and... give it to your Mum to do properly. That's my recipe.

Feelingpink
22nd-May-2005, 08:12 PM
Gotta say, I've always hated Rhubarb - it's the only type of crumble I dislike. Strawberry and apple crumble, that's the ticket.
Take some strawberries, some apples, some crumble mixture, and... give it to your Mum to do properly. That's my recipe.

Perhaps, but do you know how attractive is the man who can cook well? I have delicious and not-too-distant memories of a chap who made me paella followed by chocolate mousse, containing seriously good chocolate. To watch him chopping chicken and chorizo like his grandmother had shown him while I watched, drinking chilled white wine was pure bliss. I would have done almost anything for him after that meal. :devil:

philsmove
22nd-May-2005, 10:03 PM
Raw dipped in sugar

:drool:

Bangers & Mash
22nd-May-2005, 10:27 PM
Perhaps, but do you know how attractive is the man who can cook well? I have delicious and not-too-distant memories of a chap who made me paella followed by chocolate mousse.... I would have done almost anything for him after that meal. :devil:

I do a pretty mean cheese and crackers, with wine or port, followed by chocolate mouse, or yoghurt or ice cream. :wink:

`
Raw dipped in sugar

When I was a kid, I remember going scrumping for rhubarb complete with penknife to peel them, small fork to dig them up, and trainers to outrun dogs
:blush:

drathzel
22nd-May-2005, 10:28 PM
Raw dipped in sugar

yum yum i always loved rubarb dipped in sugar but was never allowed it when i was younger cuz it would give me tummy ache (so my mum said!) :tears:

Bangers & Mash
22nd-May-2005, 10:39 PM
Now, I'm hungry and I know I have some fresh rhubarb in the fridge back home :tears:

Clive Long
22nd-May-2005, 10:42 PM
Now, I'm hungry and I know I have some fresh rhubarb in the fridge back home :tears:
Mine has just finished cooking and I'm adding the sugar .... while watching "Martha meet Daniel, Frank and Lawrence" ...

Barry Shnikov
23rd-May-2005, 12:11 AM

Um, boil with a little sugar - not too much - and a pinch of ginger. Try not to let it become stewed. Remove the rhubarb pieces and reduce the fluid until it's syrupy. Add the pieces back to the sauce.

Whip an egg white with sugar until forming stiff peaks. Take some good quality single cream, and fold the beaten egg white into the cream. Fold in the rhubarb.

Serve with shortcake.

Mary
23rd-May-2005, 12:13 AM
Tony has made rhubarb wine. Ask him for the recipe.

I have made a rhubarb tea. It's a long chilled drink and quite refreshing (and non-alcoholic).

Speaking of men that can cook, I had the date from heaven once (well almost). His house, excellent year vintage champagne, some exquisite fish dish cooked in individual paper parcels with some kind of wine and herbs, can't remember the pudding, ace classical piano player, handsome, educated, cultured. He was keen - I wasn't in the end I'm afraid. :D

M

philsmove
23rd-May-2005, 02:14 AM
,................. can't remember the pudding, ...........
M

Wasn’t Rhubarb crumble then :whistle:

Barry Shnikov
23rd-May-2005, 08:38 AM

I have made a rhubarb tea. It's a long chilled drink and quite refreshing (and non-alcoholic).

Speaking of men that can cook, I had the date from heaven once (well almost). His house, excellent year vintage champagne, some exquisite fish dish cooked in individual paper parcels with some kind of wine and herbs, can't remember the pudding, ace classical piano player, handsome, educated, cultured. He was keen - I wasn't in the end I'm afraid. :D

M

Blimey, what does a bloke have to do to win your heart? :sick:

David Bailey
23rd-May-2005, 08:51 AM
Perhaps, but do you know how attractive is the man who can cook well?
Well, they don't do much for me :whistle:

And I didn't say I couldn't cook - just can't do rhubarb crumble, no interest. But I do a mean "Call-to-Dominos-pizza"... :)

DianaS
24th-May-2005, 10:43 AM
Try Rhubard and ginger Jam
Its lovely slightly spicy and great on toast with melting butter

Nick M
24th-May-2005, 10:34 PM

Cut 3lb rhubarb into one-inch lengths. Layer them in a clean bucket or fermenting bin. Cover with 3lb sugar. Leave for a day - the sugar will draw the juice out of the rhubarb and turn to syrup. Pour a gallon of boiling water over the syrup, add half a pound of chopped sultanas (to give body), allow to cool and add wine yeast and ferment on in a demijohn.

I won a prize in balfron flower show with that recipe

Clive Long
24th-May-2005, 10:40 PM
Cut 3lb rhubarb into one-inch lengths. Layer them in a clean bucket or fermenting bin. Cover with 3lb sugar. Leave for a day - the sugar will draw the juice out of the rhubarb and turn to syrup. Pour a gallon of boiling water over the syrup, add half a pound of chopped sultanas (to give body), allow to cool and add wine yeast and ferment on in a demijohn.

I won a prize in balfron flower show with that recipe
I have the kit.
I will make the time.
I will raise myself from my slothfullness and give it a go.
Still drinking some plum from a couple of years ago - it is strange stuff - best introduced as the third bottle of the evening - but keeps the evening jollying along.

Clive

JoC
30th-June-2005, 02:11 PM
Aha! Found it again!

Rhubarb and Custard muffins...

Gas Mark 4 for 20 mins

150g golden caster sugar
85ml sunflower oil
1 med free-range egg
200ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
400g young tender rhubarb, chopped small
300g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
200ml cold, thick custard
pinch salt

Whisk the sugar, oil, egg, milk & vanilla until combined, then stir in the rhubarb. Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger and pinch of salt into a bowl, then fold this gently into the rhubarb mixture. Spoon the mixture into about 12-15 muffin cases set in a bun tin, and top each with a teaspoonful of custard, poking it down a little into the mixture.
Bake at 180C/350F/gas4 for 20 mins until well risen.

I can't bake, but a colleague (who can bake) made these and brought them into work. :yum:

Clive Long
20th-August-2005, 10:48 AM
Blackberries are out.

I picked 3 kilos in an hour (with a little helper) last weekend. Some were tasteless other were just bursting with flavour. There were (are) just loads of them out there.

Fresh blackberries eaten with cream (oops, there goes my waist-line), two blackberry and apple crumbles made, blackberry wine on the go.

Get out there and get some.

Clive

JoC
20th-August-2005, 08:35 PM
Blackberries are out.Yum! Have you seen a book called Food For Free? Keep meaning to buy it myself, might be right up your street Clive if you're into collecting your dinner from wild hedgerows. :)

Blackberries aren't ready yet here, at least not in the little hollow where I live. I'm going to make a trip to my secret gathering place though in a few weeks now you've reminded me!

Ballroom queen
21st-August-2005, 12:17 AM

I agree

Anyone able to tell me how I know when my apples are ready to pick? I have three small trees, one with one red apple on, one with a few medium to large bramley's and one with quite a few green eating apples on.

I'd hate them to fall off when I wasn't looking!! :rofl: :rofl:

Clive Long
21st-August-2005, 12:22 AM
I agree

Anyone able to tell me how I know when my apples are ready to pick? I have three small trees, one with one red apple on, one with a few medium to large bramley's and one with quite a few green eating apples on.

I'd hate them to fall off when I wasn't looking!! :rofl: :rofl:
I was told if you twist them twice along the axis of their stalk and they come off, they are ready. If they stay on the tree, leave 'em for a week (or at least a few days) and try again.

Clive